• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dr. Dre Threatens To Sue Sony Over Movie That Exposes His Past Beatings Of Women

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dr. Dre has delivered a clear threat over an upcoming TV movie that shows him beating his ex-GF senseless ... he's threatening to sue if it airs.

Sony Pictures is set to release "Surviving Compton: Dre, Suge & Michel'le" ... a film that depicts Dre as a woman beater. We've learned Dre's legal team fired off a cease and desist letter ... demanding that Sony back off, if it doesn't want to end up in court.

According to the letter, Dre flatly denies ever abusing Michel'le. It makes reference to the fact that they dated around 30 years ago and she never hinted at abuse or any type of violent behavior on his part. They also say she never sought medical treatment or filed a police report.

We're told Dre's character in the film is extremely violent -- attacking Michel'le by pulling her hair, punching her in the face and even pulling a gun on her.

Dre's attorneys have also warned Michel'le to back off.

The film is set for release next week.

http://www.tmz.com/2016/10/09/dr-dre-tv-movie-lawsuit-girlfriend-abuse/

interview that Dre doesn't want you to see
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuXaw4pfmzU

movie trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT16uxOEudU

Bleepey

Urhhhh this woman's voice is the worst. I am not sure why he is suing isn't the fact he hit women common knowledge. I mean didn't he talk about it in that song with Eminem, Guilty Conscience?

interviewer is cringey as fuck - "that gives a whole new meaning to 'beats by dre'"

interviewee sounds like she might has a screw loose.

Urhhhh this woman's voice is the worst. I am not sure why he is suing isn't the fact he hit women common knowledge. I mean didn't he talk about it in that song with Eminem, Guilty Conscience?

It's common knowledge the same way Bill Cosby's incidents were public knowledge before Hannibal Buress & the internet blew it up to a new level. He doesn't want this generation to find out, that would be a problem for him and maybe Apple.

Ridley327

He did, but that's about the last time he's actually acknowledged that it took place. Dre has been really hellbent on trying to sanitize his past, which was especially evident in Straight Outta Compton. I get that he's not that guy anymore, but you don't get to choose how everyone remembers you, especially the ones that you may have abused in some way.

Izuna

Banned
How presidential

edit: why am I watching Japanese TV?

edit2: K, I didn't watch Straight Outta Compton yet because my small circle of other people who would see it with me either hated gangster culture or talked about how it omit these details. Perhaps if this movie gets great reviews I can watch them back to back (in whichever order makes sense)

He legit did a song with Em where they talk about him slapping Dee Barnes, and now he's trying to pretend he's a saint?

C'Mon Dre, you ain't fooling nobody.

Sony could have trouble in court with this though, so I wouldn't be surprised if they back down.

see5harp

I feel like it's a much better look to just accept the fact that you were a different person at that point in your life. You came out as a better person in the end.

Kopite

I suppose now that Dre's a much bigger businessman than a producer/rapper he's previous crimes aren't something he wants to be associated with. Tough, you can't pick and choose to bring these things up only when they suit you.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
That was the other incident Straight Outta tried to gloss over.

They whitewash that shit over with 5 finishes on top. I still feel like it's a damn shame that it was an Easy-E Biopic re-purposed to an NWA one, when the actor and material they had for E was fantastic. With Cube and Dre lacking.

He legit did a song with Em where they talk about him slapping Dee Barnes, and now he's trying to pretend he's a saint?

You went from a Rapper with a Label to manage, to one the Board of Apple and head of the biggest Audio line in the world. You don't play with that shit anymore.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I am not sure why he is suing isn't the fact he hit women common knowledge.

Yes, exactly. And he semi-"apologized" for it, but he never has fully admitted to it.

Apathy

Sony could have trouble in court with this though, so I wouldn't be surprised if they back down.

Yeah, this.

It's common knowledge the same way Bill Cosby's incidents were public knowledge before Hannibal Buress & the internet blew it up to a new level. He doesn't want this generation to find out, that would be a problem for him and maybe Apple.

well if it is true, then what case does he have against sony?

This is weird as it used to be a thing for rappers to brag about smacking bitches and ho's in their music. Dre can be accused of this too. Why hide it? It's right there in his music.

7threst

Good, Dr. Dre hasn't been very nice in the past to say the least. Straight Outta Compton really ignored that.

...but man, watching the interview with Michelle had me bursted out laughing when she starts to talk. That voice....

Haha you have profited off the objectification of women for years. Eat your damn cereal man.

It wasn't just Dre or NWA. It was the whole West Coast gangsta rap scene that took place between the late '80s to the early '00s. Even the post gangsta rap did this too. It was a part of the entire scene, really.

Apathy

This is weird as it used to be a thing for rappers to brag about smacking bitches and ho's in their music. Dre can be accused of this too. Why hide it? It's right there in his music.

Well in a lot of cases rappers will argue that what they say in a song isn't something they actually do. Many aren't actual killers or shot a person but will sing about it.

In Dre's case though, he had beat women, gotten sued for it and went to court for it.

On the Dee Barnes incident:

As Dr. Dre explained the incident: "People talk all this shit, but you know, somebody fuck with me, I’m gonna fuck with them. I just did it, you know. Ain’t nothing you can do now by talking about it. Besides, it ain’t no big thing—I just threw her through a door." Barnes sued in February 1991, telling reporter Alan Light: "They’ve grown up with the mentality that it’s okay to hit women, especially black women. Now there’s a lot of kids listening and thinking it’s okay to hit women who get out of line."[3] In February, Barnes filed assault charges and brought a $22.75 million lawsuit against Dr. Dre, who pleaded no contest to the assault. He was fined $2,500, placed on two years’ probation, and ordered to perform 240 hours of community service and produce an anti-violence public service announcement.[5] The lawsuit was settled out of court.[6]

In this case there is no way he can argue hes never done it. I believe this incident in the TV movie is one that didn't see the light so he would rather it not come out (or the off chance he didn't actually hit the lady this time and it's fabricated he doesn't want his named smeared through the mud again). With his background, it is very likely he did it and this version is the truth, but without more evidence it's really a toss up.

well if it is true, then what case does he have against sony?

Dre has never been charged with any crimes related to domestic violence that I'm aware of.

His lawyers would argue the contents of this is all Hearsay, and possibly libel/slander as well.

EDIT: Looks like I might be wrong since Dee Barnes did file charges against him.

mreddie

It wasn't just Dre or NWA. It was the whole West Coast gangsta rap scene that took place between the late '80s to the early '00s. Even the post gangsta rap did this too. It was a part of the entire scene, really.

Where did it just calmed down? Drake?

Well in a lot of cases rappers will argue that what they say in a don't isn't something they actually do. Many aren't actual killers or shot a person but will sing about it.

In Dre's case though, he had beat women, gotten sued for it and went to court for it.

Oh I agree that a lot of rappers from that era were just posturing. But there were also the artists that came from crack dealer/ gang related backgrounds who actually did do the things that they sung about.

Where did it just calmed down? Drake?

Maybe mid to late 2000's? The California gangsta rap scene faded out after it became to commercialized by record studios and over saturated with "me too" artists. Record companies could also be accused of pushing this kind of behavior on rappers too, just to generate street cred to sell more albums. I believe the old term was "studio gangstas".

Michel'le has openly talked about it on R&B Divas every season she was on. She even went as far to say that he said he'd never apologize because Dre feels she turned their son against them (Dre beat her in front of their son which is why their son refuses to deal with him).

Maybe he's suing NOW because he can't sue her to say it never happened, but he can better sue a faceless organization for using his name and likeness.

People still think rappers have done all the stuff they rap about? Really? If that were the case Eminem would be serving life in prison with no parole

gdt

He can't sweep all this under the rug, we all know it happeneded. He's said as much before as well

But holy shit what is going on with this woman's voice?

People still think rappers have done all the stuff they rap about? Really? If that were the case Eminem would be serving life in prison with no parole

Well of course a lot of rappers were just projecting, going tongue and cheek, posing, or just emulating other rappers styles. But there were also rappers who did do a lot of the things that they were up front about. It was a mixed bag.

Dre has never been charged with any crimes related to domestic violence that I'm aware of.

His lawyers would argue the contents of this is all Hearsay, and possibly libel/slander as well.

EDIT: Looks like I might be wrong since Dee Barnes did file charges against him.
in which case, i really don't understand what dre's case would be. how'd he win?

Looks like the Streisand effect, good, let him try and block it, it's only going to bring more attention to the issue. If he can make a movie that influences the public opinion of himself then why can't someone else? Come across as really egotistical, as did the random masturbatory insertion of Beats by Dre into the otherwise dramatic ending of Straight outta Compton.

But holy shit what is going on with this woman's voice?

She had a nasal deformity since birth. It's part of the reason she can sing in that unique voice she has. She was bullied a lot when she was younger and grew more fond of her uniqueness of the voice because of it and never got it fixed, even when getting her nose fixed for other things such as the abuse.

I wouldn't call it common knowledge, Straight Outta Compton would have you believe he didn't even talk to women until just as the group was breaking up. Dre's trying to bury it, but this year has ignited multiple conversations about letting celebrities get away with abuse against women, so whether or not he likes it he's going to have to face fresh revulsion to his past behavior.

"Are you gonna take advice from somebody who slapped Dee Barnes?" was a damn line in one of his songs.

Come on now Dre you can't have it both ways.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
This movie's automatically gonna be better than Straight Outta Compton then, I guess.

And probably do a fraction of the business. Then again Dre making a big deal about it might have the effect of giving it press in a manner he never intended.

Good.

It was so annoying when the Straight Outta Compton movie happened, and people on radio and interviews were fawning over these figures as masters of musical genres, while ignoring all the sexist bullshit they were promoting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom