• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Channel Presents Gravity Falls |OT| Awesome new animated show

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all these hints about Grunkle Stan from the show itself, is it possible
that he's the one that wrote the books and for whatever reason abandoned the research and opened a tourist trap instead? Meanwhile, he convinced the sibling's parents to bring them over to his place, thus, Dipper unbeknownst to him, continues the research about all the weird things happening in Gravity Falls. After all, it was Grunkle Stan who sent Dipper in the forest to post some flyers, and he "stumbles" on the book and the rest is history.

Maybe I'm just over analyzing things :p

I have a list a mile long of reasons why I love Gravity Falls:

- the setting (Oregon, fuck yes!)
- interesting characters! even though they can be a little cliche, they're still pretty damn good
- the colors & visual style
- the fact that it's basically X-Files for kids
- awesome dialogue
- the animation is freaking amazing

There are a ton more, but one of the biggest reasons is that Kristen Schaal does Mabel's voice. SHE IS FANTASTIC. I really like her in 30 Rock, but wow. I cannot believe how great she sounds as as just a voice actor!

I hope they have a ton of episodes planned, 'cause I want this show to go on FOREVER.

Edit: I also want to add that I love that I can watch it with the 4-year-old I babysit. A friend of mine clued me in to how awesome it was a couple weeks ago, and I KNEW this kid had to see it. I think the most hilarious tidbit from my experience is that when I asked him what he liked most about the show, he mentioned Grunkle Stan not getting up to find the remote in episode 6. I was all "Really?! Out of that whole story?!"

Also, I've got him to start saying "Oh donkey spittle!" when I come over, and I've heard him humming the Lamby Lamby Dance song when he thinks he is alone! SO CUTE.

Mesoian

The only problem I have with the show is that the comedic timing can be a little uneven, and even then, the only reason I feel that way is because of Kristen Schaal, who's timing is so sharp on all her other shows, that it sticks out like a sore thumb here.

Really great show thus far.

I've been really enjoying the show since the start. With this, Motorcity, and the upcoming Craig McCracken show, Wonder Over Yonder, Disney really seems to be bringing their A game recently.

The little gags and plays on cliches are great too.

ibogORDRla6EDZ.gif

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
With all these hints about Grunkle Stan from the show itself, is it possible
that he's the one that wrote the books and for whatever reason abandoned the research and opened a tourist trap instead? Meanwhile, he convinced the sibling's parents to bring them over to his place, thus, Dipper unbeknownst to him, continues the research about all the weird things happening in Gravity Falls. After all, it was Grunkle Stan who sent Dipper in the forest to post some flyers, and he "stumbles" on the book and the rest is history.

Maybe I'm just over analyzing things :p

He probably peered too far and lost his mind.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
I have a list a mile long of reasons why I love Gravity Falls:

- the setting (Oregon, fuck yes!)
- interesting characters! even though they can be a little cliche, they're still pretty damn good
- the colors & visual style
- the fact that it's basically X-Files for kids
- awesome dialogue
- the animation is freaking amazing

There are a ton more, but one of the biggest reasons is that Kristen Schaal does Mabel's voice. SHE IS FANTASTIC. I really like her in 30 Rock, but wow. I cannot believe how great she sounds as as just a voice actor!

I hope they have a ton of episodes planned, 'cause I want this show to go on FOREVER.

Edit: I also want to add that I love that I can watch it with the 4-year-old I babysit. A friend of mine clued me in to how awesome it was a couple weeks ago, and I KNEW this kid had to see it. I think the most hilarious tidbit from my experience is that when I asked him what he liked most about the show, he mentioned Grunkle Stan not getting up to find the remote in episode 6. I was all "Really?! Out of that whole story?!"

Also, I've got him to start saying "Oh donkey spittle!" when I come over, and I've heard him humming the Lamby Lamby Dance song when he thinks he is alone! SO CUTE.

it really is a great show. can't wait till august 10th.

My daughter asked me to watch this with her this past weekend. Good show. This is the 4th animated show that we have plans to watch each season together.

The first 3:
Powerpuff Girls
Invader Zim

*Gravity Falls*

Fun Father fact: powerpuff girls aired exactly 3 months after my daughter was born. I made watching cartoons our thing before she even knew it.

A little detail I really like (for some reason) is that their pupils stick out a little when they're at the edge of the eye:

gravity6-e1342197830203.jpg

Has anyone else noticed that?

IIRC they have at east 3 seasons worth of stories planned.

