• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Nintendo Switch CPU and GPU clock speeds revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanWinkle

So, if this thing is any more than $199, it will definitely be overpriced. Not that $199 isn't overpriced itself, but it would be hard to imagine it any less than that.

Lionheart

You don't have to play with the tablet in your hands, and the built in controller looks fine to me.
I'm most worried about the position of the buttons placed vertically above / below the d-pad and stick. That looks so painful to use in long sessions, but I'll await impressions.

The majority of Shield TV games have inferior performance to the Xbox 360. The exception if I remember was DOOM BFG.

I don't think it's unreasonable to assume this is not getting any substantial 3rd-party support.

Here we go again

You guys knew what we were getting

Nintendo and Vita fans should be rejoicing

The GPU downclocking reaction is hilarious. What did you think developers were going to do - make a separate "Ultra 720p" mode with lots of extra effects for their games when undocked? Of course, not. They're going to make a 1080p game (or whatever) and just have the system automatically downscale it in portable mode to fit the 720p screen. By downclocking the GPU, they improve battery, reduce heating, and don't lose any relative power since outputting at 720p requires much less power than 1080p.

The Switch is a Wii U Pro with a better gamepad that's actually portable and doesn't need to stay within range. Alternatively, it's a Vita 2 with a much better built-in PSTV.

I'll take that. I know what I'm signing up for. But it really depends on a price point to me. Anything above 249 and I'm out. But that price or lower it'll be a day one cop for me...

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
If it's got close to Wii U quality while undocked, I'm happy enough with that.

Never expected it to go for broke, but a little disappointed for sure.

The majority of Shield TV games have inferior performance to the Xbox 360. The exception if I remember was DOOM BFG.

I don't think it's unreasonable to assume this is not getting any substantial 3rd-party support.

Have to keep in mind the overhead of running games on Android. That being said, the Switch is almost literally half the system the Shield is, so...

Wasn't there someone
Crazy person
on reddit saying the Switch was possibly gonna have 1 to 1.5TF performance? lol what a pipe dream.

I thought the most recent leak on Venture Beat said 1 TFlop .. I dont think anyone here thought that would be realistic which is why we thought the report was wrong or fake.

Most the posts I saw here were claiming 768 Gflops max while docked (500 or less portable). Which isnt outside the realm of possibility based on the stock performance of Tegra X1 with standard clocks. If you took into consideration the efficiency of Pascal and the wording Nvidia used it wasnt really a far reach to think this was possible.

Lionheart

I haven't been keeping up with those games, but were they 'just' regular Android versions of the games (unoptimized and with a 'fat' OS underneath) or are they specifically built for the Shield TV?

The_Lump

Banned
The most alarming takeaway from this thread is that there are people who think their iPhone 6 is actually capable of out performing a WiiU in terms of running graphically intensive games.

I haven't been keeping up with those games, but were they 'just' regular Android versions of the games (unoptimized and with a 'fat' OS underneath) or are they specifically built for the Shield TV?

There's some optimized for the Shield TV, like Half-Life 2 and Doom, but the OS is still shit (Android)

Axass

Honest question: can't Nintendo just sell a new dock with additional computing power, that improves performance even more, an year down the line or something? Basically a product akin to the Pro, for those wishing to spend more money to have better tech and graphics.

Redd

Eh, Would I love more power? Of course I would.
Would it stop me from buying it? No.
Better be available because I refuse to reward scalpers.

Great stuff!

Nintendo Switch portable mode:

giphy.gif
this thread

Nintendo Switch docked mode:

Need to remove the v from the end of the URL.
cMWalaa.gif

The most alarming takeaway from this thread is that there are people who think their iPhone 6 is actually capable of out performing a WiiU in terms of running graphically intensive games.

The iPhone or iPad would not be able to run BOTW... If it could it would have already been doing it by now.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I thought the most recent leak on Venture Beat said 1 TFlop .. I dont think anyone here thought that would be realistic which is why we thought the report was wrong or fake.

Most the posts I saw here were claiming 768 Tflops max while docked (500 or less portable). Which isnt outside the realm of possibility based on the stock performance of Tegra X1 with standard clocks.

1Tflops of fp16 was always the most likely take, and could actually be approximated if the configuration is SM3 instead of SM2 of an stock TX1.

Honest question: can't Nintendo just sell a new dock with additional computing power, that improves performance even more, an year down the line or something. Basically a product akin to the Pro, for those wishing to spend more money to have better tech and graphics.

No? That destroyes the ENTIRE concept of taking the system out and continuing your games on the go. You would be locking the device into the dock if it where necessary to play games and although that's possible, it would be crazy.

We still don't know the FLOPS of the unit, but yeah it's probably not going to blow any minds as a set-top console. But it'll definitely look good as a portable and I'd love to see a better-looking sequel to A Link Between Worlds!

So in it's handheld form its a compromised experience rather than the game running at the systems full potential either docked or not docked?
Man this is kind of a bummer, and makes me feel once a again another ad was misleading but that's not new in any case.

Akhe

Nintendo, I think It's better your make a hell of a presentation. Forget about "why the character jump", "why the sky is blue" or any other nonsense explanation to waste time. Think about what I said with love.
I'm going to buy it but....I wish you luck.

No? That destroyes the ENTIRE concept of taking the system out and continuing your games on the go. You would be locking the device into the dock if it where necessary to play games and although that's possible, it would be crazy.

Not to mention USB-C wouldn't have enough bandwidth to accommodate this on top of streaming the video feed from the console...

JMY86

I really hope Nintendo has an ace or two up their sleeves for The Switch launch. These specs are underwhelming to say the least and the third parties will be running for the hills after 6 months if this thing gets off to a slow start. They will sell well to the die hard Nintendo fans but just they aren't enough anymore just look at the Wii U. I hope they are planning on $249 or less with these specs otherwise this thing will not have a chance...

Galava

Meh, don't really need to be PS4, Xbone level to succeed. 3DS is successful? Yes, and it's weak af. Those numbers are more than enough for all Nintendo games and the 3rd parties that already support wiiu and 3ds.

Also, hoping for AAA games on Nintendo makes no sense, companies spend too much money deevloping for PS4, XBone, PC. If they can, they will, but don't count on it.

This said, I will still buy this, if i want power and framerate and all those masterrace thingies i have my PC.

Oregano

Heh, I was talking about the Wii U getting PS4/XB1 ports.

Speaking of that, http://wccftech.com/nintendo-switch-supports-vulkan/

In terms of support tools available, I don't think there is a recent comparison to how much easier it will be to port games to the Switch compared to Nintendo's previous systems.

Tools only go so far when the the power gap is so big though. It's still one of the biggest performance gaps within a generation, if not the biggest.

bomblord1

Banned

Well considering it seems the spec difference is almost the exact same amount needed to bump a native res game (720p) to 1080p. Whose to say they couldn't release a 4K dock with the same concept (bump the 720p game up to 4k) a few years down the line?

Drek

I'm not that tech savvy, but it seems from the posters here that it would be very hard to do the things that Nvidia and Nintendo have claimed about being possible on the switch if these specs are correct. Like easily porting Thrid party AAA games over, Skyrim remastered, DQX1. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Easily porting 3rd party AAA games over is all relative to what games they're talking about.

It's literally impossible to port Skyrim Remastered, as it exists on the PS4 and XB1, over to the Switch. In part because a big part of the added features (like 4K) aren't even meant for the standard versions of those home consoles.

"easily porting 3rd party AAA games" likely means that the major 3rd party titles of last generation, now receiving up-ports to PS4/XB1, can easily be ported to the Switch. Which they could because, well, half of them were ported to the Wii U and the Switch is pretty much a lock to be some degree more powerful than the Wii U.

It's all relative however and that applies to something like DQXI. Acting like DQXI being on the Switch is proof that Digital Foundry's article isn't accurate ignores that DQXI is releasing on literally both ends of the current gaming hardware spectrum, for 3DS (the bottom) and PS4 (the top standard platform). Square Enix will make a version that fits the Switch, likely landing somewhere in the middle.

Anyone expecting major 3rd party support any time before the Switch actually takes off on Wii levels of sales success were delusional though. That isn't what Nintendo or anyone else is looking for here. Nintendo wants to fill the gaps in the catalog to make the Switch a viable platform for the average consumer, then allowing Nintendo IPs and hopefully a handful of unique 3rd party games to carry it to significant sales success. Then maybe drawing more 3rd party support, but that is not required.

I will never understand the logic of people who think Bethesda will bother to port a five-years old version of a game they just remastered.

You say this like there's really alternative versions of Skyrim out there. When they released the remaster do you know what happened to by copy on Steam? It suddenly said "Special Edition" next to it and all the mods were broken. Not much else. Just like Dishonored, the Batman Arkham games, etc. it and many other "remasters" are PC assets and a modest amount of touch-ups slapped together into a PS4/XB1 compatible package.

The Switch will get the same treatment, just aimed at a lower threshold. Higher than their initial versions, sure, but these games are entirely scale-able on anything compatible with contemporary PC game code base, which the Switch will be since it's based off of hardware Nvidia has specifically been designing to be compatible with that code base.

You'll get a something between the PS360 Skyrim and the PS4 Skyrim. What exactly depends on the final hardware configuration and how much Bethesda can be bothered to optimize (usually not very much). But you'll get it on a goddamn portable. What else do you expect?

Honest question: can't Nintendo just sell a new dock with additional computing power, that improves performance even more, an year down the line or something. Basically a product akin to the Pro, for those wishing to spend more money to have better tech and graphics.

To what end? So games coded with either 720p assets upscaled to 1080p in docked mode or games with 1080p assets downscaled in handheld mode can then be upscaled to some new resolution? Because you aren't going to see much more flex in what additional hardware will do for Switch games.

Unless you seriously think Nintendo is going to waste resources putting out "Switch Pro" patches despite making it really clear for over a decade now that they aren't interested in the hardware dick waving contest Sony and MS continue to engage in.

I don't understand peope that think Skyrim on Switch is a big deal more.

Because it's portable. And the second best game Bethesda has made basically ever (behind Morrowind). That's pretty cool. I mean, Persona 4:The Golden is pretty stellar on Vita. Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask were a big deal on the 3DS. Updated ports of really great games onto a handheld format has value. Just because it isn't better than the previously best console/PC version doesn't diminish that.

Arkam

They will likely just realease a new more powerful device. I fully expect Nintendo to follow MS/Sony/Apple/nvidia lead and have iterative releases.

MacTag

Banned

Trine 2, Portal, HL2 (although with framepacing issues) and the Borderlands games were all also comparable or improved for performance and IQ on Shield TV. And that's under Android load.

Really it's the other way around, RE5 and MGR being the lone standouts for worse performance on Shield TV than 360. Certainly not a majority.

It is still handheld mode.
Someone mentioned in one the other Switch thread that the Switch will be able to tell when it's connected to the dock and when it's just plugged to a USB-C cable.

oh bummer

you would think it could clock up a bit on direct power

they should put more thought into this but I remain optimistic

AmyS

2 SM. And 4 A57 cores.

MAYBE if we're lucky a couple of small cores for the OS.

Hmm, I'm gonna guess we will have 3 SMs, due to Thraktor's argument that the Switch can run very battery efficiently with 3 SMs at the current clock speed.

Hmmm.

I really hope it's 3 SMs, because 2 SMs with those clockspeeds would make Switch really super low-end as a console.

Edit:

Oh, also:
large.jpg

This is really the only thing that gives me hope.

No rumor tag? Really?

If true, that sucks but that Nintendo cycle is always hardware for a Nintendo games... nothing more, nothing less. Should be a generational PSA.

LordKano

You say this like there's really alternative versions of Skyrim out there. When they released the remaster do you know what happened to by copy on Steam? It suddenly said "Special Edition" next to it and all the mods were broken. Not much else. Just like Dishonored, the Batman Arkham games, etc. it and many other "remasters" are PC assets and a modest amount of touch-ups slapped together into a PS4/XB1 compatible package.

The Switch will get the same treatment, just aimed at a lower threshold. Higher than their initial versions, sure, but these games are entirely scale-able on anything compatible with contemporary PC game code base, which the Switch will be since it's based off of hardware Nvidia has specifically been designing to be compatible with that code base.

You'll get a something between the PS360 Skyrim and the PS4 Skyrim. What exactly depends on the final hardware configuration and how much Bethesda can be bothered to optimize (usually not very much). But you'll get it on a goddamn portable. What else do you expect?

I don't expect anything else, why are you so irritated ? It will be the special edition, downgraded enough so it can run on Switch. I mean, they won't port the PS360 version because that would make no sense, that's what my point was.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
If it's got close to Wii U quality while undocked, I'm happy enough with that.

Never expected it to go for broke, but a little disappointed for sure.

A wiiu like portable with modern architecture for modern assets and engines would have been great
With a plus deriving from a docked mode, even battere

Ot will be this, but due to their positioning in the preview and with third party it will be disappointing

Asd202

It would be a signal that third parties are taking interest once more in a Nintendo console, that is the big deal here.

Still I don't see it. This a remaster of a 5 year old game not Doom, not Dishonored 2 not even Fallout 4. Also as far as we know Nintendo may be paying for this port.

The GPU downclocking reaction is hilarious. What did you think developers were going to do - make a separate "Ultra 720p" mode with lots of extra effects for their games when undocked? Of course, not. They're going to make a 1080p game (or whatever) and just have the system automatically downscale it in portable mode to fit the 720p screen. By downclocking the GPU, they improve battery, reduce heating, and don't lose any relative power since outputting at 720p requires much less power than 1080p.

The Switch is a Wii U Pro with a better gamepad that's actually portable and doesn't need to stay within range. Alternatively, it's a Vita 2 with a much better built-in PSTV.

This assumes every game can run at 1080p in dock mode. Switch will be quite weak even in dock mode if these rumors are true. Dark Souls 3 would struggle at 720p with everything on the PC equivalent of "Low". Will it drop down to 480p in portable mode then? Will it simply not come to the system at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom