• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Elon Musk and Uber's chief executive joins Trump's advisory council

Status
Not open for further replies.
Elon Musk has joined Donald Trump’s advisory council despite having dismissed Mr Trump as “not the right man for the job” during the election.

The President-elect’s transition team announced the appointment of the Tesla executive alongside Travis Kalanick, the chief executive of Uber, on Wednesday.

Musk’s appointment comes weeks after he warned the election is not “the finest moment in our democracy in general”.

He was unconcerned about how the billionaire business magnate’s ascension to the White House would affect Tesla, but told CNBC he believed Hillary Clinton’s economic and environmental policies were “the right ones”. Mr Trump was elected four days later.

“I feel a bit stronger that he is not the right guy,” he said later. “He doesn't seem to have the sort of character that reflects well on the United States.”

Source

Lock if old.

Et tu Elon?

FnIj2Sko.gif

Sure, ok. Let's hope he can talk sense into him. Elon Musk likes the environment, right? Maybe he can convince trump it's a good business decision to invest in green.

Window

Quoting myself from the other thread.

Here's a list of previously announced members:

Stephen A. Schwarzman (Forum Chairman), Chairman, CEO, and Co-Founder of Blackstone;
Paul Atkins, CEO, Patomak Global Partners, LLC, Former Commissioner of the Securities and Exchange Commission;
Mary Barra, Chairman and CEO, General Motors;
Toby Cosgrove, CEO, Cleveland Clinic;
Jamie Dimon, Chairman and CEO, JPMorgan Chase & Co;
Larry Fink, Chairman and CEO, BlackRock;
Bob Iger, Chairman and CEO, The Walt Disney Company;
Rich Lesser, President and CEO, Boston Consulting Group;
Doug McMillon, President and CEO, Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.;
Jim McNerney, Former Chairman, President, and CEO, Boeing;
Adebayo “Bayo” Ogunlesi, Chairman and Managing Partner, Global Infrastructure Partners;
Ginni Rometty, Chairman, President, and CEO, IBM;
Kevin Warsh, Shepard Family Distinguished Visiting Fellow in Economics, Hoover Institute, Former Member of the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System;
Mark Weinberger, Global Chairman and CEO, EY;
Jack Welch, Former Chairman and CEO, General Electric;
Daniel Yergin, Pulitzer Prize-winner, Vice Chairman of IHS Markit;

Feep

Banned
Honestly, considering how much Elon cares about the future of this planet, he'd *have* to say yes if this were offered to him. The amount of impact he could have here is exceptional.

Save us, Elon.

Yeah he would do the world harm by just saying fuck off. Also considering solar energy benefits him greatly we can only hope he has a major influence.

But considering how influential his Hispanic advisory council was during the election I have doubts this means anything.

Mariolee

Honestly, considering how much Elon cares about the future of this planet, he'd *have* to say yes if this were offered to him. The amount of impact he could have here is exceptional.

Save us, Elon.

What I was thinking. Elon might be the one to talk some sense into Trump and his board.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Glad to hear.
These guys could have some great insight and advice to the President Elect and his staff.

guek

Banned
I thought Musk was South African?

In any case, I don't begrudge him for taking the position. While he's incredibly egotistical, I think Trump can be positively influenced if done so with nuance.

Wag

I thought Musk was South African?

In any case, I don't begrudge him for taking the position. While he's incredibly egotistical, I think Trump can be positively influenced if done so with nuance.

Ass kissing?

slit

What I was thinking. Elon might be the one to talk some sense into Trump and his board.

He MAY be able to talk sense into Trump because Trump is easily manipulated but if you are talking about his cabinet and inner circle, FORGET IT! They have spent a lifetime crusading against that kind of stuff.

At best, I could see him getting clean energy support in addition to coal, oil, natural gas, etc. rather than in lieu of them. So we will get a whole lot of drilling, but maybe we'll still retain subsidies for solar energy and electric vehicles.

jax

Banned
When Kanye meets Trump it's the end of the world. When Elon meets Trump it's a miracle. That's really weird to me.

Mariolee

When Kanye meets Trump it's the end of the world. When Elon meets Trump it's a miracle. That's really weird to me.

Kanye is a (incredibly gifted) rapper who has had considerble mental health issues recently. Elon Musk is one of the greatest minds of our generation who is pushing for cleaner fuel sources.

They're not the same.

Kanye is a (incredibly gifted) rapper who has had considerble mental health issues recently. Elon Musk is one of the greatest minds of our generation who is pushing for cleaner fuel sources.

They're not the same.

Jim Brown got the same amount of heat Kanye got when he met Trump.

jax

Banned
Elon Musk is a techno-businessman who generally has good-for-humankind goals.

It's not really wierd that it's a miracle.

What's weird is that you put Kanye and Musk into the same basket.

Kanye was at Trump Tower speaking with the president-elect about reducing the horrible gang violence in Chicago and improving education in America. How is that not a good for humankind goal? Because Taylor Swift? Because he's a rapper? He is literally putting his entire career on the line to help his fellow man.

Kanye haters hate without logic. Makes them seem pretty closed-minded tbh.

Kanye was at Trump Tower speaking with the president-elect about reducing the horrible gang violence in Chicago and improving education. How is that not a good for humankind goal? Because Taylor Swift? Because he's a rapper?

because there are far more qualified people who have made solving those kinds of problems their careers?

jax

Banned
because there are far more qualified people who have made solving those kinds of problems their careers?
Okay. Are they using that qualification to communicate the issues with the most powerful man in the world?

Anyone in a position of power who's trying to talk sense into Trump and influence his presidency in a positive way should be praised. It shouldn't matter what career path they've chosen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom