• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma Online revealed - PS3/PS4/PC, MMO-ish, F2P, 4-player parties

Well, I hope this works out well for them. They've been really risk averse lately so I can appreciate this.

I'll give it a try. Also very happy to see it's on PC. If it's successful, would it be too unreasonable to expect a PC port of the original?

Okay, I looked at all the details.

Title: Dragon's Dogma Online
Platforms: PS3/PS4/PC
Genre: Action
Price: Free 2 Play (With microtransactions)
Producer: Minae Matsukawa
Director: Kento Kinoshita
Executive Producer: Hiroyuki Kobayashi

The game is an online game with a full open world, a lobby area supporting up to 100 players, and feature ongoing content updates, timed events, etc. Players can form parties of up to 4 players or pawns, and engage on quests. There will also be raid-like events which support up to 8 players at once. There will be quick matching as well.

Sounds pretty much like an online only MMO type game without the full MMO gameplay. Similar to stuff like PSO and Guild Wars.

thank you duckroll.

this sounds awesome

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
don't forget to make them a child too because ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

on the other hand, my pawn was a big buff lady named archer who was actually a warrior who got hired a ton

I made my archer pawn a kid with red hair and freckles. I was the dark brooding protector, they were my ward. If DC comics can do it so can I.

Also if they are putting their eggs behind this, can an HD version of DD really be out of the question?

Dayum Sony's on a roll

tqnzij.gif

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Oh? PlayStation/PC only again? In that case I request they bring over/port Monster Hunter Online to PS4/PC with cross play to the west since Capcom seems to be with Sony so far and they ported Monster Hunter Frontier to PS Vita why not hive us Monster Hunter Online too?

Endo Punk

The fact Itsuno not working on it pleases me greatly. Really hope for a DMC5 announcement this year even if just a teaser, hell just make it a logo. Haven't bought a Capcom game since there terrible attitude towards gamers started in the 2010s up to this gen where they seemingly are trying to rebuild their reputation. Too much power given to their western branch is the reason they are in such a dire financial state this gen. If they hope to bounce back they need to become what they were in the 6th gen.

For those people complaining about F2P:

I for one am going to probably drop around $60 in Microtransactions on this game, if it's fun enough. If that's what it takes to "unlock" the game, i am completely fine with it, since that's what i would have (happily) paid if they went with a traditional model.

Well that's the big question, will $60 be enough to 'unlock' the game? If I'm allowed to base an opinion upon past experience, I seriously doubt it. But we'll see I suppose.

Seanspeed

Banned
For those people complaining about F2P:

I for one am going to probably drop around $60 in Microtransactions on this game, if it's fun enough. If that's what it takes to "unlock" the game, i am completely fine with it, since that's what i would have (happily) paid if they went with a traditional model.
Except that's not how these F2P games typically work. There is no 'pay this much money to unlock specific % of game' system in these usually. They are designed to incentivize continued spending. Like, the whole game is already 'unlocked', but perhaps certain resources are purposefully made scarce. You can grind and 'earn' those resources or you can pay money to skip that and save time. That's more along the lines of how these work. They make it more frustrating or difficult than necessary so you ultimately pay cash to alleviate these entirely purposefully placed flaws.

Its bullshit.

TheHall

Except that's not how these F2P games typically work. There is no 'pay this much money to unlock specific % of game' system in these usually. They are designed to incentivize continued spending.

At some point you are still getting the "full experience" though. Anything after that is just customisation or "more of kinda the same".

jediyoshi

Assuming that's how the game is parceled out. If they had structured this specific game to be that way though, the f2p model makes even less sense and would be more distracting. It's a likelier scenario that they look to monetize this out in ways that every other game does.

Visceir

Terra Battle made me believe that f2p can be done right. I don't have much confidence in Capcom tho.

Will still play!

Varth

Except that's not how these F2P games typically work. There is no 'pay this much money to unlock specific % of game' system in these usually. They are designed to incentivize continued spending. Like, the whole game is already 'unlocked', but perhaps certain resources are purposefully made scarce. You can grind and 'earn' those resources or you can pay money to skip that and save time. That's more along the lines of how these work. They make it more frustrating or difficult than necessary so you ultimately pay cash to alleviate these entirely purposefully placed flaws.

Its bullshit.

Not for me. You can play it, and in due time (when the grind ramps up) decide for yourself the kind of budget you want to allocate (spending in one solution or over time) depending on the kind of microtransaction management, and the appeal of the game.
Also, of all of Capcpom's properties, this seems like one of the most logical choices for a move like that. RAID mode and Mercenaries from RE would work too.

Sonicbug

I'm okay with this assuming it plays the same and it does come west, and that the transactions are done right. (GW2 cosmetic/convience, not mobile 'energy resource time gate' bullshit.)

Do the right thing Capcom.

Its bullshit.

Well, I'm glad you've already played this one and know exactly how the F2P is going to work.

The rest of us who perhaps aren't as apprehensive to the idea of F2P, or even the idea of how F2P will function in this game, given the fact that it plays like Dragons Dogma, can continue to be excited.

I wonder if this is skipping XB1 because of moneyhats, F2P, MMO, cross platform(?), or a combination of all of them.

I'm interested as long as Capcom treats the microtransactions like GW, DAI, or Warframe. I'm afraid, though, that they'll put serious roadblocks in the game that can only be defeated by money.

Its bullshit.

Right, I've never been impressed by a f2p game. Making the game purposefully frustrating in order to get you to buy things isn't my idea of fun. Not all of them do it to a terrible extent, but I've never enjoyed dealing with microtransactions in any form. At best, that kind of thing only ever ends up being slightly tolerable IMO.

TheHall

Assuming that's how the game is parceled out. If they had structured this specific game to be that way though, the f2p model makes even less sense and would be more distracting. It's a likelier scenario that they look to monetize this out in ways that every other game does.

I am a big fan of Mass Effect Co-Op and that game allows me to spend $60 in boosters to unlock almost every class and most of the guns.

This gives me the full "shooting experience" but after that i can grind my face of to get every gun to level X.

Spending more time/money would only make my game marginally more efficient, which is a pretty solid model.

Based on DD's previous MT scheme, it will probably work about the same.
You can either grind Rift Crystals to transmute gear, or buy them from the online store.

Some people have disposable hours, some people have disposable income....

Lacrus

I think the only reason its not coming to xb1/360 would be because it would be behind a paywall. While the playstation platform and PC would not.

Karak

I wonder if this is skipping XB1 because of moneyhats, F2P, MMO, or a combination of all of them.

I'm interested as long as Capcom treats the microtransactions like GW, DAI, or Warframe. I'm afraid, though, that they'll put serious roadblocks in the game that can only be defeated by money.

Its skipping 360 as well which is even more troublesome when you consider they already made the original for it. Just damn odd.

jediyoshi

Also, of all of Capcpom's properties, this seems like one of the most logical choices for a move like that. RAID mode and Mercenaries from RE would work too.

Except raid and mercenaries are completely self contained and aren't strung together by a larger narrative. If you're already conceding the idea that a F2P DD can't even have anything resembling its original structure, then of course you'd be more open to the idea.

Grief.exe

Damn, Capcom is getting pretty cozy with Sony.

Hey, as long as Sony isn't willing to pay for utter exclusivity and allow Capcom to continually release on PC as well, I'm fine with it.

Oh? PlayStation/PC only again? In that case I request they bring over/port Monster Hunter Online to PS4/PC with cross play to the west since Capcom seems to be with Sony so far and they ported Monster Hunter Frontier to PS Vita why not hive us Monster Hunter Online too?

Monster Hunter Online is actually developed and published by a different company entirely expressly for the purpose of releasing in China. Valve does the same thing with Counter-Strike in China.
Good chance we won't see it outside of that region.

fuck this f2p, give me DD remastered on PS4 or the pc version.

I would much prefer PC/PS4/XBO ports of the original.

raven777

some developer interviews from gematsu

In an interview with Famitsu, producer Matsukawa and director Kinoshita share the following comments:

-Development started with the basic desire of taking Dragon’s Dogma and making it playable in an online environment.
-The game couldn’t be made in tandem with Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen and was therefore pushed back.
-Capcom contemplated a monthly fee, but chose freeo-to-play in the end in an attempt to get more players to try it out.
-Though paid items are present, the game will still feel like a proper Dragon’s Dogma game.
-The story is completely new and there are no character connections. (Editor’s note: We take it this means no character connections to the previous game.)
-The game world will initially be the size of what players have come to expect from -previous games, but will expand over time to be three times larger in scope.
-Parties are formed in the lobby, after which players depart for the field.
-An effort has been made to emphasize the strengths and traits of individual classes, but -it’s not balanced so strictly that players need to be super meticulous about party makeup.

Capcom producer Yoshinori Ono also adds that the game’s development is benefiting from the cooperation of Sony Computer Entertainment.

http://gematsu.com/2015/01/dragons-dogma-online-free-play-title-ps4-ps3-pc

jediyoshi

I am a big fan of Mass Effect Co-Op and that game allows me to spend $60 in boosters to unlock almost every class and most of the guns.

This gives me the full "shooting experience" but after that i can grind my face of to get every gun to level X.

Spending more time/money would only make my game marginally more efficient, which is a pretty solid model.

Based on DD's previous MT scheme, it will probably work about the same.
You can either grind Rift Crystals to transmute gear, or buy them from the online store.

Some people have disposable hours, some people have disposable income....

Did you not notice the part where you specifically cited Mass Effect's multiplayer mode and not its single player campaign? Which element of a new Dragon's Dogma being f2p is it exactly that you think is questionable to people? It shouldn't be a given that a new game in this series should completely wipe the original game's slate clean.

wapplew

I wonder if this is skipping XB1 because of moneyhats, F2P, MMO, cross platform(?), or a combination of all of them.

I'm sure it will come to Xbox when they anounce it to the west.

Usobuko

Banned
If it plays like Dragon Dogma and the class transitions can be done without cash items, I would be interested in this.

An-Det

Assuming the gameplay is essentially the same then I'll totally give it a shot. The mmo-ish aspects are intriguing, so it'll be down to the F2P aspects. Kind of strange to me that they haven't done a port of the DD:DA to the new consoles/PC to raise interest in DD Online, though.

Top Bottom