• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doctor Who Viewership is plummeting

Krathoon

It is like they are intentionally trying to get the show cancelled. Like this is a last hurrah.

Maybe Disney will keep it going like Star Wars and Marvel.

I really did not like what Disney did to Willow. That show deserved another season.

Krathoon

If the show gets cancelled, it is going to be blatently obvious why. They got ahead of themselves. Too "progressive".

Really, I think they will be afraid to cancel it because it will make them look bad.

That is the problem when a show becomes too woke. They are going to look like assholes for canceling it.

Last edited:

Krathoon

There are a few moments where the show kind of "jumped the shark" lately.

-The rocket firing wheelchair.
-Brown skinned Issaic Newton.
-The baby episode.
-The musical number.

Still, the musical number can be seen as a prize for defeating a god.

Wheeljack539

Gold Member
If the show gets cancelled, it is going to be blatently obvious why. They got ahead of themselves. Too "progressive".

Really, I think they will be afraid to cancel it because it will make them look bad.

That is the problem when a show becomes too woke. They are going to look like assholes for canceling it.

The other thing is that they'd never admit that they were wrong and keep blaming others/the viewers for their fuckups.

Hell, I remember hearing about that crap about the First Doctor not even being the original or even a man to begin with and thinking they could have fixed it all easily when Jodie's Doctor regenerated and we found that the Doctor was under some scheme by the Master and held in mid-regeneration with another Time Lord (who was really Jodie's Doctor's origins and why there was much convoluted bits since it was two lives being forced into one). You could have taken Jodie's Doctor and given it it's own spinoff with her having all the memories of the Doctor along with her own.

Krathoon

Oh, now we have this boy genius character on a Segway. WTF? Do we really need that?

It makes no sense. A dangerous organization like UNIT would not hire a pint sized teenager. I don't care if he is a genius.

Oh, and the trans teenager is working for them too!

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
Except rather than a majestic phoenix rising from the ashes, we'll get another Dodo most likely.
aDSSFFXr4qredAnzYvQUbL.jpg

ZGU3MTIzNzgtNzNlOC00N2VmLWE4YWQtY2IyMGFlNTIwOTRi_star-trek-tng-season-one-cast.jpeg

p7893520_i_h9_aa.jpg

Cancelled and reborn.

jason10mm

Gold Member
It is kind of funny how they screw up a show if it runs long enough. Politics start getting into it.

Huffing their own farts.
That's hiw the grift works. They know an ultra progressive new IP is DOA, so they just attack established stuff to parasitize the existing audience.

But they push too far. Hell even a woke show like Bridgerton with their ridiculous casting choices is getting push back for going to far over by middle aged ladies.

Krathoon

That is what's so irritating about it. RTD had Torchwood and Captain Jack and he just had to mess with the Doctor Who formula.

He could not just leave it alone and take the show back to the way it was.

Last edited:

Krathoon

I bet Peter Capaldi is looking at Doctor Who right now and is going, "WTF is this shit!?!".

He would not admit to it, but I bet he is.

Krathoon

Really, I am fine with the Doctor being gay it is just the weird agenda crap that is annoying me.

It is the preachy, ham fisted stuff that is annoying.

YCoCg

Gold Member
Oh, now we have this boy genius character on a Segway. WTF? Do we really need that?

It makes no sense. A dangerous organization like UNIT would not hire a pint sized teenager. I don't care if he is a genius.

Oh, and the trans teenager is working for them too!
As a long time fan I will call you out on this one, UNIT don't exactly make the best choices or ones that make sense, them hiring a child genius is well within their crazy scope.

Laptop1991

Yeah, i saw a couple of videos about this, and the BBC are not allowing reviews on certain sites as well, the figures are down, but then again Russell T Davies already stated DR Who fans won't like this series of DR Who and it seems he was right.

Pejo

Yeah, i saw a couple of videos about this, and the BBC are not allowing reviews on certain sites as well, the figures are down, but then again Russell T Davies already stated DR Who fans won't like this series of DR Who and it seems he was right.
Did he really say that? Lol.

Crazy idea I know, but couldn't he just make another show called something other than Dr. Who? Nah, nevermind, t'was but a momentary lapse of judgement on my part. I'm sure that this was the right path forward.

Laptop1991

Crazy idea I know, but couldn't he just make another show called something other than Dr. Who? Nah, nevermind, t'was but a momentary lapse of judgement on my part. I'm sure that this was the right path forward.
Yeah he did about Xmas time lol, not a great advert for your series is it, he also stated when he took back over of DR Who he didn't like woke shows in the media at the time, then again Disney is in charge and they have paid money so i'm not sure RTD is in charge really and they are calling the shots, and i liked his first run in DR who nearly 20 years ago.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member

Its the exact same thing that happened with comics back in the mid 2010s. In fact I think comics really were at the forefront of all this stuff and I personally didnt realize it. I mentioned it in some other threads as well.

Writers and creators of comics wanted to write new diverse characters but the fact is the audience didnt care at all. Any new character they created would just bomb and flop ASAP so instead they just started changing all the existing characters and completely changing their character arc, back story, sexuality, gender etc. so they could write the stories they wanted to write.

Same thing here. Do you think anyone would watch this show with these characters if it wasn't called Dr Who?

FeralEcho

Its the exact same thing that happened with comics back in the mid 2010s. In fact I think comics really were at the forefront of all this stuff and I personally didnt realize it. I mentioned it in some other threads as well.

Writers and creators of comics wanted to write new diverse characters but the fact is the audience didnt care at all. Any new character they created would just bomb and flop ASAP so instead they just started changing all the existing characters and completely changing their character arc, back story, sexuality, gender etc. so they could write the stories they wanted to write.

Same thing here. Do you think anyone would watch this show with these characters if it wasn't called Dr Who?
This is why people are so tired of "the message".

It's not that the message itself is bad, it's the execution of it. How,instead of creating new ips for people interested in it,they would rather force existing fanbases into this soft indoctrination by slowly changing established rules and characters they already grew to love all for the sake of forcing the writter's own views down their throats because they know they are too incompetent at writting any compeling woke characters that people would be interested in,so they would rather fumble through their messaging by destroying established characters.

In a way, there's a silver lining to the fact that so many big franchises got ruined in the end,since the pushback would have been smaller had they not been so brazen about it all.

All this stigma woke culture has is nothing but a byproduct they themselves created by forcing this shit in such blatant manners.

Krathoon

The final episode of the season is today. See how they defeat the big bad.

Find out who the hell Mrs. Flood is.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
By the sounds if it, probably not.

But that's what branding is for.

No different than Steven Spielberg's name being attached to a film as a headliner or a cookie maker making a new product line and saying "from the makers of xxx". Got to reenforce the attention of people try it or watch it based on past products,

Last edited:

Krathoon

That is what is creepy about it. The entertainment industry does it's damnedest to manipulate society instead of just telling a story.

Oh, you should accept all these people with different sexualities. YOU MUST ACCEPT THEM! THAT IS THE NEW RULE!

Krathoon

I also notice this trend lately where characters will have two mothers raising them.

It is never two fathers. Because men are bad.

Long ago, there was this show called "My Two Dads". That would never be made these days.

The only show where I see it is in "Modern Family".

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
DC did make Superman gay recently.

imagen the butt ache this will cause
I had to google this and it's true. Clark/Lois superboy son is bisexual.

It'll be interesting to see how all the super villains confront him. Do they shoot kryptonite bullets at him or do they tape a giant kryptonite gem to their ass.

The new plotlines sound like blockbusters. I'm sure every Superman fan has craved about him protecting exportation of refugees. I'm going to order 50 copies of each issue.

This article is more than 2 years old

DC Comics reveals latest Superman as bisexual in new issue​

This article is more than 2 years old
The Man of Steel will be in a same-sex relationship while combatting the climate crisis and protesting against the deportation of refugees

Benjamin Lee
Mon 11 Oct 2021 17.28 BST

Jonathan Kent, the new iteration of Superman, is bisexual, according to DC Comics.
The traditionally heterosexual superhero will embark on a same-sex relationship with a friend in a new comic. Kent, who is the son of Clark Kent and Lois Lane, started his tenure in July.

“The idea of replacing Clark Kent with another straight white savior felt like a missed opportunity,” Tom Taylor, the series writer, said in an interview with the New York Times.
His new love interest is Jay Nakamura, a reporter who cares for him after he “mentally and physically burns out from trying to save everyone that he can” in an issue of Superman: Son of Kal-El #5, to be released in November. Nakamura is also revealed to have special powers.
Kent’s sexuality is not the only way in which the character has been updated for a new audience and time. Recent issues have seen him protesting against the deportation of refugees, stopping a high school shooting and trying to put out wildfires that were the cause of the climate crisis.
“I’ve always said everyone needs heroes and everyone deserves to see themselves in their heroes and I’m very grateful DC and Warner Bros share this idea,” said Taylor in a statement. “Superman’s symbol has always stood for hope, for truth and for justice. Today, that symbol represents something more. Today, more people can see themselves in the most powerful superhero in comics.”
The news follows other recent attempts to add queerness to the world of comics. In August, it was announced that the latest version of Robin would have a boyfriend while in March, Marvel also made the decision to pass the mantle of Captain America to a gay character.
But the big-screen worlds of Marvel and DC remain less progressive. Tessa Thompson’s character in Thor: Ragnarok was only revealed as bisexual in a tweet while Deadpool’s sexual fluidity has yet to be fully explored. This November’s Eternals is set to change things with the Marvel Cinematic Universe’s first LGBTQ+ kiss between Brian Tyree Henry’s Phastos, the first openly gay superhero in a Marvel movie, and Haaz Sleiman, who plays his husband.

Last edited:

Krathoon

I like how they say "straight white savior" like it is a bad thing.

Oh, how dare that happen in these modern times.

How dare that firefighter or paramedic that saves your life be a straight white man.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
It is starting to get to a point where you are going to have to fight for the straight people.
Nah, straight people are just going to tank your IP since they are so numerous and prefer to give their cash to someone else.

When will we get obligatory “white men killed X” like we have with millennials?

Krathoon

I always like how The Witcher kind of flies against these trends. You got a straight white leading man that screws around. Deal with it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That is what is creepy about it. The entertainment industry does it's damnedest to manipulate society instead of just telling a story.

Oh, you should accept all these people with different sexualities. YOU MUST ACCEPT THEM! THAT IS THE NEW RULE!
The entertainment industry is basically the only industry crazy woke-ish or politically driven people have to get their agenda and personal issues across the masses for attention.

In pretty much every other product line in life, the company sticks to price, feature, performance kind of strategies. There's no plot, characters, or hidden agendas. Selling a washing machine, bottles of olive oil or dining room table set are pretty hard to attach a warped gender, sexuality or skewed political spectrum brand strategy to. So no matter how left or right driven you are when it comes to personal or political issues, the company will say fuck off. No boss selling box sets of clothes hangers for closets is getting mangled up with someone's personal crisis.

So that's why you see so many hinged people in media. It's their last hope to get their message out. Even if they cant score a big job creating things for mass consumption or awareness, they'll also resort to Twitter to continue the crusade on a non-corporate one-on-one medium, or they do artsy freelance blogging where they can do what they want as few corporations will stand for it.

Last edited:

Krathoon

I remember long ago when Ellen DeGeneres came out on her sitcom. It totally killed her show.

She essentially did it the wrong way. It should have been this minor thing on the show.

Then she did her talk show and everyone was totally fine with it.

BouncyFrag

The Doctor up and abandoned his companion in the ‘Rogue’ episode to flirt with some guy he just met leading to him think that she was killed by one of the ridiculous bird monsters later on.

Till then, I had been indifferent to this season, but getting the Doctor so wrong with this shit writing has turned me off. RTD should be better at running things as he has done it before.
😐
Edit for clip of how good DW can be:

Last edited:

Krathoon

That is what is getting irritating about game reviewers. You have all these trans and gay reviewers popping up trying insert their politics into their material.

Part of why they do this is that they think the original shows brainwashed us into being evil racist/sexist/homophobes in the first place. They are trying to cleanse the world of their existence by remaking them in their image.

They see everything they don't like as a social construct that they can just deconstruct at will.

Take Davros, for example. RTD said he was uncomfortable with him being a 'wheelchair user' so he remade him as someone who could walk and made a disabled person a good guy. The fact is that being in a wheelchair is shit, not because of some 80s TV show but because it just is a disadvantage. Nothing is going to change that.

Krathoon

The whole Davros thing is silly. He is supposed to be disfigured from war.

It is also pretty obvious he experimented on himself. He is mentally ill.

Last edited:
Top Bottom