• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you actually enjoy trophy hunting or is it purely an OCD thing for you?

I have seen some that were fun, but 99,9% of the time I am not even aware that they exist. They do nothing for my gameplay experience, other than checking how much of the game I have finished in the rare cases where they are logical.

dotnotbot

I've been trophy hunting for the past 15 years, 100%ing every game I play and I still enjoy it a lot. OCD or not, I don't know, it just gives me a lot of satisfaction for some reason.

Even grindy trophies can be enjoyable if you're in a mood for some brainless activity.

Last edited:

Danknugz

achievements/ trophies can make a horrible game ok but for games that are already good or ones you naturally are really into they are kind of pointless. when i'm playing a boring ass game they lighten my hatred towards the developer for wasting my time.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Not "hunted" them in a long time but if I'm already playing a game I love a lot, I'll often go out of the way to sweep up whatever achievements are left if it isn't a complete ballache.

Baldur's Gate 3 was a good one since I was already playing it three times in a row and it added a few extra things for me to go do.

DryvBy

I enjoy them from a stand point of seeing which games I've finished. They're just the 21st century take on leaderboards from the arcades. Something you can show off, and something you can just enjoy personally that you did. You're not always going to be number, or in this case get em all, but it's fun to try.

Achievements and trophies pushed me to finish more games vs how I did in the 90s where I'd get to the end and move into something else.

DryvBy

I am an OCD completionist. In my main PSN profile I've played 809 games and have earned every trophy in all 809 games.

5IT3lzV.jpeg

How does mine make you feel?
iDaBBd8.jpeg

WitchHunter

Banned
Dev guy sitting on the toilet. Aaaaahhhh, okay, let's collect 25 flowers and call it Flower Power.

Someone should bludgeon to death the ones responsible for achievements.

Aenima

I like them, but i just look at the trophy list after beating a game. When i enjoy a game alot and the credits already rolled, its when i use trophy hunting as my carrot on a stick to keep playing and sometimes find stuff i would have not found.

Coconutt

It depends on the game but on PSN I am a completionist and will 100% get all trophies but on PC on whatever launcher I don't care. I've invested to much on my psn trophy level

marquimvfs

Never understood the concept of trophies/achievements, i always disable overlays so i dont have to see those pop-ups, they remind me of pop-up ads.
Cant put them on a CV or turn them to cash, which means theyre completely worthless beyond being a visual distraction. Theyre actively detrimental to the player and only help companies because some people will waste time that they otherwise wouldnt and that looks good on business reports.

(i am glad that some find enjoyment in them and i am sure they can be well executed, but its not for me)
This, right here.

Zelduh

Thankfully I don't care about fake video game trophies or points, if something in a game isn't fun to do or I don't feel like doing it I simply don't and it absolutely doesn't bother me. I don't consider trophies or achievement lists or whatever to be an actual part of the game anyway, it's outside of the game and I couldn't care less about it and don't understand why people torture themselves over it

MDSLKTR

Gold Member
I call it quits when they start ruining the enjoyment of good games. I recently stopped GT7 because the last gold licence trial is absolutely brutal. On the other hand I love collecting platinums for Resident Evil series.

Achievements are whatever. First game I attempted 1000/1000 is forever glitched (Condemned 1). I like the gamerscore go up, recently got 30k but again it's whatever.

Little bit of both. I've always been on the completionist sort of spectrum. I don't always get platinum or whatever though, only if I'm enjoying it. It was the same for completing games in general regardless of trophies.

I do like certain aspects, like that it time stamps when it was achieved. That's pr9bably the most interesting aspect of it for me is occasionally reviewing such things years later when I replay a game.

killatopak

Gold Member
I enjoy them. I usually even want more. Some games I get platinum trophies on have more content not covered by the trophies and I always wondered why. I mean if I am correct Shadow of Erdtree won't feature trophies and that sucks as they're a motivating factor for me to do stuff I normally wouldn't do.

Top Bottom