• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you plan on making the switch to EV? And when?

My status is:

• I own an EV and my next car will be an ICE

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I own an EV and my next car will be an EV

Votes: 12 13.2%
  • I own an ICE and my next car will be an ICE

Votes: 62 68.1%
  • I own an ICE and my next car will be an EV

Votes: 15 16.5%

• Total voters

Tams

I don't see myself being able to afford an EV that suits my needs anytime soon.

Sure, the ICE fuel costs add up, but the lower upfront price and convenience make up for it, and it can be sold for a decent-ish price.

Okay, I perhaps could get an EV if I really wanted to. The true reason is that I love manual transmission, and no EVs offer that in any good way.

Forsete

Gold Member
Just got a hybrid. Honda e:HEV which is basically an electric car with a ICE driving the electric motor. Battery in it is very small though, 1.05 kWh.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Early EV adopter (have not had an ICE for 8 years)....and I have the scars and war stories. I still plan to purchase a new one BUT I am also on the look out for a nice used ICE for REALLY long road trips.

My advice in the short term is to lease. The battery degradation (not to mention the amount of issues the battery packs have had) really puts a dent in their value so at the end of your lease you have incredibly strong bargaining power (at least in my experience).

Little Mac

I’d like a decent used EV or atleast something newer than what I have with better gas mileage. But I don’t think I can afford one with what prices are at. I take care of a parent full time and it’s kinda tough atm. I am in the market for a used car though as my 1997 Jeep Cherokee has seen better days and getting parts for it has been rough. 225k+ miles on her. Bought her used 15-16 years ago for $2400. All things said, she’s been very kind to me and I’ll miss her when it’s time to move on.

This is basically the plot to Wall-E isn’t it.

Last edited:

SoloCamo

I’d like a decent used EV or atleast something newer than what I have with better gas mileage. But I don’t think I can afford one with what prices are at. I take care of a parent full time and it’s kinda tough atm. I am in the market for a used car though as my 1997 Jeep Cherokee has seen better days and getting parts for it has been rough. 225k+ miles on her. Bought her used 15-16 years ago for $2400. All things said, she’s been very kind to me and I’ll miss her when it’s time to move on.

This is basically the plot to Wall-E isn’t it.

Those XJ Cherokees are bulletproof, especially if you have the 4.0L Inline 6. I've got a 1988 Jeep Comanche with that engine (Renix years though, not the High output Chrysler motor that started in 1991) and aside from electrical and vacuum line gremlins (due to age and sitting at this point) that motor is rock solid.

Last edited:

Blade2.0

I want an EV. I barely drive as it is and if I could live without a car where I'm at, I would 100%. That isn't viable, though. So when I do (hopefully) get a better paying job, I've been looking real hard at a 2017-2018 Chevy Bolt Premier. They just had the battery recalls which means most of them have new batteries in them since 2023. Most are ok good condition because they aren't driven all the time like ICE cars, and I don't mind just parking and relaxing on long drives. I'm not an iron butt aficionado.

So yea, I hope my next car is an EV, but honestly my car right now is still in good condition and runs just fine, so who knows what will be on the market by the time I actually do get anything else. If I'm lucky I'll be in a country that has good public transit and I won't fucking need one, but we shall see.

Last edited:

Muffdraul

I'm about to buy a car and if I had a convenient way to charge it I would totally get an EV. Unfortunately that's not the case... so I'm looking at muscle cars. Sorry, I'm kind of a 'black or white' type of person...

lachesis

Well I have been riding a Prius Prime for past 7 yrs. It’s a plug in hybrid- and I think I will keep it at least another 5-10 yrs. It was a worthwhile investment that saved ton of money on gas and tolls.

I think market will change quite a bit by then (10 yrs). so I am happy where I am, and will decide at that point.

We will see a lot of different opinions on how EV fairs in the long run. For one, the battery life and all, and how it affects used car prices etc.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not anytime soon with what I see, prices and selection.

But maybe in 2030 or so when Toyota said they got some solid state batteries ready to go mainstream that get 1000km and charge in 10 minutes, I'll go for it if they got slick Lexus models that have it. And not insanely priced. Priced similar to ICE Lexus.

Last edited:

Uhtred

I will be the last MF’r on earth to own an EV, and will only do so when I am forced to by the government. I’m sure they will do things like charge 4 times more for registration on an ICE than an EV at some point.

I will be the last MF’r on earth to own an EV, and will only do so when I am forced to by the government. I’m sure they will do things like charge 4 times more for registration on an ICE than an EV at some point.
This is exactly where I'm at. Those bastards will have to take the keys to my Impreza out of my cold dead hands.

I don't have a drive so I have nowhere to charge and EV. I also don't want a car that monitors everything I do and can grass me up for speeding or breaking any other minor traffic rule.

So called 'smart' tech is almost always annoying and the thought of having it run my car would drive me mad. I don't want to have to watch three ads before I can start up my car and I don't want to be forced to pay to upgrade the software in order to make the damn thing work.

Fuck these people who want to monitor and control everything we do. Driving is one of the last ways you can actually take risks and have a bit of freedom. EVs are one step towards driverless cars and anyone who wants that needs their head seeing to.

ShadowNate

I would like to get one eventually when financials are better and hopefully the tech improves and the cost is lower.
But currently, the only way to get one would be if my car was actually a Transformer.

Mohonky

Call me they don't need slave labor to build the batteries, the batteries can actually be recycled, and the car can go 600 miles on a charge.
Got bad news for you; literally every electronic device you're using was built on slave labour and child labour.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
No chance am I switching to a full EV, we simply don't have the infrastructure in place to make it a viable option over here in the UK/Ireland, I have a Hybrid instead, still waiting on my company installing chargers FFS so I can avail of a free commute in and out work

Blade2.0

This is exactly where I'm at. Those bastards will have to take the keys to my Impreza out of my cold dead hands.

I don't have a drive so I have nowhere to charge and EV. I also don't want a car that monitors everything I do and can grass me up for speeding or breaking any other minor traffic rule.

So called 'smart' tech is almost always annoying and the thought of having it run my car would drive me mad. I don't want to have to watch three ads before I can start up my car and I don't want to be forced to pay to upgrade the software in order to make the damn thing work.

Fuck these people who want to monitor and control everything we do. Driving is one of the last ways you can actually take risks and have a bit of freedom. EVs are one step towards driverless cars and anyone who wants that needs their head seeing to.
See, I like EVs, but I hate the EVs that go crazy with all the tech. That's why I like Chevy Bolt. It's a regular, every day use car but with an electric motor. That's all I want. I don't want a tablet doing everything in the car. I want a knob to change AC controls, etc. Bolt is the perfect balance that I've seen.

Goalus

There's efuel . Porsche is working on it
They're pretending to work on it. Only time will tell if they are persistent enough and willing to invest the money to make it a reality. They could become the Tesla of efuel technology and infrastructure, but I doubt they'll ever expand their test setup in Chile.

I have both an ICE and an electric car - Honda Civic Type R FK8 and Honda e. My next car will most likely be an EV, but that's five years off.

Last edited:

Hudo

I mostly use my bicycle or my legs (I live in a fairly bicycle-friendly and walkable city). I do own an ICE, tho.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Got bad news for you; literally every electronic device you're using was built on slave labour and child labour.
Give me a phone and computer driven by internal combustion engines and I'd buy them, but they don't exist. I have a CHOICE to not support slavery with my car.

Ownage

We need to see more of retromodding of vehicles. For example, drop the ICE engine and tranny of an old car and install a crate EV powertrain. Some nerds are doing it already with Porsches and old Mustangs. This would minimize some use of new materials and continue the use of older attractive automotive heritage.

I'd do this on an E36 M3, an old Gen.1 Z3 or a 1980s Benz.

Last edited:

j0hnnix

Not any time soon. Maybe never. Truck is paid off, I don't want another car payment. New job is 10 mins away, my truck does 545 Miles on a full tank if I cared to travel. Will rent an EV for work trips tho.

If I were to contemplate a new purchase , it would be Chevy Silverado EV.

chromhound

They're pretending to work on it. Only time will tell if they are persistent enough and willing to invest the money to make it a reality. They could become the Tesla of efuel technology and infrastructure, but I doubt they'll ever expand their test setup in Chile.

I have both an ICE and an electric car - Honda Civic Type R FK8 and Honda e. My next car will most likely be an EV, but that's five years off.
They're working on a machine that will extract Co2 extract directly from the atmosphere. The firm has invested more than $100 million in its eFuel program and plans to ultimately operate eFuel sites in Chile, Uruguay, the U.S., and Australia

Goalus

They're working on a machine that will extract Co2 extract directly from the atmosphere. The firm has invested more than $100 million in its eFuel program and plans to ultimately operate eFuel sites in Chile, Uruguay, the U.S., and Australia
I believe it if I see meaningful progress within the next 5 or even 10 years. Public gas stations offering this new fuel must be the goal, at least for Porsche owners at first.

Last edited:

Zeypher

Got one a Tata Tigor. It does well for daily commute well enough and no issues so far. Have had it for year and half.

Top Bottom