• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Electric Cars Becoming Popular As Grid Gets Greener

KNOXVILLE, TENN. — The amount of heat-trapping pollution that’s released every time Bill Williams drives his electric sedan a mile down a road here has fallen by about a quarter in the three years since he bought it.

Williams’ car hasn’t changed, but the electricity that powers it has. In Tennessee, power once generated overwhelmingly by coal has given way to more nuclear and natural gas power. With the rising number of plug-in models available in the U.S., many at increasingly affordable prices, and with electricity getting greener, the climate benefits of electric cars are growing.

Polls show that Tennesseans are among the least worried nationwide about global warming, yet they support one of America’s healthiest electric car markets. One out of every 400 new cars sold in the state in 2016 could be plugged in, Auto Alliance figures show, ranking Tennessee 11th nationwide. Electric car owners here tend to give other reasons for their purchases and view climate benefits as nice extras.

“The car of the future,” said Williams, a retired federal nuclear worker, beaming as he drove his Tesla Model S after punching the gas to show off its acceleration. “When I went and test drove it and saw it personally, I mean, I just liked everything about it.”

Analysis by Climate Central shows that at least one variety of 2017 all-electric or plug-in hybrid electric car will have a smaller impact on the climate after 100,000 miles of driving than any of its gas-fueled competitors in 37 states, including Tennessee. That’s up from 16 states in 2013 as power grids have become greener.
More in the link below.
http://www.climatecentral.org/news/electric-cars-green-grid-tennessee-clean-energy-21467

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I'll be looking for a new car next year when my current lease is up and I'm really hoping I can afford a decent electric vehicle by that point. Good news that grids are getting greener as well as that's even more important than the vehicles themselves.

LaneDS

I'd be interested if the distance on a full charge wasnt so terrible. The last one I looked at was only 80 miles

That's changing in a hurry, with the Tesla Model 3 doing I think 215+ on the smallest battery and other manufacturers are making similar offerings.

I drive an EV and I love it. They're only getting better and better, and I think once you go electric you'll never go back.

Mine's only short range (60 to 80 miles depending on outside temperature) but it's amazing how rarely I need to borrow my wife's Volt to go on longer trips (maybe twice a year). So much so, that I'm going to get another short range one when my lease is up. No sense spending more on batteries I'll barely use.

The problems are also related to having a private parking space that you can use to charge. Many people don't, and the public infrastructure isn't anywhere close what it would need to be in order for most people to only ever charge away from home.

We're getting there, and the technology is improving leaps and bounds... but we're already at a point where *practical* electric cars are starting to get close to affordable for average people. Mine's already affordable. My lease is $165 a month all in.

I'd be interested if the distance on a full charge wasnt so terrible. The last one I looked at was only 80 miles

Hyundai Ioniq EV is $30,000 and gets 124 miles on a charge, Chevy Bolt is $38,000 and gets 238 miles on a charge. Both eligible for $7500 tax credit, and in California you get an additional $2500 check for buying an electric car.

Coolness

I bought a used Leaf and I'm happy with it. Hopefully in a few years, I will be able to buy a more affordable long range electric car.

Khaz

Charging stations availability and charge time still make a big no no for anyone who doesn't own a private parking slot, ie anyone living in apartment buildings and parking in the streets or in a shared car park.

I would have loved to get a plug in but I simply can't charge where I live. And even if I could, being restricted in such a way if I ever need to move out makes it impossible for me to get an electric car. I'm driving a hybrid now. My next car will most likely a plug-in hybrid so that I can keep my options open while being able to charge it if I have the option to.

Charging stations availability and charge time still make a big no no for anyone who doesn't own a private parking slot, ie anyone living in apartment buildings and parking in the streets or in a shared car park.

I would have loved to get a plug in but I simply can't charge where I live. And even if I could, being restricted in such a way if I ever need to move out makes it impossible for me to get an electric car. I'm driving a hybrid now. My next car will most likely a plug-in hybrid so that I can keep my options open while being able to charge it if I have the option to.

Absolutely, that's the biggest problem right now.

Until used electric cars become affordable for me I can't get one. I only have enough cash to look for vehicles on the used market right now. Also fuel availability is a problem. A hybrid like the Prius is on my radar right now.

Charging stations is probably not the way to look at solving that problem. What's more likely is you'll stop at a place similar to an oil change shop, and an automated system quickly swap out your battery for a fully charged one.

Cherubae

We're a two-car electric household and are perfectly content with how things work. My little 88-range car gets me back and forth to work just fine, and his 230-range rocket takes us anywhere else we need to be. There have been a few times in the past three years where my little puddle jumper has needed to use faster charging stations to recharge its range quickly so I could get somewhere, but in general it hasn't been too much of an issue. The cars charge in the garage when they need it.

Electric cars will increase electricity costs, naturally, but our rate is only $0.12 per kwh. My 24 kw battery charges each week and he charges his 70 kw battery every other week or so.

With the model 3 coming and other electric options, there will be more options available. It is still a niche market though; I don't see electrics taking the roads away from gas vehicles anytime soon. Some people like the noise that gas vehicles make, plus filling up for gas is still by far faster than charging an EV - it takes about 15 hours to charge my car at the end of the work week, but I do only have the slowest, level 1 charger.

When my wife and I sell our current cars for something newer one of them will be electric. It will be a commuting car so I don't care about range. I can't wait to finally have one.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
There's a GAFfer who owns a Bolt and I would love to hear his thoughts.

That's me. My wife & I got our Bolt in February and love it. It's roomy, has great visibility, handles ok and is surprisingly quick. We drive a minimum 100 miles a day in it, so I wanted an EV that had at least double that to account for unexpected errands and lower range in cold temperatures.

I had a 240v outlet installed in my garage and plugged in a 40a EVSE (JuiceBox Pro) for charging. The EVSE might have been overkill since I the car regulates charging (including scheduled charges). But it'll work for future EVs I buy, including Teslas, so it's at least somewhat future proof. And I have a redundant layer of protection between the outlet and the car's charger, so that's worthwhile anyway.

It takes a few hours to charge to full after a day's drive.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Bolt is a great car, highly recommended!

Sobriquet

That's me. My wife & I got our Bolt in February and love it. It's roomy, has great visibility, handles ok and is surprisingly quick. We drive a minimum 100 miles a day in it, so I wanted an EV that had at least double that to account for unexpected errands and lower range in cold temperatures.

I had a 240v outlet installed in my garage and plugged in a 40a EVSE (JuiceBox Pro) for charging. The EVSE might have been overkill since I the car regulates charging (including scheduled charges). But it'll work for future EVs I buy, including Teslas, so it's at least somewhat future proof. And I have a redundant layer of protection between the outlet and the car's charger, so that's worthwhile anyway.

It takes a few hours to charge to full after a day's drive.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Bolt is a great car, highly recommended!

Thanks for the update! Sounds fantastic. I'll test drive one as soon as they arrive in my state.

Top Bottom