• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ELDEN RING Shadow of the Erdtree Build Discussion

Hi all,

I thought it would be nice to have a thread to discuss proposed builds for the upcoming DLC. I see many questions about levels, focus areas, and weapon leveling.

If you're playing on PC, here's a tip: The Elden Ring nexus allows you to download save files with max runes and weapon stats, but your level remains at 9. This lets you level up as you like and have all weapons and spirit ashes ready for the DLC.

Here's my approach:
  • Set damage stats (dex/strength/faith, etc.) to 50-ish to use all weapons effectively.
  • Keep vigor at 20-25 for a good challenge.
  • Intelligence and stamina is up to you how much you think you need.
I enjoy playing this way because it lets me use all weapons, magic, and incantations without being overpowered, even above level 300.

I wonder if this approach will work in Shadow of the Erdtree. It would be fun to play with all the new features without being overpowered.

I'm aware there is a new damage and attack power system coming so what do you think?

Thanks!

Antwix

• Set damage stats (dex/strength/faith, etc.) to 50-ish to use all weapons effectively.
  • Keep vigor at 20-25 for a good challenge.
1) Jack of all trades, master of none. Better off going with your favorite stat or do a 2 stat hybrid like quality, dex/fth, str/fth, etc. If you like the moveset of a specific weapon, you can always respec. There's like ~17(?) larval tears in the base game with probably a few more located in the DLC.
2) Based on the previews, hope you enjoy getting 1 shot in the DLC

mdkirby

I finished the game off mostly optimised around continual use of swarm of flies and bloodhound step, and for the rare instance the enemies forced me to use a sword, the rivers of blood katana. That combo used to melt everything without much issue. No doubt they’ve nerfed some since tho.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
A rough breakdown from what I know. I’m still staying in the dark. I know I want to main a new DLC weapon. Having my katanas and maybe the blasphemous blade might work, but we’ve seen some fire enemies. I was worried about the blasphemous blade doing next to no damage. It’s such a powerhouse in the main game besides two smaller bosses.

so the new level system builds upon your existing stats from what I’ve read. You collect a certain resource and you add to your existing stats, but only for the DLC area. My guess is that you have to consider your level plus the additional bonus to your level. One person put it: At level 100 you’ll find it challenging (but you’ll have an advantage with the new resource), 120 to have moderate challenge and level 150 it’ll be easier. My guess is that this resource is in your benefit with level scaling.

From what I saw players were level 120-150 for the 3 hour trial.

Draugoth

Gold Member
Optimized builds in Elden Ring are useless because each enemy type and bosses offer different resistances

You are better off making hybrid builds

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I'm going in with a hybrid INT/DEX build, because that's what I rocked for a lot of my base game playthrough. Grabbed one of those Nexus Mod save files, and tailored it accordingly up to a 150 level build. Got larval tears to re-spec if I come across anything really cool in the DLC.

Metnut

I have a pure dex build with vitality and endurance at 60 and I use the keen scimitar +25 and sometimes frozen needle +10.

It generally works for me with my mimic tear +10 but feel like I’m missing out on a lot of the game and other weapons. Any thoughts on whether I should mix it up for the DLC? I’m not great at these games, but never summon other players and can eventually beat them.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Kentaro Miura Guts GIF

R6Rider

Gold Member
Hoping for some fun shields like the doors they added in DLC for Dark Souls 3. I have a greatshield only build that is/was fun to play through.

Other than that I have lots of different builds for Elden Ring and I plan to mess around with all of them in the new location.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
builds<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<fashion.

weapons: cool-looking with fun movements. Damage output comes much later. Favorite weapon Eleonora's poleblade and uchigatana+wakizashi with parry ash. And Marais Executioner's Sword.

I main a DEX/ARC monster that is now also hitting cap on faith cause I love all the weird faith spells. But I also have 10+ larval tears and I know I'll be re-speccing many times in the DLC to check out all the INT and STR stuff.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I'm going to roll around and hit things like every other From game.

6274b17e79161c0f5b1b54247f5fe45a.jpg

I'm going for a Silat (BERSERK) cosplay build on ps5. Planning on using the reverse swords. I have a Guts build I'll be running on PC as well.

hqdefault.jpg

I also recently made a Genichiro Ashina build that's dlc ready as well.

The_hunter

Hoping for some fun shields like the doors they added in DLC for Dark Souls 3. I have a greatshield only build that is/was fun to play through.

Other than that I have lots of different builds for Elden Ring and I plan to mess around with all of them in the new location.
Are Greatshields viable against end-game bosses as a defensive option?

Boralf

DLC has new shield type (thrusting shield), for even more offensive pure shield play probably.

I'm going to use a build with something to hit enemies with and then some extra stuff I think.

