• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European Court of Human Rights: Ban on Muslim full-face veil legal

No, I believe that religion often hinders individualism in society.

It's pretty ironic that you think I'm the one who thinks everyone needs to behave the same way while defending an idealism that often pushes that very way of thinking.

And again, they have a reason beyond not agreeing with them on religious grounds.

I'm not defending religion. You can go back and read all my posts and see where I ever said anything nice about religion. I'm defending individual choice, which is literally the definition of individualism.

You think the woman who challenged the law is "expecting Belgium to integrate into her culture", which according to you is a bad thing. You don't value her individual choice, you want her to be quiet or else she is expecting Belgium to integrate to her culture. Did I read your post wrong?

DrSlek

People in totalitarian societies are often brainwashed into believing they are free.

If the veil isn't sexist, then why don't muslim men wear one?

I believe the Tuareg Islamic tribe does exactly that. Women don't cover their faces, but men do.

I'm not defending religion. You can go back and read all my posts and see where I ever said anything nice about religion. I'm defending individual choice, which is literally the definition of individualism.

You think the woman who challenged the law is "expecting Belgium to integrate into her culture", which according to you is a bad thing. You don't value her individual choice, you want her to be quiet or else she is expecting Belgium to integrate to her culture. Did I read your post wrong?
You're basing it off individual choice where the main determining factor in that choice is religion. They're pretty inseparable in this situation. Especially considering the influence religion has in the existence of the choice even existing.

I also didn't say she should be quiet. She can complain about it all she wants. I'm just saying I don't think the ban is a bad thing.

But I don't think we are going to see eye to eye on this one YAV. It's time for bed.

Do we really need to specify on every page why the scarf example is a goddamn false equivalence? Also, I remeber talking about needlessly concealing the face a couple of post back. Guess that needs to be repeated every time too

No, you said I should be recognizable in public. If I'm covering my face with a scarf, then I'm not recognizable. The problem persists.

Covering her face is not needless as far as that woman is concerned. Who is the government to decide what is purposeful or needless? If I want to wear a horse mask to get a laugh out of my friends, is that needless? Do I need a government permit for this, or risk being fined?

Not all infringements result in jail time. There are fines, you know.

What if I don't pay those fines?

If you can't comprehend why such a a law has been conceived and accepted maybe you don't understand how much this actually helps public security

The onus is on the person proposing the law to prove it helps with public security.

ZdkDzk

I'm not saying this isn't a problem that should be dealt with immediately. I'm saying that this isn't anything close to a good solution. The niqab isn't FGM, and this ban is almost gaurenteed to worsen relations for no real reason other than to have an (imo) unnecessary law be uniformly applied.

Like I said earlier, I'm not comming at this from a moral standpoint. When I ask the question "does this help solve the problem?" I come up with "no, in fact it's almost gaurenteed to make things worse, who let things get this far." I'm probably starting to sound like a broken record at this point.

The point is that you should be recognisable on the fly by authorities and witnesses while in public. The only exceptions should be approved public manifestations.

Also, I'll need some evidence for that "they mostly reveal themselves when asked from authorities" claim

So then why not just pass a law that says if the police etc ask someone to remove their head coverings (potentially with conditions to avoid abuse) that they have to comply. That way they can express their faith untill it interferes with the state, rather than forbidding it outright because it might.

I honestly can't think of many situations where the not hiding your face would be beneficial to you. Like, maybe if someone kidnapped you in broad daylight and people were around to see, but they couldn't identify you. If you're going to do something illegal, you were probably already planning to hide your identity.

No. But again, no one has to integrate an aspect of your culture into theirs just because you want them to. I also don't believe it's Belgium's responsibility to spearhead the progress of someone else's culture. It's only their responsibility to worry about what they think is best for their culture.

So maybe this is where my American side starts showing, but Belgium's responsibility is to its citizens, regardless of culture. That includes the growing Muslim/ME community. Those people aren't just going to throw away everything they've ever known and lockstep into being model Belgian citizens. That's a pipe dream (and honestly sounds pretty terrible).

Real talk, have there been any direct attempts at integration? I'm talking outreach from politicians and bureacrats, community organized whatevers, changes to the educational curriculum, organizatons working to help improve relations, anything at all really.

Because I'm not very knowledgeable on the subject, but all I've ever casually run into is "tensions are getting higher as integration continues to not happen". Like, I just did a quick google search for France and all I got was a bunch of people from the Muslim community saying they wish the French government would do more (and in some cases anything) to help furthure integration.

You can't just give people nationalization test and expect integration to just happen. I might be super wrong (again) and there might be some dort of program (maybe in other countries), but I havent come across anything. I get that these communities can be insular and the sudden influx of immigrants is putting on a lot of pressure, but if France is anything to go by, there are many Muslims who are currently reaching out and this divide isn't new.

BBboy20

This thread is turning into the leftest version of the ends-justifying-the-means. =/

And enough with this passive aggressive bullshit, we need each other to save this world.

digdug2k

I've mentioned it before but, Battered Wife Syndrome. The psychological aspect of it, atleast.

In the case of Niqabs, I doubt any self-respecting woman wears one out of choice. It's either pressure from religion, from their family, from their husband...Niqabs are garments meant to oppress, not empower.

It's funny someone earlier mentioned that a person can wear it out of individual agency, whilst quoting a picture of various women wearing the NIqab, where their individuality was erased and where they all looked the same.

It's why I don't take anecdotes of 'I wear a niqab and do it out of choice' seriously. It's no different from people who self-hate themselves due to the color of their skin, or their place in society. It's just a repressed self.
Lol. You realize how post-fact this sounds? "I don't care what they say. I know what these women are really thinking. Also, I'm a super feminist!" I was at a theme park in Malaysia last week and lots of women seemed pretty happy wearing these. Out with boyfriends and families. Laughing. Playing in the water with their kids. I know they'd all tell you they do it to honor God and that it was their own choice. They again, maybe they just all lack any self-respect.

Horp

What if I don't pay those fines?
Huh? Thats the same for every law with fines as punishment. If you live in a country with certain laws, you are expected to obey them. If you dont, you can get fined, then you pay that fine. If you dont pay that fine, then you are breaking another law; so of course there is another punishment. Maybe a higher fine? If you dont pay THAT fine, you are breakinng another law. Sooner or later it might lead to jail time.
But saying this law leads to violence against women is the same as saying that a law that fines you for littering means that we have a society that jails people for littering; cause what if they dont pay the fine, Huh?

Fucking lol.

Osahi

1)Social conventions can be changed. There is no reason why nudity or niqab can't be a part of accepted social convention. It's made up. That's why we try to make laws not based on social convention, but on evidence and reason. Using draconian laws to affirm "social conventions" that are only excuses to curb civil liberties should concern everybody.

2)Then how can you enforce a ban? What happens if she doesn't pay a fine or doesn't take off her niqab? In the end, you must use violence against women to back this law up.

3)It seems arbitrary. You said you want to ban niqab because it goes social conventions. Valls and the FN politicians said much the same thing, but about the burkini. Do you see how the logic extends, and can be used to justify other tyrannical measures?

4)Well, I don't disagree with you on that. I don't want secularism to be used as an excuse for authoritarianism, though. It should be liberal secularism, it should be neutral. Banning the niqab specifically is not secular or neutral.

5)The argument against the ban is that you are also persecuting the women who wear it freely. You're also not helping those who don't get to wear it by choice. There is often a worse fate that awaits them (e.g. not being allowed to go outside anymore), and the situation deteriorates. That's not to mention the other negative social effects of such a law

With this niqab ban, you are literally persecuting Muslims for practising their faith. It's not even debatable, it's by definition. You are using state violence against a religious group that prohibits the free practice of their faith. It's not equivalent to gay marriage at all.

6)There should be extremely high scrutiny for any law that infringes on civil liberties. That people's logic is basically "I don't like thing; ban it" is disconcerting. There are women who are being oppressed by being forced to wear it, yes. There are other women who choose to wear it as an expression of their faith. If that makes them happy, who am I to tell they can't do that? They are not harming anyone. Their body, their rules.

1) You can absolutely make laws based on social conventions. The law that forbids stealing is a social convention. There are cultures where the concept of ownership is different from ours, and where the concept of stealing doesn't really exist (If I'm not mistaken, some Rom-cultures).
And you are exagerating the extent of this law. It's a law that states we as a society don't want people to cover their faces and hide their identity in public, for various reasons. Yes, it limits a civic liberty, but all laws do. The Belgian law that handles the ownership and carrying of firearms limits my freedom to own a gun and openly carry it (note: I am absolutely against legalisation of gun carry/ownership). It might make me feel like I'm being 'oppressed' in my liberty, it might make me feel more uncomfortable. But when you are part of a society, you adhere to its rules. Why should religion get exemptions? We have a democratic system in place to have these rules from the ground up. It's not a perfect system, but it's the best we as a society could manage to organise us, while still offering as much freedom as we can to the citizens.

2) This is such an exageration. You paint the picture as if women are being jailed for wearing a niqab. Like someone else allready said, if you extent this logic you can be jailed for speeding or littering too. There are many ways to collect fines, and there are many steps until jail time is even considered.

3) In that logic, every logic behind a law can be extended to something terrible. I don't agree with Valls and the lot about the burkini, because I am of the opinion having a visible face is the line we draw. Is that arbitrary? Yes. Is it arbitrary I can only speed up to 120 kmh on the highway and not 130 without risking a fine. Yes. Laws are arbitrary, as you have to draw the lines in which society operates.

To me, and the Belgian government, that is: you can wear what you want, but in public you show your face. This is for many reasons, and one of the main ones for me is that the face is the most important aspect of the human body to identify someone (and I'm not only speaking about police identifying someone, but also during regular social contact). It is also a very important aspect of non-verbal communication. As a society we democratically decided we don't want women (or man) to hide themselves behind a veil or mask. And that is something a society is allowed to do in my opinion. You can find this patriarchal, but sorry, laws are. The state says I can't do drugs and can't speed. That's patriarchal and limiting my freedoms.

4) This law is neutral. It doesn't single anyone out. It even lays out the ground rules for how we behave in a neutral space: public.

5)Like I said before in point 3. A society can decide they don't want a certain thing. Belgium has decided the niqab does not have a place in public life, even if you want to wear one. The ban on drugs also affectss drug users who safely and responsibly use drugs. The gun ban does affect responsible gun owners. It's not because a law affects some group, it's not a good law.

Banning the niqab at least doesn't normalise it, which should lead to less women being subjected to wearing one. If women aren't allowed to go outside because of this ban, then their husbands are abusive, and we have laws and measures against that too. Again, one doesn't exclude the other, and the negative effects of a ban can be fought with other measures.

6) This law went up to the Human Rights court. There is no more scrutiny than that.

So maybe this is where my American side starts showing, but Belgium's responsibility is to its citizens, regardless of culture. That includes the growing Muslim/ME community. Those people aren't just going to throw away everything they've ever known and lockstep into being model Belgian citizens. That's a pipe dream (and honestly sounds pretty terrible).

Real talk, have there been any direct attempts at integration? I'm talking outreach from politicians and bureacrats, community organized whatevers, changes to the educational curriculum, organizatons working to help improve relations, anything at all really.

Because I'm not very knowledgeable on the subject, but all I've ever casually run into is "tensions are getting higher as integration continues to not happen". Like, I just did a quick google search for France and all I got was a bunch of people from the Muslim community saying they wish the French government would do more (and in some cases anything) to help furthure integration.

You can't just give people nationalization test and expect integration to just happen. I might be super wrong (again) and there might be some dort of program (maybe in other countries), but I havent come across anything. I get that these communities can be insular and the sudden influx of immigrants is putting on a lot of pressure, but if France is anything to go by, there are many Muslims who are currently reaching out and this divide isn't new.

Offcourse we don't just give nationality and be done with it. There are problems with integration, but painting the picture like Belgium (or France) are shitholes of cultural and racial tension, without any attempt to integrate communities is completely besides the point.

There are many organisations, lots of them government funded, tasked with integration. People get access to language classes, and get versed in social conventions. There are lots of social workers active in areas with a dominant migrant population. There are a lot of inititatives to reach out to kids on the streets. There are antidiscrimination laws. We have an organisation called Unia, that is tasked with combatting discrimination of any kind... Hell, for over 10 years migrants without the Belgian nationality have the right to vote.

And while there are problems in certain neighbourhoods and with certain communities, you mustn't forget that the majority of our migrant and muslim community is perfectly integrated. We have muslim mayors in some villages. (In my home town with a big Turkish community we have Turks on the city council) We have a muslim leader of the green party (a woman, no less). We have a female Kurdish state secretary in our government (she is from the rightwing nationalist party even, and has shitty views, but she is a second generation migrant). On tv muslims and migrants are ever better represented. Two of our most famous directors are muslim guys in their twenties. Etc.

The woman who challenged the law is Belgian. It says so in the article. No one is forcing Belgium to do anything, quite the opposite. It is the Belgian government that is using government force against women to conform to rules (made by the majority male Belgian parliament).

This law came to be with a close to 100% Yes-vote in Parlement. Which is majority male yes, but at the time still had around 40% females in it, including muslim women.

Audioboxer

You have a strange view of and obsession with 'culture'. Apparently, you think culture should dictate how everyone should behave (banning the face coverings), and don't value individualism very much. Sorry, but I reject this. I don't need to be tied down by any 'culture', my culture has never done me any good. People should be free to live how they please, that is the definition of a free society.

If that is your definition then there is no such thing as a free society. Even America which has far more relaxed speech regulation than anywhere else has many social expectations and from that laws and regulations. I still fail to understand why some think "my culture" is like a golden ticket to follow up with "I can live how I want and do whatever I please". If "your culture" supports and does things which are against the law of the land, or socially frowned upon, you will end up facing criticism at best and potentially legal intervention at worst. Just like you cannot cut the clitoris off young girls, beat women with sticks, have sex with minors and then marry a child to a man in most Western countries and say "my culture". If your response is if I cannot sew up my daughter's vagina then she isn't getting out the house then... yeah. Or if you try to demand you're the victim for not being allowed to marry/have sex with a literal child... yeah. There are plenty of cultural or religious traditions we will say aren't welcome, and do actively legislate against/in contradiction to if possible. Those that follow the religion in question usually have to accept the country they are in won't allow such things and find a way themselves to co-exist with those decisions/laws of the land. That's how it's been for a long time now in most secular societies. We do not rule by religious law so there is going to be times each of the popular religions face people from within not getting their way in the society they live in. If you can turn around and say no religion is a monolith and its followers can all interpret and view things differently, then you should be able to accept laws/regulations will also view religious followers as the diverse groups they are and at times specifically target problematic behaviours from some. That is not instantly an "attack!" on the whole religion and all its followers unless you try to frame it as that for whatever agenda you have. As I said many posts ago I do not think it's really about trying to reform religious texts but going after those who use their religion as a way to condone/participate in terrible behaviours. Behaviour needs to be reformed in societies at times, and sometimes that can be through legislation as well as education and on-going pressure/debate.

I'm not saying this isn't a problem that should be dealt with immediately. I'm saying that this isn't anything close to a good solution. The niqab isn't FGM, and this ban is almost gaurenteed to worsen relations for no real reason other than to have an (imo) unnecessary law be uniformly applied.

Most decisions around religion or dogmatic belief are framed with "there will be casualties! think of the oppressors!". Same sex marriage had people say they could never go to a church that would legally marry two gay people, it was an affront to God, our countries are turning into perverted cesspools, "I'm a victim because these gays are getting married!" etc, etc. This is causing a stir now too http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40546644 Yet again more bigotry around sexuality/normal human behaviour and complexities of life. It was a fair question earlier in the thread that stated if you think women truly won't be able to leave their homes then that is really something else. If anything that shows you why action is/may be needed to be taken now when the numbers of full-face veils are lower in societies. What's the outcome of years down the line if there is a lot more? Ah well, we cannot do anything now there is simply far too many women wearing them!... Of course if you actually want to see more in your country and think it's a good thing women wear them, then demanding inaction is exactly one way you will get your way.

Huh? Thats the same for every law with fines as punishment. If you live in a country with certain laws, you are expected to obey them. If you dont, you can get fined, then you pay that fine. If you dont pay that fine, then you are breaking another law; so of course there is another punishment. Maybe a higher fine? If you dont pay THAT fine, you are breakinng another law. Sooner or later it might lead to jail time.
But saying this law leads to violence against women is the same as saying that a law that fines you for littering means that we have a society that jails people for littering; cause what if they dont pay the fine, Huh?

Fucking lol.

Pretty much. Regulation like this would not equal instant on the spot jail sentences for goodness sake. It would be asking if someone knew about the laws and that the full-face veils are not socially permitted in public and to please remove them. Probably multiple counts of that polite asking well before any notion of a fine, and then even with a fine for repeated offences it would most likely be repeated well before a request for further punishment. That seems to link into those saying all women now can't leave the home. The follow up is all these women are now going to jail! It's a strange mix of hysteria and victim-blaming. Would some be told they couldn't leave the home? Possibly, maybe even quite a few. However, that is on the fantastic, loving, caring and supportive husband as well as the family. Just as it's on any families who disown/kick out their teenagers for being gay. Families and partners do horrific things and when possible the government/police can and will intervene if serious abuse is taking place. If things can't get proven or go unreported then sadly welcome to the current world where supposed loved ones do terrible terrible terrible things to their significant others. Sometimes in the name of religion, other times simply because they're horrible people. I mean, there's making mistakes in life and then there is actually telling your wife she cannot leave her own home unless her face is covered. In 2017.

No, it's (full-face veils) not a path many people want to support or see propagate and as more countries fail to reason with people and oppressors you may see more legislative action. If you want to see true dictatorships and places in the world where you can hardly do anything with your individual agency, you can do some reading/exploring/travelling. Most places in the EU have tremendously high levels of freedom and autonomy, but that doesn't mean absolutely anything will go from now until the end of time. Countries routinely think over what will and will not be acceptable in society and try and change. Full-face veils are largely a growing trend in some countries and it's obviously resulting in places having to consider something that hasn't been a social issue for them in the past. As said multiple times in the topic now full-faced veils haven't been a component of Christianity or Catholicism which are the two main religions most of the EU countries have had to grapple with the longest. As Islam grows, which for the umpteenth time I will say there is no problem with that (especially in places that value freedom of religion), it's when you may see more full-face veils and resulting discussions of their part in a society. Countries in the EU have had little to no concern with turbans/headscarves/kippah/crosses/other reasonable clothing/garbs. Full-face veils are far beyond any of those, and I would seriously question anyone that wants to make an argument they're simply in the same category as every other piece of religious clothing/garb. They truly aren't, from the practicalities of what they do to someone, to all of the history behind them.

Finally, yes, many in here want to prop up the one poster we have so far that wears full-face veils and seemingly both wants to and states it is a fundamental requirement of their life to wear it. You can find this anywhere in life where someone is subjected to humiliation or practices in life that are objectively detrimental to their well-being/health. Heck, you can probably find at least one woman around the world who will say it's okay she underwent FGM, there are moral/ethical/religious reasons why it had to happen. It's often the mothers or grandmothers who actively carry out FGM on their own daughter/grandchild... Females doing it to other females! There are women who do not want legal control over their reproductive systems. There are women who will actively engage in subjecting their sons or daughters to pre-arranged marriage, if not child marriages and say it's okay and their choice. The point here being yes, I think you have to approach that GAFer with as much respect and compassion you would any other person, but no, simply because they make a case for how they seemingly cannot function without a full-face veil does not mean a society has to then say, well, that's it folks, we can find some people who say it's acceptable. There is ALWAYS someone somewhere saying something we may legislate against is acceptable/shouldn't be regulated. Christians and Catholics have done that for generations in the EU, constantly brought out fierce opposition to lots of social change, and if our societies just said: "well, there you go, someone isn't happy with our proposed plans, scrap them all!" then we'd never get anything done. It's not simply dismissing other people's views/opinions, it's often making educated and well-researched decisions for the greater good and politely saying to people, you'll have to find a way to continue living on and contributing to this society even with any new regulation/law. We do not support a tyranny of the minority at all times, nor do we simply say whatever the majority say we will never question it. It's a balancing act somewhere in the middle. In this case, the evidence against how destructive and oppressive the full-face veil is, is well founded and considered. The debate should be more around what to do/how to do it, rather than anyone truly trying to argue the full-face veil is empowering/a sign of feminism or socially positive for women. Some things in life have so many negative consequences it's okay to admit it, and it doesn't make you a bigot, intolerant or against the plight of the religious. The absolute fear you can sense in some people when it comes to discussing anything to do with a religion can be downright perplexing at times. You end up with well-rounded people arguing for things they'd never argue for in any other context (Ignoring this post/ignoring activists & feminists where the full-face veil is out in large majorities, to say I can find some women who say it's tolerable! Checkmate). I personally, and some others, can only seem to draw a conclusion this happens if a religion is deemed to be the "minority" in a country, so as an extension of being associated with the definition of "minority" people are squeamish to criticise in any shape or form. Swing it around to Christianity and Catholicism? No problem, here's what I honestly think of things some of those followers are advocating for. Hence why I've purposefully tried to bring up Christianity/Catholicism in many of my posts, to try and illustrate all religious belief/dogma is equally valid to come under scrutiny for the belief/behaviour of its followers in our societies. People in minority positions can often see due care and consideration given to them and their voice, understandable/commendable, but when it's actions or beliefs done in the name of religion then said dogma is criticisable at all times no matter if your the Church of Scientology, the Pope/Vatican or Islam.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
It's sad but it's not a good moral argument for tolerating religiously motivated female oppression in society and an attack on social cohesion. Countries have to do some soul searching and consider whether the message they want to send out is that anything goes no matter how heinous and dehumanising as long as scripture advocates it. I never want the niqab to be considered normal and so have it be forced on even more women, we will have failed as a society if we let it.

wartama says she wears it based on her own interpretation of scripture regarding modesty but that's the same argument advocates of FGM and husbands being able to beat their wives use, of which there are many female muslim advocates of both, complicit in the oppression of their own. Like, I'm sorry that her internalised misogyny has her believing that cutting herself off from most of society like that is how she needs to express her faith but that doesn't mean people have to like and accept it as somehow compatible with female emancipation rather than a means of male supremacy and the weird double standards of modesty in Islam because it simply isn't.
This

That's a huge slippery slope. What if a woman feels other women wearing lipstick or makeup makes her feel oppressed because it forces her to compete? Ban cosmetics?
"That's a huge slippery slope", he said, immediately following that up with a slippery slope.

Priceless lol

I think you need to hang around feminist spaces more.
Are you a woman? Because as a woman that sounds like crazy mansplaining to me. Accusing EmiPrime of not being feminist enough is hilariously pathetic.

Makeup and cosmetics are used by the patriarchy to enforce male's preferences onto women. If you're a woman, good luck getting a job after not wearing makeup to a job interview. Makeup is very regularly a part of dress code. Your logic can easily be extended to ban all sorts of things. Neither of which are practical or desirable.
To echo EmiPrime, I'm a woman who never wears makeup and never had trouble getting a job. You're making false equivalences and generally talking nonsense.

Why? You are denying women agency of choosing for themselves, that they can't make their own decisions.
Lol. You realize how post-fact this sounds? "I don't care what they say. I know what these women are really thinking. Also, I'm a super feminist!" I was at a theme park in Malaysia last week and lots of women seemed pretty happy wearing these. Out with boyfriends and families. Laughing. Playing in the water with their kids. I know they'd all tell you they do it to honor God and that it was their own choice. They again, maybe they just all lack any self-respect.
It's not a real choice if it's something that's been drilled in their head since birth. Religion is one hell of a drug, after all.

ElFly

What I'm bringing up is entirely relevant.

Niqab is not a noun. Anything that can cover your face is a veil. I brought up women who are not Muslim wearing a veil, and there is no religion forcing them to wear the veil. Therefore, your initial claim that niqab is entirely religious in nature is ludicrous and unfounded.

do people in other cultures wear a niqab-equivalent clothing ALWAYS in public?

veils, headscarfs or other coverings outside of religions are not rare or uncommon; the weird and disgusting part is forcing it as mandatory for any kind of public interaction. ok, sure, some adult women may decide to do it by themselves. but there's strong evidence some minors are being forced into it and that _is_ ludicrous

um bringing this up about malaysia is ... problematic; muslim women have more to worry about than just covering their heads, what with female circumcision

but of course people will say some women do it out of their own volition blah blah

Audioboxer

do people in other cultures wear a niqab-equivalent clothing ALWAYS in public?

veils, headscarfs or other coverings outside of religions are not rare or uncommon; the weird and disgusting part is forcing it as mandatory for any kind of public interaction. ok, sure, some adult women may decide to do it by themselves. but there's strong evidence some minors are being forced into it and that _is_ ludicrous

um bringing this up about malaysia is ... problematic; muslim women have more to worry about than just covering their heads, what with female circumcision

but of course people will say some women do it out of their own volition blah blah

Damn, you're not half right there about Malaysia if these figures are even mostly accurate

Female genital mutilation Type I is prevalent in Malaysia, where 93%[222][223] of females from Muslim families in an unpublished study have been mutilated.[224][225][226] It is widely considered as a female sunnah tradition (sunat perempuan), typically in the old days done by midwife (mak bidan) and now by medical physician. It is either a minor prick or cutting off a small piece of the highest part of clitoral hood and foreskin (Type I).[227] Malaysian women claim religious obligation (82%) as the primary reason for female circumcision, with hygiene (41%) and cultural practice (32%) as other major motivators for FGM prevalence.[224][227] Malaysia is a multicultural society, FGM is prevalent in Muslim community, and not observed in its minority Buddhist and Hindu communities.[227][228] Malaysia has no laws in reference to FGM.[229] The Malaysian government sponsored 86th conference of Malaysia's Fatwa Committee National Council of Islamic Religious Affairs held in April 2009 decided that female circumcision is part of Islamic teachings and it should be observed by Muslims, with the majority of the jurists in the Committee concluding that female circumcision is obligatory (wajib). However, the fatwa noted harmful circumcision methods are to be avoided.[230] In 2012, Malaysian government health ministry proposed guidelines to reclassify and allow female circumcision as a medical practice.[231]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prevalence_of_female_genital_mutilation_by_country#Malaysia

In a recent study, 93 percent of Malaysian Muslim women admitted to being circumcised. We took a look at what's driving this painful boom.

