• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DirectX 12 GPU exclusive features to be shown/announced at GDC

DX12 will combine both NVidia and ATI acrds and it was confirmed not just a rumour. Well now you can even stack memory by putting two cards in SLI or Crossfire (should be called sth else now you can use both cards, let's say SLIfire lol).
"For the first time, it will also mean that multiple GPUs can pool their memory. In theory, this means that installing two 2GB GPUs into a system will get the end user a useable 4GB of memory, unlike the current system, which would only give a user 2GB of memory."

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/directx-12-can-combine-nvidia-and-amd-cards/1100-6425565/

http://www.tomshardware.com/print/microsoft-directx12-amd-nvidia,news-28606.html

I hope one day the war is over between both manufacturers and we can enjoy both cards on same PC !

Durante

DX12 will not combine anything. Not memory pools, and not graphics cards.

Seriously, people should be more careful about how they interpret what they read. DX12 will enable developers to do all kinds of things. But that's only if they are actually done. And done well. For each game.

Seriously, people should be more careful about how they interpret what they read. DX12 will enable developers to do all kinds of things. But that's only if they are actually done. And done well. For each game.

Yep. It's basically another way of saying developers have direct access to how memory is managed, tasks are scheduled on GPUs, etc.

Did you read the links I posted? I really don't know why would they be lying then.

Did you read the links I posted?

I'd have to assume he did. All it's saying is DirectX 12 allows the developer to control the rendering pipeline, GPU scheduling, and memory. Before SLI and Cross-fire worked through AFR always because that is what the driver decided. Now, developers get control over how rendering and GPU scheduling works which allows them to use memory on each GPU independently if they want.

Of course, that means it's up to the individual developer for the individual game to program. I'm sure at some point engines will have SFR builtin but that's a ways out. Either way, it's not DirectX 12, it's the developer taking advantage of DirectX 12's more direct access to hardware.

Yeah, the api will allow low level access to the hardware, but that won't mean a lot in 90% of the games. Hell, I predict lots of games won't optimize as much as it's possible in dx12,it will be too much for some developers and others won't consider it feasible economically, so forget someone supporting mixed configurations.

I'd have to assume he did. All it's saying is DirectX 12 allows the developer to control the rendering pipeline, GPU scheduling, and memory. Before SLI and Cross-fire worked through AFR always because that is what the driver decided. Now, developers get control over how rendering and GPU scheduling works which allows them to use memory on each GPU independently if they want.

Of course, that means it's up to the individual developer for the individual game to program. I'm sure at some point engines will have SFR builtin but that's a ways out. Either way, it's not DirectX 12, it's the developer taking advantage of DirectX 12's more direct access to hardware.

Oh I see, so Tomshardware got confused about the possible shifting from AFR to SFAR (or lets' call it the coming back to SFR) with stacking memories from both cards right? If so I don't think all devs will optimize their games to work with SFR since not all people own two cards and their games aren't based on multiple GPUs from scratch to start with. I really don't know tomshardware and many otehr sites make such errors and confusions if this is true.

Oh I see, so Tomshardware got confused about the possible shifting from AFR to SFAR (or lets' call it the coming back to SFR) with stacking memories from both cards right? If so I don't think all devs will optimize their games to work with SFR since not all people own two cards and their games aren't based on multiple GPUs from scratch to start with. I really don't know tomshardware and many otehr sites make such errors and confusions if this is true.

pretty much. All it means is devs can do it if they want, and some engines may even be written to take advantage of it. Just don't expect in most games as it's certainly not automatic.

JaggedSac

Yeah, the api will allow low level access to the hardware, but that won't mean a lot in 90% of the games. Hell, I predict lots of games won't optimize as much as it's possible in dx12,it will be too much for some developers and others won't consider it feasible economically, so forget someone supporting mixed configurations.

That's why there are engines out there for devs to use for a fee. I would expect Unity and UE to have a lot of this stuff ready by DX release.

People want to believe fantastical shit they read on the internet.

Chobel

Who actually use 2 different GPUs from 2 different manufacturers? And why would anyone even consider doing that?

tuxfool

Banned
Who actually use 2 different GPUs from 2 different manufacturers? And why would anyone even consider doing that?

I had an older Nvidia card that I wanted to use with physx from time to time. Obviously Nvidia wasn't having any of that.

Provided somebody does that well, I could see the same thing done with compute (essentially the same thing as physx).

dr_rus

Someone who wants to enjoy Mantle, TressFX etc and Nvidia gameworks and other stuff without switiching to another PC?

Again: you can "enjoy" TressFX on an NVIDIA card just fine and there is zero reason to do anything with Mantle once DX12 and GLnext will be released.

If an AMD card user want to use NV's card features then why did he buy AMD card in the first place? Such configurations will be so rare that no one will ever code anything but small testing / POC utilities for them.

IceIpor

Just a reminder. It's not that clearcut that DX12 will take off.

It all depends on Windows 10's adoption rate. Otherwise, DX9 and maybe DX11 will continue to be the defacto standard for PCs for a couple of more years.

Even then, it felt like forever since developers actually started releasing DX11 games.

Ionic

Someone who wants to enjoy Mantle, TressFX etc and Nvidia gameworks and other stuff without switiching to another PC?

I really miss the days of being able to do PhysX on my 8800GT while I rendered the game with an HD5870. I played with those plastic tarps in Mirror's Edge a ton. Too bad Nvidia decided to start being dorks about it.

I'd hope DX12 sees decent adoption rate since developpers have been asking for it. The demand is there.

UE4 will support DX12, in fact any dev can apply to get. Epic just told people making games using UE4 to bring their games projects in a hard drive so Epic could render their games in DX12 for them ! Sounds cool !

IceIpor

Demand from developers doesn't mean demand from customers though.

For all we know, Windows 10 could be another Vista scenario. That definitely put a dent in DX10 development.

Kezen

Banned
One will lead to the other. Better looking/performing DX12 games will drive Windows 10 sales.

For all we know, Windows 10 could be another Vista scenario. That definitely put a dent in DX10 development.
There is just one tiny detail you seem to forget : DX10 was a failure that many saw coming miles away. DX12 is shaping up (in fact we already have benchmarks) to be one hell of an API. The major stride the dev community has been waiting for.

DX12 is just too good to fail hence why MS believe they can get away with it being W10 exclusive.

Rootbeer

Banned
Looking forward to it. I resisted the urge to get a 970 and it has paid off. Been too busy playing my PS4 and 3DS to delve too deeply into PC this past year. But... I know that going forward, with the Oculus Rift and all the new excitement it will bring to PCs, I need a cutting edge GPU and DX12 has some exciting stuff being discussed.

Hoping to build a new PC this year!

Windows 10 is a free upgrade for the first year. It's not gonna be another Vista scenario.

IceIpor

One will lead to the other. Better looking/performing DX12 games will drive Windows 10 sales.

There is just one tiny detail you seem to forget : DX10 was a failure that many saw coming miles away. DX12 is shaping up (in fact we already have benchmarks) to be one hell of an API. The major stride the dev community has been waiting for.

DX12 is just too good to fail hence why MS believe they can get away with it being W10 exclusive.
Right... Like how Windows 8 became widely adopted, and hence why they got DX 11.1/11.2 exclusive.
More like MS is playing a gamble that may or may not pay off.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love if it succeeds since I plan on upgrading to Windows 10 anyway. But right now I'm iffy about any promises of the future from tech companies.
Maybe if the Xbox One was doing gangbusters in sales, I would feel more confident with MS.
Windows 10 is a free upgrade for the first year. It's not gonna be another Vista scenario.
I'd like to believe that but 8 was pretty cheap as well, but Metro killed it.

Kayant

DX12 will combine both NVidia and ATI acrds and it was confirmed not just a rumour. Well now you can even stack memory by putting two cards in SLI or Crossfire (should be called sth else now you can use both cards, let's say SLIfire lol).
"For the first time, it will also mean that multiple GPUs can pool their memory. In theory, this means that installing two 2GB GPUs into a system will get the end user a useable 4GB of memory, unlike the current system, which would only give a user 2GB of memory."

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/directx-12-can-combine-nvidia-and-amd-cards/1100-6425565/

http://www.tomshardware.com/print/microsoft-directx12-amd-nvidia,news-28606.html

I hope one day the war is over between both manufacturers and we can enjoy both cards on same PC !

You apparently don't know what confirmed means because a gamespot source commenting on a rumour is not confirming anything.

DX12 already has over 100 games in dev according to MS. I would not worry too much about adoption rate.

Really... Damn am surprising it's that many already that definitely bodes well for adoption.

tuxfool

Banned
Again: you can "enjoy" TressFX on an NVIDIA card just fine and there is zero reason to do anything with Mantle once DX12 and GLnext will be released.

If an AMD card user want to use NV's card features then why did he buy AMD card in the first place? Such configurations will be so rare that no one will ever code anything but small testing / POC utilities for them.

As I said above you could use heterogeneous card setup (both in power or manufacturer) in order to do compute tasks such as physics (notably something nvidia already permited with physx)

JaggedSac

I had an older Nvidia card that I wanted to use with physx from time to time. Obviously Nvidia wasn't having any of that.

Provided somebody does that well, I could see the same thing done with compute (essentially the same thing as physx).

Perhaps when upgrading? Not being locked in to your current card manufacturer would open options.

tuxfool

Banned
I'd like to believe that but 8 was pretty cheap as well, but Metro killed it.

What do mean you'd like to believe that? Windows 10 *will* be free.

Additionally they are rolling back on Desktop Metro so there should be plenty to like from just about anyone. It also follows the good-bad windows cycle (for those that are into such theories).

What do mean you'd like to believe that? Windows 10 *will* be free.

I think he is saying "he would like to believe that windows 10 being free means it will be a success". As IceIpor Win8 was sold dirt cheap, hell it was £15 I think and that didn't do much for uptake. I personally have doubts myself that Win10 will do well. I don't really have plans to move up to it. I haven't been impressed with anything I have seen so far with Win10. But time will tell.

As for Dx12 I am not going to poopoo advances to the API anything that improves PC gaming is to be encouraged but the fate of Dx12 lies with the uptake of Win10. If Win10 dies then we are gonna be stuck with Dx10/11 for a long long time probably as long as we were stuck with Dx9.

tuxfool

Banned
As for Dx12 I am not going to poopoo advances to the API anything that improves PC gaming is to be encouraged but the fate of Dx12 lies with the uptake of Win10. If Win10 dies then we are gonna be stuck with Dx10/11 for a long long time probably as long as we were stuck with Dx9.

And whose fault is that? You said you weren't planning to move even if it is offered for free.

And whose fault is that? You said you weren't planning to move even if it is offered for free.

Erm it's Microsofts fault for not delivering a product I want or that the majority of consumers want. Just because something is "free" doesn't mean I should automatically embrace it. Is Dx12 looking good ? well from what I have seen and heard yeah. However I do more on my PC other than play games and so far from what i have seen of Win10 there is nothing in it outside of Dx12 that I find compelling even if they are giving that shit away for free.

tuxfool

Banned
Erm it's Microsofts fault for not delivering a product I want or that the majority of consumers want. Just because something is "free" doesn't mean I should automatically embrace it. Is Dx12 looking good ? well from what I have seen and heard yeah. However I do more on my PC other than play games and so far from what i have seen of Win10 there is nothing in it outside of Dx12 that I find compelling even if they are giving that shit away for free.

I find it amusing that Apple manages to get people to upgrade OSX with such ease even when the next version is just fixing bugs (and this was still when they charged for it). MS can't get buy-in even when offering the upgrade for free.

I'd imagine that as W10 is free for 7/8 users in the first year, you'll see a very quick drop off in MS support for both to encourage the switch.

dr_rus

As I said above you could use heterogeneous card setup (both in power or manufacturer) in order to do compute tasks such as physics (notably something nvidia already permited with physx)
Why not do this with two equal cards? So, you know, use them everywhere and not just in those two games which will be able to use a heterogeneous setup.

I'll repeat: such cases will be so rare that no one will ever code for them.

ZJAxfeJ.jpg

from reddit
http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/2ximkg/a_quick_image_at_what_dx12_is_supposed_to_do_to/

It still boggles my mind that this is a thing. We have had multi-core CPU and GPU's for nearly a decade now. It's great that finally with Dx12 Microsoft is addressing this issue but in reality this is what Dx10 should have been tackling unless there is some super serious technical reason why Microsoft couldn't have sorted out this huge bottleneck before now.

It still boggles my mind that this is a thing. We have had multi-core CPU and GPU's for nearly a decade now. It's great that finally with Dx12 Microsoft is addressing this issue but in reality this is what Dx10 should have been tackling unless there is some super serious technical reason why Microsoft couldn't have sorted out this huge bottleneck before now.

It seems we have been scammed all this time before lol !

Top Bottom