• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you actually enjoy trophy hunting or is it purely an OCD thing for you?

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I know so many people are into getting trophies and I never have been. And I'm an OCD completionist. I'm someone who in RPGs likes to max out all my stats(if possible) get all my characters to 9999 HP(if possible) get all the best gear, recruit all the characters, do all the side quests, etc. But trophies are the one thing that have never resonated with me. I guess it's because I consider the tasks completely arbitrary. Like "Kill this random enemy 50 times." If it's something that I don't want to organically do in a playthrough then I'm not going to do it. Especially since my backlog is so long. It just takes up time I could be giving to other games. And listening to people talk about trophies, as much as so many people like them, I've noticed over the years hearing people talk about trophies, few actually seem to actually have fun doing it. It seems like for most it's purely an OCD completionist thing.

I always hear stuff like "God... getting platinum on [insert game here] is so annoying, it's taking me forever." It's totally different in my experience with how people talk about completing other things in games. Like completing a challenging puzzle or a difficult platforming section in a game.

I'm currently playing Eiyuden Chronicles and there's a mini game in this game you need to beat NPCs in throughout the game to get a trophy. And I saw a user on Reddit the other day talking about how much of a chore it was and how they're ready to pull their hair out doing this task and how boring and annoying it was. And I'm thinking to myself "Then why the fuck are you doing it???" That post encapsulates perfectly my belief that most people do it for OCD reasons and not fun.

I also listen to Colin Moriarty rant every so often about how games these days are too big and don't respect your time and how platinums take too long to complete anymore. And he's said that developers should make the games shorter for gamers. I'll always respect Colin's opinion and he's entitled to it, but no one's forcing anyone to 100% a game. To me that particular gripe translates to "I don't want to 100% this game because it's too long and I'm getting bored of it, but my OCD won't let me" and then blaming that on the game developers.

But maybe I'm wrong and people do actually enjoy trophy hunting. I just want to see where people stand on it. And if there are people who do it who will admit it's mostly OCD thing.

And for the record, I'm not trying to talk anyone out of doing trophies. You do you. If that's your jam, get as many trophies as you want. I'm trying to understand why so many people are into then as someone who is an OCD gamer but never had the trophy itch myself.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Last time I cared for Xbox Achievement Pts was getting all 30 Intels in COD 4, and in one of the EA NHL games (maybe NHL 08 or 09?), if you create players and goalies you get pts.

Havent bothered since. I even turn off Achievement Pts notifications.

lachesis

OCD thing for me too, unfortunately. I mean, I literally did 100% on the TOTK. Koroks, Caves, Bubble Frogs, etc etc.
I usually go into any given game w/o really thinking about trophies... but I end up seeing that I'm pretty close to getting platinum, so I tend to go that extra mile to get something.

But I didn't do for the Persona 4 Golden, listening Rise's every single comment thing. That was stupid.

I tell myself "Platninum" = I enjoyed everything that the game has to offer = money/time well spent. Perhaps I should go a bit easier on any given game.

T4keD0wN

Never understood the concept of trophies/achievements, i always disable overlays so i dont have to see those pop-ups, they remind me of pop-up ads.
Cant put them on a CV or turn them to cash, which means theyre completely worthless beyond being a visual distraction. Theyre actively detrimental to the player and only help companies because some people will waste time that they otherwise wouldnt and that looks good on business reports.

(i am glad that some find enjoyment in them and i am sure they can be well executed, but its not for me)

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
I get enough from games way before I ever consider getting trophies, I even have the notification disabled in Steam, wish I could do the same in Xbox app because it takes me out of the game showing in the middle of an important moment like an important boss, etc, not to mention the extremely bright color of it, goddamn.

ungalo

Somewhere between the two for me. There were several times when i started to have the trophy/achievement obsession but quickly snapped out of it.

On the other hand, i like to do the achievements/trophies as an excuse to play a game i really like more. And sometimes (it's relatively rare) trophies really compliment a game (i think more globally trophies are a lot of time saying something about a game).

DAHGAMING

I never cared for them, I was gaming long before they came about and never was excited when Xbox Achievments come about, I guess same reason I dont care for multiplayer level systems, cosmetics ect.

Kataploom

Gold Member
OCD thing for me too, unfortunately. I mean, I literally did 100% on the TOTK. Koroks, Caves, Bubble Frogs, etc etc.
I usually go into any given game w/o really thinking about trophies... but I end up seeing that I'm pretty close to getting platinum, so I tend to go that extra mile to get something.

But I didn't do for the Persona 4 Golden, listening Rise's every single comment thing. That was stupid.

I tell myself "Platninum" = I enjoyed everything that the game has to offer = money/time well spent. Perhaps I should go a bit easier on any given game.
How did you not get burnt out from the koroks? I'm 100% sure they're not designed with the intention of collecting them all.

I do enjoy going for plat if it's reasonable. Some games have insane requirements for it that I'm just not going to even entertain. I used to think trophies were dumb but I actually enjoy them a lot now. I've even played\done stuff in games I would have never done because of trophies and really enjoyed it. Those are the kinds of trophies I like. The ones where it's basically just guiding you through all the game systems and things to do so you get a taste of everything.

Last edited:

lachesis

How did you not get burnt out from the koroks? I'm 100% sure they're not designed with the intention of collecting them all.
That must have taken so long there are so many.

It took me 11 months to finish the game.
I have to be honest that I tried to find as many as I could w/o any aid - but once I reached certain point after 6 months, decided to go with the aid from some interactive map available.

Now I wish that the next Zelda game won't be as much collectathon like previous one - or at least give something really cool for it. :)

El Muerto

I just care about getting them on Xbox because i get rewards points for them. But on Steam and PS they're meaningless.

Shakka43

I used to hunt for platinums as much as possible from their inception on PS3 up until a few years ago, I still like them but only go for completion on games that I finish with a high percentage by just playing normally.

Mithos

If I do not 100% already LOVE the game, it's what makes me play it again and again.

Last edited:
Not really but it killed time when I used to hunt trophies for bragging rights. I haven't trophy hunted since 2020 and gaming has been much more fun overall as a result.

LectureMaster

Gold Member
I have respect for folks who achieve great challenges, e.g. a DMC5 or XCOM 2 platinum.

Don't care the checklist style achievements.

But seriously, the trophy hate on this board is pretty obnoxious.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It's both. Nothing makes my digital penis get more erect than seeing a trophy pop.

I have chosen to not play some games due to shitty trophies/achievements.

I do not like trophies that require needless and pointless grinding. Or something that nobody would do if it wasn't a trophy (headshots in Witcher 3 come to mind) I HATE multiplayer based achievements.

Topher

Gold Member
I enjoy it as long as it done well. No online trophies (unless it is an online game only of course). Doesn't require you play on the highest difficulty. Not just about bunch collectible gathering trophies. I like some unique challenges likein AC Valhalla where you have to kill three guys with shields without breaking their shields......while on fire. Clever stuff like that is cool.

Kacho

lol no. I hate the fucking things. “Shoot 10 enemies while spinning around”

9ABG.gif

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
that's the shit I love. lol

It can add fun little challenges too. I remember Assassin's Creed had the typical "Collect everything" achievements, but it also had things like "Stay Actively Wanted/In Pursuit for 10 minutes". It was a nice little challenge and was fun to stay chased that long while not getting caught. Made me look at the environment and where I can parkour in a new way.

Last edited:
Never understood the concept of trophies/achievements, i always disable overlays so i dont have to see those pop-ups, they remind me of pop-up ads.
Cant put them on a CV or turn them to cash, which means theyre completely worthless beyond being a visual distraction. Theyre actively detrimental to the player and only help companies because some people will waste time that they otherwise wouldnt and that looks good on business reports.
They objectively are not. All trophies/achievements are is just extra objectives or missions in a game. They add more value to a game, and the 'value' they add is 100% up to the player. It's no different from Nintendo games or games pre trophies/achievements having side content that isn't needed to beat the actual game.

nush

I did at the start, then I realized it was just meaningless bullshit. Anyone remember when postcount was under your avatar on forums? It's like that, just a number.

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
Ultimately it depends on the game. If I'm enjoying a game I'll generally try and platinum it. If it's a complete grinding slog I'll bail.

March Climber

Gold Member
The Platinums have to be fun enough to make me want to look for or try side content that I normally wouldn't.

Resident Evil's latest remakes have had fun and fair platinums.

On the opposite end, Elder Scrolls Online's platinum wants you to spend a huge chunk of your life grinding endlessly.

Fluo

Some games are fun to platinum, some games are not. I would never bother with honor modes or grindy ones. But I do like completionist achievements, like finding all the collectibles, doing every side quest, stuff like that.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Not really, even for the games I love. the only reason I do with FROM games is they are mostly straight forward which I naturally will do regardless there was trophy for it or not.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I am an OCD completionist. In my main PSN profile I've played 809 games and have earned every trophy in all 809 games.

5IT3lzV.jpeg

I still wish they would let us delete games from our lists/accounts. So many MP games that I will never complete due to servers shutting down - or games that are fundamentally broken and never got fixed (Borderlands 2 on Vita).

AmuroChan

Gold Member
I still wish they would let us delete games from our lists/accounts. So many MP games that I will never complete due to servers shutting down - or games that are fundamentally broken and never got fixed (Borderlands 2 on Vita).

If you have 0 trophies earned in the game, you can delete the game off your list permanently.

Top Bottom