• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Detective GAF uncovers evidence of imminent Nintendo Direct as soon as next week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I think it's the 16th, I'm not aware exactly when review copies are going out but I imagine we'll get them in around 2 weeks. There will probably be a lot of coverage soon.

Yeah, especially since we don't know the first thing about the single player mode. I'm betting this Direct (if it exists) will be heavily ARMS focused.

This is my gut feeling / fear as well along with the Direct being about the New 2D XL and Pokemon Stars as a launch title for it. Sure, they might mention the BOTW DLC stuff as well but the 2DS and upcoming 3DS games might get the spotlight this time.

I'd be happy to be wrong though.

Ugh I hope not 😑

What's beautiful is a lot of games have been releasing months after their announcement recently. Only a handful are an exception to that like Mario Odyssey.

Switch still hasn't had an E3, this years show will be pretty fantastic.

Yeah it's crazy. It feels so good to see Nintendo having so many games and there hasn't been an E3 for Switch yet.

Yeah, especially since we don't know the first thing about the single player mode. I'm betting this Direct (if it exists) will be heavily ARMS focused.

Yeah when will they tell us everything else about ARMS? It releases at the end of E3 week. They could reveal single player more at the Digital Event? Would people be mad if ARMS takes up time at E3?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Yeah when will they tell us everything else about ARMS? It releases at the end of E3 week. They could reveal single player more at the Digital Event? Would people be mad if ARMS takes up time at E3?

If they do a strong ARMS focus at E3 that will be very disappointing.

I hope they won't be mad because Nintendo would be crazy not to take time to hype up their new IP launching later that week.

EDIT Not that they should spend a ton of time on it, but it would be sensible to expect some time and probably extensive treehouse coverage.

Hm... file me under skeptical! I'm not willing to say that this is fake, but I won't get my hopes up until we have an announcement. If there is a Direct, it'll be really interesting to see what it means for their E3 presentation. I honestly expected the BoTW DLC to be shown at E3, but instead they just randomly dropped the info last night.

If I had to guess, I'd say that Pokemon Stars is the logical choice if it really will release this year. Though I'd also love some news on Virtual Consoles and/or streaming apps.

This is my gut feeling / fear as well along with the Direct being about the New 2D XL and Pokemon Stars as a launch title for it.

Even disregarding the very credible leaks about Stars being Switch only, the footage of devs working on HD pokemon models and the Game Freak jobs posting looking for people until Spring 2018, this is incredibly unlikely. There has been no 'second' Pokemon game released within seven months of the original games, plus both Pikmin and Miitopia are 'launch titles' for the 2DS XL, what with them being released on the same day and all.

Dystify

pokéfan;235426162 said:
I'm guessing either the Pokemon company will have their direct in May, or Pokemon Stars will be revealed at E3. Hype either way!

I would be surprised to see a mainline Pokémon getting announced at E3. It would certainly be something new, as it never happened before in the history of the series. Spin-offs are another story.

I made this for twitter earlier to show some announcement dates.
C-1RAofXYAAQ-h6.jpg

I would be surprised to see a mainline Pokémon getting announced at E3. It would certainly be something new, as it never happened before in the history of the series. Spin-offs are another story.

I'm pretty confident Pokemon Stars is being announced next week. I'm not confident that it won't be a 3DS game.

Dystify

I'm pretty confident Pokemon Stars is being announced next week. I'm not confident that it won't be a 3DS game.

The announcement of the 2DS really shook things up for me. Because of the rumor most people kind of assumed Stars would be exclusive to Switch, but I'm not so sure anymore about that. It does make sense to see it on 3DS/2DS though considering the install base of it.

The announcement of the 2DS really shook things up for me. Because of the rumor most people kind of assumed Stars would be exclusive to Switch, but I'm not so sure anymore about that. It does make sense to see it on 3DS/2DS though considering the install base of it.

Plus Sun and Moon had a bunch of untouched content including low poly models for every Pokemon, that doesn't sound like Switch stuff to me. It would be nice if it was cross platform but I'm having my doubts.

Interfectum

Prediction: New Pokemon announced for 3DS, no Switch port, GAF/Internet goes wild, Switch doomed and Nintendo pillar threads show up

"Who is selling their Switch and picking up a 2DS this summer?"

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Prediction: New Pokemon announced for 3DS, no Switch port, GAF/Internet goes wild, Switch doomed and Nintendo pillar threads show up

Eurogamer would have had to have been deliberately mislead in a really bad way for their not to be a Switch version.

udivision

Guys <new nintendo thing> just released.
I'm sure the next pokemon game will be for it.
Oh whoa, it's not!?!?! It's for old nintendo thing?
Shot themselves in the foot. <new nintendo thing> needs <new pokemon game>
Finally, a year or so later, <new nintendo thing> gets it's own <new pokemon game>
The end.

Yeah... I'm really convinced that Stars will be a Switch/"new"3DS/2DS exclusive. I can't see Game Freak ignoring Switch, but I'm not sure if they'd leave the 3DS install base behind so quickly either.

Guys <new nintendo thing> just released.
I'm sure the next pokemon game will be for it.
Oh whoa, it's not!?!?! It's for old nintendo thing?
Shot themselves in the foot. <new nintendo thing> needs <new pokemon game>
Finally, a year or so later, <new nintendo thing> gets it's own <new pokemon game>
The end.

The big difference in this scenario is that the "new" Nintendo thing was always capable of playing the <new pokemon game> via backwards compatibility. Though it wasn't ideal, people upgrading to the newest hardware could still easily purchase and play the game. In this case, a dedicated Switch version is the only way to achieve that.

Aleh

Yeah... I'm really convinced that Stars will be a Switch/"new"3DS/2DS exclusive. I can't see Game Freak ignoring Switch, but I'm not sure if they'd leave the 3DS install base behind so quickly either.

The big difference in this scenario is that the "new" Nintendo thing was always capable of playing the <new pokemon game> via backwards compatibility. Though it wasn't ideal, people upgrading to the newest hardware could still easily purchase and play the game. In this case, a dedicated Switch version is the only way to achieve that.
But why ignore normal 3DS and 2DS if install base is the only reason?

If they do a strong ARMS focus at E3 that will be very disappointing.

I think ARMS will get like a 4 minute window. Right now they're revealing new characters as we get to E3. I think in the digital event it'll get like 4-5 minutes to talk about the other modes especially single player. Treehouse will of course go much more in-depth with the new characters and other modes.

I'm assuming Nintendo does a Digital Event and it's about 50 minutes long.

I hope they won't be mad because Nintendo would be crazy not to take time to hype up their new IP launching later that week.

EDIT Not that they should spend a ton of time on it, but it would be sensible to expect some time and probably extensive treehouse coverage.

I saw someone say maybe this direct, if it happens next week, may focus on ARMS and give the details, which would mean it would get a smaller focus at the E3 presentation- maybe like a 2 minute presentation at E3 if a direct happens next week for it.

But why ignore normal 3DS and 2DS if install base is the only reason?

It could very well be compatible with those systems too, I'm just skeptical based on the leaked data people found about in-game Pokemon models/follow animations. I feel like they would have included that in Sun/Moon if the hardware could handle it.

The 3DS can't handle those animations. Sun and Moon was already pushing it way too much.

At the minimum this Pokemon Stars would be New 3DS/2DS and Switch or it's just Switch. I'll stick with Eurogamer for Switch. If Eurogamer gets it wrong, then I'll question their rumors moving forward.

I want to believe Kimishima wants it on the Switch only and he can pull the strings for it. I really do like how he talks and when he answers questions.

what happened to all the NX leakers?

we haven't gotten a credible leak for some time now.

now even checking twitter all I see is blogs linking back to this topic as a 'Rumor'

the state of Switch info is getting sad

Kamina

Golden Boy
Yes Nintendo, this is how you keep my wallet open for your products. Give me good stuff refularly and i will pay.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

now even checking twitter all I see is blogs linking back to this topic as a 'Rumor'

Only leak right now appears to be the Mariox Rabbids thing.

I think a bunch of them stepped out of the game for the sake of their own sanity. Emily Rogers stated that she's completely done with rumors. LKD got a ton of heat for getting information wrong (and in turn trusting her sources too much) and has seemingly stepped away. Eurogamer honestly gave us most of the "valid" leaks, and some of them are still waiting to be announced. It just seems doubtful that they know anything outside of what they already gave us.

Leaks still have time to be proven.

I'm sure Nintendo doesn't want things to be leaked, it's hardly a bad thing that they've slowed down.

jonno394

Plus Sun and Moon had a bunch of untouched content including low poly models for every Pokemon, that doesn't sound like Switch stuff to me. It would be nice if it was cross platform but I'm having my doubts.

I thought the belief was that the low poly models are the models that would be used for the Pokémon following you around? Or am i getting two things confused? I definitely remember people talking about Pokémon following you around.

I thought the belief was that the low poly models are the models that would be used for the Pokémon following you around? Or am i getting two things confused? I definitely remember people talking about Pokémon following you around.

That's correct, some of the low poly models are already used in the overworld (but there's data, models and animations for every single Pokemon). Maybe I'm being too optimistic but I think the Switch could handle the battle models rather than low poly substitutes, it screams 3DS to me.

At the minimum this Pokemon Stars would be New 3DS/2DS and Switch or it's just Switch. I'll stick with Eurogamer for Switch. If Eurogamer gets it wrong, then I'll question their rumors moving forward.

This is kinda what I'm hoping for. I'd prefer all Switch, but I think this type of dual release makes sense. I mean, it's what they are doing for Fire Emblem Warriors.

Neoxon

It's probably either...
  • A Pokémon Direct to reveal Pokémon Stars
  • A dedicated ARMS Direct to detail the modes & remaining launch characters
  • A dedicated 3DS Direct to get stuff like the Mario & Luigi remake out of the way
I'm leaning towards Pokémon right now.

I want to say to those people who think it could be a Direct that encompassed Virtual Console I think it may not be only because I think they could announce Virtual Console (or whatever they decide to call it) at E3 with Mother 3 localized and released on it the same day.

Kyzer

Banned
Honestly, almost any time theres a speculated imminent Pokemon announcement without a pretty blunt corocoro hint or something (sometimes even then), I feel like it ends up being nothing, so Im not gonna expect anything. I know ORAS was out of nowhere too, and the timing is ripe for an announcement, but I feel like its too good to be true. HD Pokemon...

I want to say to those people who think it could be a Direct that encompassed Virtual Console I think it may not be only because I think they could announce Virtual Console (or whatever they decide to call it) at E3 with Mother 3 localized and released on it the same day.

This is what I believe too.

It's probably either...
  • A dedicated 3DS Direct to get stuff like the Mario & Luigi remake out of the way

If ARMS review copies are arriving within the next few weeks you'd think Nintendo would want to detail the single player mode before they arrive, right? Since currently it's a complete unknown. They could do both pokemon and ARMS in one direct.

Online features were coming on 'summer' or 'fall'? I dont remember.

"Online" has been active since launch, but some of the additional features like voice chat are coming in summer via a trial of the mobile app. The "full" online service launches in fall.

sinonobu

Banned
That would make sense. They'd want to show it off during E3 when Sony announces the Vita 2.

I'm just saying that because there are some people that Nintendo might want to make a bigger deal about mainline Pokemon game coming to consoles for the first time.

It's probably either...

I think it might be mix bag of ARMS direct, 3ds contents, and E3 teaser.

maxcriden

If ARMS review copies are arriving within the next few weeks you'd think Nintendo would want to detail the single player mode before they arrive, right? Since currently it's a complete unknown. They could do both pokemon and ARMS in one direct.

Is it confirmed there is a significant SP mode beyond smaller modes like the one shown at the last Direct?

True Fire

ORAS were announced in early May, so the timeline for a Stars announcement works out.

E3 is way too late for the CoroCoro hype cycle.

jonno394

It's probably either...

My money is on ARMS getting weekly videos with character and mode revels (first being Helix) rather than a dedicated Direct.

If we get a Direct in the next week or so, i'm banking on Pokemon. 3DS will have its own section at E3, just like the last Direct did.

Koppai

I honestly don't believe that if there is a 3rd game, that it would be on the Switch. Main games are always on the handhelds...even though Switch is a console that you can use as a handheld. I have had my doubts about that rumor of Pokémon Star being for Switch.

My money is on ARMS getting weekly videos with character and mode revels (first being Helix) rather than a dedicated Direct.

If we get a Direct in the next week or so, i'm banking on Pokemon. 3DS will have its own section at E3, just like the last Direct did.

Yeah 3DS isn't going anywhere, it'll very likely have a spotlight at E3. They might reveal 3DS games during Treehouse Live, they might have a seperate 3DS Direct, they might give it a segment during the main event. Hard to tell but 3DS games will be at E3 for sure.

jonno394

I honestly don't believe that if there is a 3rd game, that it would be on the Switch. Main games are always on the handhelds...even though Switch is a console that you can use as a handheld. I have had my doubts about that rumor of Pokémon Star being for Switch.

So, where will the next mainline game go then, if Switch isn't a hand held?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom