• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Destructoid] Leaked photo of NX controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Everybody is whining about no buttons, but the real crime here would be those terrible analog sticks. The Vita ones are complete crap--these look way too similar for me.

Maxey

Would you be more disappointed if the NX was another crazy gimmick or if it was actually just a box and a normal controller?

It's bizarre how hard some people in this topic are trying to believe this. Every argument has some random counter that doesn't even make sense.

Like posting random Nintendo prototypes as if that validates... anything? Somehow?
And yet none of those prototypes would have ever been seen by anybody outside of Nintendo's R&D/upper NCL management anyway, let alone some random guy risking massive repercussions to post a single enormously shitty JPG on Reddit.

Or posting Wii U patents forgetting that they were filed after the reveal and were patents on the core design of the entire controller, NOT random pre-reveal patents on specific concept, and ignoring the fact that we've seen completely different designs for potential NX controllers to demonstrate other concepts.

Or posting people's reactions to the GamePad and Wii Remote reveals for... some reason?

It's all random unrelated "counters" that do nothing to prove this isn't spectacularly fake, and just show people are bizarrely willing to cling on to some bullshit rumor with non-existent sourcing because uh... because.

It's already like, conspiracy theory logic.

When the controller is revealed and it looks nothing like this:
"Well, obviously it was just a prototype, so of course it would look different."

When the prototype designs are revealed during a developer interview:
"Well, naturally they had several designs, they probably wouldn't spend time showing all of them."

It's as likely to be real as not real so your authoritative tone is the only thing that's bizarre.

None of us know the truth.

Gradon

I don't get it. It looks incredibly fake. Guess I'll be wrong if Nintendo confirms it but that image doesn't look real to me at all.

Nanashrew

Banned
So which one of "Miyamoto's hobbies" inspired this thing?

Did he take up discus shooting? American football? Or, perhaps, science fiction? UFO hunting?

So many possibilities...

Miyamoto isn't on this. Miyamoto is into other things and pretty much the major part of why they're going into theme parks.

Malus

Cabbage patch kids have small eyes right beside the nose. The eye in the shadow is much bigger and to the side of the two nose holes.

Here we are in an NX thread comparing Cabbage Patch Kids to E.T.

If Nintendo made traditional controllers we'd never get moments like these!

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Given the activity in this thread, it seems there's an NX bubble that is potentially ready to burst at any moment. GAF is ready for some NX news. Nintendo, please don't mess up your eventual reveal.

maxcriden

I want to see the back of the controller. I want to see a closer look at the screen. Give me that.

If this is in reference to the idea that a controller or handheld like this could have buttons on the back, that's something I don't understand how it would work in practice. When you rest the controller wouldn't buttons be pushed? And how in your mind would you intuitively know where the buttons are if there's more than one on each side of the back? Seems like a potentially confusing design choice.

Tobor

If that's real they should just shut down the hardware division and go third party now. Spare us watching them circle the drain.

What a nightmare.

I still don't get the E.T. reflection being there. I mean, I see it, but don't get why it is there.
That pic is there to say "it is a fake and I fooled you all." It could be there just for the joy of trolling or to discredit any site that believes this pic is real.

Guevara

Thinking about it more, Nintendo never came up with a good reason for the Wii U to have a screen.

So why double-down on another system with a controller that is basically all screen?

jax

Banned
If this is in reference to the idea that a controller or handheld like this could have buttons on the back, that's something I don't understand how it would work in practice. When you rest the controller wouldn't buttons be pushed? And how in your mind would you intuitively know where the buttons are if there's more than one on each side of the back? Seems like a potentially confusing design choice.
Ask Microsoft and Valve, who released the two best controllers of all time last year. Paddles are the future breh.

shiroikaze

Neo Member
Miyamoto isn't on this. Miyamoto is into other things and pretty the major part of why they're going into theme parks.

Yep, I know. I was just commenting on the fact back in the successful Wii era there were rumors/myths of his hobbies being trade secrets because they inspired him (gardening -> Pikmin, diet -> Wii Fit, music -> Wii Music, etc.)

As for the controller itself, I think it has a fairly good chance at being real, and I also think it means we won't see much in terms of traditional support for this thing. Perhaps there will be an auxiliary controller that adds more buttons or a more traditional control scheme. But trying to play Smash Bros. on that thing?

Nvzman

the Wii U failed because the gaming sites reviewers who by then were strongly in the dudebro camp, either Sony or Xbots, destroyed the one game that was supposed to (and did a great job actually) showcase the gamepad and its uses (ZombiU) It was a great game but dudebros weren't having it. So they regurgitated the moronic reviews and made up their mind on the spot. Despite decent launch numbers, Ubisoft then took away Rayman Legends exclusivity away from the Wii U and most 3rd parties followed suit and stopped making games. Nintendo did not help themselves by not having enough software ready (though it wouldn't have mattered) and by its 1 year anniversary the Wii U was financially a failure. Maybe if Super Mario 3D World or Splatoon had been a launch title that might have helped. Maybe it came out in 2010 like it should have (a super wii so to speak) it would have killed.

It had nothing to do with the gamepad. Dozens of games showcase it and most games allow for off tv use. Face it, the tweens playing Halo and BF aren't going to be interested in Nintendo. Nobody is leaving PS Plus or Xbox Live where they get to play their mates in Fifa and Madden for Zelda. The SNES generation and before buys Nintendo. That's it. That's why the Wii U failed. Only reason the fad Wii did so well is because of the party use that got Grandma playing with her grandkids. Couch co-op and party games are also done. Mostly it's online or solo play.

