• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: PlayStation 4 Pro Review: The First 4K Games Console?

Am I reading it wrong in that not all games do it? Just from reading the main review it sounds like inFamous doesn't super sample and boosts frame rate instead. Which I'd actually take stable/better frame rate over super sampling in action games any day.

In the case of Infamous, you can choose between performance or resolution with resolution being the default.

Ricky_R

Maybe because they had to do two patches (TLoU and U4).

U4 still have a DLC to come. So, maybe they will do another patch for U4 on Pro.

Yeah, who knows!

Hey, the game will downsample from 1440p which is, according to the video, a 78% increase in resolution so it should be a nice improvement whether you're downsampling or playing on a 4k TV.

I just expected Sony's flagship title to go all in.

Siever

Neo Member
omg where did u hear that ? please be not true please :(

In the review:

"We've yet to put the Pro through exhaustive tests here, but we note a peak 55dB during inFamous First Light gameplay, but really it's not so much the loudness that's the issue as opposed to the pitch. The fan spins up and down and is clearly audible from across the room."

:(

//DEVIL//

i used to have the limited edition MGS ps4.

that thing wasnt really loud at all. i mean, you can barely hear it if the TV is on mute and u r like 1.5 meter away.

if the TV is not on mute. i dont remember hearing it at all.

In the review:

"We've yet to put the Pro through exhaustive tests here, but we note a peak 55dB during inFamous First Light gameplay, but really it's not so much the loudness that's the issue as opposed to the pitch. The fan spins up and down and is clearly audible from across the room."

spwolf

man, Richard is so annoying... They picked not a great HDR TV (known to anyone who ever read any review of it), and conclusion is that HDR is in infancy since they chose to not follow any advice ever posted by anyone when purchasing HDR TV.

Nothing will make their TV better at HDR... what would have made it better is reading specs and reviews and buying appropriate TV for same money.

DOWN

Banned
Pro is now confirmed to downsample games at higher internal rendering. Some people were concerned about whether or not that would be the acse or those options would be greyed out, so here it is.
? Where is it confirmed that something like say Skyrim which has only a confirmed improved 4K mode with better foliage, is supersampling that mode to -080p if you have a 1080p tv? And how do we know that if it does supersample it, the devs didn't manually enable that?

Coxy100

Banned
"In terms of the acoustic performance of the Pro, it has much more in common with the c-chassis PS4 than the Slim. We were hoping that the larger console may integrate a larger fan - typically, the larger fan, the slower it needs to spin in order to displace the same amount of heat. We've yet to put the Pro through exhaustive tests here, but we note a peak 55dB during inFamous First Light gameplay, but really it's not so much the loudness that's the issue as opposed to the pitch. The fan spins up and down and is clearly audible from across the room. Initial tests on heat again show a profile similar to the standard PS4. We'll have more on this to share later, but right now, it's fair to say that a fair amount of heat is kicked out of the rear of the unit and in common with any current-gen console, it should not be housed in an enclosed area."

That's key for me. I sit right next to my PS4 (Slim). Unless a revision arrives at some point, I won't be upgrading to the Pro.

Still apart from the sound it's a great review - enjoy Pro owners!

Got it. So just, ps4 to ps4 pro, no router involved. Assuming a wireless connection?

You can't do it over wireless at all. You can use a router as well but they do offer a direct connection option. Haven't tried this myself. Just going on what I have seen via youtube videos.

RockmanBN

Whether SSD speeds are a dramatic difference for the Pro over the regular model is I keep the pre-order or not. 1080p differences are not enough for me to switch. Also sucks thst there are no performance gains unlike the Xbone S.

Drewfonse

You can't do it over wireless at all. You can use a router as well but they do offer a direct connection option. Haven't tried this myself. Just going on what I have seen via youtube videos.

Ok, thanks. The DF article specifically mentions a router, that's why I was asking.

jett

D-Member
That was a fairly barebones review to be honest, and not a single 4K screenshot or screen comparison in the article. What's that about?

It seems like Youtube is taking its sweet-ass time making 4K available, if the videos were indeed uploaded in 4K. Good luck with the Patreon, it's a cool idea.

In terms of the acoustic performance of the Pro, it has much more in common with the c-chassis PS4 than the Slim. We were hoping that the larger console may integrate a larger fan - typically, the larger fan, the slower it needs to spin in order to displace the same amount of heat. We've yet to put the Pro through exhaustive tests here, but we note a peak 55dB during inFamous First Light gameplay, but really it's not so much the loudness that's the issue as opposed to the pitch. The fan spins up and down and is clearly audible from across the room. Initial tests on heat again show a profile similar to the standard PS4. We'll have more on this to share later, but right now, it's fair to say that a fair amount of heat is kicked out of the rear of the unit and in common with any current-gen console, it should not be housed in an enclosed area.

Well that sucks.

"In terms of the acoustic performance of the Pro, it has much more in common with the c-chassis PS4 than the Slim. We were hoping that the larger console may integrate a larger fan - typically, the larger fan, the slower it needs to spin in order to displace the same amount of heat. We've yet to put the Pro through exhaustive tests here, but we note a peak 55dB during inFamous First Light gameplay, but really it's not so much the loudness that's the issue as opposed to the pitch. The fan spins up and down and is clearly audible from across the room. Initial tests on heat again show a profile similar to the standard PS4. We'll have more on this to share later, but right now, it's fair to say that a fair amount of heat is kicked out of the rear of the unit and in common with any current-gen console, it should not be housed in an enclosed area."

That's key for me. I sit right next to my PS4 (Slim). Unless a revision arrives at some point, I won't be upgrading to the Pro.

Still apart from the sound it's a great review - enjoy Pro owners!

To each their own, but why not get it somewhere that allows returns and just see how it performs irl? Other reviews have claimed it to be equally silent as the Slim or even more so.

Well that sucks.
What does? They're saying they're pleasantly surprised with the power draw.

UrbanRats

I assume ND is knee deep in their U4 DLC, but it's still disappointing to see the minimal Pro enhancements.

Nevertheless, after this i feel a bit better about having cancelled my preorder for it.
If you're in the market for a PS4, this is clearly the best choice, but if you already have a PS4, the upgrade just isn't worth it yet, in my opinion.

I'll wait to see what it does for FFXV and Last Guardian, though.

//DEVIL//

"PlayStation 4 Pro is the quietest PlayStation to date."

this .. what the hell.. are we in for a bunch of lucky ps4 pro owners getting a quite console and the others wont? give me a fucking break with this shit already

someone contact digital foundry. do they have a bad PS4 PRo?

valkyre

I have a question. I have a 1080p display.

Say I get a PS4 Pro, and I get a game that has framerate problems (yes I know it is not supposed to happen but we already have an example like DF said) when playing at 4K.

When a game is downsampled from 4k to 1080p does it retain any framerate issues it has when displaying to 4k? And is this downsampling to 1080p forced? To be more clear, if an "X" game plays worse on Pro, can I simply run it as base PS4 does? Without downsampling?

I know it sounds crazy, but if a title has worse framerate it is nice to have the option to run it like PS4 does.

uV8J3mX.png

darkwing

How can there be such a discrepancy already? DF saying original (launch?) PS4 levels, others saying C-Chasis, others saying totally silent.

I hope its not fan roulette again!

DF is saying C-chassis, not launch PS4s, although my launch PS4 is pretty quiet, but I'm regularly cleaning the dust inside

shanafan

Seems like it is a wait and see approach with what happens with the PS4 Pro out of the gate for current PS4 owners.

I do have a 4K HDR TV, but I am not ready to bite yet.

jett

D-Member
To each their own, but why not get it somewhere that allows returns and just see how it performs irl? Other reviews have claimed it to be equally silent as the Slim or even more so.

What does? They're saying they're pleasantly surprised with the power draw.

I meant to quote the paragraph about noise, sorry.

JimiNutz

Banned
Very tempted to buy one now but I tnink I'll hold out at least a little longer until we know more about Scorpio.

No point buying a new console now when another more powerful console is just around the corner. If Scorpio is unreasonably priced then I'll pick up a Pro for hopefully a cheaper price than if I bought now.

Top Bottom