• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

El Niño 2016 |OT| - It's Spanish for The Niño

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Yup. It's raining in LA alright.

Abandon hope, all ye who enter your car.

FDa4Mc1.jpg

Looks like a typical SoCal day to me.

UOmpeRa.png

I love it so far. 2015 was the dreaded year where February was -30°c ALL. FRIGGIN. MONTH! This year looks more promising to be warm and not a freezer.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Darn, was hoping it would be dry before I left again but nope! More rains! Not a hard pour... yet :/

XiaNaphryz

It's been raining pretty hard for the past hour. Roads are already a mess all over the Bay. One of the local news radio stations mentioned we may see 15 inches of rain up in NorCal total over the next 15 days.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Nice lapse although it rains more than that on an average day where I live.

Thanks. Yeah if only CA had more rain it wouldn't be an issue with the drought.

Well and CA would die. Since people can't drive in the rain

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Of course the rain hits when I have to leave and walk around outside today :( I got lucky the past 2 days, but not today...

smurfx

get some go again
It's been raining pretty hard for the past hour. Roads are already a mess all over the Bay. One of the local news radio stations mentioned we may see 15 inches of rain up in NorCal total over the next 15 days.
you better be saving that delicious water for us norcal.

It's been a very nice winter so far in Saskatchewan. There's some snow on the ground but most nights don't get colder than -10C or so.

squallheart

Here in Hesperia, it's been flooding like mad the joy :D. It's probably going to be freezing tomorrow seeing how it's snowing in the mountains.

San Diegan here. We've been pummeled by heavy rain all day. It's long overdue, after how little it's rained here throughout the past year. Sucks about the flooding in some areas though, hope everyone is safe!

clav

I think it has to rain like this for an year in order to recover from the droughts Californians had over the past years.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Gonna be 50 degrees this weekend with rain (Massachusetts). This front would have probably been a snowstorm. Based Niño.

XiaNaphryz

Looks like a couple more storms on the way to NorCal over the rest of the week, but they won't be as strong as the last batch. Most of the rain is expected to occur in the overnight timeframes.

Raintotals so far:

gNGNcOI.jpg

The jet stream is not bringing the next round of storms down far enough. Don't worry, CA is getting the water where it needs it though. Like 8 straight days of rain in central/NorCal.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Well a thunderstorm just hit the bay area. I heard what I thought was construction outside, when it was a long, loud boom of thunder. Now it's raining again. The dry days were a nice break!

Can't remember the last time Seattle had so many clearish days in winter. Still cold but the sun is def appreciated. Course back to rain for the next several days in the forecast :/

XiaNaphryz

Been raining on and off the last few days, but this morning's storm has been a pretty good one. A flood advisory was issued for the Bay Area due to all the rain.

Supposed to be a few days of a break after this current storm and then we'll likely see another system come in at the end of the week.

Been raining on and off the last few days, but this morning's storm has been a pretty good one. A flood advisory was issued for the Bay Area due to all the rain.

Supposed to be a few days of a break after this current storm and then we'll likely see another system come in at the end of the week.

This morning's commute was a grind (muni + bart transfer). I go to work Outbound though. I can't imagine what the Outbound commute will be this afternoon if it continues to rain. It's already a shitstorm in dry weather.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah it's awfully muddy out there. The dog came back inside soaked. It's kind off off and on, since every time I check the window, it's either stopped, or pouring hard.

XiaNaphryz

Next storm to hit NorCal later tonight:

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Bay-Area-gearing-up-again-for-heavy-rain-high-6774288.php

A two-day break from rain will end Thursday night when the Bay Area gets hit with a storm expected to last through Saturday, forecasters said.

The storm will deliver two waves of rain: the first coming late Thursday evening and into Friday morning during the commute and the second will blow in Friday evening and continue into Saturday, said Steve Anderson, a forecaster with the National Weather Service.

Friday morning’s commute could be tricky as heavy winds of 20 to 30 mph, with gusts over 40 mph, along with rainfall are predicted, he said. A brief break from the wet weather should come Friday afternoon before another band of rain hits in the evening.

In total, most parts of the Bay Area should get anywhere between a half-inch to an inch-and-a-quarter of rainfall by the time the storm sweeps through Saturday. The North Bay should get between an inch or two while the coastal mountains could end up with 4 inches, he said.

“The North Bay will get most of the rain,” he said.

The weather service warns that more rainfall on already saturated soils will likely bring debris flows or landslides in steep terrain areas, particularly in the North Bay or Santa Cruz mountains.

And some other updates:

Folsom Lake sees rise of 44 feet in just over a month.

Lake Oroville rises 20 feet in six days.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member

XiaNaphryz

Weather forecast today feels exaggerated.

Decent amount of rain up in the North Bay, which is where the forecast said it would be concentrated. Kind of a constant drizzle in SF so far, which is how I'd imagine most of the rest of the area would be. Enough wind and rain to cause delays at SFO it seems at least.

clav

Decent amount of rain up in the North Bay, which is where the forecast said it would be concentrated. Kind of a constant drizzle in SF so far, which is how I'd imagine most of the rest of the area would be. Enough wind and rain to cause delays at SFO it seems at least.

Read high winds and heavy rain. Doesn't feel like that.

Maybe since I've lived in the midwest for a while, I think people whine too much about what's good/bad weather.

One day at TJ's, I heard workers yapping about the overcast weather making them feel like -___-

It's been dry for a few weeks, but looks like there will be rain soon:

- SFChron: Storms packing 6 inches of rain in 10 days roaring into Bay Area
A barrage of storms interspersed with brief respites will start hitting the Bay Area on Thursday morning and continue for at least a week and a half, kicking off March with significant rainfall to boost reservoirs and hopes that El Niño will show its true colors at last.

All told, throughout the 10-day period starting Thursday, coastal areas will see about six or so inches of rain, and cities at higher elevations are forecast to be drenched in at least 10 inches, forecasters said. But Bay Area residents will be slowly introduced to the atmospheric river, with the first front delivering only about a quarter to half an inch of rain.

j-wood

I'm in central colorado and this winter has been some bullshit. We had one big snow, but now it's been almost 70 degrees for 2 weeks straight. I should have a solid month of snowboarding left, but I think I'll just be boarding on ice and slush until the end of the season :(

finalflame

Coming from Florida, 6 inches in 10 days does NOT sound like a lot at all. This El Niño has been super disappointing; I was promised storms and tons of rain.

Coming from Florida, 6 inches in 10 days does NOT sound like a lot at all. This El Niño has been super disappointing; I was promised storms and tons of rain.
Average monthly March rainfall in SF is about ~3-4" total, so getting this amount in 10 days is a fair bit .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom