• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil's Third disappears from "Future Releases" section on North American Wii U eShop

Ridley327

Between THQ and Nintendo, they also made a deal with South Korean developer Doobic Games to work on PC and Tablet versions of the game for that market. As far as I can tell, it looks like Doobic also went out of business shortly after that.

Itagaki has had such rotten luck over the course of development. No wonder he's running right into the Chinese mobile market once this ships.

There is something seriously wrong with NoA if they can't even bother with an eShop-only release. The game has been translated already.

If they've handed it over to a smaller publisher, E3 would have been the time to announce that.

_DiGiTaL_

sbIl5V1.gif

KingBroly

Banned
Yeah, I don't understand why it's not eShop only at least. I can't imagine it costing much to market it that way. Especially since Fatal Frame 5 is eShop only as well.

Or maybe they made an exclusive deal with Gamestop again...

Jarmel

Banned
Game looked like garbage so I don't blame Nintendo for not wanting to release it.

That said, the Wii U's line up for the upcoming months is beyond anemic at this point.

This looks like the kind of bad game I would have been made fun of for buying and enjoying last generation. I hope it comes out anyway. The world needs all kinds of games, even bad ones.

openrob

It was probably snapped up way before Nintendo knew how things would turn out by mid-to-late 2015. And likely with NCL's money, rather than a move from NoA or NoE more specifically.

Why NoA would release it like this goes back to these two paragraphs here:

CIN7fj-WoAA7zdi.png

Because spending 5 mins of the game in a direct, uploading some trailers, promoting it on eShop/newsletters and generally acknowldeging it's exsistance costs tousands of dollars?

I get that publishing costs money, but marketing, even minimally shouldn't be the hurdle. Not in this day and age. obviously I am not sayiing marketing is useless. But it still shouldn't prevent games from being released.

prag16

Banned
NoA, assholes.

Three potential summer games. Instead we'll get two much later and one possibly not at all. Amazing.

The Giant

Banned
Itagaki has had such rotten luck over the course of development. No wonder he's running right into the Chinese mobile market once this ships.

Itagaki later said that article was misleading. Since the article was chinese then poorly translated into japanese then translated into english.

prag16

Banned
What's the third? I assume you're referencing Yoshi and DT, but what's number three.
Fatal Frame. As somebody said earlier in the topic, if they had planned ahead, they could have had the localization in time to fill the drought a little.

The other possibility here is that they see the summer as a time when nothing sells, and they see that their 2016 release schedule is a ghost town, so they're holding it back until the winter since they've already got plenty of stuff for the fall.

rjc571

Banned
I think I could forgive the uneven visuals if they do manage to hit the 60 fps target, which is no small feat on that level of hardware for UE3.

Looks like interpolated 30 fps footage to me, I'd love to be proven wrong though.

EDIT: Played it back in super slow-mo... some parts seem to be "real" 60 fps, but other parts look like they're blending frames together to go from 30 -> 60. Odd.

Eusis

NintendoNews is reporting that Devil's Third is still coming to North America.
Despite my last post I didn't think NoA REALLY abandoned it altogether for NA. Likely it's a retailer deal (which at worst may've also cut out eShop for some fucking stupid reason though hopefully it'd at least be delayed), was given to another publisher, or very plausibly Nintendo being Nintendo and being completely opaque about something that's coming along normally anyway.

Vandole

Wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo goes Xenoblade with this and uses it to fill up the super giant gaps it will have in 2016 once they're focusing solely on launching the NX.

evanmisha

Wouldn't surprise me if Nintendo goes Xenoblade with this and uses it to fill up the super giant gaps it will have in 2016 once they're focusing solely on launching the NX.

They very likely are 'going Xenoblade wih this'. They showed it off at E3, the reception was tepid at best, little else until next E3 when it mysteriously disappears. Next stop is Nintendo of France saying they'd have loved to show off Devil's Third at E3 but NoA refused since they passed on it. We've already got people clamoring at the release schedule and the TBA date that'll sit there for another year before it's unceremoniously removed.

Something something retailer exclusive something something "We meant to do this!"

Glass Joe

Did anyone bother looking? It is F'in Go Nintendo after all.

I just went and it IS on the future releases. First entry, in fact. http://www.nintendo.com/games/game-guide/#filter/wii+u|-|-|-|-|descend|releaseDate|-|-|-|-|-|-

Edit: Oh, the future releases in the eShop. Which are just various promo videos that come and go. Whatever. I admit there seems to be something going on with Devil's Third, but this is not what I'd even consider evidence. It's not like it ever had a profile page there or anything.

I would be stunned if they gave a straight answer. Dan Adelman, Mathieu Minel... Nintendo keeps bad news for the shareholders meetings. It's not the type of question they'd entertain.
Either way, it's worth a try. A 'no comment' or evasive response would speak volumes.

Neff

Nintendo seemed to want to capitalize on the character-action genre from the beginning of the Wii U's launch. I'm not sure why it took so long for them realize that God of War and DMC have 90% of that pie to themselves, but here we are.

I'd argue that Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta handily own that pie, but I'd be in the distinct minority, to Nintendo's chagrin, no doubt.

It's so strange. NoA sometimes really surprises us by doing legitimately cool, fan-focused things like announcing Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water for a North American release when no one was expecting it and had probably given up on it.

Then they solidify their status as the most wildly inconsistent branch of Nintendo by (apparently) nixing Devil's Third. I don't know. It's always one step forward, two steps back with them.

Hopefully our concern here is premature and another publisher is bringing Devil's Third to the US or something. I don't know. I don't particularly care about the game myself and I definitely admit that it will probably bomb if it does get released here, but I do care about what the game represents (a really strong, high-profile third-party title on a console sorely lacking them... and lacking frequent releases in general) and I can't fathom why NoA would take steps to thin out the Wii U's already-light release schedule even more.