The_hunter

Yes. The only boss I didn't attempt (yet anyways) was Malenia. I beat the entire game using only a greatshield (various ones throughout the playthrough). I used it for defense and as my weapon.
I used magic in my run, but I'll change into a shield build so I don't have to roll.

Soodanim

I'm doing what I always do - taking my original character in at whatever NG+ cycle it's on.

I'm going to load up the game for the first time in a long time to check the stats and current build just for you, OP.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I just hope they switch it up a bit. I've never felt like Elden Ring is that replayable past the mid-point. Everything after Leyndell is good on the first-time through. but on a revisit... I dunno, I always seem to lose interest. Maybe its because by that point I've always got a build that will see me through to the end and all the collectibles seem pointless. I'm really not sure but I've quit and started over a few times at that exact point.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
I’m about to start over, thinking I will create a Warrior dual wield build, possibly with bleed but main thing I want is the dual wielding.

april6e

I'm too lazy to redo my build for the DLC. I went with a Melee INT Moonveil on launch and for the DLC, I'm going to try out hit stacking Wing of Astel instead.

Also, my mind is blown at how well the game runs on OLED Steam Deck. I get a shaky 40fps in most scenarios which is very playable.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

20-25 vigor seems too low.

For the preview people got character at lvl 150 and said boss was still challenging (experience vary depending on skills level). FromSoft said the DLC is equivalent to endgame difficulty and even further. In addition they put this new "bonus" to damage and defense so I guess the difficulty is quite high in the DLC.
So with 25 Vigor you'll probably get one shotted by a lot of stuff.

Difficult to say but the way I see it is that around lvl 100 it will be quite challenging and lvl 150 is probably a good confort starting point that will still offer challenge.
And you have to beat Mogh to enter the DLC which one of the most challenging and high lvl of the base game... So I really think the DLC difficulty will be at least equivalent to the endgame of the base game.

I am currently lvl 104 and I am playing a bit till the release so I'll probably be around lvl 120 at best for the DLC.

DelireMan7

So if I'm level 250, the DLC will be easy?
If there was only the standard leveling system I would say yes. But "easy" is a relative term in Souls game.

But as they offer this new "bonus" system to up damage and defense, I am curious about the difficulty of the DLC. It could be quite high so you might be fine for a challenge even at lvl 250. Anyway past a certain point, stats give much less bonus so at one point high lvl don't change much.

1) Jack of all trades, master of none. Better off going with your favorite stat or do a 2 stat hybrid like quality, dex/fth, str/fth, etc. If you like the moveset of a specific weapon, you can always respec. There's like ~17(?) larval tears in the base game with probably a few more located in the DLC.
2) Based on the previews, hope you enjoy getting 1 shot in the DLC

2. 20 vigor served me ok up untill Mountaintop of the Giants. There I do get oneshotted and that is, indeed no fun. But taking two hits and then almost dying so frantically taking a healing flask is fun enough. Ill see where the balance takes the DLC.

Dex/int build with Moonveil Katana and a few spells to go at things ranged. Might grab rivers of blood and dual wield to look like a badass.

Not leveling vigor to at least 50 is insane, knowing that the DLC is gonna be at least as hard as the endgame of the main game Where’s the fun in getting one shotted? Where’s the fun in never getting hit?

I have an NG+1 build focusing on high Vigor, Strength and Faith but I’ve been leveling up other stats like dexterity - it’s at 30 currently.

Weapons I use more or less regularly:
Blasphemous Blade
Bloodhound’s Fang
Sacred Relic Sword
Greatsword with Lion’s Claw
Rivers of Blood
Astel’s Wing
Radhan’s swords

FunkMiller

Gold Member
So if I'm level 250, the DLC will be easy?

I have the distinct feeling that Miyazaki will make sure you know very early on that being a high level in the base game isn't going to mean shit in the DLC. Every preview video had very experienced people running like little bitches from that first fire basket thing in the field.

Soodanim

I'm doing what I always do - taking my original character in at whatever NG+ cycle it's on.

I'm going to load up the game for the first time in a long time to check the stats and current build just for you, OP.
I got sidetracked testing out Lossless Scaling, but my original character as it stands:

60 Vig/ 38 Mnd / 50 End
80 Str / 80 Dex / 09 Int / 25 Fth / 30 Arc

Blood Rotten Battle Hammer w/ Wild Strikes
Frenzy Seal

White Mask / Banished Knight / Briar Gauntlets / Fire Prelate

Shard of Alexander / Rotten Winged Sword Insig / LoB's Exultation / Kindred of Rot's Exultation

The build is based around destroying bosses by using Wild Strikes to proc bleed and rot, multiple hits proccing Rotten Wing, and everything just getting stronger as more hits get in. If you get lucky with bleed stun timing that's even more of a window to keep swinging and building the damage per swing.

Top Bottom