• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: PlayStation 4 Pro Review: The First 4K Games Console?

Anybody use a external hard drive with USB 3.0 to transfer over their files instead of a ethernet cable yet? USB 3.0 should be much much faster right? I have a external HD and was just wondering if that's the method I should choose instead of connecting the PS4's together whenever I get my Pro.

Anybody use a external hard drive with USB 3.0 to transfer over their files instead of a ethernet cable yet? USB 3.0 should be much much faster right? I have a external HD and was just wondering if that's the method I should choose instead of connecting the PS4's together whenever I get my Pro.

The bottleneck is some sort of encryption I think, not transfer speed.

DBT85

Buying a $100 cable is of course nonsense, but it's worth pointing out that if you need a 4K, HDR capable HDMI cable, not every cheap cable, or existing cable will do - especially if you need a longer cable. They confirmed this on digital foundry the other day, and they sounded pretty surprised about it themselves.

That's to be expected with more information but we're still talking about cables costing less than £8 unless you're running one like 20+ feet.

Baffled why they'd be surprised though, they more than most know what HDMI 2.0 requires. But then I'm also baffled that in 2016 standard length HDMI cables selling for more than £10 is still a thing.

In fairness the Pro's clock boosts are bigger than that, and it would probably be useful for certain games that target 30fps and suffer little dips to 27-28. That sort of consistency improvement can be really nice, and I do hope Sony at least attempts to test it out.
Genuinely I wish they would just give people the choice to even just run the boosted clocks with a big flashy warning of impending death.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Everything uses supersampling if it renders above your display resolution, it's not a feature the developer has to enable.
Yeah that's how it works but is that what the PS4Pro does?
For all know PS4Pro may just decide to switch to standard mode for 1080p so?
And would you want that? I mean the 4k version by default?
RotTR had some stuff missing graphically in 4k on Pro in DF's video

In games where it resolution changes impact the experience I believe there will be menu selection options to pick which version you wish to play.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Baffled why they'd be surprised though, they more than most know what HDMI 2.0 requires. But then I'm also baffled that in 2016 standard length HDMI cables selling for more than £10 is still a thing.
The surprise comes from bad cables that are supposedly rated to handle the bandwidth including active cables designed for this purpose.

I sampled six different HDMI cables that were each 15ft long - each one was noted as being suitable for the use case.

Two of them didn't work at all when displaying 4K60, two of them could only supported 4K60 with 4:2:0 color subsampling and two of them were capable of 4K60 RGB or 4:4:4.

So the issue is that you can't always count on the labeling.

Leyasu

Banned
The surprise comes from bad cables that are supposedly rated to handle the bandwidth including active cables designed for this purpose.

I sampled six different HDMI cables that were each 15ft long - each one was noted as being suitable for the use case.

Two of them didn't work at all when displaying 4K60, two of them could only supported 4K60 with 4:2:0 color subsampling and two of them were capable of 4K60 RGB or 4:4:4.

So the issue is that you can't always count on the labeling.

Could you recommend me some reasonably priced decent cables please??

Maybe I missed it, but how is the PS4 Pro as just a pure upscaler for the games that haven't been patched? Do they look alright? Not talking about checkerboard etc lets say Doom or something, a game that isn't receiving support but a game I'd be keen to play on a new tv regardless. (or is this more a thing on your tv's end?)

dark10x

Could you recommend me some reasonably priced decent cables please??
Believe it or not, I've had good luck with Amazon Basics cables...mostly. I have five of them and four of them support 4K60 RGB. One of them does not (which concerns me).

Weirdly enough, I was also able to get 4K60 RGB using two shorter cables and a coupler. The fact that this solution worked when single cables did not was surprising.

Checkerboard 2160p in Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare.

http://gifyu.com/images/8gGwkxA4.png
http://gifyu.com/images/fTiYWpdu.png
http://gifyu.com/images/SrC7MFLA.png
http://gifyu.com/images/uSevjGE0.png

Like Horizon: Zero Dawn, I really have to pixel-peep to see the 'fluffy' edge imperfections.

I'm watching these on dual 24 inch 1080p monitors (full 4K width, scrolling up and down to see the rest of the picture).

If I stand even just at the distance in which I can actually see the whole width in my focal vision (about half a meter?), it is pretty much completely indistinguishable from native 4K.

That's freaking incredible. At 60 FPS, in a 400 bucks box (390€ with a game in Spain!). Again, that's INSANE.

Leyasu

Banned
Believe it or not, I've had good luck with Amazon Basics cables...mostly. I have five of them and four of them support 4K60 RGB. One of them does not (which concerns me).

Weirdly enough, I was also able to get 4K60 RGB using two shorter cables and a coupler. The fact that this solution worked when single cables did not was surprising.

Ok thanks. Makes me a little uneasy knowing that it is a potential cable lottery.

dark10x

I'm watching these on dual 24 inch 1080p monitors (full 4K width, scrolling up and down to see the rest of the picture).

If I stand even just at the distance in which I can actually see the whole width in my focal vision (about half a meter?), it is pretty much completely indistinguishable from native 4K.

That's freaking incredible. At 60 FPS, in a 400 bucks box (390€ with a game in Spain!). Again, that's INSANE.
If you look at certain elements, you get single pixel stair steps. This is what I've referred to when noting that it can appear native res.

KRec.png

...and in this shot, if you look at the edge of the weapon sight and Ethan's arm, you can see motion artefacting (the loss in quality when moving). You can see that it's not really a severe issue. The main thing here is that it doesn't look like a blurry, upscaled image. It genuinely appears sharp.

LRec.png

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

I just got a few Amazon Basics cables and they seem fine, only tested on UHD though.

Just as an aside, if I have a 4K tv with HDR I should be selecting RGB 2160p yes? I usually just leave it on automatic.

dark10x

I just got a few Amazon Basics cables and they seem fine, only tested on UHD though.

Just as an aside, if I have a 4K tv with HDR I should be selecting RGB 2160p yes? I usually just leave it on automatic.
I haven't had a chance to use the Pro in my own setup yet but I would do automatic.

Reason being, RGB 2160p will only support 8-bits per channel for HDR content. I'm not yet sure if the PS4 will automatically switch to 4:2:0 mode on its own when RGB is forced. It's a limitation of HDMI 2.0.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I haven't had a chance to use the Pro in my own setup yet but I would do automatic.

Reason being, RGB 2160p will only support 8-bits per channel for HDR content. I'm not yet sure if the PS4 will automatically switch to 4:2:0 mode on its own when RGB is forced. It's a limitation of HDMI 2.0.

Thanks. Looking forward to playing around with the TV/AVR/PS4 settings on Thursday, always the most fun part of new tech.

I should've asked in this thread instead of the other one.

If I'm using a 1080p display, can I still run games natively in their "4K" modes to supersample automatically?

if your TV supports 4K+60fps+HDR+4:4:4, yes.

But keep in mind the 4:4:4 increases the input lag on some TVs.

My TV, KS8000, supports that but adds 15ms input lag according to rtings.

Markitron

My TV, KS8000, support that but adds 15ms input lag according to rtings.

It's a high-end 2015 Sony so I'm fairly certain it does, I'll check RTings though, thanks.

Edit: From the RTings review of my TV
Supported Resolutions: 10
1080p @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 Show Help : Yes
1080p @ 120Hz Show Help : Yes
4k @ 30Hz @ 4:4:4 Show Help : Yes
4k @ 60Hz Show Help : Yes
4k @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 Show Help : Yes

Looks like I'm covered :) Full RGB + Game mode seems to be the way to go.

...and in this shot, if you look at the edge of the weapon sight and Ethan's arm, you can see motion artefacting (the loss in quality when moving). You can see that it's not really a severe issue. The main thing here is that it doesn't look like a blurry, upscaled image. It genuinely appears sharp.

LRec.png

Oh I agree, up close you can see some imperfections. But even knowing that these artifacts (especially on the gun sight) are there, if I sit back until the whole picture is in my focal vision, I can't see absolutely any imperfections at all.

Who's gonna sit so close to a TV that they can't actually see the whole freaking thing? Mind you, if I display the picture at full screen size on a single 24 inch 1080p monitor, and I sit PC-close to it, I can juuuuuuuuust about make the imperfection out if I focus on it and squint a bit.

The results here are simply incredible. And the fact that this was achieved with clever trickery makes it that much more special to me. I love clever solutions (one of the reasons why I love the Megadrive and its games so much).

//DEVIL//

I am not sure where to post this.

Someone test the noise of the ps4 pro with uncharted 4.
https://youtu.be/PrmEx3C7pQc

Based on my observations it's louder than the C model ps4 ( the one with mate cover ) and quiter than the original. Not sure what to think about that but i hate a loud console

Inside

Based on my observations it's louder than the C model ps4 ( the one with mate cover ) and quiter than the original. Not sure what to think about that but i hate a loud console

From this video the ambient noise from the recording is still louder than the console doing the whole video. Is is very promising for me, as my launch PS4 sounds like a jetplane taking off.

kyser73

The sound recording is so shitty I don't know how you even begin to come to any conclusion. I had my phone up to my ear and I heard a pitch shift at about the 2m mark that was almost inaudible against the mic hiss.

What kind of stuff was missing? I watched that video and can't recall anything.

flozuki

It's a high-end 2015 Sony so I'm fairly certain it does, I'll check RTings though, thanks.

Wasn´t it mentioned in the digital foundry video, that with a 4k HDR TV RGB should not be the option you chose (not sure now)?

Markitron

Wasn´t it mentioned in the digital foundry video, that with a 4k HDR TV RGB should not be the option you chose (not sure now)?

That's if i doesn't support 4K @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 AFAIK, mine does.

Occam

Yes, I intend to do create a backup using a USB 3.0 hdd today or tomorrow. It's how I did it when I installed a 2TB drive into my regular PS4, too.

Rather shit, apparently. It's by far the weakest upgrade out of the group - very poor scaling and with increased frame rate drops over the original. Hopefully a further patch will clear things up.

Not surprising to see Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is the weakest Pro upgrade. Performance was terrible on OG PS4 as well.

Really don't understand why anyone liked that game on PS4. Maybe on PC it'd be okay, but jeez. Just a shitshow of incompetence all around.

Hopefully Dishonored 2 will kick ass this week.

NXGamer

That's to be expected with more information but we're still talking about cables costing less than £8 unless you're running one like 20+ feet.

Genuinely I wish they would just give people the choice to even just run the boosted clocks with a big flashy warning of impending death.
This is sad and so true, I actively try to inform People on this as I did in my 4K/HDR article and video. You would be unlikely (not impossible) to have a cable that does not support 2.0 but it will not stop "gold plated" connections in a digital cable $100 straight cash in will still happen, and it's a big reason I share information as possible.

Markitron

This is sad and so true, I actively try to inform People on this as I did in my 4K/HDR article and video. You would be unlikely (not impossible) to have a cable that does not support 2.0 but it will not stop "gold plated" connections in a digital cable $100 straight cash in will still happen, and it's a big reason I share information as possible.

Is there any chance you could weigh in on this? Many thanks

That's if i doesn't support 4K @ 60Hz @ 4:4:4 AFAIK, mine does.

So is there really any chance we will get another patch for Deus Ex? Whether for better upscaling or at least better performance?

thelastword

Banned
Sony's checkerboard technique is really impressive. I like how the result is very close to native 4k with a fraction of the GPU cost.
Yeah it's great, but bear in mind that infinite warfare is one of the few titles checkerboarding to full 2160P, it doesn't checkerboard to 1800p and then upscale. The other title that I know is Zero Dawn, the results are indeed stellar.

Awesome. Do we know if Infinite Warfare will use any supersampling for those with 1080p?
It's automatic, any resolution above 1080p will offer you supersampling on the downscale. 2160p checkerboarding (supersampled) as in the case of Infinte Warfare will look even better than a lower resolution checkerboard render.

thelastword

Banned
I'd imagine he's saying that Xbox One S likely gives an average of 1fps improvement to performance, so the "no Pro improvement on unpatched games" isn't much loss.

The "1fps" is an estimate, but probably a good one. Digital Foundry only found an average of 2.3 fps improvements across the games they tested, and that's when focusing on titles most likely to see a bump. And they had a real outlier in Project Cars, too. Knock that off their list, and the remaining games only averaged 1.4 fps gains.
Thank you, I understand that some people may want an automatic framerate increase, but there are downsides with compatibility. Making vanilla games have access to the full GPU and CPU upgrades of the Pro would have also deterred devs from giving us all these pro patches we are seeing which improves resolution, framerate, textures assets, shadows, AA, AF etc...It's better that the games get patched than simply being left to an automatic hardware boost.

People forget that these consoles are still not PC's and different developers used the hardware different than others, some games would break. On the flip, if a developer wishes he could do the bare minimum geometry render and have the game look and perform much better over a 2-3 day span.

I don't think there's been any game where the higher framerate option is not selectable in the games menu. Locking that to your display output setting would be a very dumb move by the developer.
Are you referring to the initial analysis on the September 7th video......Wasn't Deus Ex rendering at 3360 * 1890 or something......Have that patched been deployed yet? if not, why would you assume that no improvements were made?

What they had at the Sony event, I didn't think it looked bad at all, however if they are having performance issues, they could simply checkerboard to 1800p to gain some perf over their current resolution. I am not sure this patch is live yet however....

chaosaeon

Wait, so for the Pro, devs can just lazily upscale, not take advantage of the checker boarding or additional power at all and essentially make everything into what would be considered lazy remasters with simple res bumps ? If a bunch of games do that it would be such a waste.

So Uncharted 4 isn't even 4k/checkerboarding right ? What did they do for UC4 for the Pro then ? They made it 1440p and 1080 for MP and called it a day ? That's really surprising and disappointing.

My TV, KS8000, supports that but adds 15ms input lag according to rtings.

But people are now saying if you do this then you don't get HDR.

For HDR and 4K you need to select YUV instead on the PS4 pro output settings.

Bramble

Wait, so for the Pro, devs can just lazily upscale, not take advantage of the checker boarding or additional power at all and essentially make everything into what would be considered lazy remasters with simple res bumps ? If a bunch of games do that it would be such a waste.

So Uncharted 4 isn't even 4k/checkerboarding right ? What did they do for UC4 for the Pro then ? They made it 1440p and 1080 for MP and called it a day ? That's really surprising and disappointing.

Yes, but rumour goes they are coming with a bigger patch later.

And please, Uncharted 4 is one of the most beautiful games ever. ND deserves more credit.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
What kind of stuff was missing? I watched that video and can't recall anything.
In DF'S first RotTR video they compared to PC a few months back it had particle and lighting effects missing that was actually even present in the Xbone version but wad missing in the PS4PRO version, it may have been an early build though

Top Bottom