• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Assassin's Creed Shadows Gameplay Trailer Breakdown: RT, 30FPS, Virtualised Geometry + More

proandrad

Sure but, seems like that is the direction they are going with the game as clearly it wasn't some anime looking game so...

I have no clue what you are talking about and please show examples of what you are talking about instead wild claims or something.

ghost-of-tsushima-1-5.jpg

ghost-of-tsushima-image.jpg

ghost-of-tsushima-8k-mod.jpg

^

So....the textures, tessellation, lighting, shadows, volumetric fog, fabric of the clothes and detail in the characters faces clearly show a desire to have a realistic direction as why create it this way if it was not made to be a photo realistic looking game? Clearly, this was their aim, don't see enough evidence to support they didn't have a aim of this as why even motion capture someone's face like this if that wasn't the goal?

maxresdefault.jpg

Where? Can you provide some examples of this?

? That makes zero sense though, being realistic is still a art direction so....what are you talking about?

Additionally, how can being real be a priority over any other effect, when they already have several effects that show an element of stylization against realism in several areas.

As in, when you look at your map, you don't fucking see some paper in the characters hand in real time to um "prioritize hyper detailed fidelity", you see a stylized map

show

If they wanted to um "priortize" this idea, they would not have a map like this using such direction, they'd opt for the character to physically have a map to show the realism and to keep the player in that world

Here is an example to prove this (Something you guys seem to be allergic to lol)

far-cry-2-map.png

When the characters assassinate people, it doesn't just show all the killing in real time to keep the same direction of realism, but instead shows a stylized brush stroke type scene

Assassins-Creed-Shadows-Gameplay_3.jpg

Assassins-Creed-Shadows-Gameplay_6.jpg

Yet, in Ghost when you do some of the boss battles, you get this effect that ironically is less stylized and exaggerated then AC Shadows but...ok.
524GhostofTsushima20200.jpg

So ....look man, no disrespect, but show your work. Stop making claims and show your actual proof of what you are talking about because of the small amount we've seen of AC Shadows, its clear both games share directions, although Ghost Is not going for HYPER style, it is going for realism regardless based on the choices made regarding lighting, textures, shadows and how they did the faces (based on real people) So yes, AC Shadows looks more real, but its also only on PS5, Ghost Of Tsushima was made on PS4... They both aim for realism as clearly Ghost is not a fucking Zelda or Anime looking game and where that gets broken up with effects and scenes with brush stroke animations or something exist in both titles.

So right now, I do not see any evidence to suggest one of theses games put more priority in this area over the other or something when both actually do the same things in different areas. As in, seeking realism in real time gameplay, mixed in stylized with kills, assassinations in other areas, stylized in maps.

I do not currently see that 1 is doing something over the other in this regard, merely that one is next gen only. So right now, their directions are very similar, but expected considering the source.
tldr

IDWhite

AC team has improved a lot on the Anvil Engine with this game.

They added RTGI which not only improves the ligting behavior, it also makes much easier to implement a lot more dynamic systems like seasons, weather change,
and realtime destruction.

We have seen a huge improvement on asset quality and density.
-Dense forests with a huge amount of 3D vegetation that can even be broken.
-Cities populated with a lot more objects with higher detail than before, and also breakable.
-Rigid independent models for armor.
-sheets with applied physics.
-Improved LOD and draw distances.
-Upgraded animation system.
And the list goes on.

You can not say that there is no notable improvement in many aspects. People definitely don't know what they are seeing.

Honestly Im not impressed by the graphics here, I was expecting them to do better here with their first current gen offering. While they seemed to have marked off the checklist graphics features none of them seem to be implemented at a proficient level. They claim virtualized geometry yet the geometric density seems to be nowhere close to nanite and the assets/textures are very inconsistent and the only benefit seems to be lowered popin.

Its a similar situation with the lighting, global illumination is apparently implemented but with little bounce and is flat in other areas with rather poor shadowing. The leap is rather disappointing compared to the jump to unity.
I disagree the level of density in world looks way better than any unreal engine 5 games

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
It’s not an argument, it’s an opinion, about art which is subjective. So I’ll pass going full autistic on the subject.

Art is subjective, but the concepts we are talking about can be proven, discussed and examples provided to have a discussion. Keep in mind, I understand everyone is not an illustrator or art director as I simply want to engage in the topic.

Even when I was a student (well you never really stop being one lol) I was always asked by professors to prove my point. I couldn't just say "this isn't Dadaist design, its actually deco" I must prove with examples my point.

Art is subjective, you are correct regarding feeling, emotion, what you like or don't like etc

Art Design and Direction is objective, as in you can provide example, isolate items and prove why something is this or that in regards to direction.

regardless, a claim that something is prioritizing something over something else, at the very least you can prove why you feel that way with any example to show how thats happening or what lead you to that comment. I could never get away with "i just feel this way" or "its subjective" as an answer That is only doable if you are just being asked if you like it or not

However, you can't make a claim that the art direction of a game prioritizes this or that, without any evidence of this.

If this is not something you are knowledgeable enough about to fully discuss, that is ok too. No worries.

Last edited:

FewRope

Best part of the video:

Richard Ledbeater: Yes John, but if there is one fing that is twuly wemarkable, it’s the twansformative use of sound. As soon as gameplay switches to Yasuke the samuwai, we get the twue full fat 4K expewience with masterful hip hop beats. Fwankly, I’ve never seen such effective use of sound since perhaps Legacy Of Kain: Soul Weaver.
I'm in tears

Best part of the video:

Richard Ledbeater: Yes John, but if there is one fing that is twuly wemarkable, it’s the twansformative use of sound. As soon as gameplay switches to Yasuke the samuwai, we get the twue full fat 4K expewience with masterful hip hop beats. Fwankly, I’ve never seen such effective use of sound since perhaps Legacy Of Kain: Soul Weaver.
Don't forget about the "besbwoke solutiwon that wubisoft has implemeneted to take advantage of the terafllwop differentiiwal on the nwext gen hardware."

Top Bottom