• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: "Power struggle: the real differences between PS4 and Xbox One performance"

A lot of bombshells dropped in that Edge article.

As well as confirming the performance gulf between the two consoles, the big one for me was the confirmation MS will be pissed at publishers if they don't gimp the PS4 versions so they're the same as the Xbone. Something that has long been suggested on GAF, but without actual sources confirming it.

Yeah, this is a pretty big deal. A significant part of the console's extra power may go unused, which would be a shame for PS4 owners.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her

As well as confirming the performance gulf between the two consoles, the big one for me was the confirmation MS will be pissed at publishers if they don't gimp the PS4 versions so they're the same as the Xbone. Something that has long been suggested on GAF, but without actual sources confirming it.

The thing is, there is competitive pressure from other publishers and even competition with first party titles to deincentivize such actions.

If one gimps it's games for the sake of "parity", it leaves them open to having a competitor or the first party devs to make their games look far inferior due to being more willing to push things on a platform.

Interesting times ahead.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Because the most powerful console always has the best games and outsells the competition....Oh wait that never happens.

In this case. It will.

I don't ever remember the more powerful console being cheaper. The PS4 just has too much going for it.

Kuro

I like how they try to give the Xbone an advantage with "procedural generation" and completely forget to mention PS4's GPGPU capabilities.Some of the comments about enforcing platform parity is worrying though. I really hope the Xbox doesn't hold multiplatform games back this gen.

Suirrad

Man, I really hope this doesn't happen. I guess it's up to first party studios to show just what these consoles can really do.

Who Cares? Power meant nothing this gen. And as we see every generation, it is the quality of the games. I will get both though that way I have the best of both worlds.

Xater

They need 8GB RAM and went with slow DD3. ESRAM is supposed to compensate for that. Sony initially was going for 4GB gDDR5 but since prices have dropped, they went with 8GB. Luck was on Sony's side.

So they cheaped out so they could still pack a Kinect in there. At least that is what I would assume. I bet without the "smart" idea to have a Kinect in there with every console some of the design decision would have been different.

I just hope publishers realize that while it's a political issue you're better off pissing off Microsoft than you are millions of gamers who control what they purchase with their wallet.

If any of you stick out like a sore thumb on having equal multi-platform games into year one (not launch) it'll be pretty obvious what is going on in most cases.

Finalizer

I'm actually a bit surprised about the "It's a pain to use the ESRAM" bit though, given that even back with the 360 you had the EDRAM, and I don't recall any devs having issue with that.

Might lend some credence to this post if its true that the ESRAM usage or whatever isn't, uh, automated like in the 360. But then I'd wonder if that's down to the whole "Xbone SDK development is behind compared to PS4" more than anything, and that'll just have to be sorted out post-launch, leaving early Xbone multiplats to run a bit worse compared to down the line.

[/talesfrommyass]

Yeap, sounds about right.

ITS THAT FUCKING BIRD

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Who Cares? Power meant nothing this gen. And as we see every generation, it is the quality of the games. I will get both though that way I have the best of both worlds.

Try telling that to anyone who tried to play Skyrim on the PS3 ;)

cripterion

I really would like to know who are the contacts, developpers or sources that said this.

The only next gen title I really want right now is NBA2K14 and if these differences reflected in the game, that would definitely help me sway in deciding which next gen console I purchase first.

You're right. 360's power advantage didn't mean anything this gen.

You know what did matter? Price. And it mattered a lot. MS is behind Sony in every metric this time.

IvorB

No, no, no... that guy came on here and said a bunch of stuff about this. He totally debunked this rumour. I mean, Microsoft invented Direct X, people! This can't be true...

Number45

I really hope this is bullshit.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
"without optimisation for either console"

Of course the console with the greater raw power will do better without optimisation. That's why optimisation exists...

Hoo-doo

Banned
Because the most powerful console always has the best games and outsells the competition....Oh wait that never happens.

When both consoles are equally appealing in featureset and both consoles have plenty of games coming, but one is 100$ cheaper and receives the best looking and best running versions of all the multiplatform games (IE. 90% of games today), i'd say it's not that bad of a deal.

Your assumption that "more powerful" equals "less sales" is completely nonsensical.
It's about price, general consumer appeal and games. Lots of games.

Proof is in the pudding. PS3 was supposed to make 360 look like Xbox 1.5.

We all know how that turned out

With the best looking games of the generation of coming out if Sony first party studios? With PS3 exclusives completely shitting on 360 games graphically?

What's your point?

Besides the two situation aren't remotely the same. The PS3 and 360 had completely different architectures. The PS4 and Xbone have very simular architectures but one is a lot more capable graphics wise then the other.

Proof is in the pudding. PS3 was supposed to make 360 look like Xbox 1.5.

We all know how that turned out

People keep saying that, its not even remotely the same situation, PS4 and XBone both have same CPU and the same family of GPU architecture, they can be directly compared unlike last generation.

Ushae

Banned
So most 3rd party games will be built on the lowest denominator and then ported to PS4 for ease of development? Just like last gen I suppose, doesn't surprise me it makes sense for business reasons.

It would be nice if Edge stated who these sources were so we can see which are big/small studio and 1st/3rd party.

CLEEK

Man, I really hope this doesn't happen. I guess it's up to first party studios to show just what these consoles can really do.

If the PS4 becomes the new PS2 - the defacto platform of its gen - then we have nothing to worry about. Come on gamers, do the right thing. Buy a PS4 and let devs push it to its full potential.

Synless

It'll be seriously fucking annoying if the PS4 ends up with gimped versions just for parity.
So will I, it didn't happen the other way around this gen. Fuck ruffling feathers, it is their fault they released inferior hardware, let them burn.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
It'll be seriously fucking annoying if the PS4 ends up with gimped versions just for parity.

I honestly would be fine if the extra power just prevents framerate drops, tearing, bad aliasing, and non-native resolutions, although developers might compromise on 1080p across the board anyway.

Your totally right. 9 times out of 10 tge cheaper console always outsells the competition.

.... oh right PS4 is cheaper as well.

Is this the first time the clearly more powerful system was also the cheapest? Seems like a bit of a historical abnormality

Perkel

Banned
Or the devs will spend most of their time optimzing the fuck out of the Xbox One version just to get some sort of platform parity.

Or just drop resolution to point where game will run stable 30fps and leave it as it is.
If they will be enforced to make game 1600x900 game then they will drop some effects and stuff.

I predict that in coming generation dynamic resolution will be a much more used thing also even on PS4 some games will be less than 1920x1080

Why the hell did MS go for such a solution then? PS3 already showed that developers hate working around not straight forward architecture.
Well the 360 uses ESRAM right? It might be more complicated than the PS4 but any multi plat developer should be familiar with it from working with the 360. That statement reeks of FUD.

Everything else though, eeesshhh

I guess my next gen console is going to be a PS4 then...

Honestly MS. Why did you go so cheap and fuck it up. The person(s) who decided to not go for high end graphics should be fired.

They didn't cheap out, they made a catastrophic mistake when designing the architecture that cost them a lot. They had to spend their sillicon budget in order to eliminate the DDR3 bandiwth bottleneck, so they had to cut the GPU performance.

So it's safe to say that any PS4 game that isn't graphically blowing an X1 is devs being lazy? All these dev reports make it sound like that.

PJV3

Sounds like the PS4 is going to be chilling this generation, and the Xbox is gonna be working flat out.

The big fan in the Xbox is going to be very useful.

Maledict

Publishers have been releasing demonstrably inferior ports on the PS3 for the entirety of this generation without any blowback - interesting implication that MS is more pro-active in working with the industry to try and prevent that and use its 'muscle'.

Not entirely sure what leverage MS have though to force publishers down this road - and if they do, why Sony didnt do it this generation to prevent disasters like Skyrim happening on their console.

Airnardo17

Neo Member
The average person wont know or wont care. I have friends who are buying Xbox 1 simply for Titan Fall. I disagree with them but thats where peoples heads are

"without optimisation for either console"

Of course the console with the greater raw power will do better without optimisation. That's why optimisation exists...

Of course. That is kinda the point.

Optimization does not necessarily mean what you think it means.
You cannot squeeze more performance from something when it is not there. You tone down LODs, reduce res, create lower detailed meshes, turn off some sampling, etc...

This is especially true now that they are basically all using the same hardware.

9At8.gif

Top Bottom