SWEET! I figured they had at least one season, but I didn't realize that shows were green lit for more than one season at a time. Maybe I'm used to watching shows that aren't that popular, haha

A classic cartooning technique when drawing eyes with no irises. :)

Ohhh, neat! I guess it's just very obvious in some shots, and I really haven't noticed it in any other cartoons (that I can remember, anyway). TY :D

SWEET! I figured they had at least one season, but I didn't realize that shows were green lit for more than one season at a time. Maybe I'm used to watching shows that aren't that popular, haha

Ohhh, neat! I guess it's just very obvious in some shots, and I really haven't noticed it in any other cartoons (that I can remember, anyway). TY :D

I don't know if all three seasons have been green lit, but I know Alex has stories planned for at least 3 seasons. And the eyes, yeah, watch some old Loony Toons or Tom & Jerry shorts by Chuck Jones, he did it a LOT. Also Dexter's Lab was one of the more recent ones off the top of my head, even just the intro DeeDee's eyes are crazy out of bounds.

Also, you mentioned adoration for Kristen Schaal as a voice actress - she is indeed incredible and if you haven't seen them already I suggest watching Toy Story 3 (she plays a Triceratops) and the wonderful TV show Bob's Burgers (she's the youngest daughter).

Memles

Also, you mentioned adoration for Kristen Schaal as a voice actress - she is indeed incredible and if you haven't seen them already I suggest watching Toy Story 3 (she plays a Triceratops) and the wonderful TV show Bob's Burgers (she's the youngest daughter).

And, it should be noted, a complete sociopath. In a delightful way.

Here's a badass song about Gravity Falls I noticed on tumblr! I actually really like it. The play button is right above the picture :)

Jesus H, I love this show <3

You know what I love? Gravity Falls. Thank you, gaf, for helping me find another absurdly awesome cartoon for my daughter and I to watch. I find that the jokes whiz over her head a bit more often than I'd like, but I practically never stop laughing.

Fantomex

The writing in this show in terms of dialogue is so witty. One example probably no one noticed but me had to do with the Manotaur episode. 2 manotaurs are in the background hopping out of the locker rooms with towels, they go into the towel slap game that was so common in high school:

"slap"
"Hey Quit it!"
"no you quit it!"

Such a teenage answer, took me back to my dumb grade school days when stupid comebacks where the norm.

I just watched the one with the gnomes for the first time tonight. Sure, I've seen those things floating around gaf before but in context? Hooooooly shit I thought the rainbow puke was gonna put me in the hospital I laughed so hard.

So glad there's a GAF thread for this.

This show is great: well done animation and art including bring damn right funny. In fact I'm surprised this show is even on Disney channel, it gives more of a Cartoon Network vibe if anything.

And Mabel is best character, sparkles man.

yencid

this show has caught on like wildfire.

I work a summer camp and its pretty much THE show all the kids are talking about.

this show has caught on like wildfire.

I work a summer camp and its pretty much THE show all the kids are talking about.

pretty sure this is the only summer show worth talking about. lol. i wonder how it'll do if it was out with others during a fall release.

so i wasn't staring at the tv until the end but they put up the preview trailer on tv for the August 10th episode Double Dipper.

it looks interesting.

oh and for wendy fans.

tumblr_m7t6rpS2S91qdxlruo1_1280.png

i'll update when it's online.

Valhelm

contribute something
This show is incredible. The writing, the art, and the animation quality are just so great. I'm glad to see it's getting some Gaf-love.

Trin

Speaking of getting GAF love, if it's alright I'd like to drop a link to my mini-review of Mystery Shack Mystery, the Gravity Falls point-and-click game (the one with the secret
coded message I mentioned earlier
). I managed to push my love of my favorite new show into my work :p

If anyone would like to play/rate/comment I'd be much appreciative!

FillerB

So Gravity Falls is promoting the New World Order...

http://vigilantcitizen.com/moviesan...ney-tv-show-loaded-with-illuminati-symbolism/

gravity5-e1342197764849.jpg

This frame flashes for literally a split second at the end of the intro. We can easily recognize the Illuminati pyramid with illuminated capstone and All-Seeing eye, along with other alchemical and magical symbols. Also, there’s the Contra code on NES, which is rather hilarious.
Stan appears to have two Owl clocks – the owl is an ancient symbol representing the occult elite (those who work in darkness), the Illuminati and the Bohemian Grove.
The letter “A” of the word “Shack” consists of a compass above and All-Seeing Eye, a combination of symbols of found in Masonic symbolism.

Found right here on GAF through: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=484423

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom