• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digitimes Rumor: Nintendo to ship 10-12m NX units in 2016, mass production in Q2

Nintendo's new game console is scheduled to enter mass production at the end of the first quarter 2016 and despite the fact that the Japan-based company is targeting to ship 20 million units in 2016, the device's upstream component suppliers expect shipments to only reach around 10-12 million units. Foxconn Electronics (Hon Hai Precision Industry) reportedly has been chosen to manufacture the device, but the company declined to comment on its clients or orders.

The new console is estimated to enter mass shipments in the second quarter. In addition to Foxconn, suppliers such as Foxconn Technology, Macronix, Pixart Imaging, Coxon Precise Industrial, Nishoku Technology, Delta Technology, Lingsen Precision Industries and Jentech will also supply components for the device.

Digitimes Research expects Microsoft's Xbox One and Sony's PlayStation 4 to achieve shipments of 13 and 18 million units, respectively in 2016, and if Nintendo's new console is able to ship 10 million units in the year, the company will then be able to maintain its competitiveness in the market.

It appears that the article is referring to the Japanese fiscal year for quarter periods.

So, the Nintendo NX will enter mass production at the end of June 2016 (Q1 2016 = 2016-04 through 2016-06), and it will enter mass shipments in the quarter ending September 2016 (Q2 2016 = 2016-07 through 2016-09).

Given that Nintendo has to ship video game consoles to its consolidated subsidiaries for further distribution to wholesalers and retailers, this strategy would orient the Nintendo NX nicely for a simultaneous November 2016 release in Japan and the USA.

I expect a January 2016 announcement for the Nintendo NX in the form of a Nintendo Direct in conjunction with Nintendo's Q3 Fiscal Year results.

Then, further elaboration and a full unveiling at E3 2016 in preparation for a November 2016 launch.

It meshes nicely with Nintendo's focus on announcing and releasing their products within a short timeframe to minimize copycats.

Under Tatsumi Kimishima's leadership, I expect Nintendo to more quickly capitalize on market changes. The Wii U video game console is an abject failure for the company so I imagine that Nintendo management want to approach the Wii U in a similar fashion to how they handled the Game Boy Advance to Nintendo DS transition (i.e. Nintendo will cease Wii U software support by 2017).

I think it`s odd that Nintendo want to release this device in the middle of the XBO/PS4 generation. How do they expect third party developers to treat the NX? That they`ll release multi platform games on it, just like they do on XBO and PS4? If yes, how will that even be a success? This generation already have their fan base established.

It's not that early if you imagine that the next iteration of the Xbox and/or PlayStation will show up somewhere around 2018.

atbigelow

Are we going to seriously have to wait until E3 2016 to find out what the hell this thing is, especially if they plan on shipping next year?

I'm gonna guess there's gonna be info at GDC, at least. It would be cool to announce it before then to get the media excited (if it's worth being excited about) and then really let devs dig into it at GDC.

Interested in the handheld component of this, I was thinking about buying a 3ds but this might be a better option.

I mean, is this going to be replacing the 3ds in this new hybrid eco system?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
The Macronix mention combined with the lack of Panasonic may just be for the handheld unit, but if not I have no idea who is going to foot the bill for 32 GB cards like that one writer's (Emily Rogers) proposed XCX port, or what Lego City Undercover would have required. Interesting if this is the default media for both. Those are just hypotheticals but what happens to big games like those 2 would have been had they been on NX and not on Wii U? Does this kill 3rd party support before it appears?

Did Nintendo use Macronix parts outside of DS and 3DS game cards?

What if the card is basically a license key, and you have to download anyway?

finalflame

Interested in the handheld component of this, I was thinking about buying a 3ds but this might be a better option.

I mean, is this going to be replacing the 3ds in this new hybrid eco system?

Nobody knows of anything regarding handheld/home console interconnectivity on NX.

With that said, skipping the 3DS seems like a misstep. Even if NX handheld comes out next year, it will take years to amass a library as great as the 3DS. Probably still worth getting one, even if you go for a used one or 2DS. Regular 3DS XLs go for super cheap on Craigslist these days and they are a perfectly great way to experience the 3DS library.

AdanVC

I think it`s odd that Nintendo want to release this device in the middle of the XBO/PS4 generation. How do they expect third party developers to treat the NX? That they`ll release multi platform games on it, just like they do on XBO and PS4? If yes, how will that even be a success? This generation already have their fan base established.

Yeah. Nintendo next year will face probably their biggest challenge ever since the NES. The challenge of convince the masses that they still got it and that their new system(s) are worthy to purchase even if you already have other consoles such as X1 and PS4. It's going to be REALLY difficult to achieve that. The masses are more than comfortable with their X1 and PS4s right now and probably most of them don't have any plans to get a new system anytime soon...

Gamezone

Gold Member
Yeah. Nintendo next year will face probably their biggest challenge ever since the NES. The challenge of convince the masses that they still got it and that their new system(s) are worthy to purchase even if you already have other consoles such as X1 and PS4. It's going to be REALLY difficult to achieve that. The masses are more than comfortable with their X1 and PS4s right now and probably most of them don't have any plans to get a new system anytime soon...

Yeah. They should just wait for Sony and Microsoft to release their next systems and try their luck then. Otherwise people won`t buy this, unless they are really into Nintendo first party games.

Koozek

Yall are gonna keep saying its not a hybrid until its a hybrid
Nah, ya'll keep saying it's a hybrid, which makes absolutly no sense if you've been following Nintendo's recent remarks about wanting an unified development process for different form factors similar to iOS/Android.

Nobody knows of anything regarding handheld/home console interconnectivity on NX.

With that said, skipping the 3DS seems like a misstep. Even if NX handheld comes out next year, it will take years to amass a library as great as the 3DS. Probably still worth getting one, even if you go for a used one or 2DS. Regular 3DS XLs go for super cheap on Craigslist these days and they are a perfectly great way to experience the 3DS library.

Hmmm, I see what you are saying. I dunno, I don't like making decisions like these. Would be interesting if it plays 3ds games.....

4Tran

I don't think that the next year is going to be that important. The Wii U sold well in November-December 2012 because there's a decently sized fanbase willing to buy at the get go. However, their sales dried up by January 2013, and they've been terrible since then. If the NX follows the same pattern, we won't know if the home console will be successful until a few months into its life cycle. We should know for sure by summer 2017 though.

sörine

Banned
Why would we see good pricing when all competition is eliminated and there is no threat of used games?
Fear of reprisal from retail is often cited as a reason for high digital pricepoints on consoles (look what happened to PSP Go). With gaming platforms that have little to no physical retail game presence (PC, Android, iOS, etc) we see much lower prices and price flexibility.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
What if the card is basically a license key, and you have to download anyway?

Data caps and ultraslow connections in some wealthy regions Nintendo heavily markets to like parts of the US, and many, many people in Canada and Australia would make that tough I think.

It's interesting though because it keeps traditional game ownership still.

That's still better than the original Xbox One idea because although Nintendo won't keep their download servers up forever, the key could be easily transferable ala how Xbox One and PlayStation 4 operate now, with the game fully installed to the HDD from the disc initially and the Blu-ray just acting like a licence from then on. However, those almost always have the full game on the disc (Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 5 and a TellTale season pass disc or two being the outlier) and just a relatively small patch afterwards. Even a 3 GB patch is nothing compared to say a 45 GB download for the game.

I think you might have figured it out, cause I don't see who is going to pay for ultra-large game cards when we even had the Japanese voice track removed in Xenoblade Chronicles 3D, probably to fit on a 4GB card.

Nah, ya'll keep saying it's a hybrid, which makes absolutly no sense if you've been following Nintendo's recent remarks about wanting an unified development process for different form factors similar to iOS/Android.
I have been keeping up. I just think they are gonna go back on their word. I really dont care what happens Im day 1ing regardless this speculation

Anth0ny

they're pretty much screwed no matter what. that's what happens after you release a flop like the wii u. unless a miracle happens and you are able to produce something like the wii, you face the situation nintendo currently faces.

they gotta start somewhere. release a third party friendly box halfway through the current gen, and maybe when PS5/XBtwo drop, Nintendo isn't completely left in the dust like they have been in the past.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
The Macronix mention combined with the lack of Panasonic may just be for the handheld unit, but if not I have no idea who is going to foot the bill for 32 GB cards like that one writer's (Emily Rogers) proposed XCX port, or what Lego City Undercover would have required. Interesting if this is the default media for both. Those are just hypotheticals but what happens to big games like those 2 would have been had they been on NX and not on Wii U? Does this kill 3rd party support before it appears?

If there's going to be home console and handheld console versions of the NX and they'll both use the same OS and have similar enough architecture to play the same games, it makes sense that they'd each be able to accept the same game media. That way, consumers only need to buy one copy of a game and they'll be able to play it on whichever version of the NX hardware they own (or both of them, if they own both).

Since it's hard to fit a non-mini disc into a handheld, both versions of the NX probably will use glorified SD cards like the DS and 3DS have used.

Ponn

Banned

errrr.....how exactly does that make a hybrid console make no sense? It actually does the opposite.

KingJ2002

Average consumer doesn't watch the Directs nor do they know what they are.

A Nintendo Direct w/ scheduled press releases to Major news outlets would be sufficient... but if Nintendo wants to make a big splash then a stage showing would do it.

they're pretty much screwed no matter what. that's what happens after you release a flop like the wii u. unless a miracle happens and you are able to produce something like the wii, you face the situation nintendo currently faces.

they gotta start somewhere. release a third party friendly box halfway through the current gen, and maybe when PS5/XBtwo drop, Nintendo isn't completely left in the dust like they have been in the past.

Nintendo has more going for themselves than you may think.

+ Nintendo systems still have the reputation of being consoles for families... and considering how fast the Wii U was flying off the shelf black friday... for a dead console it says a lot about Nintendo's brand.

+ The Japanese console market is in bad shape. Konami & Sega... companies that helped build the home market are moving to mobile because of the trends they see in Japan. Sony abandoned the vita and Microsoft's lumia devices are a non-factor... the iPhone and Android devices are dominant but there's a huge void for a dedicated handheld device that should be filled by the NX.

I agree that the western markets will be harder to crack but if the rumors are true then this device could be very disruptive. There are many homes that have yet to upgrade from their xbox 360 / ps3 / wii's from last gen... if Nintendo can convince them to do so... in addition to getting current gen owners to switch or be a dual console owner. Then they may reach their targets far sooner than people expect.

boiled goose

good with gravy
What they. Need is a unified os, account, services platform.

Relevant games and apps can be released on handheld, tv box, home console, and even mobile through this platform.

Do this and im in.

Fail and nx will be another wiiu.

tronic307

Since the console and handheld are purported to share the same media, they'll likely sell for ~$60, thus offsetting the cost for ROM carts. I wouldn't expect the games to be exactly the same experience, however. They'd presumably share the same asset pool and general plot-line, but there may be divergent paths through the game world for each. You'd have to play through the game on both units to get the full experience. So, like two games in one, sold to a larger install base.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Since it's hard to fit a non-mini disc into a handheld, both versions of the NX probably will use glorified SD cards like the DS and 3DS have used.

Actually, Nintendo uses (a special kind of) ROM chip, they're not glorified SD cards.

Since the console and handheld are purported to share the same media, they'll likely sell for ~$60, thus offsetting the cost for ROM carts.

That eats into Nintendo's profits. 3DS cards most likely being more expensive than Wii U discs probably already does that, and it would be the first time they did that for a console where they could use cheap media since N64.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Personally I'd love for Nintendo to have one last Wii U holiday season with a Spring 2017 release for the NX, similar to the 3DS' release timetable, but I guess it all depends on whether or not they have the software prepped and ready to go.

Koozek

errrr.....how exactly does that make a hybrid console make no sense? It actually does the opposite.

Hybrid means console and handheld in ONE single device, which would be a terrible compromise. It would be too bulky, expensive and power-hungry for a handheld and too weak for a console. With a unified platform/OS for different form factors they could have handheld games run on the console and vice-versa in many cases.

NES wasn't a challenge.

If this thing doesn't sell for $300 (at maximum, $250 would be preferable), have ample third party support (Moneyhat like a motherfucker, Nintendo), and a new Mario, Metroid, and Zelda at launch, it's going to flop. Hard.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I think $300 for a PS4-level piece of hardware will be feasible. That's probably going to be the regular price of the PS4 by November 2016, and it's the price it's selling for right now for Black Friday-Cyber Monday, so why wouldn't Nintendo be able to manufacture such a thing for $300 next year?

They got to have a physical presentation at E3 2016. Just a Nintendo Direct will be a recipe for failure

Nah. Major announcements in a Direct will be picked up by news outlets, both mainstream and enthusiast.

atbigelow

Average consumer doesn't watch the Directs nor do they know what they are.
Average consumer doesn't tune into E3 vids.

Nintendo needs a multi-prong approach to get this thing announced. They can easily do a prerecorded video that is broadcast at a set date (Nintendo Direct) and have press somewhere on-hand for impressions. They actually do that all the time and it works fine.

They need that hype train before it. Announce it a few weeks in advance and start teasing. Internet loves teasing.

Iced Arcade

Could be a smart thing.

- release higher end specs than the X1/PS4 (wouldn't take much)... today people go crazy for what has the best spec numbers on paper vs anything.

- X86 machine so it's easy for third party to include the machine into the other console development.

- launch with a new zelda, a new metroid within the first few months and a new Mario title that holiday season.

- if it was indeed more powerful console players will flock to it and it would be way way to early for Song and MS to compete with releasing the next PS/XBOX.

Ponn

Banned
Hybrid means console and handheld in ONE single device, which would be a terrible compromise. It would be too bulky, expensive and power-hungry for a handheld and too weak for a console. With a unified platform/OS for different form factors they could have handheld games run on the console and vice-versa in many cases.

When people talk about a hybrid console it doesnt mean a single piece of equipment. The Wii U for example isnt a single piece of equipment. When most people talk about the NX being a hybrid its in the sense you have a base console to "dock" with and the controller being portable. Think Wii U but instead of the tablet something more akin to a 3DS or Vita.

Top Bottom