• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Destructoid] Leaked photo of NX controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.
¬¬

An UE4 tech demo, perhaps...?
Maybe the elemental or a new demo altogether. 62 dos certainly is interesting and could give credit to the crunching so many polygons and normal computers not being able to run it (62fps) maybe svogi enabled if it is UE4

bomblord1

Banned
Dude, there's a difference between that and this.
Nintendo2-noscale-noscale.jpg

The Wii U gamepad is clearly based on an engineering drawing and is a patent for the device as a whole, whilst this shit is something someone cobbled together in 2 seconds to demonstrate a single concept. They're not exactly compatible.

And that doesn't look even remotely like the final shape of the wiiU pad...

This would be the dumbest thing

Though to be fair WiiU does support pro controllers

So if they want to experiment?..... Again like the WiiU concept i fail to see how a controller like this could elevate the medium

Ill bet on VR instead

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Kotaku writers, if you're reading this, I hope you're looking into this matter and can get us some more info.

My gut reaction is what the fuck is that? But retrospective of Nintendo back to their beginnings, they do innovate pretty consistently and I'll hold any judgments until I know more. But wow, it is strange looking.

Draper

Alright guys, it's time we pledge our allegiance.

For better or worse, this feels very Nintendo to me. When I saw this picture, I felt the same way I felt about the Wii and to a lesser extent, the Wii U- It's unique, albeit a little silly, but also seems kinda advance for a company I tend to always expect little from in that regard.

So for these reasons:

#TeamReal

Roo

I don't know, man.
Nintendo-Wii-U-Patent-Image-300x300.jpg

Looks relatively representative to the final product to me. If this is really the NX controller, it'd be hard for the patent to be that much simpler than the final product, given how simple the controller is, design wise.

nx_patent_1.jpg

The "leak" controller is missing both of the parts where you rest your hand/thumb tho... forgot how they're called.

takoyaki

I agree. It looks awesome. I'm thinking people aren't quite understanding what this controller can actually do based on the patent applications. Another game changer imo(no pun intended).

Agreed, this could be great if it is real. Think about holding a smartphone that is more comfortable to hold and has real sticks instead of digital ones. Add feedback to the digital buttons like the steam controller does and the option for them to disappear if they aren't needed. The main screen could switch between TV and controller depending on what's best for each game, similar to the WiiU. This could be the answer to traditional games as well as smartphone games working on the same device.

#TeamReal

MilkBeard

Always thought this design looked terrible, back when the plan leaked. This image doesn't change my mind.

It looks awful. Nintendo don't do it.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I need someone to highlight the "E.T." portion of the screen. I don't see it.

prwxv3

considering the reaction over the last 5 or so years by core/enthusiast gamers to mobile/touch screen games, this shouldn't be a surprise. If this thing is real, what it makes perfectly clear is that Nintendo is going the unconventional route again, which has been boom or bust for them (boom with the wii, bust with the Wii U) but hasn't exactly garnered a ton of support or loyalty with hardcore gamers in either case.

I think a good question at first glance would be that who will this controller appeal too? Well first off since buttons are gone that might take a significant portion of Nintendo's core audience. Second why would casual consumers want a console with a controller that is worse then what they already own (based on Nintendo's past history like the wiiu). This could all be completely wrong of course.

HUELEN10

Alright guys, it's time we pledge our allegiance.

For better or worse, this feels very Nintendo to me. When I saw this picture, I felt the same way I felt about the Wii and to a lesser extent, the Wii U- It's unique, albeit a little silly, but also seems kinda advance for a company I tend to always expect little from in that regard.

So for these reasons:

#TeamReal

I am team plausible, but this is nowhere near the final form.

Who is Idriss2Dev, did he ever exist? Is he making games???

Why is his studio getting to make games on it while Moon Studios complains about it???

I need someone to highlight the "E.T." portion of the screen. I don't see it.
I'm on mobile but it's in the black part very top middle. Looks as if ET took the photo and is being reflected on that black portion of the screen which doesn't make sense since it's not a bezel.

Elixist

they could have traditional buttons on the back too or paddles on the handles if thats the route they go. the top right of the pic looks like doge to me

HUELEN10

Idriss2Dev Is Sumo's Digital's SOL.

Compare righting styles.

Compare excessive use of choppiness and use of sig in places that don't use it.

Prove me wrong/right.

How is this unique?

Touchscreens, haptic inputs

Its all been done. They are just throwing shit at the wall. At least Wii was the first success of its kind in motion control.... And cmon... Lets be honest... That was sold on the back of wii sports

Dude, there's a difference between that and this.
Nintendo2-noscale-noscale.jpg

The Wii U gamepad is clearly based on an engineering drawing and is a patent for the device as a whole, whilst this shit is something someone cobbled together in 2 seconds to demonstrate a single concept. They're not exactly compatible.

Yup, said this earlier in the thread. Of course it was ignored.

But yeah, to re-reiterate, the patent image from the OP is JUST for demonstrating applications of free-form displays in videogame controllers. It is NOT a patent for an entire controller design. Nintendo also have controller patents that look completely different than this for demonstrating other potential controller features, such as the scroll wheel triggers, and they look completely different.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm on mobile but it's in the black part very top middle. Looks as if ET took the photo and is being reflected on that black portion of the screen which doesn't make sense since it's not a bezel.

I see it now. Not convinced it is E.T. Could just be a blurry portion of the actual screen.

Otnopolit

A gimmick is just an innovative idea that never catches on. Anybody thinking Nintendo would keep this much secrecy regarding a console when they need to innovate to make up ground for all the third parties and sales they've lost hasn't been paying attention. Nintendo is not interested in making big deals about the status quo. Nintendo is not like Sony; they innovate first and they do it BIG, instead of adding something later (in Sony's current case, PSVR).

I personally really dislike invisible/digital buttons, so I'm not crazy about this. That said, we don't even know if it's real, so it's really not worth the energy in accepting that it is, in fact, the real deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom