• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emily Rogers: Nintendo Working on Unannounced Wii U Game [Update: Paper Mario]

RK128

What kind of game do you think this Paper Mario game will be?

I'm hoping it leans on the TTYD or N64 original in terms of gameplay, storytelling, level design and core game framework. Which is to say, a proper Paper Mario game :).

.....But I'm not expecting this to be that and it will be Intelligent Systems using the Sticker Star formula and fixing all of its issues; original characters (and not being flooded with Toads), more creative puzzles, combat system based on the original games and the like.

I'm expecting this to be like Federation Force to be honest; a game that looks interesting but is not what fans of the series want and as an result, loath and HATE the game because of it.

Wish to be wrong about this feeling.

bluexy

Oof. Rough time to have a Paper Mario announcement leaked right as poor reviews for Paper Jam are being published.

Fuchs

What is happening? Just came home and I`m reading that there's a new Paper Mario in development for the Wii U? Whaaaaaaaaat?

Mistle

Hope they make the most of the Wii U and really make it look like paper. Not just flat 2D. Think the Kirby clay game or Woolly World. REAL paper, man.

Oh wait this actually is Paper Mario? I thought people were just joking/speculating.

More PM64 and Thousand Year Door, less Super Paper Mario and Sticker Star. I'm assuming since it's a Wii U game they're not really in a position to dumb things down for an audience that doesn't even own a Wii U in the first place, so we're probably safe from it winding up like SS again. SPM still had a ton of its own issues though.

Weird Next Level's making it if this is true, but thinking about it I maybe trust them with their recent track record more than I trust Intelligent Systems.
Next Level is only making that horrible Metroid game. Rumor is Intelligent Systems is making it.

Having just 100%ed TTYD recently... :(

Those were two different teams though. Intelligent Systems does Paper Mario (with influence from Nintendo SPD for Super Paper Mario and Sticker Star). AlphaDream does the Mario & Luigi series, and they were the ones that did Paper Jam.

I know all that, but I'm saying that it's probably likely IS was held to the same "rule" if AlphaDream couldn't get away from it for Paper Jam. I'm guessing Paper Mario's presence was why that game turned out the way it did.

This is assuming both games entered development at the same time, though.

Wayoshi

All they need to do is use TTYD's mechanics as a base and evolve it. Totally a game where playing it safe in certain aspects is the right call.

Platy

As someone who finds Super Paper Mario was hilarious and Stick Star was not bad ..... PLEASE more Papers Marios like Thousand Year Door =P

Paper Mario

20ae8b87a3f621cad7f8f1c1dfded473.png

I've waited a long for this...please be good!

rardk64

What kind of game do you think this Paper Mario game will be?

I'm hoping it leans on the TTYD or N64 original in terms of gameplay, storytelling, level design and core game framework. Which is to say, a proper Paper Mario game :).

.....But I'm not expecting this to be that and it will be Intelligent Systems using the Sticker Star formula and fixing all of its issues; original characters (and not being flooded with Toads), more creative puzzles, combat system based on the original games and the like.

I'm expecting this to be like Federation Force to be honest; a game that looks interesting but is not what fans of the series want and as an result, loath and HATE the game because of it.

Wish to be wrong about this feeling.

I very much hope you're wrong as well. I don't want another Sticker Star in any way. The only real way to fix its problems would be to make it like a classic Paper Mario game. RPG please.

Oof. Rough time to have a Paper Mario announcement leaked right as poor reviews for Paper Jam are being published.

Reviews aren't that bad, their more "meh" than they are bad.

Plus if this game ends up being a traditional Paper Mario game like the original or TTYD (which we haven't gotten in over a decade) then there will probably be even more excitement for it after the tepidly received recent Mario RPGs

RK128

Just thought of something; is it out of the question that this is just an HD remaster/port of TTYD on Wii U? Localization being mentioned likely means they are adding things to the remaster or restoring things cut from the original GC version (Ex: some characterizations that existed in the EU/JP versions but not in the NA versions).

Neoxon

Am I getting my hopes up that Square might be back in the mix? I mean there was the Geno Mii costume in Smash and playable Cloud. I'd be down for Paper Mallow.
Square Enix & Nintendo have been friends again since the DS days, so I doubt it.

But seriously, as good as Super Paper Mario was, I really want a game that's more like 64 & TTYD.

Pokemaniac

Just thought of something; is it out of the question that this is just an HD remaster/port of TTYD on Wii U? Localization being mentioned likely means they are adding things to the remaster or restoring things cut from the original GC version (Ex: some characterizations that existed in the EU/JP versions but not in the NA versions).

There is no reason to assume it's a remake.

Mistle

Doubt it, you'd think the people in the know about this game would know if it's just a port.

SalvaPot

No chance, I think. Its clear this is a new game.

It's metacritic was 77, which isn't an 8.

RK128

Doubt it, you'd think the people in the know about this game would know if it's just a port.

They could not be allowed to state what kind of Paper Mario game it is but you are most likely right; original new game for the Wii U.

Would of honestly preferred a remaster of TTYD with HD visuals and GamePad support honestly.

leroidys

Certainly not noteworthy by itself, but the fact that the original Paper Mario is one of the very few N64 games for Wii U VC gives this a bit more credence in my mind.

Mory Dunz

ShockingAlberto mentioned Koopa Kids and seemed confident about it.

That's enough for me. (not that I'm excited about Koopa Kids...)

remember that time in one of the pre-Smash 4 threads where all the regulars were talking about Paper Mario and then we got a Paper Mario stage that very night

and then everyone was all "oh, it's just sticker star-themed, it should be TTYD" and then it was updated later with the TTYD section

what if we can conjure up some more GAF voodoo to do the same thing here.

(for the uninitiated, the same thing happened with the Takamaru assist trophy the day before. One of SmashGAF's best moments)

Kouriozan

I kinda liked Sticker Star, and the RPG mechanic in Super Paper Mario made me 100% it.
But I highly hope it'll be a real Paper Mario and not a spin-off like the last 2 ones.

So, it's possible we'll get a new Zelda, Pikmin, and Paper Mario on Wii U this year? Despite being on its way out, this could certainly be a better year than 2015 was for the Wii U if they can get them all.

Mistle

remember that time in one of the pre-Smash 4 threads where all the regulars were talking about Paper Mario and then we got a Paper Mario stage that very night

and then everyone was all "oh, it's just sticker star-themed, it should be TTYD" and then it was updated later with the TTYD section

what if we can conjure up some more GAF voodoo to do the same thing here.

(for the uninitiated, the same thing happened with the Takamaru assist trophy the day before. One of SmashGAF's best moments)
One of the hypest PotD moments

Top Bottom