• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns HD Announced | Nintendo Direct 2024

The switch version, while 60fps, will be controlled by the higher latency joy cons (similar to Wii remote) and without 3D. For me the best version will still be the 3DS one.

AJUMP23

I should play Tropical freeze, this one is great, not buying it in HD though.

Last edited:

Danknugz

Don't care for returns, give me an hd collection of the trilogy on snes instead.
same, i think the last one i played was the one with diddy kong on SNES. those rare games blew my mind at the time even if pre rendered sprites, those silicon graphics were real 1337 at the time.

Neff

How so? It certainly doesn’t beat it in the soundtrack department.

The music is the one aspect of TF which is obviously massively superior. But the first game offers a stronger challenge, and for the most part I felt it was designed better. I prefer the Tiki Taks to the Snowmads, and the smooth level transitions vs TF's abrupt, almost random thematic curveballs. Not knocking TF, it's a damn good game, but the first one just edges it out imo.

Yep, dk2 was pinnacle.

Then dk1 and dk3 in third place.

The others are far away even if the composer is the same, at least for me.

Yeah I agree. Even though David wise did the music to tropical freeze, it wasn't as good as the original snes trilogy. There were some tracks that were very good though.

zokie

Gold Member
NCL list it as 9GB
you can redeem it via nintendo switch game vouchers now at japan eshop

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Seems they’ve up-scaled the 3DS version rather than the Wii version of the game (?). Plenty of stuff like simplified shadows and effects remain in this version it seems, which is unfortunate.

Played through Tropical Freeze recently.

Donkey Kong is legit difficult. As in, got more more angry than Souls.

I think I managed to get good at Souls games whereas precision platformers still pummel me.

I agree wholeheartedly. It's a love / hate relationship.

Recently played through the entirety of Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair (kind of a spiritual successor to DKC), and I was ready to throw my controller though a wall at certain points.

I managed to get through it eventually (after 30 attempts), but yeah these types of platformers make me way more irritated than something like the Souls or Ninja Gaiden games.

I still love them though, and I can't wait to tackle DKCR again!

(Thankfully I've never actually thrown a controller at a wall)

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Seems they’ve up-scaled the 3DS version rather than the Wii version of the game (?). Plenty of stuff like simplified shadows and effects remain in this version it seems, which is unfortunate.

Whoa… so it is not even better (in each and every way) than the Wii version and you bet they will charge $49-59+ for it… will Nintendo fans ever push back?

One of the best side scrolling platformers ever made. With that said, I doubt many people are going to double dip on this. Especially at $60.

I played the 3DS version on PC through Citra not long ago and it’s absolutely the ideal way to play the game. The absence of motion controls make it a better game.
The extreme visual downgrades on the 3DS port make it not great to look at, even if you're uprezzing via emulation.

diffusionx

Gold Member

Watch the video again, they're clearly not using the 3DS version. Look at the models, and they even point out that some of the effects not in the Switch game are in the 3DS one.

This game was ported to Nvidia Shield for China back in 2019, my guess is they dusted off that port (Shield has the same CPU as Switch). Who the hell knows who did it. Hopefully they fix up some of the issues.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Watch the video again, they're clearly not using the 3DS version. Look at the models, and they even point out that some of the effects not in the Switch game are in the 3DS one.

This game was ported to Nvidia Shield for China back in 2019, my guess is they dusted off that port (Shield has the same CPU as Switch). Who the hell knows who did it. Hopefully they fix up some of the issues.

Ah, yeah that’d make a lot more sense. Forgot they had a HD version of the game ready on the SHIELD.

SpiceRacz

The extreme visual downgrades on the 3DS port make it not great to look at, even if you're uprezzing via emulation.

It looked good to me.

Matt Leblanc Whatever GIF

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Apologies Robb, it is not just worse than the Wii version in some aspects, it is even worse than the 3DS one in others… :p.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Nintendo can't even get this right, apparently. They're really shitting the bed with these remasters all of a sudden. I'm guessing it'll still be better than the other versions, if only because the waggle is gone, but they're really phoning this the fuck in.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I have mixed feelings about this, I wanted to play this game before, I'll prob grab it, but the stupid flappy birds levels on DK:TF put me off, I can't even finish the game because there's one in the World in the last segment of the game, I haaaaaate them sooooo muuuuch! I with they were all optionals but nope. I guess Dk is just not for me.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Whoa… so it is not even better (in each and every way) than the Wii version and you bet they will charge $49-59+ for it… will Nintendo fans ever push back?
Well, that would only mean voting with the wallet, and that only happens if people don't like the product which will only happen if the product itself is bad because nobody is constantly comparing if product X is better than product Y that came out years ago or than product Z that is the re-launch so deciding which one is better in order to know if they should burn Nintendo HQ or not. That's only an internet fans thing.

Killer8

Can't excuse some of the missing effects but the differences in shading and lighting can just be because of a different approach to the rendering. The octopus on Wii for example is heavy on that sixth-gen phong shading while it's replaced with much more precise specular highlights on Switch. Nothing to do with anything being missing.

There is also a lot of complaining about shadows around characters when there is actually a lot more shadowing added to the Switch backgrounds:

Screenshot-2024-06-24-224255.png

"The shadows are all missing" - in this scene in particular... even though there is more shadowing in the environment behind Kong (plus better textures but... ya know):

Screenshot-2024-06-24-224614.png

Again, their approach to lighting the scene is probably different and makes the directional shadows from the Wii game not viable to implement in the same way. That particular cutscene also drops to 30fps likely because of the huge increase in fur shading on display during the close up (fur is just a flat texture on Wii).

Some of the other points about "hazier background" and "softer glow" can also be easily attributed to the SD resolution Wii footage they are comparing to.

This is the Switch background on the left versus the Wii game running on Dolphin in 4K:

Screenshot-2024-06-24-225531y.png
NXTJHdx.png

It's clear they've had to redo all of the backgrounds because the assets were extremely low res and built for standard def where you wouldn't notice.

Last edited:
Top Bottom