• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney’s Bob Iger shares new details on streaming services

Snaku

Banned
It's Disney though.

But it's not their sole stream of revenue. If Netflix thought they could get away with $20 a month they'd do it in a heart beat. Disney is a multifaceted company, and their media arm is only a small part that basically serves as advertising. Keeping the price low retains subscribers who's kids will want Disney clothes, toys, video games, and will want to see the newest films in theaters and go to the theme parks.

bigkrev

How on earth are they going to add 10,000 extra games to ESPN? NFL has it's deals, NBA/NHL/MLB have national deals, and (more importantly) local TV deals, EPL, La Liga and Bundasliga all have comprehensive TV deals, NBC has Olympics, ect

College Football and Basketball are things, but not only are their already National contracts for the biggest things like the NCAA Tournament.

I don't see how they can be building a service for America if the new content is all going to be stuff like the KHL, lesser known Soccer (African and Asian leagues?), College Gymnastics, and Minor League Baseball.

It's Disney though.

Yes, which means they aren't stupid

The days of 1 service are long gone. If you want one service, get TV again.

Also, I started using the new Disney NOW Roku app and I don't like it so far. It aggregates all their other apps, Disney Junior, etc.. into one. Its slow

I should have said 1 or 2; like Netflix and Prime, or Hulu and Netflix normally will have you pretty covered. But yeah, I went back to cable. Less of a hassle.

Of course, I could pirate ANYTHING like back in my college days but I'm trying to do the right thing and be a good standing citizen. I wouldn't steal a car.

I've used it too and yes, it does suck. My 2.5 yo daughter has the patience of a 2.5 year old!

Factoring in the price of internet itself is nonsense thinking because the average person will always pay that base $70 even with cable... Because you aren't not going to have internet.

I don't see how it's nonsense. You can have cable without internet. If you want to cut the cord, you have to have have a connection.

In my case, before I cut off cable, I had a package deal for $100. It included home phone, cable with HD DVR, and 50 down. After a year, I had to pay around $160 for everything so I cut off the cable and the phone leaving me with 70 bucks a month for the same speed. Add in Netflix ($10), Hulu (~$12), PSVUE ($35) and a few other services and you might as well just get cable back.

You have to include the price of the internet. It's not like I pay that bill with goodwill.

jts

...hate me...
Ok then. Good luck with that!
Netflix should do the same if they want their original movies to be taken seriously. No movie worth its salt should skip a theatrical release, and being simultaneously on streaming would only hurt its success (via legal streamers and high quality piracy).

So what if there's a 6-12 months gap between theatrical release and being available to stream. It can ensure higher quality movies and they will end up releasing at about the same pace anyway.

Netflix should do the same if they want their original movies to be taken seriously. No movie worth its salt should skip a theatrical release, and being simultaneously on streaming would only hurt its success (via legal streamers and high quality piracy).

So what if there's a 6-12 months gap between theatrical release and being available to stream. It can ensure higher quality movies and they will end up releasing at about the same pace anyway.

At least give it 2-3 months in theaters. It just makes more sense financially.

Then put it on Netflix.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Give me Tron 3 and I'm in, Disney. But that's the only way I'll ever sign up for this garbage.

Azriell

If they offered all the Disney shows from over the years and a good selection of movies for $10ish/month, I would probably get it. We cut cable a few years ago, and the kids have mostly worn out Netflix.

Personally, I'd rather see Disney partner with Netflix and offer their collection via an optional tier of $5-6 extra a month. They could pay Netflix a buck or 2 per sub to have access to the tens of millions of people who already sub to Netflix. I have to assume people are more likely to pay extra to get a better Netflix than they are to pay for a whole other streaming service.

I don't see how it's nonsense. You can have cable without internet. If you want to cut the cord, you have to have have a connection.

In my case, before I cut off cable, I had a package deal for $100. It included home phone, cable with HD DVR, and 50 down. After a year, I had to pay around $160 for everything so I cut off the cable and the phone leaving me with 70 bucks a month for the same speed. Add in Netflix ($10), Hulu (~$12), PSVUE ($35) and a few other services and you might as well just get cable back.

You have to include the price of the internet. It's not like I pay that bill with goodwill.

Who the hell would cut internet out and only have cable TV?

Next to no one.

The base price is not Internet + sevices, it's just the services because the average family is going to have internet + Cable anyway.

Zubz

Banned
I refuse to get any service other than Netflix. It doesn't matter how many shows & movies go to Hulu or will go to this. I only want to pay for one service, & Netflix is the only one that offers It's Always Sunny. I sometimes go weeks without watching Netflix, not even making it the $8 I paid; why would I want to pay $30 to throw in Hulu & this Disney thing ($40 if we throw in VRV) if I'm not always getting enough out of the $8?

At least give it 2-3 months in theaters. It just makes more sense financially.

Then put it on Netflix.

I like the sound of that, honestly.

It's Disney though.

I'll just get a blu-ray of disney/pixar movie, rip it, add it to the HTPC, and be done with it. I'm not going to mess around with my kids movies/shows, hell he even wants the soundtracks.

But considering I have three streaming services (1 for the kid - amazon, 1 for the wife and I - Netflix streaming and Blu-ray, and 1 for me NHL.tv) I don't need another subscription, and no, besides my kids AAC device (iPad) I won't pay into the Apple ecosystem.

But good on Disney going to streaming, more companies need to do this, it will change the game for ISPs and it's consumers. Good or bad, we don't know yet.

Like I said before, this could potentially be one of the best streaming services out there. Disney has a boat load of back catalogue it could bring to it.

BUT I see Disney being stingy with it and possibly rotating content in and out of it to drive DVD sales.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I'll just get a blu-ray of disney/pixar movie, rip it, add it to the HTPC, and be done with it

I would pay $10-15/month to never have to do any of that. I tried that around 1-2 years ago and it lasted for about 3 discs and I said "fuck that shit".

Like I said before, this could potentially be one of the best streaming services out there. Disney has a boat load of back catalogue it could bring to it.

BUT I see Disney being stingy with it and possibly rotating content in and out of it to drive DVD sales.

you aren't understanding Disney's motives here. they want the exact opposite. physical sales have been dropping off a cliff for years. They ultimately want their service to be Netflix.. i.e. that $10-15/month charge that you say "I have to keep that. I can't rotate that service out."

That was the point of the article. Disney realizes that cable tv and physical sales are rapidly on their way out.

ApharmdX

Banned

Yeah, this is where I land as well. If Disney puts all of their back catalog of films and shows on it, this is probably a must-have for me since my kids will love it. If they are stingy and rotate out, then it's a definite pass.

Having ESPN as an a la carte option, if I'm reading that correctly, is absurd. Goodbye and good riddance to ESPN in that case.

kaiwing

People saying that there's no way they'd subscribe aren't seeing the breadth of material Disney has. If they decide to open their vaults and say " Here's a spot for you gen x kids to go to: Gargoyles, Gummy Bears, Darkwing Duck, Talespin, Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers, and Gravity Falls, Star, Star Wars Rebels for your kids. Tv shows? How's Hannah Montana, That's so Raven and the other live action shows. Cult hits like Recess? Why not?"
They'd easily get my $8 a month, $10 if they include their entire animated, Pixar, Marvel and Star Wars movie catalog.

you aren't understanding Disney's motives here. they want the exact opposite. physical sales have been dropping off a cliff for years. They ultimately want their service to be Netflix.. i.e. that $10-15/month charge that you say "I have to keep that. I can't rotate that service out."
You clearly don't understand Disney. They are like Nintendo. They view their content as premium stuff that they know people will pay good money for. They have treated their animated movies like this for decades with the Disney vault and are now treating more of their lives action movies the same.

You are assuming Disney will drop this mentality with it's streaming service but I have my doubts. I can totally see them rotating content in and out. If not for DVD sales, then to keep people clamoring for their content much like Nintendo. Of course this is speculation on both our parts so we'll just have wait and see.

Will sub permanently to Disney, they have a fuck ton of content that I’ll watch, and that’s before my soon to be children. If anything Netflix will be the one to go on a sub/unsub cycle, they really only have a few original series I care about, and their licensed content is dwindling by the day. Right now Hulu is by far the one I use the most, since they’re the service that’s still widely focused on licensing, while Netflix has become about equal to HBO in that I really only use it for a few original series and an occasional movie. After I ha e children and budget gets tighter, I can see myself with just Disney and maybe Hulu on lock, which everything else rotating.

yyr

Fuck off with that. I need one service not several thereby killing the reason why anyone would cut the cord in the first place.

No, this is what the cord-cutters want.

Why are they cutting the cord? Because they don't want the one-size-fits-all solution, they want to save money by choosing their entertainment a la carte. After all, folks have been requesting a la carte for cable for many, many years, but that is not how cable works.

Anyone who truly believed that they could have everything they wanted on Netflix is living in a dream world. Absolutely everything for ten bucks a month is not a sustainable business model.

Falchion

I hate how fragmented video streaming is getting. I wonder if Disney's service will be like $5 a month or just bundled with a ton of other services.

What the fuck is the point of owning all these different companies if you are just going to release separate streams for all of them. Fuck them for trying to wedge a cable model into streaming. I'll stick with the services that have the most options in one place, thanks.

If Disney merges ESPN, ABC, Marvel, Star Wars, etc etc, then I'll take a look.

Wouldn't the Cable Model actually being including all of it and then charging a lump sum?

The whole idea with streaming was that you finally get to break away from the ala carte and pay for the "specific" content you wanted?

jfkgoblue

Who the hell would cut internet out and only have cable TV?

Next to no one.

The base price is not Internet + sevices, it's just the services because the average family is going to have internet + Cable anyway.
I don’t think you are understanding what he is saying.

He’s saying that internet only was $70/month and then you add in all the streaming services he needed to supplant cable it ended being more than bundled internet and cable.

I don’t think you are understanding what he is saying.

He’s saying that internet only was $70/month and then you add in all the streaming services he needed to supplant cable it ended being more than bundled internet and cable.

Yeah I realize that now... but he did suggest you could have cable and no internet as a solution so I was confused

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I hate how fragmented video streaming is getting. I wonder if Disney's service will be like $5 a month or just bundled with a ton of other services.

There's no way Disney would value their service at half of what CBS values re-runs of Two and a Half Men and new episodes of Star Trek Discovery.

jfkgoblue

I tried cutting the cord for around a year, had Vue with HBO and by the end it was more expensive than cable for an inferior experience.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Disney kinda invented this idea with their premium cable channel back in the day, and I'm amazed it took them this long to get into the streaming business. I guess they were worried about their disc sales...though back then they were worried about their VHS sales being one of the first major distributors to go direct to consumer with VHS in a big way.

aadiboy

Don't you guys think it was a little naive to think that Netflix would become TV 2.0? Whether you like it or not, it just makes financial sense for every major media company to make their own streaming service.

Wouldn't the Cable Model actually being including all of it and then charging a lump sum?

The whole idea with streaming was that you finally get to break away from the ala carte and pay for the "specific" content you wanted?

Seriously, I don't get people.

Or, well, I don't get how people want everything to be all in one big cable-like package, but are under the delusion that if that were the case that they would be paying a low price for it.

There's no way Disney would value their service at half of what CBS values re-runs of Two and a Half Men and new episodes of Star Trek Discovery.

Half of Two and a Half Men?
So, would that be like One and a Quarter Men?

Zubz

Banned

There's no way they're not going to pull that.

Don't you guys think it was a little naive to think that Netflix would become TV 2.0? Whether you like it or not, it just makes financial sense for every major media company to make their own streaming service.

With enough people willing to bail on cable, people willing to bail on streaming services when they became even more expensive was always a possibility. But regardless of it making financial sense for the companies, we as the consumers are getting screwed. If Netflix had retained the rights to a lot of companies' work instead of financing their own series, they honestly might've been able to keep things centralized enough that it didn't spread out every show in a way that makes cable cheaper.

I will be lying if I said I wasn't interested. The content needs good, new, and exclusive and I hope they don't price themselves high or it'll be a dead service before it launches.

Man, I would love another Tron movie. Disney has so much content that they can use to make exclusive movies or series for this app they're scheming up.

With enough people willing to bail on cable, people willing to bail on streaming services when they became even more expensive was always a possibility. But regardless of it making financial sense for the companies, we as the consumers are getting screwed. If Netflix had retained the rights to a lot of companies' work instead of financing their own series, they honestly might've been able to keep things centralized enough that it didn't spread out every show in a way that makes cable cheaper.

Bail to what though?

I definitely agree that the way things are going, that it's inconvenient, but this is always what the end game of streaming was going to wind up like.

We're now in the gold-rush period where every company is going to try their hand at their own independent service. It's a bubble though, so it'll eventually pop.

Disney though definitely has enough content on their own to keep their stream service afloat.

Imagine if every Disney Blu-ray comes with a code for a free month of this service (not a trial, but an additional 30 days of the service no matter what). This would be on top of having the digital copy of the movie available on that service to play at anytime, whether the subscription is active or not.

Disney is the only company with the catalog to pull it off, and they’d probably enjoy a spike in Blu-ray sales.

Shauni

I thought people cut the cord to choose and pay for discrete services with the content they prefer a la carte, cancel and resub anytime, watch anywhere.

I think it becomes apparent when these topics come up that people had convinced themselves that with streaming and cable cutting we were heading for a future where you can just sub to Netflix and get everything. Of course, that was never going to happen.

Sure, maybe when Millennials, like myself, are as old as Baby boomers are now, and streaming is consider old hat like Cable is now.

Until then, unless they want ESPN to die a death, not gonna happen.

avaya

$15 for 60m homes (best case) is still shy of USD1bn per year, this can not pay for the entirety of the content cost. It wouldn't at all.

They will need multiple services. So they will offer multiple.

However don't forget your cable co. They make a relatively small 20-30% gross margin on the TV they sell you. To compensate for this they will increase the broadband price. This is already happening in anticipation.

You won't actually meaningfully save any more money. The cable companies will compensate for the lost video revenue through higher broadband prices, they can get away with it because the US regulatory regime is a total fucking joke.

I would pay $10-15/month to never have to do any of that. I tried that around 1-2 years ago and it lasted for about 3 discs and I said "fuck that shit".

I'm surprised people find this complicated, cumbersome and/or a chore to do. I simply come home from work, pop in the disc, run MakeMKV and it begins ripping in less time than it took me to type up this post. MakeMKV takes care of everything and you barely have to do anything to get it going. I usually go make dinner right after that and it's done and ready to go by the time I finish making it. There's so little effort and time involved and it's far superior to any streaming service out there.

Top Bottom