• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Erdogan's Bodyguards Rough Up Protesters Again on US Soil (The Atlantic)

Piecake

A new video shows what appears to be the Turkish president’s security detail roughing up protesters during a speech Recep Tayyip Erdogan made Thursday in New York to a Turkish-American group.

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2017/09/erdogan-security-new-york/540702/

https://www.amerikaninsesi.com/a/er...80.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Both links have videos

And here is what Trump just said about Erdogan today

President Donald Trump on Thursday said Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan is “getting very high marks,” despite his increasingly autocratic behavior.

“It’s a great honor and privilege — because he’s become a friend of mine — to introduce President Erdogan of Turkey,” Trump told reporters. “He’s running a very difficult part of the world. He’s involved very, very strongly and, frankly, he’s getting very high marks.”

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/21/trump-erdogan-turkey-praise-242986

epmode

I'd be shocked if the White House said anything negative about this. It's basically an aspirational video for Trump.

Having watched that a few times, I think what is happening is that the protesters are being attacked by Pro-Erdogan Turkish civilians and then hustled out by the security team. A lot of people are wearing suits so it's hard to tell the difference but that's what I make of it.
Unlike the previous incident which was fucking outrageous.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Having watched that a few times, I think what is happening is that the protesters are being attacked by Pro-Erdogan Turkish civilians and then hustled out by the security team. A lot of people are wearing suits so it's hard to tell the difference but that's what I make of it.
Unlike the previous incident which was fucking outrageous.

They still attacked American citizens in our country. It's still reprehensible.

cameron

jD5iDZj.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMqyTrSJG2o
Marriott Hotels spokeswoman Kathleen Duffy said the "men in dark suits who were security officers in the ballroom" Thursday afternoon were Erdogan's guys. They were "hired by the client, not the hotel," she wrote in an email.
https://patch.com/new-york/midtown-...-bodyguard-punches-nyc-protester-witness-says

They still attacked American citizens in our country. It's still reprehensible.

I think it's possible that the security people were removing the protesters for their own safety. Watch it again. They don't attack, they just hustle them, out, it's the crowd who are attacking them. Just to be clear, I'm not some kind of pro-Erdogan shill, that's just what it looks like to me.

Like in the gif above, the guy who comes in with the punch isn't part of the security team, he's just wearing a suit, look how they react to him.

Piecake

I think it's possible that the security people were removing the protesters for their own safety. Watch it again. They don't attack, they just hustle them, out, it's the crowd who are attacking them. Just to be clear, I'm not some kind of pro-Erdogan shill, that's just what it looks like to me.

One of the security guards punches a protester twice.

My guess is that he is a guard because he is wearing the same thing as the guards. I see no reason to assume that he is just some bloke in a suit.

OK so watch the video again. As the action kicks off we see some dude being dragged off the protester in the white shirt by the security detail, who then drag white shirt out of the hall but before they get clear dark grey suit man comes over from the right, it looks like from one of the seats and punches white shirt twice, before security react and then we can't see what happens next.

in the later incident, you can see the security moving the protester through the crowd but it's the crowd that are attacking the protester.

Malvolio

The fact Trump says, “He’s running a very difficult part of the world," is revealing to me. Leaders lead, they don't run their country. Maybe I'm just cracker hatin' but it stood out as a typical moronic statement to me.

Piecake

OK so watch the video again. As the action kicks off we see some dude being dragged off the protester in the white shirt by the security detail, who then drag white shirt out of the hall but before they get clear dark grey suit man comes over from the right, it looks like from one of the seats and punches white shirt twice, before security react and then we can't see what happens next.

in the later incident, you can see the security moving the protester through the crowd but it's the crowd that are attacking the protester.

I don't see any reaction from the bodyguards after he punched that dude. Plus, why is just some bloke in a suit following the security detail outside of his own free will?

So he can punch the dude some more and then get detained by the security detail?

Either that guy is a guard or an idiot.

18-Volt

I really want to see Erdogan's face when a brand new country becomes a neighbour of Turkey on September 25th. Saltiness will be off the charts.

not sure why trump is cucking for erdogan.

There is literally a street named after Trump in Turkey, courtesy of Erdogan.

He's probably an idiot then, no shortage of them. You really don't see them lunge forward after he takes his two punches? Ok then.

I think the story here, besides Trump cosying up to yet another human-rights abusing dictatorial 'strong-man' scumbag, is that protesters were beaten for expressing their right to free speech on US soil. The beating may have come from civilians as opposed to Turkish security types but it's still bad.

Xe4

Banned
It is absolutely unbelievable we haven't kicked out Turkish ambassadors yet. It's clear the government of Turkey don't deserve our respect.

Maybe if we had someone half competent in the Whitehouse we'd do something. Alas.

Seems like it wasn't just the bodyguards. Some of them seemed to be calling for calm and even ended up taking hits from crazy Erdogan supporters while trying to remove the protesters. I know Erdogan keeps getting invites because of Nato, but he clearly brings trouble and puts US citizens in danger when he comes.

Top Bottom