• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Edge Special List: The 100 Greatest Video Games

Negaduck

No DDR game at all? I know not everyone played it but its easily one of the top 100 if only for the influence it had on music games.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I know they said their standards were more good relative to contemporary titles rather than historic significance but uh what the hell?

No Metal Gear Solid 3 or 2 or 1????????????????????????????
Starcraft II being mentioned in any capacity? When broodwar is better in every regard besides visuals.
No warcraft or diablo 2?
No baldurs gate???
No deus ex??
No planescape??????
Only mentioning RE4?
No rayman 2?
If you're gonna mention battlefield why mention 4 when you could just mention bad company 2 or bf2?
No pro skater at all?
Driveclub instead of gran tourismo?
Is dark souls realllly the best game of all time?
It isn't even the best game in it's own franchise.

I just I dont get this list. Some genres, notably sports games are woefully underrepresented. I don't even understand the top 5 at all. I personally don't know what the top 5 greatest video games ever made would look like but it's certainly not those 5.

Honestly if you just took the highest rated metacritic games it would probably compile into a better list.

This actually make me a little salty.

And im not even concerned about the order of the list. Because most of the order is fucked up.

pablito

I love a lot of those games, but that list is a little too modern.

One Final Fantasy game on the list and they put XII

2885718-8800263791-laugh.gif

XII is in my top 4, which are almost all interchangeable except #1 (Tactics). I love that they picked it.

eso76

Wait, you mean you disagree then, right? You said you fully support. Oh. You mean you support the inclusion of newer games. Well, I see what you mean. I hadn't thought about it that way. I think there's such a thing as a healthy distance, and as you said there's also such a thing as too much distance. Something so recent I feel like is still in a hype cycle that isn't necessarily indicative of long-term feelings about a game. Heck, Bloodborne's DLC isn't even out yet!

I don't know, I think we're often too attached to what certain games represented *when they were released*, as opposed to the entertainment value they would offer if played today.
I am not sure what criteria a list issued today should follow.

Your #1 is a game where even most people who like it are honest enough to admit the gameplay is shit? My top 100 would be filled with RPGs but FF9 probably wouldn't be on it for that reason. The battles were so slow and easy and bad.

I'm apart of a lot of Final Fantasy communities the one here and about 10 Final Fantasy dedicated sites and not one member there calls the gameplay shit or bad. I never found it slow like a lot of people have, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. That game changed was the focus of my past, my present, and my future, be wary of your words.

El Topo

I'm apart of a lot of Final Fantasy communities the one here and about 10 other Final Fantasy dedicated sites and not one member there calls the gameplay shit or bad. I never found it slow like a lot of people have, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's bad.

You haven't played the PAL version then.

Monocle

Nice to see Bayonetta 2 and Okami on there, but it's absolutely crazy to list Skyrim rather than Morrowind. No one with taste would do that.

Also, Halo 3 instead of Halo CE. Fucking WHAT.

Where's Devil May Cry 1 and Grand Theft Auto 3?

And as if that weren't enough, they included Starcraft 2 instead of Brood War. Lol, I'm done.

Edit: I just saw Destiny. At #32. Ugh, please make it end...

FFXII is a masterpiece
Yep.

No KOTOR 1 or 2?

Fkg1a8p.gif
This too.

I never thought I'd be 'that guy' that dismisses a list because of my faves being excluded, but honestly, I just can't understand the thought process behind this one when it doesn't include Doom.

Especially when a major criterion is that the games 'still hold up' -- Doom is 22 years old, is a seminal title that's credited with starting the explosion of the FPS genre, and yet it's aged incredibly well. Doom still gets played today by tons of people, still gets hugely ambitious mods released for it, and still has new level packs released constantly by the community.

Hell, if you want to go more modern, at least put one of the Quakes in there, or Duke 3D or something.

But no, instead we get goddamn COD and Battlefield 4 of all things, and of course Half-Life 2, which I'll grudgingly accept since so many other people love it (but for me it's one of my biggest gaming disappointments).

Wensih

I never thought I'd be 'that guy' that dismisses a list because of my faves being excluded, but honestly, I just can't understand the thought process behind this one when it doesn't include Doom.

I wouldn't include DOOM on my list either. It became mind-numbing boredom after the demons were cleared from rooms and I was left searching for the room with the card key to progress. The labyrinthine map might be praised because its nonlinear, but when you're left to walking around empty hallways that all look fairly similar, the game, despite its brevity, becomes a chore.

ref

According to Edge, Skyrim is better than Deus Ex.

Oh dear, these lists just make me laugh. But hey, opinions... I guess.

LoveCake

"The Ultimate Collection of Modern Classics"

Has Super Mario 64 from 1996/7 but no FF-VII from 1997, then has Super Mario Maker from two weeks ago.

Looks like EDGE have finally lost it.

Ryoku

The idea of lists sounds great.... Until you make it a list of 100. Suddenly, you are comparing one game (or parts of it) to 99 others at once. Yeah...

jholmes

What is the point of some arbitrary series instalment stipulation if you are going to have Dark Souls and Demon's Souls and Bloodbourne all on here?

I just cannot get behind this list. Also, you can reach back to 1994 for Super Metroid but they put Final Fantasy XII on this list? You cannot be serious.

Gozert

The idea of lists sounds great.... Until you make it a list of 100. Suddenly, you are comparing one game (or parts of it) to 99 others at once. Yeah...

Especially a ranked list. A lot of controversy would be avoided if you just listed '100 must have games' or something alphabetically. Then again, that would also mean less publicity, and thus less money made.

Lynx_7

It's refreshing to see one of these lists without Ocarina of Time or Mario 64 on top. Having said that, this list is pretty weird. Like a few users have said, it reads more like a personal top 100 list, which isn't all that bad tbh. No single list is going to be approved by everybody, so might as well make it your own.

jimboton

It's not a bad list once you accept it's 101% console centric.

But yeah, GTAV and The Last of Us don't really belong up there with Dark Souls. Super Metroid, Majora's Mask or Spelunky would fit #2 and 3 much better.

Widge

This list poses an interesting thought, mainly due to the objection of certain legacy games being missing.

Many games are intrinsically tied to technology and surely, sometimes no matter how good they were at the time, there comes a point when they go out of date?

Is Doom really better than anything on that list? No. Was it an important landmark? Yes. Benchmark FF games 6&7 are seriously shonky by modern standards. We all moan about how the elder scrolls games evolved but Morrowind has some awful foibles compared to later games.

I think there should be a distinction: greatest vs most important.

Shadoken

Is nobody going to say anything about the lack of Ninja Gaiden Black :(

I mean bayo 2 is great n all but cmon.

Not sure, but I'd love to see a new one. For sure would be a lot better and more balanced than this list.

Well considering the list is FROM Neogaf , most people here are definetely going to think its good/balanced.

Destiny is actually higher than The Witcher 3.

I just realized this. Lol this list is an absolute joke. I don't even care how much Destiny has improved...

Vire

If I had an Edge subscription I would probably cancel it after reading this list. Shit is hilarious.

Top Bottom