• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Resident Evil 7 PS4/Pro/XB1/PC Comparison

AmyS

9AGUgzY.jpg

Maximus P

Is 45 fps on Xbox One solid?

Occasionally drops to as low as 45fps. The video said that the game normally sticks between 50fps-60fps during heavy cut scenes so I'm guessing drops to 45fps are uncommon.

It's not what I would call 'Solid' but I'm perfectly fine with capcoms choice to stick to 1080p here . I've played the game for around 4 hours on the Xbox one S and although I have come across slight stutters they have been very brief and would probably account for a very small percentage of my overall gametime.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Isn't this 60 fps because it's a PSVR game?

That's a contributing factor, but it's not like this is a last-gen uprez port (ala Phantom Pain or recently Tales of Berseria). The game is pushing some very nice visual effects. It's always good to see developers putting the extra work in eg Doom to ensure resolution and performance are both optimal.

There is quite a difference between the candyland and digital foundry ps4pro comparisons.

gxlc.png

hxlc.png

I played both videos at 1080p

Yeah that's a pretty big difference. DF probably compresses their videos more for youtube but the below one looks more like how the game is on Pro, crisper and edges are defined, not smeared into each other.

If dark10x is reading this topic, we would really appreciate a second look, not a whole another video, but if someone could give the pixel counting a second go at DF just to see whether there's a dynamic change.

ethomaz

Banned
NXGamer replied that on twitter about the DF differences.

Have not had chance to cover final pc & X1 release till tonight. Demo on Pc had better effects SSR etc will have article soon.

https://twitter.com/N_X_G/status/825014323797958656

I'm reading wrong or he is using the Demo to compare instead the final game???

Edit - Ohhhh I get it... his comparison video is based on Demo... the final cover will be based in the game... I guess.

NXGamer

NXGamer replied that on twitter about the DF differences.

I'm reading wrong or he is using the Demo to compare instead the final game???

Edit - Ohhhh I get it... his comparison video is based on Demo... the final cover will be based in the game... I guess.
You are bang on sir.

Maybe you should check your tv. Could be it's up converting engine is causing the blurriness cause it's clear on my setup.

I have yet to hear of a TV upscaler that would cause that amount of blur.

Me commenting on the clarity of the game obviously implies that other games do look sharp.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I'm willing to bet they went for 1080p on XB1 for an easy transition to 4k on Scorpio(plus improved framerate).

That wouldn't make much sense, for Scorpio they can just use 4K PC assets, the game is already a UWP game.

I'm
not
looking forward to reading posts like this for the next ten months.

Let's just stick to comparing the game on platforms that have already shipped.
I'm not comparing, if I was I would have compared on my first post on this thread. And I wouldn't compare anyway based on speculation.

All Xbox One games should have dynamic resolution to guarantee better performance now and later run at full 1080p on Scorpio.

I think scaling resolution should be a thing in all major engines in 2017. For far too long we've been forced to pick a resolution and accept variable FPS. Why shouldnt we be able to pick a static FPS and accept variable Resolution?

SURGEdude

Played through it on PC and XB1 and I want to agree with the people who suggested 900p locked would have been a better choice than 1080 with drops.

The game has enough effects that the slightly softened image wouldn't be as jarring as some of the frame drops are.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I can't get it to run very smoothly on a 7870 at 1080p, even with every setting turned down or off. Wonder what the PS4 version is doing to get such a solid 60.

SURGEdude

It's "potentially acceptable"?!

How about whenever the developers choose to employ it? It's an aesthetic choice, just like any other rendering parameter.

Meh, it's the flavor of the month effect. Just like when everybody went ape-shit with lens flare.

Having said that, this alone with Alien:I make better use of it than most. But a toggle should always be offered.

dr_rus

Strange choice of settings for PC version there, TXAA with FXAA seems unnecessary and is NV exclusive while HBAO+ should work on all h/w but isn't used.

I'm a huge PC gamer, but I have to admit.. after playing the game on a PS4 Pro in VR, there's simply no better way to play this game. It's amazing.

So yea.. PS4ProVR>PS4VR>PC>PS4Pro>PS4>XO

Hopefully when the exclusivity deal ends it will come to VIVE and Oculus. It's really a system seller for VR.

ZehDon

Something I noted in the RE7 VR Impressions thread, and didn't see covered in the video, is the momentary resolution drops when playing in VR Mode. Best example is when walking into the main hall. As everything is streaming in, the resolution drops for a few seconds, before the game snaps back to clarity. I'm not sure if this is a VR Mode only thing, but it would seem to suggest a dynamic resolution is in play somewhat?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Using chandoog's pic for comparison. If someone could resize my PC screenshot to 1080p and throw it up on screenshotcomparison.com I'd appreciate it. I'm on mobile.

PS4Pro

High-end PC

Pretty much looks the same aside from CA and POV and sharpened FXAA+TAA
If the PC version doesn't have chromatic aberration enabled the comparison is pointless & misleading

Momentary

Banned
If the PC version doesn't have chromatic aberration enabled the comparison is pointless & misleading

Lol ok. Why is it misleading? I'Lloyd tell you what. I'm driving home right now. I'll cook another screenshot up to meet your atandards.

HeelPower

Sounds like Capcom got their next gen engine figured out ?

Panta Rhei maybe dead but this is really impressive all around.Not often do we 1080p 60 fps with good visuals and lighting on console.

Especially the 60 fps part lol.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Something I noted in the RE7 VR Impressions thread, and didn't see covered in the video, is the momentary resolution drops when playing in VR Mode. Best example is when walking into the main hall. As everything is streaming in, the resolution drops for a few seconds, before the game snaps back to clarity. I'm not sure if this is a VR Mode only thing, but it would seem to suggest a dynamic resolution is in play somewhat?

is that actually a resolution drop or just texture streaming seen through the limitations of the headset?

CLEEK

Played about 3 hours so far. Pro+PSVR. The game has been rock solid and is definitely one of the better looking PSVR games. Getting up close to other people looks incredible.

Timu

The PS4 PRO version is really on par with the PC version maxed out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3McRLtx5y1Q

Not just, that but with PC specs in that video, the PC version runs around 26-30 FPS while the PRO version is solid 60 FPS.

I think the devs are getting more grips with the PS4 PRO hardware. This bodes well for the future.
Well, the PS4 Pro version isn't running at 4k like the PC version and I'm not even sure if that version is maxed out either. While the PS4 Pro version is impressive for what it's doing, it still looks better on the PC.

napata

The PS4 PRO version is really on par with the PC version maxed out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3McRLtx5y1Q

Not just, that but with PC specs in that video, the PC version runs around 26-30 FPS while the PRO version is solid 60 FPS.

I think the devs are getting more grips with the PS4 PRO hardware. This bodes well for the future.

Doesn't really look on par, based on the screenshot comparison earlier in this thread. Also how can it be on par with maxed settings when HBAO+ is only on PC?

-shadow-

High-end PC

Pretty much looks the same aside from CA and POV and sharpened FXAA+TAA

I really think that the PC version without the CA looks more nasty (in a good way) than the console versions actually. The effect rarely does anything for me and it really looks terrible. It's cool for the VHS sections, but that's about it.

Top Bottom