• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney Infinity Canceled; Disney Exits Console Publishing; Avalanche Shut [Statement]

udivision

Maybe Nintendo never going "All In" with amiibo, and licensing out their IP (Donkey Kong, Bowser) to Skylanders was the right move. Because Amiibo isn't dependent on any one game, there's no Nintendo studio that's exclusively doing amiibo games.

I'm reminded of Jeff Gerstmann (from Giant Bomb) talking about how Disney seemed to have no interest in the core gaming model. Like he would talk to execs at Disney, and they were not enthusiastic at all.

Infinity seemed like an idea Disney should've been successful in, but honestly, after the launch-era of Disney Infinity, I had no fucking clue how it was doing as a product. Guess the answer is "not that well".

Disney has a ton of licenses (Marvel, Pixar etc) that could get used well in a video game setting, but they seemingly have no interest in anything that isn't some F2P thing or a mobile app (and hey, props to 'em, that shit prints money...just not my money :( )

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I remember the first time they announced Infinity and everyone thought the Disney brand was so powerful that it would knock Skylanders off the market, yet here we are.

Tagyhag

Man that's a shitty thing, lots of jobs gone.

I honestly thought Infinite was doing really well, it just sounds like a cash cow considering all the different IP's at play.

The problem isn't that it's "not selling". It's just not selling enough for Disney. They can make buckloads of money with other merch, they don't care about video games.

This is what depresses me about Disney owning the Marvel properties.... as a gamer, there is so much missed potential for good super hero video games. It's fine if you're just into movies, and free to play games...but sucks if you're an enthusiast like me.

Lagamorph

I always assumed it was doing really well given how regularly new figures were coming out and the fact it had reached a third version.

Not that surprised honestly. The games were super buggy. I had a game breaking bug on Rise of the Empire that made me have no main mission marker on Hoth and I could never get to Endor. Lots of other smaller bugs as well.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Damn, that sucks.

I remember one guy at Disney saying they'll have more stuff (at least for Marvel) for consoles this E3. Wonder if things have changed.

It changed. Official statement says 3 Alice Through the Looking Glass figures and a Finding Dory set. Everything else canceled.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Disney had kind of an insane cost base.

Avalanche was 300 people, plus they had eight other studios on top of them working on Disney Infinity 3.

It's like how Junction Point was shut down after Epic Mickey 2 because they were 700 employees and the game only sold a few million.

Yes I totally agree on this. I am pretty sure their development costs were the main reason. I think that on top on avalanche other four studios co developed the latest game

Damn, always been sorta curious about these. Guess I'll hop in soon and order the figures from IPs I like.
Think the toys will go up in value due to no more production or go down due to no more production?

Wasn't expecting that, I wonder if other toys to life manufacturers will follow suit? It's a damn shame for people like Jones, but I guess this means we could maybe get some good licensed Disney games out of it.

I wonder if this is because of ESPN floundering?

Holy shit. I thought this series was doing relatively well. They'd announced plans to continue support for 3.0.

Poor Avalanche. They made some good licensed games for Disney, especially Toy Story 3 and Cars 2, which were surprisingly good.

LiK

Wasn't expecting that, I wonder if other toys to life manufacturers will follow suit? It's a damn shame for people like Jones, but I guess this means we could maybe get some good licensed Disney games out of it.

I wonder if this is because of ESPN floundering?

Amiibo prices have plummeted and you can buy plenty for cheap prices now. i think it's over.

Neoxon

R.I.P. Any hope for Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, or Captain Marvel figures

I actually liked their Marvel figures.

I bought my nephew both disney infinity with figures and lego marvel.
He thought infinity was hard and boring and plays lego almost all the time.

They made a mistake making figures for new movie characters instead of first targeting nostalgic fans.

I wanted the lion king
Hunchback of notre dam
Ducktales

Etc...

ezekial45

Banned
Very disappointing to hear. I guess I better buy what toys I want while I can. I had some fun with Infinity, but never really got too invested in it.

oti

Banned
This is what depresses me about Disney owning the Marvel properties.... as a gamer, there is so much missed potential for good super hero video games. It's fine if you're just into movies, and free to play games...but sucks if you're an enthusiast like me.

Yeah, that sucks. Maybe they should've gone even more for the enthusiast market. Limit the release of figurines (producing so many must be super expensive) but make them nicer. 20€ or 30€ even. Scrap the ToyBox. Supporting that must've been pretty expensive too. Oh well, who am I to give Disney business advice. They'll know what they're doing.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Man, I always thought the Disney Infinity figures were crazy good looking. That Hulkbuster Iron Man was heavy as a brick, yet it was as expensive as any amiibo or Skylander. Too bad the games themselves never appealed to me, otherwise I would have fallen in love with this series.

It's a pity for all those people as well. I hope they all land on their feet!

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Change the title to read "Avalanche Software" not Avalanche studios.

Luq

What? That's surprising... I thought the were doing at least "fine" and were profitable enough to keep it around.

SpotAnime

Not completely surprising considering they stopped support for PC and Apple TV earlier this year.

Well, guess this explain the earlier nuking of the PC DLC.

I figured that was just streamlining and focusing on where the consumers were. No use spending money on platforms where no one's playing. Especially if Avalanche was at 300 AND they were contracting out to Ninja Theory and Sumo Digital. Halting Apple and PC development would have reduced their expenses somewhat, and no new version (just expansions and figures) would have trimmed their overhead further.

They need to just release a Scrooge McDuck figure as a final hurrah to fans.

NoPiece

It is probably a positive for that IP - more likely it will get licensed to a publisher/developer that will do something interesting with it than if it sat inside Disney.

Orca

They're committed to money. Sending out their IPs to already established AAA studios is much easier than trying to run your own shop. IPs that bring in tons of cash without having the dirty work.

And then in a couple years they revisit it, someone says they could make more money and have more control by having in-house teams do it all...and we're back where we started.

DJ_Lae

That sucks.

The games were never great, but there was a ton of potential there and the figures are way better quality than any of the others.

Top Bottom