• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Earth Sets a Temperature Record for the Third Straight Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

mackattk

Well, we are slowly inching closer and closer to the sun, right?

Rlgr8Oq.gif

Lothar

Banned
Winter in Louisiana consisted of the January 7th weekend and that's it. It's otherwise been 70 to 80 degrees since.

Yep, we did not get a Winter or even a Fall this year. I have to remind myself that it's January because when I walk outside, it feels like it should be April or May.

http://www.noaa.gov/news/2016-was-2nd-warmest-year-on-record-for-us

"The average U.S. temperature in 2016 was 54.9 degrees F (2.9 degrees F above average), which ranked as the second warmest year in 122 years of record-keeping. This is the 20th consecutive year the annual average temperature exceeded the average. Every state in the contiguous U.S. and Alaska experienced above-average annual temperatures, according to scientists from NOAA's National Centers for Environmental Information."

Currently in the 50s most of this week in Pittsburgh (might hit the 60s). Typically it should be in the 30s or lower, with some sort of snow gains. Instead, we have been getting a lot of rain.

I'm confused. Thread title says it set a record this year?

EDIT: Nvm, U.S. temp I see.

Neo C.

I think it's clear that reducing CO2 won't be enough. We need mass CO2 capturing programme. I mean, the tech is available, we just need to politely ask billionaires to put the money to work.

Skinpop

There's no doubt of warming, but who's to say it's man made and not a natural cycle of the planet? We don't know what weather patterns were like 1000 years ago, maybe it's something that happens on its own?
scientists can guess, using evidence found in nature such as thousands of years of accumulated ice. the data says earth should be in a cycle of cooling, so we are likely having an even bigger impact on climate than most people realize. So think about the fact that climate science is built upon the same foundation as all other science. you don't go around doubting that the cpu in your computer works right? But do you appreciate the fact that it only does so because it's based on knowledge gained through exact same scientific process that climate change science also is subject to? in fact you probably couldn't walk more than two feet without interacting with millions of hours of accumulated science in one way or another. So it's illogical to accept modern life and at the same time question established science when the former is a direct consequence of the latter.

see that spike on the right? the rate of change is insane. the science of man made climate change fits the data, nothing else come close to explaining what is happening.

KHarvey16

There's no doubt of warming, but who's to say it's man made and not a natural cycle of the planet? We don't know what weather patterns were like 1000 years ago, maybe it's something that happens on its own?

We identify those natural mechanisms and know they aren't responsible now.

RM8

Even if we didn't know (we do), it's super dangerous and not doing anything about it is beyond idiotic.

Bluenoser

As sad as I am for the future, it's been kind of nice for broke me in the present not having crazy high heating bills.

Unfortunately it's that kind of logic that causes businesses and politicians to ignore the warning signs and continue on as if nothing is wrong. But think much larger scale than your household heating bills.

They will deny and deny that a problem exists if there is money to be made, and that saddens me.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
No snow covering the ground here in Eastern Canada, just grass and some half melted snow piles...it was 8-10c for three days last week.

Look in Florida it doesn't get cold I get it. But damn I was sweating during Christmas with being 80+ degrees. Why was I sweating during Christmas?

This stuff is scary man :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom