• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Esquire: 1 Minute of a Summer Game Fest Trailer costs $250,000

Draugoth

Gold Member
According to pricing details shared with me by multiple marketing professionals who requested anonymity, running a trailer during Summer Game Fest’s main show this year cost $250,000 for 1 minute, $350,000 for 1.5 minutes, $450,000 for 2 minutes, and $550,000 for 2.5 minutes. They also say last year’s edition of The Game Awards featured the same pricing tiers.

If you add up all of the 1-to-2.5-minute trailers aired during last year’s Summer Game Fest, those price levels could translate into a $9.65 million haul for the main show alone. Of course, last year’s prices may have been different, and I don’t know how to account for shorter, 30-second trailers, nor the longer segments where Keighley invites a developer onstage.

For many smaller and independent studios, these sums are astronomical—sometimes far more than their entire marketing budget for an individual game. “The current pricing tiers make Summer Game Fest an unattainable goal for most indie developers and publishers,” a PR professional who represents indie games told me. But several marketing and PR folks at larger studios say these trailer premieres are worth the spend. “As far as general brand awareness, the impact is pretty huge,” one of them says. “The caveat here is that it depends on the placement and trailer length. Longer slots perform better and seem to drive more coverage, whereas short trailers don't capture quite the same attention.”

Source

Last edited:

Dazraell

Gold Member
Geoff after each of his events
Super League Money GIF by Anderson .Paak

TVexperto

unfuckingbelievable that companies are paying him that much for him to sit in a shitty office room in front of a shitty webcam

Last edited:

ProtoByte

Well no fucking wonder he's not getting any major announcements.

I'm surprised Keighley and his team are this stupid. This is the exact same shit that got E3 out of the picture. Only SGF doesn't have the excuse of hosting massive venues in LA for a week.

Sure, it's the indie publishers making the noise about it, but large publishers aren't going to want to spend that kind of money when they can just put out digital trailers at their own convenience.

StueyDuck

According to pricing details shared with me by multiple marketing professionals who requested anonymity, running a trailer during Summer Game Fest’s main show this year cost $250,000 for 1 minute, $350,000 for 1.5 minutes, $450,000 for 2 minutes, and $550,000 for 2.5 minutes. They also say last year’s edition of The Game Awards featured the same pricing tiers.

Source
Explains why most of geoffs shows are filler nonsense tencent fake China games.

Last edited:

Kssio_Aug

Fucking ridiculous. American culture and corporations are a cancer. All that money could be used for good and instead just wasted af. We deserve no good future.
It is a sad reality, I agree. But companies pay that amount of money because they believe that will bring them even more money back. This is just one minor aspect of the industry, and being so profitable is why they're spending hundred millions to make games.

And therein is the problem -- you're too expensive for the indies and smaller publishers to afford you, and the bigger publishers who can afford you would rather just do their own presentations. So you don't really get much of anything of note.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
Fucking ridiculous. American culture and corporations are a cancer. All that money could be used for good and instead just wasted af. We deserve no good future.
I agree, I should be able to advertise my super-cool mix tape CD during superbowl for like $20.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Can’t wait for his customary 3 mins of gushing about World of Tanks. Keighley and his shows fucking stink. Bring back e3.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
That is a LOT of dew my bros!

I don't know much about Geoff, but does he host these shows because he is just a super nerd and loves games or is he a conceited narcissist on the level of black hole?
He hosts them because he makes money out of them. He is the smartest person to ever come out of gaming journalism thrash pile.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Three coupons for free drinks at the bar.

Soda and beer only, no hard liquor. Fortunately Kyle is the type of guy that orders chocolate milk everywhere he goes.
I DO like me some Kyle Bossman youtube. Never followed him before but am aware of his previous work.

I am assuming he also gets a ton of shirts, hoodies, and body wraps.

Wildebeest

That's more than twitch streamers get for looking bored while playing a game on stream for two hours. I expect them to be raging.

Last edited:
Consider me dumb. Quite very dumb. I thought it was some kind of quid pro quo thing going on. Youtube makes money from ads during the live streams and sponsors - they pay Geoff / his company to run it and trailers were ran for free. Publisher gets marketing and the event gets content for people to tune in.

But as I say quite dumb. Nothing for nothing in this world.

Top Bottom