• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA kills its Online Pass program

HoodWinked

lFU1t3A.gif

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
What? No, it's "Run Faith (Pause), Run.

It's correct already.

You're not, like, running a Faith. You're issuing the command to run, then clarifying the object of your command, Faith, then reissuing your command to run.

Commas need to be between those three things.

On topic, I'd like to draw everyone's attention to the fact that crazy buttocks on a train posted in this thread, which may or may not mean something:

Discontinues online pass

Employs online-only authentication

Q39iTo5.jpg

iceatcs

I don't. I think it means they'll gladly sell you a code when you try to use a used game, and then send part of that fee to the game publisher. Meanwhile Gamestop gets to stay in business, albeit charging less for used games.

It is pretty much like online pass but a whole game pass.

The EA cycle at work - get shit on for many years, make changes, have a good couple of years, get arrogant, get shit on many years, make changes, ad infinitum.

Before, it was 2008 when they got smart with their new good IPs like Dead Space and Mirrors Edge and the EA Partners program, then got dumb with online passes, server shutdowns, always online and too much DLC.

Now we are seeing the humble EA again who need to win back our trust. The Sims 4 having an offline mode and this are good starts, but I know they won't keep it up.

Zabant

PLAYER FEEDBACK?

AHAHAHAHA, oh my. This was because nobody was buying DLC. You need to get them interested in online and have as many people in the online community as possible for DLC to work, this has nothing to do with appeasing the fans.

Kallor

If they keep this up I might even start buying EA games again.

But who needs online pass when they're going to microtransaction everything in their games?

"You can beat the entire game! With only one weapon and you can only open half the doors."

And so the world breathes a sigh of relief...

Though I'm sure they already have something worse lined up to take its place or to make it redundant

And as others have said, it's the EA cycle and it has been going on for over 20 years, I stopped supporting them 2 years ago.

Eusis

Maybe they did a cost-benefit and realized nobody bought the online passes?
It's probably something that makes some sense under two condition: 1. all DLC is free, and 2. online play itself is not behind a platform wide paywall. The former not holding true means you're actively blocking off a possible revenue stream out of shortsightedness (or spite if you want to assume malicious intent) as you get fewer people actively playing and naturally fewer people able to buy and use that DLC, and the latter not being true just makes it seem like a kick in the crotch when you're already paying to play games online period.
The EA cycle at work - get shit on for many years, make changes, have a good couple of years, get arrogant, get shit on many years, make changes, ad infinitum.

Before, it was 2008 when they got smart with their new good IPs like Dead Space and Mirrors Edge and the EA Partners program, then got dumb with online passes, server shutdowns, always online and too much DLC.

Now we are seeing the humble EA again who need to win back our trust. The Sims 4 having an offline mode and this are good starts, but I know they won't keep it up.
Yeah, it really does seem they have this wax and waning cycle, though at least it's a good start to new ownership.

why bother with online passes when the games server shuts down within a year anyway? that fact alone is reason not to buy used EA games.

Bleepey

They saw Activision were making a killing on DLC. Online passes aren't great for selling people DLC. Same reason why Injustice doesn't have an online pass but MK9 did. They might have been able to negotiate a deal with retailers as well.

Alex

Can't sell maps and DLC and things across your retention when people don't wanna drop the bucks to go online and get hooked to begin with. There's a reason Activision never used this, that reason being that Activision knows what it's doing and EA doesn't.

Harlock

Is like word onlise in phantasy star online. Now all the games of ea will need be activated online. So online pass dont "exist" anymore.

I'm pretty sure the original PR release for the online pass said that it was something that gamers had clamored for and that EA was just giving gamers what they wanted. Can't blame EA for trying to give gamers what they wanted.

Noirulus

OMFG YES

NOW I CAN PLAY MY COPY OF FIFA 13 ONLINE IF I WERE TO BRING IT OVER TO MY FRIEND'S HOUSE

edit: Fuck, my post sounds like sarcasm but I really do mean it!

EA broke the secret a week early, the MS conference will say there are no more used games D: D:

noooooo

but good on EA.........for now.

somethings gonna happen

Am I the only one who didn't mind online passes? I always bought my games new. Didn't ever feel like the $5 you saved buying the used copy was worth it. The only problem that I had with it was rentals.

ElRenoRaven

I'm glad to see this. Just shows you that we do have power. If enough vote with their wallets companies have no choice but to listen. Now hopefully other companies will follow EA's lead on this.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
They're discontinuing it so they can reap DLC sales from used copies.

It's what they should do. ESPECIALLY EA because they have so much DLC. It's why Call of Duty doesn't have an online pass. But I could still see this as something new that's on the next-gen console system level, so there will still be a pass, it'll just be accessed differently.

Probably in half of the games I purchased that had an online pass I never actually redeemed the code. Why? Because if I were to ever resell the game later on eBay I could ask for more since my copy was "Like New" with an unused code. Their system to promote new game sales did nothing for me but increase my final sale price to some guy in another state. Example: I sold my copy of Medal of Honor for the same price I originally bought it.

I have always felt online passes are foolish, the objective of any multiplayer game should be to encourage as much usage as possible. Even if the people using the game didn't pay for it, there's a good chance they will next time. Locking people out of your multiplayer will isolate and kill your online community and lessen the value of your brand.

So in theory it will attract additional revenue, in practice I would bet it makes your customers mad, makes people abandon your brand and kills your future sales.

Look at FTP, the whole model is based on the theory that an incremental additional user costs you basically zero and that if you mine enough users you can get some addicted to the point they will fork over huge amounts of cash on what amounts to DLC. That will never happen if you lock out customers, or worse lock out paying customers who actually supported your brand with cash (even if YOU didn't get it cough* gamestop cough*).

"Player feedback"

BULL. SHIT.

something has to have gone wrong with the whole system for this to be taken off. Something to do with profits probably. maybe even player populations inside the game.

Top Bottom