• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Epic Games Japan: One AAA title to be announced using UE4 by the end of the year WOW

Going by the (Japanese) phrasing, it sounds like the fact that (the AAA title) uses UE4 is what will be announced, not necessarily that an entirely new title will be announced.
That's rather disappointing then, it could even be a game that's already been shown like FF7. :\

Sesha

That's rather disappointing then, it could even be a game that's already been shown like FF7. :\

That seems likely.

When Did Epic get a Japan branch and what games have come out that studio?

IIRC, it's more of a support studio to help facilitate use of UE4 for Japanese game development.

I would assume its purpose is as a sales/support office for Japanese studios using Unreal Engine.

This.

Elios83

Maybe it's FFVII remake.
They said first footage this winter, which could be as early as PSX.
And looking at what Square Enix is doing I think they'd choose UE over Luminous to speed up development and lower costs.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
When Did Epic get a Japan branch and what games have come out that studio?

Epic has support/engine development studios in Korea, Japan, the UK, and Seattle that don't produce games.

Only Chair (Utah) and their main studio (North Carolina) make games since People Can Fly was spun back off.

wmlk

Final-Fantasy-VII-1434479765820.jpg

This is so iconic. Nomura has a knack for this kind of stuff.

wmlk

I hope he'll have a knack to be totally incompetent in terms of releasing a AAA game like FFXV this time around. I'd like to have it on PS4 for one.

I don't trust his video game Director skills, especially for a game the size of FFXV and probably FFVIIR. The man can make some stupidly good trailers, though.

IIRC, it's more of a support studio to help facilitate use of UE4 for Japanese game development.

I would assume its purpose is as a sales/support office for Japanese studios using Unreal Engine.

Alright. Looks like Epic in general been on low for game making. What was their last game? I guess they're not concerned with making games when they can just sit back and make money off of Unreal Engines 3 and 4. It looks like a lot more Japanese companies are on board this time around.

Bolivar687

Banned
Alright. Looks like Epic in general been on low for game making. What was their last game? I guess they're not concerned with making games when they can just sit back and make money off of Unreal Engines 3 and 4. It looks like a lot more Japanese companies are on board this time around.

They have Ark (external), Fortnite, and the Unreal Tournament pre-alpha up on their PC client. I think they're trying to transition to the current PC model of constantly-evolving free to play games, while making most of their money on licensing the engine. It's probably more in line with Tencent, who has a controlling interest in them I believe.

_machine

This is not "sitting back and making money off": Unreal Engine 4 Roadmap. I do like working with the engine, but it's more than fair that they are concentrating on that. They still do have both their game studios working on game projects though (Fortnite, UT, unannounced Chair project).

Trevelyan

Banned
Yeah, I'm definitely going with Sony Bend. We know it's using UE4, and they're due for an announcement, considering it's been close to 4 years since U:GA shipped.

Most likely Bend at PSX.

Top Bottom