• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry Face-Off: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (PC/PS4/XB1)

Seanspeed

Banned
Yes, the differences seem to be really pronounced when it comes to draw distance. Lack of far-away shadows is a bummer, but I still think both versions look great.

I don't know, maybe I had my expectations set to 'realistic' beforehand. Really don't think those differences in graphical quality impact the experience of playing game enough to warrant a PC.
60fps does, though.

And being able to mod the game.

DOWN

Banned
This game generally does not screenshot well, sadly.

The graphics certainly are not 'oh my god jaw dropping' for the most part, I agree, especially with certain technical aspects, but overall I find it a pretty beautiful game to actually play and the sheer scale of the game does give it some excuses. As ever, giant open world games require sacrifices.
It's got some lovely art and atmosphere, but people will have to excuse me if that's not what I comment on in a graphics thread. For those who don't mind the graphics, enjoy it. I mind how poorly I find it compares to other games graphically on PS4. Let alone PC.

Mastperf

Absolutely agree. It seems many visual cutbacks are the norm, Dying Light for instance featured less dynamic lights on consoles compared to PC.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-dying-light-face-off

On PC and that remains to be proven. The point of contention is Hairworks and consoles don't have it.
You can't damage control by saying consoles were affected as well.
Dying Light was pretty unfinished on consoles at release. The flaming barrel light sources as well as improved LOD and af (PS4 version) were added to consoles in a post-launch update.

You are about to....evolve. Darwin was right after all.

I kid, I kid. :)

What? CONSOLEPLAYER is evolving?
3a57fff8ffe2dd7f43e2070z2w.gif

Congratulations! Your CONSOLEPLAYER evolved into PCENTHUSIAST!
tumblr_mezu5dz8cn1ruzssxxx.gif

PCENTHUSIAST learned INITWEAK!
tumblr_mezu5dz8cn1ruz6mban.gif

RedAssedApe

Banned
Looks bad in screenshots, looks bad in play performance lol. So when does it look good? Nobody has shown me and the game certainly is determined not to show me.

so you're playing the game right now? if so...dunno what else to say to you. if you hate it so much stop playing? :)

Seanspeed

Banned
It's got some lovely art and atmosphere, but people will have to excuse me if that's not what I comment on in a graphics thread. For those who don't mind the graphics, enjoy it. I mind how poorly I find it compares to other games graphically on PS4.
Like I said, the game does not screenshot well. The AA solution simply does not hold up for still shots, while it works better in motion. That makes a big difference when actually playing. It's still not super clean, but it's not as bad as the screenshots make them seem(just like Bloodborne's CA, for instance).

Ape

Banned
The biggest issues beyond textures and random shadows 10 miles away on consoles to me would be the frame rate. 30 and less isn't really appealing, especially when you consider what it sacrifices to achieve it. Reading the witcher threads you can see some of the posters here complaining about performance, that sucks. There's nothing that I hate more than having a game chug on me. Well, tell you guys what. I have a solution to that. It doesn't end with a 4 or a One.

What? CONSOLEPLAYER is evolving?
3a57fff8ffe2dd7f43e2070z2w.gif

Congratulations! Your CONSOLEPLAYER evolved into PCENTHUSIAST!
tumblr_mezu5dz8cn1ruzssxxx.gif

PCENTHUSIAST learned INITWEAK!
tumblr_mezu5dz8cn1ruz6mban.gif

haha! should have used a primape tho

Can you name a single open world game on the consoles that doesn't ever dip below 30fps? On the whole W3's console performance is well above average, it's just the frame pacing and buffering/v-sync that is a problem. Shadow quality also seems comparable in most instances to PC ultra, on all but more ranged objects.

I don't personally think the game is particularly awe inspiring graphically, but I think a large part of that is because I dislike the overly colourful and cartoony art style.

On a side note, I've not had any issues with small text. I suppose it depends on the size of your TV.
Watch Dogs and GTA V. Both of these hold solid 30 fps 99 percent of the time, and I own both of them.

Regarding shadows, I was talking about draw distance for them and the comparison eatchildren shared speaks volume.

The low NPC count is also disappointing.

HeelPower

These terrible screenshots are a waste of time,Including the PC screenshots :p

The game is insane.I take a deep breath every time it starts up.Its so good.

No to mention that 100% seamlessness from outdoors to indoor areas.

BokehKing

Banned
Idk, I own the ps4 version, graphically I'm definitely not impressed as I was by other games on the system. Then again, other games were not doing the immense size and depth of the Witcher.

I think the cut scenes are horrible, I get texture/color pop in, one second it's night, then day, then there seems to be drops in frames during those moments. (in particular after the griffin when you first encounter
yennifer
Automatic )

I feel like I'm playing a pc game with a controller and I'm sitting too far away from my monitor. They need to boost the size of the text on screen for consoles (if that's possible) I believe it is though, ff14 had that problem in its alpha

These terrible screenshots are a waste of time,Including the PC screenshots :p

The game is insane.I take a deep breath every time it starts up.Its so good.

No to mention that 100% seamlessness from outdoors to indoor areas.

I am extremely enjoying the lack of loading. I am constantly surprised how the world is actually contiguous... even in massive dungeons.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
The load times are the worst aspect between console/PC, I gave up on my Death March run as you have to wait 50-60 seconds every time you die once you get out of White Orchid.

Kezen

Banned
Out of curiosity, what's the performance hit going from one to the other? And what would you say is the minimum GPU requirement to get it looking like that, at 1080p with v-sync at 30fps locked?

Strong CPU required more than GPU, you're looking at a 280-280x or maybe slightly less if you are shooting for 30fps.

Dying Light was pretty unfinished on consoles at release. The flaming barrel light sources as well as improved LOD and af (PS4 version) were added to consoles in a post-launch update.
I heard about the LOD and AF improvements but nothing about light sources, got a link ?

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Looks bad in screenshots, looks bad in play performance lol. So when does it look good? Nobody has shown me and the game certainly is determined not to show me.
If the posts in the screenshot thread and your own experiences don't satisfy then there's nothing else to be done. I genuinely don't know what you expected from the game on consoles. Either way, using a single, unflattering image doesn't strike me as a fair way of evaluating the game.

nib95

Banned
Watch Dogs and GTA V. Both of these hold solid 30 fps 99 percent of the time, and I own both of them.

Regarding shadows, I was talking about draw distance for them and the comparison eatchildren shared speaks volume.

The low NPC count is also disappointing.

Well you're wrong. W3 actually holds a similar frame rate consistency to both the above games (just compare DF frame rate analysis videos), and GTA V is actually worse, especially in driving conditions in inner city areas, where it can drop for larger chunks at a time. Cut scenes are a different story however, where the PS4's v-sync issue lends to random 20fps moments (without the sync the drop would likely be far less substantial).

HeelPower

I am extremely enjoying the lack of loading. I am constantly surprised how the world is actually contiguous... even in massive dungeons.

Yup ,and the game actually zooms in indoors and you can see they were still able to add sufficient,beautiful details in every house/inn/whatever you can enter.

I am sure the artists deserve a lot of credit for that ,but there is nothing like that in previous gen games.

This game definitely handles an insane amount of complexity not seen before.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The difference is quite massive, no doubt, but the scene still looks good in both shots. When you make that comparison it becomes obvious how much more detail is available on the PC but, during normal gameplay, that scene won't look out of place or poor on PS4 especially when using a good display.

I think this is a point that is often glossed over. Details can be absent but the resulting image can still appear quite attractive.

My point is that I feel CDPR (weird hitches aside) did a pretty damn good job on the console versions. The PC version is superior, as it should be, but the console versions look very good on their own terms.

The difference is quite massive, no doubt, but the scene still looks good in both shots. When you make that comparison it becomes obvious how much more detail is available on the PC but, during normal gameplay, that scene won't look out of place or poor on PS4 especially when using a good display.

I think this is a point that is often glossed over. Details can be absent but the resulting image can still appear quite attractive.

My point is that I feel CDPR (weird hitches aside) did a pretty damn good job on the console versions. The PC version is superior, as it should be, but the console versions look very good on their own terms.

I am not sure how much you have looked into it. But on my end, the only hitching is how the camera moves and not with frametime issues (which are a flat 16.6). I hope they look into smoothing out their camera motion while running and galloping.

Kezen

Banned
They made it so torches had a pointlight.
Didn't know that.

Would a GTX 570 SSC and i7 OC'd to 3.7ghz (older version) combo do the trick?
Unfortunately no, you are much better served by the PS4 version.

The Witcher 3 can be very taxing :
The foliage density and shadows settings on ultra KILL the framerate.
w3b1_ultra_1920.png

w3l_ultra_1920.png

w3m_ultra_1920.png

Without Hairworks.

I had to drop those two to high, turn off Hairworks if I wanted to achieve 60fps on my machine (970 / 4770K).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I am not sure how much you have looked into it. But on my end, the only hitching is how the camera moves and not with frametime issues (which are a flat 16.6). I hope they look into smoothing out their camera motion while running and galloping.
I have a problem with capping the frame-rate. Whether I'm using half-refresh, RTSS, or the in-game limiter, the game feels jerky and skips about at 30fps.

When unlocked, the hitches are minimized, but I cannot hold 60fps without dropping a number of details down a bit. So I'm still trying to figure out how I want to play the game at this point.

It is indeed made much worse with the weird camera movement. As the player runs the camera lurches along with each step in a way that makes the game appear jerkier than it actually is.

Javin98

Banned

Agreed. The PS4 version still holds up to the PC version on Ultra quite well and looks much better than I initially thought it would. Suddenly, here in this thread, we have people saying it doesn't look good. Guys, I'm a console gamer myself and some may even call me biased towards Playstation, but admit it, CDP did a good job considering the hardware. Though the difference between the PS4 and XB1 versions should have been bigger.

If I rolled my eyes any harder, they'd roll out of their sockets. The differences are not remotely worth building a livingroom PC for (I like playing on a giant screen with 5.1 surround), but that's just me.

I love playing on a massive screen with 5.1 aswell, it's why god invented HDMI cables longer than 1.5 metres.

In screenshots it's nothing special, but when its running at 60fps with minimal pop in and extremely fast load times that's when it matters.

Wow, the 750ti is amazing little piece of hardware.

Damn straight! I just love seeing that scrappy little card produce good results again and again. I can't wait to see its successor, if Nvidia doesn't pull any punches it could end up powering a whole generation of living room PCs.

Nzyme32

Looks like an awful job for how the game looks on consoles. I miss the original style of the art. Not impressive for me.

People keep trying to tell me these are some of the best graphics, but this is my PS4:

anDQ7ir.jpg

Pine needles all but disappear into blurred textures at just a couple dozen feet away on the left bush.

I don't quite get this line of thinking.

If I had a PS4 or a budget system with a 750ti or a similarly capable laptop, I would be more than happy with the quality of the visuals considering how they have scaled on the PC.

nib95

Banned
Unfortunately no, you are much better served by the PS4 version.

The Witcher 3 can be very taxing :
The foliage density and shadows settings on ultra KILL the framerate.
w3b1_ultra_1920.png

w3l_ultra_1920.png

w3m_ultra_1920.png

Without Hairworks.

I had to drop those two to high, turn off Hairworks if I wanted to achieve 60fps on my machine (970 / 4770K).

Never mind, looks like I made the right choice with the PS4 version. Getting a new GPU when the new architecture and die size arrives anyway.

Majanew

Banned
Once again, the most noticeable difference to me is PC's much better LOD at distances. Those shadows missing on PS4 at distances is a bummer when comparing.

bombshell

There's a surprising lack of talk in the thread about this part:

Ground textures in almost every case lack PC's sharpness, and also fall short of its 16x anisotropic filtering. Xbox One gives the worst results here, and in Novigrad City's main plaza, PS4 hits a mid-point in filtering quality between the other two platforms.

PS4 with better AF than XB1!

jmga

Agreed. The PS4 version still holds up to the PC version on Ultra quite well and looks much better than I initially thought it would. Suddenly, here in this thread, we have people saying it doesn't look good. Guys, I'm a console gamer myself and some may even call me biased towards Playstation, but admit it, CDP did a good job considering the hardware. Though the difference between the PS4 and XB1 versions should have been bigger.

Not sure about that. A weaker 750Ti with an i3 can move the game on same quality + better textures + more population + ¿better physics? at a slightly better framerate.

Nzyme32

Not sure about that. A weaker 750Ti with an i3 can move the game on same quality + better textures + more population + ¿better physics? at a slightly better framerate.

I really don't think the 750ti is either weaker or better than the ps4. They are however, comparable.

It honestly does this on my PC, but fraps is reporting a solidly locked 30fps.

No idea what is causing it, but for a game utterly locked at 30fps, and when it is also unlocked and running 40+ up to 50fps, the game has a weird stutter for me also. The jumps arent as big as in that video but it is definitely there. It is definitely not the smoothest 30fps I have ever seen and I don't know what is causing it, hardware or software.

I just remember thinking man this game must be running like ass with frequent 20fps drops or something, but nope, I turned my detail levels up and unlocked the frame rate and I was actually getting double what I figured the frame rate might actually be even at the lower settings. So I don't understand it.

Yeah seems like same issues are also on PC: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/37181-Strange-movement-camera-judder-effect-on-PC

How come no one at CDprojektRed when playing/developing noticed the stuttering ?
Or maybe they just don't care o_O

Aceofspades

Banned
I probably should have got the PS4 version over the Xbox One version, but oh well now, I should have expected this.

CDPR sent PS4 versions of the game to the reviewers despite having a Marketing deal with MS. That was like a huge hint that PS4 is the preffered console version.

Also, 99.99% of the time PS4>X1, we should accept that by now.

Top Bottom