• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Esquire: 1 Minute of a Summer Game Fest Trailer costs $250,000

thatJohann

Wow. Didn’t know they were that pricey. I kinda thought they were super cheap or free tbh given they’re posted on YouTube so quickly.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Imagine youre a dev paying that kind of money to show your stuff and then you have dipshit Keighley publically telling everyone to manage their expectations on what is going to be shown 🤣🤣

OOF

ZehDon

This might be worth it for unknown games looking to get access to a few million views and kick start their discoverability push... but "no new announcements".

Not sure I see the value here.

Evildoomnerd

Neo Member
fire burn GIF
: "It cost $50,004 to run Summer Games Fest for 12 seconds..."

RickSanchez

So he made $ 9 million from that shitshow of a Game Awards last year but couldn't pay to rent the venue for an extra hour so that the award winners could make proper speeches ?

Fuck that greedy asshole

Barakov

Gold Member
Any established dev/studio would be better off just dumping their trailers on youtube/social media and calling it a day. No wonder everyone is doing directs now.

Won't be surprised to see GSF and The Game Awards going the way of E3 with this current trajectory.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I know firsthand that The Game Awards was super expensive. I'm curious how well Summer Games Fest trailers actually convert... it feels like it's part of a weird hodgepodge of events right now rather than the primary focal point.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
I know firsthand that The Game Awards was super expensive. I'm curious how well Summer Games Fest trailers actually convert... it feels like it's part of a weird hodgepodge of events right now rather than the primary focal point.
Conversion rates and ROI has been a trouble for marketing since its inception. You cannot clearly link marketing spend to uplift in sales unless the acquisition channel is fully digital.

Gallard

Yeah, I can see why companies would just host their own shows. Why pay hundreds of thousands to E3 or to SGF when you can just post it to youtube.

If the game looks like shit, no one's going to care how grand the stage was. And if it looks badass, it'll spread organically through word of mouth

Darsxx82

E3 was 20 times more expensive. Shit costed millions
20x? no, what an exaggeration!!!

The E.3 was a party for gamers, and yes, it wasn't cheap, but it was an event. Then they moved to streaming to reduce costs, but little by little It are becoming a business for a few (Geoff) and increasingly expensive and inaccessible for the majority of editors and Studios.

That is to say, the original idea of reducing costs has been distorted, it has become a business for a few and we players have lost the party and event of the year of video games.

Kenpachii

Not surprised by it, even twitch people with 10k+ viewers get like 20k a hour to play games as ad.

Marketing stuff is expensive.

You can't sell a product without audience.
Maybe, but I assume 90% of all advertised stuff would sell anyway. The costs of ad campaigns feel just too ridiculous to actually cash back the investments.
But I am sure the marketing guys have done several studies showing how important they are for all the products' successes. They are mostly wasting everyone's time for mostly no actual gains but at least don't print too big to fail money based on fantasies like banks do, so there is more dangerous scum below them.

feynoob

Gold Member
Maybe, but I assume 90% of all advertised stuff would sell anyway. The costs of ad campaigns feel just too ridiculous to actually cash back the investments.
But I am sure the marketing guys have done several studies showing how important they are for all the products' successes. They are mostly wasting everyone's time for mostly no actual gains but at least don't print too big to fail money based on fantasies like banks do, so there is more dangerous scum below them.
The attention span in this generation is small, so you need advertisements to put your names out there.

Fir example, this site is a primary source for advertising. It allows people to learn about all the upcoming games.

So spending that much money is away for any site to pick up the news ix your product and showcase them on their platforms for free.

100k people seeing that ad is worth to them, as that it going to translate to sales.

Frwrd

He would still get the money...it's his platform right? His personality during these shows isn't super compelling or engaging for me*, I just wonder why he chooses to do the hosting duties.
I genuinely rather listen all day to Geoff than having to put up with some blue haired bitch from SF, let alone hear Trevor Noah breathing ever again…

That is a LOT of dew my bros!

I don't know much about Geoff, but does he host these shows because he is just a super nerd and loves games or is he a conceited narcissist on the level of a black hole?
All of the above is sort of irrelevant to the fact that advertising is hugely expensive, regardless of the industry you’re talking about. It’s got nothing to do with Geoff individually. It’s industry standard pricing and supply and demand.

Last edited:
Shouldn't it be Geoff paying for the trailers, and not the other way around? It make sense for trailers like a new season of Fortnite or CoD Warzone to appear as sponsors, but I can't see why Kojima or Capcom would not only give their trailers away but also pay 250k for Geoff. Dumbest investment I've ever seen, if that's the case.

Z O N E

I kind of wish Xbox turns their event into more of a gaming event and starts off with their showcase and then shows other 3rd party titles after for free rather than charging developers.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
No wonder Sony and Nintendo just do their own shows basically now. I like Geoffs enthusiasm and candour but he needs to de-capitalise these shows a bit. I understand advertising is required but he’s running the risk of just becoming the new E3 but not as good and then it will just fall apart again.

Fbh

That's enough to buy like 62.500 bags of Doritos.
Which is enough to eat 2 bags of doritos every single day for your entire life

Yeah, I can see why companies would just host their own shows. Why pay hundreds of thousands to E3 or to SGF when you can just post it to youtube.

I bet they give free or heavily discounted slots to some major publishers/devs if they have something exciting to announce. Like I bet Kojima doesn't pay.
They still need some decent reveals and big games for people to tune in so they need to make it attractive to major publishers.

Then they can charge 250.000 to mid tier projects and the ever increasing flood of Chinese games

WitchHunter

Banned
There is an actual youtube face those people have who rake in a lot of money :D. Geoff is one example. Emotionless visage, like noone is at home, forming the words, something comes out of their mouth, but it's like a robot pulling the strings inside. They already died, but enjoying the money flowing in.

These companies should tell him to pound sand and just put their trailers on youtube for free
Well, the yt algo is a bucket of shit. Have you seen craftsmen with absolute stunning videos getting 500 to a few thousand or so views, while the nothing extra whales in the same category getting millions? And they don't even hit the 2K subscriber limit, so they get nothing from their work. It's an absolutely ridiculous shitshow what yt is doing. And the retarded people just pump up more and more videos about their craft, exposing their livelihood that they perfected for 10s of years for fucking views and zero money. Which will at some point gonna be used to train AI. And creating more and more shorts, which nets them even less money. Of course companies pay insane money to expose their shitty product to the public.

Last edited:

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
That is a LOT of dew my bros!

I don't know much about Geoff, but does he host these shows because he is just a super nerd and loves games or is he a conceited narcissist on the level of a black hole?
Both

Those shows are expensive, and that's one of the reasons E3 died. Can't blame the man for that. Emphasis "on that"

Guilty_AI

And people wonder why the game's shown are shit. No developer worth their salt, confident enough in their games will chuck out this kind of money when they're already getting attention by just having a great product on their hands.

Top Bottom