Hopefully the NX will be something that appeals to "hardcore" gamers because if it's just a box as powerful as PS4 it will fail. It needs a gimmick to get PS360 gamers to take the plunge. It also has to be cool and have hype beyong belief. Graphics and hype is the way to today's gamer's wallets.
Even if ZombiU was praised to hell and back the Wii U would still sell like shit.

The tablet controller didn't appeal to the public, and nobody wanted to drop $300-$400 on a dated-by-2012 console that had mostly crap launch games.

As much as I love the software for the Wii U, I think the actual hardware was a massive fuck-up on Nintendo's behalf.

jax

Banned
Thinking about it more, Nintendo never came up with a good reason for the Wii U to have a screen.

So why double-down on another system with a controller that is basically all screen?
Because you can put it in your pocket and take your NX games wherever you go?

Explain how, in any universe, this could be legit, without resorting to nonsensical non sequiturs.

Someone could have taken a photo of it and posted it online, exactly as presented.

This is possible.

Someone could have faked it and posted it online.

This is possible.

None of us know.

There's little indication either way apart from conjecture and pre-conceived notions.

You certainly don't have the right to go about throwing around absolutes and acting superior.

Aces&Eights

I would guess that this can be taken out on the road with you. The WiiU required you to be in range of the console. I don't know how that would work, though, unless it has built in 4G or something.

I'm inclined to believe it's real because of the work to get the little details in like the barely visible buttons.

My thoughts as well. That numerical battery charge indicator looks really clean on the image. I'm starting to think that this might....

Chuck

Still without luck
Everybody is whining about no buttons, but the real crime here would be those terrible analog sticks. The Vita ones are complete crap--these look way too similar for me.

no buttons is way fucking worse than shitty analog sticks

Hopefully the NX will be something that appeals to "hardcore" gamers because if it's just a box as powerful as PS4 it will fail. It needs a gimmick to get PS360 gamers to take the plunge. It also has to be cool and have hype beyong belief. Graphics and hype is the way to today's gamer's wallets.

This is a misconception, Nintendo doesn't need a gimmick, if I could play COD and Mario on the SAME console, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

El_Chino

the Wii U failed because the gaming sites reviewers who by then were strongly in the dudebro camp, either Sony or Xbots, destroyed the one game that was supposed to (and did a great job actually) showcase the gamepad and its uses (ZombiU) It was a great game but dudebros weren't having it. So they regurgitated the moronic reviews and made up their mind on the spot. Despite decent launch numbers, Ubisoft then took away Rayman Legends exclusivity away from the Wii U and most 3rd parties followed suit and stopped making games. Nintendo did not help themselves by not having enough software ready (though it wouldn't have mattered) and by its 1 year anniversary the Wii U was financially a failure. Maybe if Super Mario 3D World or Splatoon had been a launch title that might have helped. Maybe it came out in 2010 like it should have (a super wii so to speak) it would have killed.

It had nothing to do with the gamepad. Dozens of games showcase it and most games allow for off tv use. Face it, the tweens playing Halo and BF aren't going to be interested in Nintendo. Nobody is leaving PS Plus or Xbox Live where they get to play their mates in Fifa and Madden for Zelda. The SNES generation and before buys Nintendo. That's it. That's why the Wii U failed. Only reason the fad Wii did so well is because of the party use that got Grandma playing with her grandkids. Couch co-op and party games are also done. Mostly it's online or solo play.

Wut?

The only credence this gets imo is that it happened around GDC time, we all know Nintendo had closed door meetings, most likely with devs. If this is real I feel like someone got way too excited after getting it in house.

maxcriden

Because you can put it in your pocket and take your NX games wherever you go?

So you think this is the handheld then and not the console's controller? Because Nintendo long ago debunked a hybrid system. (Not that they couldn't change their mind, just curious as to your thoughts.)

jax

Banned
Yep, I know. I was just commenting on the fact back in the successful Wii era there were rumors/myths of his hobbies being trade secrets because they inspired him (gardening -> Pikmin, diet -> Wii Fit, music -> Wii Music, etc.)

As for the controller itself, I think it has a fairly good chance at being real, and I also think it means we won't see much in terms of traditional support for this thing. Perhaps there will be an auxiliary controller that adds more buttons or a more traditional control scheme. But trying to play Smash Bros. on that thing?
Imagine trying to play SSB with anything but a GCN controller
hqdefault.jpg

It has paddles on the back? But are those used for primary gameplay actions?
The patent describes scrolling shoulder buttons, I would imagine at least one paddle underneath on each side mapped to A and B respectively.

HoJu

what is the image on the screen supposed to be? i'm seeing dogs or blankets or something
and why does the screen go to the ends of the controller? you're hands will cover that, what's the point

Nanashrew

Banned

They wouldn't instantly click in by being set down like any other button. Steam controller IIRC you have to click them in.

Though with this design, I also have trouble seeing back panels, it would need to have grips to make the panels more accessible, at least imo. How do you push in a back panel when there's no grip or hold on the controller to apply the pressure?

I want to see more of the controller (even when turned off and nothing on the screen) because I don't believe this is really real at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom