• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elden Ring is currently sitting at 953,426 concurrent players on steam now

I cannot open youtube without some random Elden Souls videos showing up.

For me it's hard, because I really really want to play the game (I loved also all the souls games). However I force myself not to start at the moment. My problem is time, as a father of 2 I have perhaps 4 hours in the week to play games. I am currently half through Tales of Arise and love the game and intend to complete it. But realistically thinking once I start Elden Ring that's it, with only a maximum of 4 hours per week the game will take a long time to finish and by the time I finish I forgot everything about the story or how to control Tales of Arise, so I will never coming back to it.

So yeah, I try to stay strong although there are all these temptations out there and give my best to finish Tales of Arise first.

kingfey

Banned
Yeah I know. You think PS version sold more than 10M worldwide? That’s a tall order.
Yes, if you factor ps4+ps5.
Most souls fans are playstation users. Not to mention, PC is crippled with system requirements. I cant play it on my pc, since my pc cant support the game.

Long term, pc might win though. But current sales, its Playstation, pc and last xbox.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
that 10M is just estimate, high end estimate, Steamspy says 5-10 million

Says 10M-20M

I think he meant that the game definitely sold more than 5 million since it's unlikely 1/5 of total owners were playing at the same time.

SteamSpy has it between 10.000.000 and 20.000.000 so it's fair to assume it sold at least 10 million copies on Steam.

I don't know; Elden Ring is defying a lot of expectations but I honestly don't see it anywhere near 20 million on PC or even 10 million; it just seems like the kind of game where a higher portion of the buyers would actually be playing it concurrently, to me. The 5 million+ estimates feel the safest to go with, for me.

I am as well. I have it on hard and there is just a ton of noise distracting from an incredible world. Skill trees that give you growth instead of letting you grow, people who wont shut the fuck up, items that feel meaningless because you know they are not end game. There is a better way to use that uncedible world, it feels like a waste at the moment. Hope it turns into something special.

Interesting points; I guess you have played a fair number of open-world games in recent years? Because that could be flavoring your impressions. I actually haven't played too many in a long while so I might be a big green and perhaps in the way certain design choices are done, more easily impressionable than someone more seasoned with open-world games by this point? Could be a factor to consider.

Suppose it's a bit like how I'd feel with a fighting game coming out with no new design or game mechanic choices that would feel genuinely refreshing to someone who's played almost every fighter under the sun by now and plays them regularly. It's a fair POV, but again just for someone like myself, the items you list aren't really affecting my experience so far (altho there is a shit-ton of stuff to collect xD). Plus visually it's pretty spellbinding, and I haven't been playing too many "pretty" games of late so that is refreshing ;)

DavidGzz

This is first time a fromsoft game reached these high numbers.

That is more than God of war +halo infinite +forza horizon 5 combined.

Game is gigantic.

Today or do you mean that's more than those three games at their respective launches combined? If the latter, holy shit.

I can't stop playing it. It's amazing.

It's so nice being summoned in an instant no matter where I throw down. I've had so much fun helping people and emoting or t bagging the boss. There was a catacomb that had a illusory wall to a boss plus a dark drop to unlock the door to the second boss. So awesome.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Today or do you mean that's more than those three games at their respective launches combined? If the latter, holy shit.

I can't stop playing it. It's amazing.

It's so nice being summoned in an instant no matter where I throw down. I've had so much fun helping people and emoting or t bagging the boss. There was a catacomb that had a illusory wall to a boss plus a dark drop to unlock the door to the second boss. So awesome.
Its higher than all time concurrent of those 3 combined.
Fh5 81,096
god of war 73,529
halo infinite 272,586
total is 427211. That 45% of Elden ring all time high, which was today.

I can't take this game seriously. I don't feel like it's worth it to grind for upgrades, only to loose them all and have to go all the way back, risking losing hard earned items completely. If you're lucky there will be resting spot, but who freaking knows unless you happen to stumble upon. I keep giving it a chance though. Quick question for those that are leveled and upgraded. Is the Parry animation always a long animation or does it shorten? This is one of the reasons the game is difficult. You can't defend off of reaction cause there is a delay after input.

Graciaus

I can't take this game seriously. I don't feel like it's worth it to grind for upgrades, only to loose them all and have to go all the way back, risking losing hard earned items completely. If you're lucky there will be resting spot, but who freaking knows unless you happen to stumble upon. I keep giving it a chance though. Quick question for those that are leveled and upgraded. Is the Parry animation always a long animation or does it shorten? This is one of the reasons the game is difficult. You can't defend off of reaction cause there is a delay after input.
Learn to roll. Parry is advanced stuff and not needed. I didn't even use a shield. The game is very generous with grace spots. You must be new to the series. Keep playing it will click eventually.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Yes, if you factor ps4+ps5.
Most souls fans are playstation users. Not to mention, PC is crippled with system requirements. I cant play it on my pc, since my pc cant support the game.

Long term, pc might win though. But current sales, its Playstation, pc and last xbox.

you think it’s sold 10 million on PlayStation platforms already? I just can’t see it.

amazing news if it has that means it’s done 20 million sales in two weeks.

I honestly do not believe that most souls fans are on PlayStation, souls has been huge on pc for years and I don’t see any of the huge souls community players using the PlayStation version. It’s all PC.

If you’re grinding that hard for upgrades or runes then it’s likely that you should be in a more ‘enemy rune rich’ area. Also, upgrade your weapon as high as you can.

Lastly, I would recommend dropping parry. That’s a very advanced technique that is difficult to achieve even as someone that’s played and finished all souls games.

DonF

Gold Member
Very good game. Refreshingly good. It lacks most of the new features that we grown to hate. It has a lot of first for the souls series like maps, yet the map is implemented way better than other games. I urge everyone to play it. It's a beautifully designed game that respect and rewards the players time.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space

It isn't worth it to grind in Elden Ring. It's just time you could spend getting better at the core game by naturally exploring the hundreds of side locations. Overfarming early just delays the inevitable and will bore you to death when you could be out in the world having adventures. Honestly, you will get to a point where you realise losing runes isn't even that big of a deal.

After a certain point levelling up doesn't even help you that much, the biggest advantage you can give yourself in this game is all the NPC summons. They're there to be used, you aren't cheating by using them. Also, parrying is pretty advanced, rather than parrying you can equip a shield, hold it up and do a strong attack after you're hit for an instant counter. Do this a few times and you'll knock an enemy down, run up to them, press R1 to front-stab for delicious critical damage. Job done.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Hey I've been doing my part! 90 hours played since release. :lollipop_content:

iHaunter

This is first time a fromsoft game reached these high numbers.

That is more than God of war +halo infinite +forza horizon 5 combined.

Game is gigantic.
To be fair, most people that played GoW already beat it on PS4. I'd imagine very few PC only people exist that don't own a PS4.

Having said that I'm one of those Elden Ring people. I did double dip and buy on PS5 as well. Sadly my GT7 remains unplayed at the moment. Soon (TM).

Sentenza

Even first week UK sale supports this stat

PlayStation will always have the biggest fanbase for Souls games. Demon's Souls and Bloodborne are exclusive to PlayStation. Each of Dark Souls game was released on console first, PC at later dates

The UK is NOTORIOUSLY a very console-centric (and even more specifically Playstation-centric) market.

Fbh

Lol that's a lot of people playing what some salty users were describing as an "unplayable version of the game" in the other thread.

Topher

Gold Member
Lol that's a lot of people playing what some salty users were describing as an "unplayable version of the game" in the other thread.

Sounds like needless hyperbole. The tech issues are known, but my son has been playing the game since it released without problems other than the occasional stuttering.

He says it is "everything he ever wanted from a From game".

Yep Reaction GIF by C H A R L Ö T T E

dorkimoe

Glad I waited to buy it. Gonna get it for $30 because of all the people who bought it thinking it was something different. 2nd hand sellers everywhere

I cannot open youtube without some random Elden Souls videos showing up.

For me it's hard, because I really really want to play the game (I loved also all the souls games). However I force myself not to start at the moment. My problem is time, as a father of 2 I have perhaps 4 hours in the week to play games. I am currently half through Tales of Arise and love the game and intend to complete it. But realistically thinking once I start Elden Ring that's it, with only a maximum of 4 hours per week the game will take a long time to finish and by the time I finish I forgot everything about the story or how to control Tales of Arise, so I will never coming back to it.

So yeah, I try to stay strong although there are all these temptations out there and give my best to finish Tales of Arise first.
Also a father of 2 Im pretty sure at elden rings launch I would put my kids to sleep at night and then would do a 6 7 hour session of elden ring.
For me elden ring was the goat of open world games the mere not holding ur hand for map exploration and going whereever u want to go is just breathtaking.

Top Bottom