• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disc rot and the Wii U

For the people supporting physical, go ahead. There's pros and cons to physical and digital.

But one negative point to physical is all the clutter of consoles and potential of broken hardware or media. Why not buy those games as BC on modern consoles or if it's available for Steam download if you enjoy them that much?
There's just something about it. Sometimes I will buy modern ports also, but there's something about having the item in hand to hold, covet, think about, look at, play with that original experience, whatever it may be at that time.

That aside, as best I know there's no disc rot problems in my collection all the way back to Sega CD for now.

consoul

This doesn't sound like disc rot.

As one of GAF's laserdisc aficionados, I know disc rot very well. What's being described with regard to WiiU discs seems to be something else.

If you're holding your WiiU disc up to a strong light and can see spots shining through:

a) don't.
b) that indicates the screen printed label paint has come off where the spot is.

Spots like that are just missing paint, not disc rot/bit rot. They could however lead to the laser struggling to read the data beneath that point as it would be less reflective. If you have a problem with an unscratched WiiU disc reading and it has a spot, maybe try applying something like an opaque nail varnish to the label side over the spot.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
I'm in the process now. It sucks that the exposure that many of the best ROM sites have received (due to iPhone allowing emulation) have resulted in the most reliable ROM sites to purge much of its content. Now I'll have to wade through the malware and pop-up ladden sites and torrents that are left, to find backups.

Edit: is the discussion of legitimate backups, of discs you own, against the rules here?

Or just go to a certain, err, archive of the organizational kind?

Haven't used torrents or whatever in ages for emulation needs.

DaGwaphics

Hmm. I never realized that the disc rot thing was much of a problem for professionally cast discs. I always thought that was more of a R/RW thing. The more you know.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Does the accelerated disc rot have anything to do with the discs themselves? Wii U discs had those unusual, yet extremely sexy buttery smooth edges. Ive never seen any blu ray, dvd, music CD or game disc that feels like a Wii U disc.

Shake Your Rump

Gold Member
So after years of procuring a few select Wii U games from flea markets and thrift stores, I finally made the leap and got me a Wii U for Father's Day. I cannot put into words the disappointment I have felt since yesterday afternoon. Nintendoland, Super Smash, Mario Maker, Super Mario U all appear to be in good to excellent condition, but give me a "invalid disc" notification when inserted into the console.

So of course something is wrong with the Wii U... right? I thought so and I contacted the seller. He was gracious enough to allow me to exchange.... same behavior. I found it odd that both these Wii U's would read all my 'Wii" games and Hyrule Warrior Wii U, so I dug a little deeper. It appears that Wii U disc's suffer from accelerated disc rot 😪. When you hold these disc's up to a bright light, you can numerous "pin holes" of light that pass through. Every disc I own (besides Hyrule Warriors) exhibits this defect.

I have come across a competing explanation that states these are manufacturing defects, but it does not seem probable that 4 out of 5 discs would have a defect of this nature. It greatly lowers my confidence that my disc based game collection will age with me gracefully through the years and has greatly motivated me to procure digital backups of my library. Has anyone else had this issue? I have disassembled and cleaned my lens with no beneficial effects, has anyone else solved this problem for themselves? Is this our physical future?
Have you or the sellers been storing these games in sleeves? I had this happen to many audio CDs due to being stored in a CD wallet.

Regardless, I suspect that it is something about your method of storage, or maybe your region's climate, or something of that nature. I have hundreds of audio, video, and game discs of various manufacture going back 40 years. Pinholes are exceedingly rare, and I have only seen them on discs that have been stored improperly.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Have you or the sellers been storing these games in sleeves? I had this happen to many audio CDs due to being stored in a CD wallet.

Regardless, I suspect that it is something about your method of storage, or maybe your region's climate, or something of that nature. I have hundreds of audio, video, and game discs of various manufacture going back 40 years. Pinholes are exceedingly rare, and I have only seen them on discs that have been stored improperly.
They are all in original boxes. You can find many stories of Wii U disc owners reporting this issue while claiming their discs have been sitting on a shelf in original packaging. You also see many Wii U owners complain that their disc reader is bad. One can extrapolate and assume that many of these users may be dealing with bad discs and assuming (incorrectly) that it is their disc reader (this is what happened to me as I described in my original post.)

Does the accelerated disc rot have anything to do with the discs themselves? Wii U discs had those unusual, yet extremely sexy buttery smooth edges. Ive never seen any blu ray, dvd, music CD or game disc that feels like a Wii U disc.
For Wii U disc's specifically, it seems as if it is the materials chosen by Nintendo. Either a corner was cut or a novel material was used without the foresight/knowledge that it wouldn't hold up over time.

Last edited:
Quickly checked my Wii U games, 4 of them have a single spot close to the center of the disc. Not sure if this is an issue yet or not considering their location.

Concerning SEGA-CD and Saturn (US), I have always been wary of the foam insert. These things are abrasive. I never let them inside the case.
I have 12 games and four had a tiny pinhole on the inner section that doesn't have data on it. Last time I launched them all, they all worked. If they turn out bad I guess I'll just mod the console.

Killer8

Wii U seems like a doomed console - much moreso than other retro machines. Low-ish console circulation, with NAND rot rending a ton of those useless already, a controller that is hard to repair if it breaks, and now disc rot on top of that.

ZoukGalaxy

Disc rot is a CD/DVD plague (which depends also of storage condition), pressed BLURAYs are IMMUNE to this chemical phenomenon because their are fundamentally build differently.
So, don't worry anymore: PS3/PS4/XBOX ONE generation and beyond will not suffer from this sad problem (including PS3 bluray discs also, but sadly excluding XBOX 360 since they are DVDs).
The good news is that you can mod easily every gen using DVD drives and affected by this plague and find backup of your disc online since they are relatively "small" in size (<8.5GB max per disc) compared to current games with insane size (I'm promoting piracy, just giving information).
You can learn more with a google search.

Hope it helps and reassure you a little.
In Love Cat GIF

Last edited:
only had one wii u disc (from ebay) that gave me trouble, clay kirby. then one day, it started working 100% and has been fine since.
thought it couldve been a laser issue, but all my other games never had an issue. weird.
“Physical forever!!”

Ask all the people with physical PC games with SecuROM or other anti-piracy measures that can’t be activated anymore.
it's a PC game. if you cant get around it, maybe stick to consoles.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
There's just something about it. Sometimes I will buy modern ports also, but there's something about having the item in hand to hold, covet, think about, look at, play with that original experience, whatever it may be at that time.

That aside, as best I know there's no disc rot problems in my collection all the way back to Sega CD for now.
Like a lot of people I got tons of music CDs going back to the early/mid 90s. I wonder how many still work. lol

nkarafo

Anything physical deteriorates. And the vast majority of digital media has DRM, which means you are not meant to have control over them.

The only way for media/games to last forever is portable digital files and installers that have no DRM. Your mp3s, flacs, mkvs, your GoG installers, your cracked software/games, etc. If you have at least a second backup of those files on a separate device (and you move them to newer storage media as time goes by) and maybe an additional backup to the cloud to mix things up, they are safe. As long as there is always a device/OS/program/emulator that can those files in the future ofc.

DryvBy

“Physical forever!!”

Ask all the people with physical PC games with SecuROM or other anti-piracy measures that can’t be activated anymore.
That stuff is in digital content too. And then there's just cracks to fix the rest of it. Red Alert 3 on PC was one you couldn't get around back in the day and now it's fine. I also have game discs from early 90s and work just fine.

And bro, your digital library is subject to the best kind of anti-privacy measures. By default, DRM is always on. There's games that you can buy digital that you have to do a bunch of work arounds to get to even operate correctly on digital thanks to the devs disabling features, such as Dungeon Siege II. Fallout on PC is the UK censored edition on GOG and Steam. On glorious physical, I can load it up and be Anakin on the young ones if I want.

phant0m

That stuff is in digital content too. And then there's just cracks to fix the rest of it. Red Alert 3 on PC was one you couldn't get around back in the day and now it's fine. I also have game discs from early 90s and work just fine.

And bro, your digital library is subject to the best kind of anti-privacy measures. By default, DRM is always on. There's games that you can buy digital that you have to do a bunch of work arounds to get to even operate correctly on digital thanks to the devs disabling features, such as Dungeon Siege II. Fallout on PC is the UK censored edition on GOG and Steam. On glorious physical, I can load it up and be Anakin on the young ones if I want.
My Steam library has been infinitely more accessible and useable 20 years on than any physical game has been.

MarkMe2525

My Steam library has been infinitely more accessible and useable 20 years on than any physical game has been.
The idea that physical is superior to digital, in accessibility, is rooted purely in "feelings" and not objective truth. In 100 years, people will still have access to digital copies of every NES game ever created. True preservation is digital preservation.

LRKD

I've literally never had a single one of my discs rot in over 20 years. Maybe wii u is more prone to it due to a factory issue, but I've never had one of them rot yet either. Not something I am concerned about, everything physical will wear down sooner or later, but as long as you take good care of it chances are it'll out live ya. And if it doesn't oh well, I still enjoyed having it physically, and I can probably emulate it, or even run it pirated on it's original hardware for most games I care about.

Top Bottom