• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Egypt Air flight from Paris disappears from radar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Creative Writing thread is that way, pal.

Man, people really seem upset about that post. It's not like I posted a scenario with no precedent (MH370), or something that experts wouldn't be considering. Here's what CNN says:

CNN said:
CNN aviation correspondent Richard Quest said the plane vanished while cruising -- the safest part of the journey.

"Planes just do not fall out of the sky for no reason, particularly at 37,000 feet," he said.
The fact that it entered Egypt airspace and did not report in is highly significant, CNN aviation analyst Mary Schiavo added.

"Since they were 10 miles into Egypt airspace, they should have reported in. If anything had been going on they would have reported at that time," she said.

dc89

Oh FFS not again.

Still hoping for better news than what's most likely.

Did they ever find that Malaysia air plane?

I think one of the wing flaps washed up on a beech somewhere full of barnacles and crustations.
Quite a harrowing image really.

Jb

What a nightmare :( My thoughts are with the poor families and friends of the passengers who must be agonizing by now.

The idea that a terrorist might have managed to get a bomb on board like with the Sharm el-Sheikh - St Petersburg flight is terrifying.

danowat

Banned
Damn, not another one. RIP.

As for "planes not falling out of the sky", this isn't the first time in recent months/years that an Aribus has had an unrecoverable stall at high altitude....

jufonuk

not tag worthy

As for "planes not falling out of the sky", this isn't the first time in recent months/years that an Aribus has had an unrecoverable stall at high altitude....

Were they caused by pilot error or mechanical faults ?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

You don't lose tracking signal in case of a stall.

CTLance

Ugh.

I want it to be a mechanical failure rather than a terrorist attack, even with the outcome being the same.

I mean, we have had planes autonomously fly to their destination (and enter a holding pattern) in the past, with everyone on board including the pilots being unconscious. Of course they can't land without pilot input yet, so that particular flight was lost, but it does show the high degree of independence of modern autopilots. We also know that those same autopilots do not react all that intelligently if even one single sensor reports faulty data. And a stalled plane can drop out of the sky like a stone.

But that would probably require two independent faults, one to knock out everyone on board and one to fuck with the autopilot. Which is highly unlikely, admittedly.

My condolences to those affected.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
We have seen one case of what appears to be a shut transponder, MH370. Malaysian military which, one would assume, is pretty decent, didn't have time to figure out what happened or intercept. It would be not a stretch to assume that Egyptian military would do any better, in a chaotic situation of a plane disappearing from radar. There will be chaos with people trying to figure out lines of command, correct responses and other procedures.

I'll leave it at that as it seems that speculation about terrorism is frowned upon here for some reason.

What people don't like is crazy baseless theories of disgusting acts of terrorism and spreading unnecessary worry. Leave the spreading of terror to the terrorists.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Like I said, it's very early days, and there will be a lot of noise in the reports, I see that the Egyptian military have withdrawn their ELT reports.

I don't trust the reporting from the Egiptian authorities, but the flight tracking sites like flightradar have been pretty on spot with all the accidents data up until now.

Jezbollah

AF447
AirAsia 8501

Cheers. Given how often the A320 series flies, I am surprised that Airbus might not have given out an advisory to avoid these issues if they cannot absolutely fix them.

If this is the case, and the crew failed to follow guidance to avoid scenarios such as this, does this classify the accident as "human error"?

Tecnniqe

Banned
Cheers. Given how often the A320 series flies, I am surprised that Airbus might not have given out an advisory to avoid these issues if they cannot absolutely fix them.

If this is the case, and the crew failed to follow guidance to avoid scenarios such as this, does this classify the accident as "human error"?
Airbus also refuse to take the super puma out of service after having two identical crashes causing around 30 or so deaths since 2009

danowat

Banned

Both cases are mechanical fault followed by a certain amount of pilot error.

That said, occums razor would state that this unfortunate crash from the Egpytair plane points to an external force or action by a third party.

http://bbc.in/1U0YrdN
If this turns out to be a terrorist attack, then eyes will turn first of all to Charles de Gaulle airport, from where Flight MS804 took off on Wednesday night. Could there have been a breach of security allowing a device to be smuggled on board?

Security at Charles de Gaulle, already tight, has been tightened even further in recent months, after the Paris attacks in January and November. There is the visible security – soldiers on patrol – but more important is what is not seen: monitoring of passengers and staff.

One weak point identified in recent years has been the large number of flight-side workers who come from high-immigrant areas of the Paris suburbs. Last year there was a security review of the 86,000 workers with authorisation to go flight-side. More than 60 had their authorisation withdrawn because of fears of Islamic radicalisation.

This feels kind of shitty since we don't even know what happened.

spekkeh

Banned
AFP #BREAKING: EgyptAir plane crashed off Greek island of Karpathos in Egyptian airspace: Greek airport source

Not sure what a Greek airport source would know, but it's AFP.

IISANDERII

sadsmile_80_anim_gif.gif

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It is shitty, considering the very same plane has been to Tunis and Eritrea, as well as Cairo, could a device have been placed aboard in another airport?, would the security at CDG sweep a plane when it lands?

This is also what I was thinking. The plane has been all day in places not known fto have very tight security procedures, so linking this to the immigrants working at CDG it's quite a stretch. Takes a special kind of person to jump so much to this conclusion without any data yet.

This is also what I was thinking. The plane has been all day in places not known fto have very tight security procedures, so linking this to the immigrants working at CDG it's quite a stretch. Takes a special kind of person to jump so much to this conclusion without any data yet.

It's way more far fetched to think someone in Eritrea would know exactly when this plane would be in the air several flights on.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
It's way more far fetched to think someone in Eritrea would know exactly when this plane would be in the air several flights on.

What if they didn't know and the simple fact was just to make it crash, cause chaos and fear ?
That's assuming if was brought down that way.

If it was another way. How can we stop it and learn from it. I know flying is the safest form of travel, when things like this happen we report on it and try to figure out what went wrong. as it is so unusual and tragic.

But damn it does make me fear flying at times.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Did I say that it was planned to explode at this exact hour or at that exact place?

We don't even know if there was a bomb or something else yet.

What if they didn't know and the simple fact was just to make it crash, cause chaos and fear ?

Then why have it not explode during the flight it's taking immediately for which you know when it will depart ? Having it explode on a later flight adds the risk of it being discovered, the plane being on the ground for maintenance or any other complication.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Then why have it not explode during the flight it's taking immediately for which you know when it will depart ? Having it explode on a later flight adds the risk of it being discovered, the plane being on the ground for maintenance or any other complication.

I'm simply speculating.

More than likely it was maintenance/aircraft issues or pilot error.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Daily News Egypt ‏@DailyNewsEgypt 15m15 minutes ago
Update: Minister of Civil Aviation Sherif Fathy to hold press conference at 1 pm on #EgyptAirMS804 missing craft

It's 10:30am now.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

First off, it's just a speculation. Secondly, it could have been meant to explode in Paris or on the way to Paris and they just fucked up the timer. It's not like it didn't happen before.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985_Narita_International_Airport_bombing

danowat

Banned
Could they have tried to circle back and land on the island? Though you would think the flight tracking would show that

What?, circle back? land on an island? do they have a runway suitable for an A320?, you're also assuming the plane was in a controllable state.

danowat

Banned
Yes, Karpathos has an international airport.

Ok, thanks, not that familiar with the Greek Islands.

A good number of civilian ships in the area have, according to MarineTraffic, veered off their intended courses and are now steaming towards a common position at approximately N33.4 E29.7 approximately 30nm eastnortheast of the last ADS-B position. A first ship "Oceanus" has already reached that position and is nearly stationary there.

A number of ships left intended course towards a common position (Graphics: MarineTraffic):

egypt_a320_su-gcc_mediterranean_160519_marine.jpg

It's insane that even in 2016 there is no live feed (cockpit audio and telemetry) from the plane to ground stations (via satellites). How hard could this be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom