• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: PS4 COD frame judder caused by frame rate HIGHER than 60fps

Donos

That's really strange. Hope there is more insight to this.
Somebody should shop the PS+ "how can i hold all these games" guy with "how can i hold all these frames"

are the pc shots in the comparison tool rendered at 1080p as well? they look significantly sharper than the ps4 1080p shots. i'm assuming the difference is AA implementation. i hope that developers eventually use a better solution than FXAA on ps4. i wonder if it can handle the kind of visuals we're seeing in games like bf4 and killzone at 1080p and 60fps with some type of MSAA. perhaps once developers get more familiar with the system?

also, i hope IW patches this and caps the frame rate at 60fps. i still haven't opened my copy of ghosts and would prefer to wait until this all gets sorted. hopefully they comment on this soon.

Well damn. That is some twist. So IW had to reduce the Xbone version to 720p just to reach 60fps, and the PS4 version runs at native 1080p and still has extra room to run above 60fps? I said GOT DAYM SON! Someone call Ja. This gen is gonna be murda!

Amazing... just amazing...

It's a comedy of errors over there at IW. Ships with the wrong resolution. Judder because the game is trying to render faster than 60fps. What is next!

Skeff

are the pc shots in the comparison tool rendered at 1080p as well? they look significantly sharper than the ps4 1080p shots. i'm assuming the difference is AA implementation. i hope that developers eventually use a better solution than FXAA on ps4. i wonder if it can handle the kind of visuals we're seeing in games like bf4 and killzone at 1080p and 60fps with some type of MSAA. perhaps once developers get more familiar with the system?

also, i hope IW patches this and caps the frame rate at 60fps. i still haven't opened my copy of ghosts and would prefer to wait until this all gets sorted. hopefully they comment on this soon.

The performance that comes from both the XB1 and PS4 will increase throughout the generation but it's up to developers where they use that extra power, To be honest, I think we'll be stuck with substandard AA as they will use it elsewhere IMO.

So frame rises over 60fps are bad now?

Yes, this is what introduced judder and screen tearing.

For a 60hz display, you still want to maintain over 60 fps so you ALWAYS stay at 60 fps even when there's shit going on. That's why you blow big bucks on stupidly expensive hardware if you want the absolute best experience.

MaLDo

Judder because of framerate rising.... I can live with this.

Exactly

In pc games you can avoid occasional judder using DXTory or other frame limiter. That "too high framerate" is exactly how judder works. If you have a hitch in framerate, the frame that miss the screen refresh is finally sended to screen too near the next frame so in that instant the framerate is too high. It doesn't mean too much performance horsepower, is a different problem. The frame is not sended in the right moment, so distance between frames is not equal. The longer part is the "hitch" or judder moment, the shorter part is the "too high framerate" moment.

if you're making a pizza every half hour and you delay only one of the pizzas, next pizza will appear to have done too fast.

Valkyria

Banned
a8ufeewdwd.gif

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
The funniest part about this is that the framerate was even higher at 720p, and the 1080p patched "helped" to slow things down a bit, but wasn't enough.

I am livin' in bizzaro land here.

The best thing about this news is people like Arthur Gies suggesting developers trying to hit 1080p on PS4 were basically just overreaching, and he didn't understand why. Yes, I heard him say this on a podcast a couple weeks ago.

This news about the higher than 60fps makes sense, seeing as Ghosts doesn't appear like it should be pushing this hardware that hard.

nib95

Banned
To clarify...

First Polygon can't tell that two versions of a game are both running at the same resolution (720p). And to add insult to injury, dock points from one version of a game for having frame rate drops when there basically aren't any, and instead because of minor stutters when it reaches above 60fps? Pretty damn amusing.

The best thing about this news is people like Arthur Gies suggesting developers trying to hit 1080p on PS4 were basically just overreaching, and he didn't understand why. Yes, I heard him say this on a podcast a couple weeks ago.

Add it to the long list of false BS Agies has spewed. Usually anti-Sony or pro Microsoft to boot. That's not tin foil battery, that's just fact.

prwxv3

To clarify...

First Polygon can't tell that two versions of a game are both running at the same resolution (720p). And to add insult to injury, dock points from one version of a game for having frame rate drops when there basically aren't any, and instead because of minor stutters when it reaches above 60fps? Pretty damn amusing.

I thought they were given a version that was not 1080p by IW/activision

Doc Evils

To clarify...

At this point it's hard not to call them clowns.

Curufinwe

I don't know how you can stomach listening to Rebel FM anymore but I'm glad you do so we can get gold nuggets like that reported on GAF.

teiresias

The world of reality-based observation continues to make a great number of video game "journalism" news outlets look like agenda-driven clowns. This is no surprise ever since the initial reaction to the DRM-fiasco reveal and their behavior prior to E3, but stuff like this just makes it all the more obvious.

nib95

Banned
I thought they were given a version that was not 1080p by IW/activision

They were. Both of the versions they played were 720p, and they couldn't distinguish this. They actually thought one was 1080p and one was 720p, but that the differences were negligible.

Where as on GAF, many (myself included) immediately called out the PS4 version for not looking or being 1080p at all. It's weird that fellow posters are consistently more acute, accurate and well informed than some so called journalists lol.

The framerate is much better then I expected from the reviews?

What the heck is wrong with these reviewers when a resolution difference between 720 and 1080 is nothing noticeable but dropping from 60fps to 55 or maybe 50 for a second or two when things get crazy and explody equals some kind of deal breaker?

I don't know how you can stomach listening to Rebel FM anymore but I'm glad you do so we can get gold nuggets like that reported on GAF.

He actually said that on a new daytime Polygon podcast that is streamed live on their site. It's called "Friends List", and they discuss a random topic each week. He said that during a discussion about the next gen console two weeks ago, while noting the PS4 version had problems,etc.

WTF?

Its 60 the majority of the time, heck at 720p 60 more than 1080p. From the reviews I thought this was 40-50 most of the time.

Yeah, the reviews make it seem that the game goes down by at least 10fps. Reviewers just don't know what they are talking about at all.

eot

Banned

He's not even the most annoying guy on the show, that award goes to the guy from IGN who's like a backup rapper for gies, adding "omg" and "so good" to everything he says.

Top Bottom