It can't be an image/censorship thing... NoA's already released plenty of M-rated titles on the Wii U. It must just come down to sales forecasts.

This + NoA delaying Yoshi's Woolly World to October 16th when the game is clearly ready and the Wii U literally has no other high-profile retail titles releasing from now until September 11th (Super Mario Maker) really makes me wonder what they're doing over there sometimes. Having worked with Capcom US and Bandai Namco Japan in the past, I know these things are rarely as cut-and-dried as they seem - I'm sure plenty of people at NoA are fans too and are doing their best to give us what they know we want, and are just getting caught up in all sorts of corporate red tape - but still... man. This really does seem to be an issue particularly with NoA as of late.

Because spending 5 mins of the game in a direct, uploading some trailers, promoting it on eShop/newsletters and generally acknowldeging it's exsistance costs tousands of dollars?

I get that publishing costs money, but marketing, even minimally shouldn't be the hurdle. Not in this day and age. obviously I am not sayiing marketing is useless. But it still shouldn't prevent games from being released.

Not to derail, but I agree with your sentiment about the marketing and have been stating the same with regards to the Vita and its games.

Really, in this day and age, releasing this digitally would be such a big deal? You dont need to press discs, package, ship, etc, just push an executable to a server (yes I know I am simplifying but the costing has to be less to go digital).

jmizzal

I think your reading to much into that, the future release list was changed to all games from from E3 with videos shown for E3 and Devils third wasnt at E3

KingBroly

Banned
It's so strange. NoA sometimes really surprises us by doing legitimately cool, fan-focused things like announcing Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water for a North American release when no one was expecting it and had probably given up on it.

Then they solidify their status as the most wildly inconsistent branch of Nintendo by (apparently) nixing Devil's Third. I don't know. It's always one step forward, two steps back with them.

Hopefully our concern here is premature and another publisher is bringing Devil's Third to the US or something. I don't know. I don't particularly care about the game myself and I definitely admit that it will probably bomb if it does get released here, but I do care about what the game represents (a really strong, high-profile third-party title on a console sorely lacking them... and lacking frequent releases in general) and I can't fathom why NoA would take steps to thin out the Wii U's already-light release schedule even more.

It can't be an image/censorship thing... NoA's already released plenty of M-rated titles on the Wii U. It must just come down to sales forecasts.

This + NoA delaying Yoshi's Woolly World to October 16th when the game is clearly ready and the Wii U literally has no other high-profile retail titles releasing from now until September 11th (Super Mario Maker) really makes me wonder what they're doing over there sometimes. Having worked with Capcom US and Bandai Namco Japan in the past, I know these things are rarely as cut-and-dried as they seem - I'm sure plenty of people at NoA are fans too and are doing their best to give us what they know we want, and are just getting caught up in all sorts of corporate red tape - but still... man. This really does seem to be an issue particularly with NoA as of late.

Removing it from the eShop still doesn't make any sense. I doubt it'd cost much of anything to market Devil's Third as an eShop only game like Fatal Frame. Maybe it's a Gamestop exclusive or something.

As for Woolly World, I think it has absolutely everything to do with the amiibo for it.

Reebot

I'd argue that Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta handily own that pie, but I'd be in the distinct minority, to Nintendo's chagrin, no doubt.

That pie is sales. And in this unjust world Bayonetta will never own the biggest piece.

Devil's Third might not see an American release. Nintendo is so comically inept I wouldn't be surprised

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
NintendoNews is reporting that Devil's Third is still coming to North America.

Customer service does not make announcements. If the state of a game is in limbo, customer service is not going to tell you the game is cancelled. If a game is not announced, customer service is not going to announce it. Only bottom of the barrel fan blogs email customer service and post the dumb robot form letters they receive in response.

That they got that reply simply means that since no formal announcement has been made that Nintendo of America is no longer publishing the game, customer service is not able to provide any updated information.

Walpurgis

Banned

This is so sad and such a waste of talent. The game's art style looks awful but the mechanics look really solid and it looks like a very unique game. I hope it makes money because Itagaki going mobile would be a tragedy. Is there any reason why he can't join Platinum or something? He seems like he would fit in well but I could see him and Kamiya either being BFF or hating each other's guts. :p

Ridley327

This is so sad and such a waste of talent. The game's art style looks awful but the mechanics look really solid and it looks like a very unique game. I hope it makes money because Itagaki going mobile would be a tragedy. Is there any reason why he can't join Platinum or something? He seems like he would fit in well but I could see him and Kamiya either being BFF or hating each other's guts. :p

I don't think you need to imagine it.

Pikma

Banned
Customer service does not make announcements. If the state of a game is in limbo, customer service is not going to tell you the game is cancelled. If a game is not announced, customer service is not going to announce it. Only bottom of the barrel fan blogs email customer service and post the dumb robot form letters they receive in response.

That they got that reply simply means that since no formal announcement has been made that Nintendo of America is no longer publishing the game, customer service is not able to provide any updated information.
Even putting that aside, what the hell would a CS rep know about it being cancelled or not.

People keep asking "why does NoA have NOTHING for the summer when x, y, and z are ready and delayed for no reason?" and I honestly think the answer is Splatoon. I think Nintendo of America views it as an ever green title like Mario Kart 8 and with it's constant free updates though the summer into August this actually lines up well with their current release schedule. September is Mario Maker, October is Wooly World, November will probably be Star Fox, and December will be Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Obviously I think this is a stupid idea and is banking far too much on Splatoon holding people's interest all summer long, but that seems to be the game plan.

Top Bottom