I meet 19-year-old Syahiera Atika at the mall. She spends most Sundays prowling Kuala Lumpur's mega malls like other women her age, but as she eagerly points out she's also different. Syahiera is a modern incarnation of Malay culture: She happily embraces Western-style capitalism, while at the same time strictly following the local interpretation of Islam. And as she proudly informs me, that also means she's circumcised.

"I'm circumcised because it is required by Islam," she says. The Malay word she uses is wajib, meaning any religious duty commanded by Allah. Syahiera is aware of how female circumcision is perceived in the West, but rejects any notion that it's inhumane. "I don't think the way we do it here is harmful," she says. "It protects young girls from premarital sex as it is supposed to lower their sex drive. But I am not sure it always works." She giggles at this thought.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/4w7ja9/female-circumcision-is-becoming-more-popular-in-malaysia

Feelings of being proud and stating it's something that has to be done...

God created us the way we are for a reason. If God intended females to have a lower sexual drive, He would have created us without a clitoris.

Living is not about safeguarding ourselves from the challenges life presents us with. Living is about accepting, managing and controlling desires and lustful urges. And for those with a strong will who can protect themselves from such sinful acts, heaven awaits. That is God's promise to us, is it not?

Why is this simple concept too difficult for our Muslim brothers and sisters to grasp?

To Muslim parents, I urge you not to put your baby girls under the blade. Raise your girls well so they are strong enough to protect themselves from sinful acts. Have some faith in your child. Have some faith in yourself as a parent.

Remember, you have the option NOT to have your daughters circumcised.

http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/ca...hing-cut-and-dried-about-female-circumcision/

Even this article which still has sentiments which are sex-negative still tries to make a plea NOT to go ahead with FGM...

FGM not being like for like comparable to full-face veils, but from that interview above it's not hard to draw correlations to how women who have it hammered into them from birth that something abhorrent that is done to them/asked of them, ends up being something to be proud of/follow through with/accept unconditionally. We have as EU nations outlawed/legislated against FGM, so can anyone in here stomach making the same argument that FGM should be allowed because to do otherwise would stop people doing what they want for religious reasons/prevents a "free society"? As I said, I know full-face veils and FGM are not 1:1, but parts of any core argument being religious traditions/beliefs are off the table for legislating against would have me questioning where do you draw your lines?

Or to reframe that questioning, what would be others feelings and thoughts around followers of Islam from Malaysia coming to somewhere in the EU and saying, well, FGM is both encouraged, legal and accepted in Malaysia? Throw in some of the arguments along the lines of my husband won't allow our daughter to leave the house unless she gets snipped. It's even illegal in the UK for you to take a UK born citizen abroad to undergo FGM and then come back to the UK. The point of this exercise not necessarily to trip anyone up in webs/ask rhetorical questions, but to show how societies will and do make different legislative choices than others, especially around cultural or religious behaviours/actions if they can be seen as negative/detrimental/abusive/oppressive.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Feelings of being proud and stating it's something that has to be done...
[...]
FGM not being like for like comparable to full-face veils, but from that interview above it's not hard to draw correlations to how women who have it hammered into them from birth that something abhorrent that is done to them/asked of them, ends up being something to be proud of/follow through with/accept unconditionally.
Indeed.

I honestly find it pathetic (and borderline infuriating) that you have people defending things like this by using feminist language such as "a woman's agency" and "she can make her own decisions and doesn't need you to rescue her" etc. Yes, not all women are damsels in distress needing rescue, but both men and women ARE also susceptible to brainwashing and indoctrination, especially when immersed into this culture since birth, and it has nothing to do with them being women or "lacking agency", but everything to do with how powerful and insidious religion can be.

Women in Malaysia, Egypt, Sudan, etc. defending genital mutilation have internalized the inherent misogyny of the practice because of religious brainwashing. I see little to no difference with those who defend the use of the burqa/niqab.

but to show how societies will and do make different legislative choices than others, especially around cultural or religious behaviours/actions if they can be seen as negative/detrimental/abusive/oppressive.
Aye.

Audioboxer

Indeed.

I honestly find it pathetic (and borderline infuriating) that you have people defending things like this by using feminist language such as "a woman's agency" and "she can make her own decisions and doesn't need you to rescue her" etc. Yes, not all women are damsels in distress needing rescue, but both men and women ARE also susceptible to brainwashing and indoctrination, especially when immersed into this culture since birth, and it has nothing to do with them being women or "lacking agency", but everything to do with how powerful and insidious religion can be.

Women in Malaysia, Egypt, Sudan, etc. defending genital mutilation have internalized the inherent misogyny of the practice because of religious brainwashing. I see little to no difference with those who defend the use of the burqa/niqab.

Aye.

Good point. It's very important not to simply view these women as damsels in distress, that's careless and unfair, but genuinely understand why you can have such high %'s of women either full on back or hand-wave something like FGM happening to them. I felt it was important not to say both practices are the same (veils/FGM), because they aren't, but that the reasoning why women can defend and be proud of something that is genuinely detrimental to them, can be thought for the same lines of thinking. Whether it's FGM or full-face veils there is an underlying sense of being instructed/told/demanded to do it/follow because it's either in the text, or men say it's necessary. Even if you can link actions/beliefs back to passages in a holy text, it is still routinely men forcing/influencing or pressuring women to do things. Patriarchal societies mixing with patriarchal texts... it's often a horrendous and potent mix for a woman to be caught up in. There's many arguing back saying "well wouldn't you just be saying a woman, therefore, couldn't do x", but as it's been said many times we often legislate in societies around things you cannot do rather than things you can. More so if it is around things that are inherently damaging/upsetting/detrimental/proven with evidence to be at a negative cost.

I posted that last article above because it came from a woman who identifies as being Muslim, Fa Abdul, but has very critical things to say of FGM. Even although as I added the short article still has some sex-negative remarks. This is true all over the world, but, legally, we do sometimes have to legislate to try and prevent something growing in popularity. Voices of reason within faiths are tremendously important and should be propped up, but sadly they can often fall on deaf ears or never even reach the ears of those secluded from differing opinions. This is why it's a bit frustrating when some come into debates and say no-one can discuss any of this unless they are Islamic/Catholic/Christian/etc. It's not quite that simple in a society when it comes to debating how we all move forward/legislate. I mean, would anyone like to see figures as high as "93% of Islamic women face FGM" in your own country? One would hope most would see sense in FGM being made illegal to try and prevent stats ever getting that high. Unless of course, you support FGM, which I would urge you do far more impartial research on the subject.

Sadly, even with laws in place we are actually letting ourselves down

Female genital mutilation (FGM) is estimated to affect up to 680,000 women and girls in Europe but yet just a handful of people have been prosecuted, Euronews can reveal.

The failure of authorities to respond has ”likely resulted in the preventable mutilation of thousands of girls", according to a UK parliament report.

Here, to mark International Day of Zero Tolerance to Female Genital Mutilation, we take a look at why FGM is carried out, its impact in Europe and the reasons behind why there's been so few prosecutions.

WHY SO FEW PROSECUTIONS?
A report by the UK parliament's home affairs committee says the reason for so few prosecutions is down to the police not investigating FGM.

It added: ”The police and others told us two factors contributed to the small number of investigations — a reliance on victims or witnesses to report to the police, which they are unlikely to do, and the failure of health, education and social care professionals to refer cases to the police where they suspect FGM to have taken place."

The report draws a comparison with France, which it says has secured 40 prosecutions.

It reads: ”A key feature of the French system is the use of regular medical check-ups on children up to the age of six, which includes examination of the genitals. The system is not mandatory, though receipt of social security is dependent on participation. Furthermore, girls identified as being at risk of FGM are required to have medical examinations every year, and whenever they return from abroad."

http://www.euronews.com/2015/02/05/...tal-mutilation-are-going-unpunished-in-europe

Some of us failing to uphold our laws and legislation is one thing, it's still important to see zero tolerance in societies for FGM both socially and legislatively in the first place. The argument within this topic leading to lots of debate is could that be the case for full-face veils in many societies as they appear to be becoming more common? Do we want to see 20/30/40% of Islamic women going around in full-face coverings because we just sat back and said let the men say and do as they please, and the women continue to segregate themselves from society? I doubt many want to be going around in societies with the frequent spotting of women looking like this. It would be a regression for most of our societies and quite bluntly a failing of feminism to prevail. The question to face the test of time, though, is can we try to marginalise the above pictures becoming more prominent merely through attempting to educate? The jury will be out on that, but as seen in EU some countries are deciding they aren't going to simply rely on education but also make a pro-active move to legislate against. Decisions which cannot be taken lightly, but this is why the European Court of Human Rights has been involved.

ZdkDzk

Of course we don't just give nationality and be done with it. There are problems with integration, but painting the picture like Belgium (or France) are shitholes of cultural and racial tension, without any attempt to integrate communities is completely besides the point.

There are many organisations, lots of them government funded, tasked with integration. People get access to language classes, and get versed in social conventions. There are lots of social workers active in areas with a dominant migrant population. There are a lot of inititatives to reach out to kids on the streets. There are antidiscrimination laws. We have an organisation called Unia, that is tasked with combatting discrimination of any kind... Hell, for over 10 years migrants without the Belgian nationality have the right to vote.

And while there are problems in certain neighbourhoods and with certain communities, you mustn't forget that the majority of our migrant and muslim community is perfectly integrated. We have muslim mayors in some villages. (In my home town with a big Turkish community we have Turks on the city council) We have a muslim leader of the green party (a woman, no less). We have a female Kurdish state secretary in our government (she is from the rightwing nationalist party even, and has shitty views, but she is a second generation migrant). On tv muslims and migrants are ever better represented. Two of our most famous directors are muslim guys in their twenties. Etc

That's great. I'm not trying to paint Belgium or France in a bad light, I'm honestly asking because I don't know enough about the situation. Like I said, I looked into France (not any other country) and only found people saying there wasn't enough. I figured some of Euro GAF could give me a better picture/starting point than I could as a near total outsider.

My comments about Belgium were about the rhetoric of the post I was responding to, not the country itself. I doubt the poster holds this position, but I've heard variations of it used as an excuse to justify supressing minority vote/influence in my own country too many times to just let it slide.

It probably seems like I'm super off topic, but I honestly think the best way to go about reconciling elements of Islamic faith and western culture/laws is to have the former assimilate aspects of the latter. Religion doesn't change because the laws demand it (not without force) and when it does, it's slow. There are exceptions to that of course (if they're already assimilated to a certain degree or have no ground to stand on/communities to fall back to.) But for the most part it changes because the culture and personal beliefs/identity of the people who practice it begins clash with scripture. The first step to that is integration. That doesn't happen when the religious minority feels like they're outsiders or persecuted (i.e. banning expressions or acts of religious faith).

That's not to say that all religioys practices should be allowed, but the reasoning behind this type of ban isn't what I'd call great.

Most decisions around religion or dogmatic belief are framed with "there will be casualties! think of the oppressors!". Same sex marriage had people say they could never go to a church that would legally marry two gay people, it was an affront to God, our countries are turning into perverted cesspools, "I'm a victim because these gays are getting married!" etc, etc. This is causing a stir now too http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40546644 Yet again more bigotry around sexuality/normal human behaviour and complexities of life. It was a fair question earlier in the thread that stated if you think women truly won't be able to leave their homes then that is really something else. If anything that shows you why action is/may be needed to be taken now when the numbers of full-face veils are lower in societies. What's the outcome of years down the line if there is a lot more? Ah well, we cannot do anything now there is simply far too many women wearing them!... Of course if you actually want to see more in your country and think it's a good thing women wear them, then demanding inaction is exactly one way you will get your way.

I'm not saying something shouldn't be done, I'm saying a ban won't help. People can't claim they're for the liberation of the oppressed and then turn around and say "it's on the families" when their oppression worsens as a direct response to their actions. Not when you can see it comming.

You're right, action needs to be taken as soon as possible, but that doesn't mean all actions are valid solutions. Maybe I'm wrong, and there are no better solutions (or at least none that can work on a small enough timescale) and a bans are necessary to stop the spread of the naqib+ as tools of oppression. Maybe most families will adapt and the number of families who do keep the women inside will be negligible. But so far I haven't heard anything to convince me of either of those two, so my stance is the same.

jWILL253

Banned
"social cohesion" = "assimilate and don't be too Muslim"

Fuck the European Court, and fuck all the Western powers for being a bunch of tiny babies. You can say it's about women's safety all you want, but we all know what the real reason is.

I don't even like the full veil, but the women themselves should be allowed to make the choice as to whether or not to wear one (because, believe it or not, not every Muslim household runs a strict patriarchy and allow women to be autonomous). The legal system forcing this decision on them just reeks of racism & discrimination, just to appease the sensibilities of White people who think they know what Muslim culture is.

EmiPrime

Indeed.

YES.

Honestly I can think of few things more insidious than the appropriation and twisting of feminist terms and thought to justify the dehumanisation and oppression of women and girls. It is a crass perversion to use the ideas intended to deconstruct and dismantle patriarchy and instead use it in service of it.

Audioboxer

"social cohesion" = "assimilate and don't be too Muslim"

Fuck the European Court, and fuck all the Western powers for being a bunch of tiny babies. You can say it's about women's safety all you want, but we all know what the real reason is.

I don't even like the full veil, but the women themselves should be allowed to make the choice as to whether or not to wear one (because, believe it or not, not every Muslim household runs a strict patriarchy and allow women to be autonomous). The legal system forcing this decision on them just reeks of racism & discrimination, just to appease the sensibilities of White people who think they know what Muslim culture is.

As we've been discussing above, what are your thoughts on FGM? Is that just the legal systems appeasing the sensibilities of white people for making it illegal? I mean, what about the Muslim culture in Malaysia where it's estimated 93% of the women undergo FGM? Should FGM be put back in the hands of the people to make the choice? Are these women just mistakenly being influenced by white sensibilities back in the 70s? Sure, those are women hitting back against mandatory requests to wear the hijab. The hijab not even being what this ruling is around, but this. Probably the most dehumanising and restrictive pieces of clothing/garb anyone could have to wear.

Trying to frame this debate as "appeasing the sensibilities of white people" is one exponentially flawed way to look at this. If anything it's stemmed in feminism, not race. You do not need to be a certain colour to discuss the treatment of women and ANY ideologies which make grand claims/suggestions to the ways that women should behave/treat their bodies/be treated by others. Would you be posting what you did above if this was to do with "Christian culture" or "Catholic culture"? When it's not about feminism, it's routinely a clash of biology/psychology vs religious doctrine/culture as well, still, not race. Biology showing we are sexually engaging/reproducing species, so being sex-negative is destructive/unproductive, and psychology showing all the arguments posted for pages in here about the importance of socialisation/eye contact/facial cues and so on. None of that has anything to do with race.

As I posted many pages ago, even Angela Merkel who is routinely held up high for supporting multiculturalism, immigration and refugees had this to say

ESSEN, Germany — To loud applause, Chancellor Angela Merkel told her party members on Tuesday that Germany should ban full-face veils ”wherever legally possible" and that it would not tolerate any application of Shariah law over German justice.

The loudest cheers came for her line on Shariah, followed by her statements on face coverings. ”Here we say, ‘Show your face,'" Ms. Merkel told the party. ”So full veiling is not appropriate here. It should be prohibited wherever legally possible."

She did not say what circumstances that included. But the language seemed more expansive than she had previously used.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/06/...ls-for-ban-on-full-face-veils-in-germany.html

I just don't think race is the right way to be looking at this and arguing cases for thoughts/opinions. This is not some highly egregious buffoonish move like big Donald's travel ban. It's based on concepts of feminism, social cohesion, public interaction and a multicultural functioning society. Not race superiority/discrimination.

Shiggy

You can say it's about women's safety all you want, but we all know what the real reason is.

Apparently a lot don't, otherwise the focus of the discussion wouldn't still be on how this is supposed to improve women's lives. So I quote the official reasoning again:

In the present case, the Belgian State had intended in adopting the contested provisions to respond to a practice that the State deemed incompatible, in Belgian society, with the ground rules of social communication and, more broadly, with the creation of the human relationships that were essential to life in society. The State was seeking to protect a principle of interaction between individuals that was, in its view, essential to the functioning of a democratic society. From this perspective, and similarly to the situation which had previously arisen in France (S.A.S. v. France), it seemed that the question whether or not it should be permitted to wear the full-face veil in public places constituted a choice of society. Furthermore, while it was true that the scope of the ban was broad, because all places accessible to the public were concerned, the contested provisions did not affect the freedom to wear in public any garment or item of clothing – with or without a religious connotation – which did not have the effect of concealing the face. Lastly, there was no consensus within the member States of the Council of Europe as to whether or not there should be a blanket ban on the wearing of the full-face veil in public places, which justified, in the Court's opinion, leaving the respondent State significant room for manoeuvre (”a very large margin of appreciation").

In consequence, the Court considered that the ban imposed by the joint by-law of the municipalities in the Vesdre police area could be regarded as proportionate to the aim pursued, namely the preservation of the conditions of ”living together" as an element of the ”protection of the rights and freedoms of others. It therefore held that the contested restriction could be regarded as ”necessary" ”in a democratic society" and concluded that there had been no violation of Articles 8 and 9 of the Convention.

http://hudoc.echr.coe.int/eng-press?i=003-5788319-7361101

1) You can absolutely make laws based on social conventions. The law that forbids stealing is a social convention. There are cultures where the concept of ownership is different from ours, and where the concept of stealing doesn't really exist (If I'm not mistaken, some Rom-cultures).

Stealing causes needless suffering and hardship on others, that is why it's banned. It doesn't need social conventions to back it up. And I'm not sure about Roma cultures, but in every other culture stealing is considered wrong. You can see it in infants, try to take away their toys or force them to share with somebody. They won't do it, it's a learnt behaviour. The idea of personal possession is innate and acultural, and for good reasons.

And you are exagerating the extent of this law. It's a law that states we as a society don't want people to cover their faces and hide their identity in public, for various reasons.

And I explained why those reasons are fear peddling. There is no need to see someone's face in public. If it's necessary for identity purposes, you can go ahead and ask, but it's not necessary for every activity. You don't get to see my face at the moment, but there is no danger or lack of security. No one has explained to me why it's necessary to be identifiable at all times.

Yes, it limits a civic liberty, but all laws do. The Belgian law that handles the ownership and carrying of firearms limits my freedom to own a gun and openly carry it (note: I am absolutely against legalisation of gun carry/ownership). It might make me feel like I'm being 'oppressed' in my liberty, it might make me feel more uncomfortable. But when you are part of a society, you adhere to its rules. Why should religion get exemptions? We have a democratic system in place to have these rules from the ground up. It's not a perfect system, but it's the best we as a society could manage to organise us, while still offering as much freedom as we can to the citizens.

Yes, all laws limit civil liberties, that is why they need to be thought of carefully and need to be minimal. You can't create a law for everything under the sun. Guns are banned because their only purpose to kill living things, and everyone has a right to live, so we don't allow it. A niqab worn out of choice hurts nobody else, it has nothing to do with the rest of society.

Fucking lol.

2) This is such an exageration. You paint the picture as if women are being jailed for wearing a niqab. Like someone else allready said, if you extent this logic you can be jailed for speeding or littering too. There are many ways to collect fines, and there are many steps until jail time is even considered.

Speeding and littering, unlike wearing niqab, hurt other people and infringes on my (and other's) space. I'm okay with jailing people for that, but it's usually not necessary, they should just pay for the damage and hardships they caused. Niqab on the other hand, does not hurt you or me. Using violence against women who were not harming anyone is wrong.

3) In that logic, every logic behind a law can be extended to something terrible. I don't agree with Valls and the lot about the burkini, because I am of the opinion having a visible face is the line we draw. Is that arbitrary? Yes. Is it arbitrary I can only speed up to 120 kmh on the highway and not 130 without risking a fine. Yes. Laws are arbitrary, as you have to draw the lines in which society operates.

To me, and the Belgian government, that is: you can wear what you want, but in public you show your face. This is for many reasons, and one of the main ones for me is that the face is the most important aspect of the human body to identify someone (and I'm not only speaking about police identifying someone, but also during regular social contact). It is also a very important aspect of non-verbal communication. As a society we democratically decided we don't want women (or man) to hide themselves behind a veil or mask. And that is something a society is allowed to do in my opinion. You can find this patriarchal, but sorry, laws are. The state says I can't do drugs and can't speed. That's patriarchal and limiting my freedoms.

4) This law is neutral. It doesn't single anyone out. It even lays out the ground rules for how we behave in a neutral space: public.

5)Like I said before in point 3. A society can decide they don't want a certain thing. Belgium has decided the niqab does not have a place in public life, even if you want to wear one. The ban on drugs also affectss drug users who safely and responsibly use drugs. The gun ban does affect responsible gun owners. It's not because a law affects some group, it's not a good law.

Then what's stopping someone from drawing the line at some other arbitrary point like Valls and other Socialists did? If you don't use reason to justify your points, then people will free to go further into unreasonable laws. You can drive 120 because that is what's deemed safe enough for you to stop in case an accident is approaching, anything faster is too fast for human reaction time. That is reasonable. Making a rule about having to see someone's face is entirely arbitrary.

I prefer more liberal drug laws. I already explained why we have speeding laws.

Banning the niqab at least doesn't normalise it, which should lead to less women being subjected to wearing one. If women aren't allowed to go outside because of this ban, then their husbands are abusive, and we have laws and measures against that too. Again, one doesn't exclude the other, and the negative effects of a ban can be fought with other measures.

If a woman can't even go outside then how will she get help? How is she safer and freer than before?

This

"That's a huge slippery slope", he said, immediately following that up with a slippery slope.

Priceless lol

Yes, I called it a slippery slope and explained why it is one. Hillarious.

Are you a woman? Because as a woman that sounds like crazy mansplaining to me. Accusing EmiPrime of not being feminist enough is hilariously pathetic.

I was talking to Zen Arcade.

To echo EmiPrime, I'm a woman who never wears makeup and never had trouble getting a job. You're making false equivalences and generally talking nonsense.

This is from the women I talked to and what they told me, and other feminist literature. I'm happy you didn't have to wear makeup, and you have the choice whether you want to wearit or not, but I don't think every woman can say the same.

It's not a real choice if it's something that's been drilled in their head since birth. Religion is one hell of a drug, after all.

That's true and we can work on removing religious indoctrination at young ages. Using government to remove the rights of adultwomen to make her own choices however should not sit right with anyone. You cannot take anyone's agency away from them, that is not the basis of any free society.

Indeed.

The trope here is not so much "damsel in distress". I'm finding the more common trope here is the "civilizing culture" and "white man's burden", as you've shown in your latter sentences. The vast majority of Muslim women do not wear niqab, it is a tiny tiny minority, less than 1%. Some are forced, and we should help those people and give them their freedom back – but others, believe it or not, make it their own choice, and that is how they choose to live their life. Yes, it is religious coercion that gives them an illusion of choice, but the solution is to show them how that is. You can't tell them they're being oppressed, and throw them in jail. It's nonsensical.

You were talking about false equivalencies? FGM violates the rights of the child, it is harming other people, against their will. The child did not choose to be mutilaited and is not have the adult capacity to make that decision. The niqab, when worn by an adult woman, does not harm other people. It is their choice on how they practise their faith. It harms nobody else.

YES.

Honestly I can think of few things more insidious than the appropriation and twisting of feminist terms and thought to justify the dehumanisation and oppression of women and girls. It is a crass perversion to use the ideas intended to deconstruct and dismantle patriarchy and instead use it in service of it.

You can go explain to these women how you're freeing them from oppression from outside their jail cell.

All these 'secular' laws about banning niqabs, hijabs, burkinis etc. have only made women lose their jobs, banned them from public spaces, got them kicked out of schools and caused many hardships and suffering. They're making women feel isolated from their societies and making them turn to religious extremism.

You can go to the feminist paradise that is the French or Belgian banlieues where all these things are banned, and tell them how you're white intersectional feminist and you're here to free these women from oppression and observe how they welcome you with open arms. That woman at the beach who was forced to derobe by male policemen in front of her little son must have felt really happy to be free from oppression, she must be a huge fan of your brand of feminism that her she's brainwashed and can't make her own choices, it certainly never made her feel humiliated.

You said about wartama that "you don't have a problem" (your words) if Belgium jailed her for wearing a niqab. You justify it because you think she's brainwashed and can't make choices for herself, so you're going to make them for her. Sorry, I don't care if this sounds like mansplaining, but that's extremely condescending and patronizing. You're saying I'm dehumanizing people, yet you are telling Muslim women like wartama that she is brainwashed and can't think for herself, and then you use that to take away her agency and right to her body. Who's "dehumanizing" people again? You're happy to see so-called brainwashed and indoctrinated women rot in a jail cell. That is quite literally "oppressive".

Anyway, I apologize for the outbrust or if I came across as harsh. This is all a bit frustrating, to see an actual Muslim woman's arguments be dismissed as her being brainwashed, and then see those same people then tell me I'm the one oppressing her. It seems no one wants to listen to what Muslim women actually want, they have already decided for themselves how other people should live.

Anyway, I need to take a break from the webs and see the angry replies when I get back.

Osahi

1)Stealing causes needless suffering and hardship on others, that is why it's banned. It doesn't need social conventions to back it up. And I'm not sure about Roma cultures, but in every other culture stealing is considered wrong. You can see it in infants, try to take away their toys or force them to share with somebody. They won't do it, it's a learnt behaviour. The idea of personal possession is innate and acultural, and for good reasons.

2)And I explained why those reasons are fear peddling. There is no need to see someone's face in public. If it's necessary for identity purposes, you can go ahead and ask, but it's not necessary for every activity. You don't get to see my face at the moment, but there is no danger or lack of security. No one has explained to me why it's necessary to be identifiable at all times.

3)Yes, all laws limit civil liberties, that is why they need to be thought of carefully and need to be minimal. You can't create a law for everything under the sun. Guns are banned because their only purpose to kill living things, and everyone has a right to live, so we don't allow it. A niqab worn out of choice hurts nobody else, it has nothing to do with the rest of society.

4)Speeding and littering, unlike wearing niqab, hurt other people and infringes on my (and other's) space. I'm okay with jailing people for that, but it's usually not necessary, they should just pay for the damage and hardships they caused. Niqab on the other hand, does not hurt you or me. Using violence against women who were not harming anyone is wrong.

5)
Then what's stopping someone from drawing the line at some other arbitrary point like Valls and other Socialists did? If you don't use reason to justify your points, then people will free to go further into unreasonable laws. You can drive 120 because that is what's deemed safe enough for you to stop in case an accident is approaching, anything faster is too fast for human reaction time. That is reasonable. Making a rule about having to see someone's face is entirely arbitrary.

I prefer more liberal drug laws. I already explained why we have speeding laws.

6)If a woman can't even go outside then how will she get help? How is she safer and freer than before?

We will never agree on this, and we're doing merryrounds, but I'd still like to react.

1) My example of stealing was maybe a bit to exagerated to bring home my point. But my point still stands, lots of laws are based on social conventions or to protect them.

2) Read the argument of the court. Belgium argued that in order to maintain social cohesivness, showing ones face is a necessity. It's a social convention, sure, but it's one the lawmakers felt at the time needed to be set in law. Niqabs were still a fringe phenomenon, but on the rise. I can't see in the head of the legislators, but I'm pretty sure one of their arguments too was to not normalise niqabs, as it is a symbol of female oppression. The ban is a way to avoid more women being forced to wear one. Again, as a society, we decided that it's an important thing to show your face when interacting, and as a society we didn't want to normalise the niqab. You might not agree with that, and that's your right, but our society agrees. Just like it agrees public nudity is not warranted. Just like it decided gun ownership isn't, etc.

And there are reasons to ban it. One is, like I said over and over again, the face is a very important part of identification in social interactions, and also a means of non-verbal communication. The other is we, as a society, don't want women being stripped of their features (by which I mean, that it's impossible to see who's who when you have different Niqab-wearing women together). How is that fear pandering?

But yes, there also is a security aspect to banning covering your face in public, in cases of crime.

3) No you can't. But when an issue is popping up, a law can be made to adress that. About the guns, you entirely pass by my point: the ban on guns affects people who are responsible gun owners and feel guns are a part of their identity, or make them feel more comfortable. But we banned them for reasons. The niqab is a tool of female oppression in many cases, and by banning it we also try to adress that. This might affect women who wear one out of their own free will as a side-effect. Look, someone posted an interview with a women defending female gential mutilation. It's not because she isn't opposed to it, we should condone it.

And a Niqab out of choice DOES affect society. For one, it shields your most important feature to other people, which affects the way how they can interact with you. That's where we draw the line. We have heavy freedom of religion, and freedom of expression of religion. But there are limits.

4) You still seem to imply that women are actively put in jail because of the Niqab, while we stressed time and time again that's only the ultimate punishment. I'm quite sure women aren't even fined at first, but warned. And even then, in the offcase it should come to court, I'm pretty sure court will try to establish why the woman wears it, if there is any abuse related, etc. (I've worked on a crime series about a Belgian district attorney, and saw a lot of court cases as research. It is eyeopening to what extent they, even for a little crime, look at the bigger picture...

5)Every democracy has checks and balances. This law was proposed, then it went to a comity, that comity drafted up the law after research and discussions, then (after the commity agreed upon the draft) it went to the floor of the parlaiment, where it was discussed again and put up to a vote. So there is a complete, democratically chosen parlaiment, who checks and decides the arbitrary line. And than there are the courts, which can nullify laws if they are deemed unconstitutional. And then there is the European level, where laws like these can be checked against the treaty on Human Rights.

This 'arbitrary line' passed all of those. This is not a case of someone just drawing a line. This was democracy and it's checks and balances at work, up to the absolute highest level...

6) I find it very hard to imagine women who want to find a way out, wil not go out of their way to decide it. You paint the picture as if an woman allowed to wear a niqab, who is forced by her husband and doesn't want to, will be able to find help, while someone who isn't allowed to go outside absolutely can't.

I do realize it is very difficult for women in general to get out of abusive relationships, and that for muslim women it might be even harder. But we do offer help to these women. We have safe houses, we have social workers trying to locate these kind of problems, organisations, etcetera.

I'm also not sure there is a known case in the six years this law is in effect where a women was forced inside because she couldn't wear one. But what this law does is make very clear a niqab is not something that is condoned in this society, and this is a message that goes out to the men who want to force their wives too. It's a law that says: we don't think this is normal, and we don't want this behaviour. This might as well have the effect that less women are forced to wear one in the future.

Because you banned her from going outside. Do you know what thread you're in?

Wow, seriously? This law doesn't ban anyone to go outside. This is some serious mental stretching going on.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yes, I called it a slippery slope and explained why it is one. Hillarious.
You're making the slippery slope fallacy which is why it's hilarious.

I was talking to Zen Arcade.
Ok, but you're still mansplaining feminism when it's really not your place to do so.

The trope here is not so much "damsel in distress". I'm finding the more common trope here is the "civilizing culture" and "white man's burden", as you've shown in your latter sentences.
Huh??
This has nothing to do with race. Enough with this BS.

You can't tell them they're being oppressed, and throw them in jail. It's nonsensical.
No one has been thrown in jail that I can see. You're committing the slippery slope fallacy again.

You were talking about false equivalencies? FGM violates the rights of the child, it is harming other people, against their will. The child did not choose to be mutilaited and is not have the adult capacity to make that decision. The niqab, when worn by an adult woman, does not harm other people. It is their choice on how they practise their faith. It harms nobody else.
Yes, they are not fully equivalent, but the reasoning used by these "free women using their agency" to defend these thing is eerily similar (e.g. rooted in internalized misogyny and religious brainwashing).

As for the niqab, it does affect other people (though obviously not nearly to the extent of FGM). It normalizes it, for instance. It makes communication and interaction with people more difficult. It creates security risks.

All these 'secular' laws about banning niqabs, hijabs, burkinis etc. have only made women lose their jobs, banned them from public spaces, got them kicked out of schools and caused many hardships and suffering.
Only because they are breaking the laws. Maybe they should obey the laws like everyone else, then they won't get in trouble.

They're making women feel isolated from their societies and making them turn to religious extremism.
And here I thought they were free agents expressing their freedom...

You can go to the feminist paradise that is the French or Belgian banlieues where all these things are banned, and tell them how you're white intersectional feminist and you're here to free these women from oppression and observe how they welcome you with open arms. That woman at the beach who was forced to derobe by male policemen in front of her little son must have felt really happy to be free from oppression, she must be a huge fan of your brand of feminism that her she's brainwashed and can't make her own choices, it certainly never made her feel humiliated.
Nice appeal to emotions.

Anyway, I apologize for the outbrust or if I came across as harsh. This is all a bit frustrating, to see an actual Muslim woman's arguments be dismissed as her being brainwashed, and then see those same people then tell me I'm the one oppressing her.
No one is saying YOU are the one who is oppressing her though?
Anyway, yes, they are brainwashed, both men and women can get brainwashed by religious indoctrination, if that's condescending then so be it. But when this indoctrination perpetuates misogynistic culture, then don't be surprised that it will be met with resistance from feminists.

In any case, as I said before, plenty of Muslim women agree with the ban so your insistence that you are the one listening to Muslim women's POVs is not very accurate now is it.

Because you banned her from going outside?
No? She can still go outside, she just has to not cover her face like the rest of the population.
Also, ElFly didn't do this, the EU court did.

I have no strong opinion on this but I see some equivalency between this and the display of the Confederate flag in America. I feel that the full body hijab and Confederate flag are largely emblematic of oppresive ideologies. There are a minority who feel otherwise as they probably grew up in a setting where the insidious meaning of these symbols had no impression on their upbringings. Does their separation from the original context allow that minority to champion these symbols?

You're making the slippery slope fallacy which is why it's hilarious.

Slippery slope is not always a fallacy. I'm taking the logic to its natural conclusion.

Ok, but you're still mansplaining feminism when it's really not your place to do so.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought mansplaining was only mansplaining if you were doing it to a woman.

Huh??
This has nothing to do with race. Enough with this BS.

It must be nice to think that, to never have to worry about race. To not have to worry about laws like this affecting your mothers, sisters, cousins, aunts etc. specifically. No, your family gets to live as normal. I do envy you.

No one has been thrown in jail that I can see. You're committing the slippery slope fallacy again.

Yes, they are not fully equivalent, but the reasoning used by these "free women using their agency" to defend these thing is eerily similar (e.g. rooted in internalized misogyny and religious brainwashing).

As for the niqab, it does affect other people (though obviously not nearly to the extent of FGM). It normalizes it, for instance. It makes communication and interaction with people more difficult. It creates security risks.

Yes, but children do not have free agency. That is why FGM should be banned. I was speaking of adult women specifically when it comes to the niqab. No one would undergo FGM if they had to do it as free adults. You don't see women in other Muslim countries where they don't practise FGM voluntarily doing it.

Only because they are breaking the laws. Maybe they should obey the laws like everyone else, then they won't get in trouble.

Hmm... I hope you see how this quote sounds very familiar. The law is needless in the first place and disproportionately affects a certain group of people.

Nice appeal to emotions.

Thanks. It must be nice to so peacefully dismiss the real life consequences of the laws you're proposing. Out of sight, out of mind.

No one is saying YOU are the one who is oppressing her though?

It was said that I was using language to promote oppression and dehumanization.

Anyway, yes, they are brainwashed, both men and women can get brainwashed by religious indoctrination, if that's condescending then so be it. But when this indoctrination perpetuates misogynistic culture, then don't be surprised that it will be met with resistance from feminists.

There it is again.

I strongly disagree entirely with where you're coming from. Women need more freedom, not less. I'm strongly against using authoritarian government (which has a long history of oppression) to restrict women's right to live how they please and find what truly makes them happy. It is not in anyone else's place to save people who do not need saving or are even asking to be saved. We've had enough of that throughout the entire course of human history and it has never not once made things better. So please, stop. We can help people who actually need help: women who are forced to wear it against their will, kids being indoctrinated into religion etc. but you cannot tell an adult woman how she should live her life, that she is brainwashed and you're going to make all her choices for her. You're doing the same thing as the people who were controlling her did. You have good intentions but you're not being helpful.

They have the same level of freedom and choices as everyone else in Belgium.

Yes, where did I say otherwise? The ban is an attack on everyone's freedom. When the government is growing and encroaching on civil liberties and people's private lives, it is an attack on freedom.

@Osahi I will try to write a reply soon.

Like I said earlier, I'm not comming at this from a moral standpoint. When I ask the question "does this help solve the problem?" I come up with "no, in fact it's almost gaurenteed to make things worse, who let things get this far." I'm probably starting to sound like a broken record at this point.

I am fairly sure I agreed with you on that point.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
What do you think a ban is. It is a law. And no, a woman ceases to be a free agent if she cannot make choices for herself, which is what you guys are doing.
Huh? They aren't banned from going outside. They are banned from wearing a specific piece of clothing. What the fuck are you talking about

Slippery slope is not always a fallacy. I'm taking the logic to its natural conclusion.
The natural conclusion to banning the burqa is banning cosmetics? Hahahahahah please. Textbook slippery slope fallacy.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought mansplaining was only mansplaining if you were doing it to a woman.
Typically yes, but what you were doing (telling someone to spend more time in feminists circles when you get two women on the side telling you you're wrong) would certainly count in my book.

It must be nice to think that, to never have to worry about race. To not have to worry about laws like this affecting your mothers, sisters, cousins, aunts etc. specifically. No, your family gets to live as normal. I do envy you.
Who's condescending now? In any case, you're clearly showing you have no argument.

Yes, but children do not have free agency. That is why FGM should be banned. I was speaking of adult women specifically when it comes to the niqab. No one would undergo FGM if they had to do it as free adults. You don't see women in other Muslim countries where they don't practise FGM voluntarily doing it.
False. Adult women "choose" FGM in many countries.
https://www.theatlantic.com/interna...-of-female-circumcision-your-thoughts/391841/
(This article, funnily enough, also explores the debate around freedom of choice and agency vs the inherent misogyny of the practice... you even have defenders going on about how it's all about women choosing for themselves and blah blah blah)

Hmm... I hope you see how this quote sounds very familiar. The law is needless in the first place and disproportionately affects a certain group of people.

Thanks. It must be nice to so peacefully dismiss the real life consequences of the laws you're proposing. Out of sight, out of mind.
It doesn't affect anyone unless they choose to be affected by it. I don't care about coddling irrational religious beliefs, especially if they help perpetuate and normalize harmful ideologies.

Huh? They aren't banned from going outside. They are banned from wearing a specific piece of clothing. What the fuck are you talking about

Please don't twist my words and then proceed to cuss at me. I was talking specifically about those who were forced to wear it by their family, who will now not be allowed to go outside and get social support. You are banning them from go outside, that is the natural consequence of your law.

The natural conclusion to banning the burqa is banning cosmetics? Hahahahahah please. Textbook slippery slope fallacy.

You are twisting my words again (or not following quote chains and reading my posts in isolation). Zen Arcade said wearing a burqa would change the culture and make other feel compelled to wear one. I said that logic could be extended to many other things to show how preposterous it is. If that makes you laugh then that's the point.

Typically yes, but what you were doing (telling someone to spend more time in feminists circles when you get two women on the side telling you you're wrong) would certainly count in my book.

The post was made before you had commented and before I knew EmiPrime was a woman.

Who's condescending now? In any case, you're clearly showing you have no argument.

Reminding you that this law has zero impact on you is not condescending, it's a statement of fact. Dismissing other people's viewpoints because you think they're too stupid to deserve to live freely is what's condescending.

False. Adult women "choose" FGM in many countries.
https://www.theatlantic.com/interna...-of-female-circumcision-your-thoughts/391841/
(This article, funnily enough, also explores the debate around freedom of choice and agency vs the inherent misogyny of the practice... you even have defenders going on about how it's all about women choosing for themselves and blah blah blah)

I read the article and these girls are neither adults nor free. It was a 16 year old getting married as a part of a marriage ceremony? In this case, she is still submissive to her parents and groom.

By free, I obviously mean educated (learnt critical thinker), financially independent, enough social support etc.

It doesn't affect anyone unless they choose to be affected by it. I don't care about coddling irrational religious beliefs, especially if they help perpetuate and normalize harmful ideologies.

It is not about coddling religion. You are making religious extremism worse with your poorly thought out authoritarian laws. Every place this has been implemented has made things worse. It made people more isolated, created distrust of government institutions and Western society, and made people turn more insular towards religious communities. No kidding, that's what happens when you use state violence, people feel victimized. If you would stop the euphoric shtick for one second and come back down to earth, you can see the real consequences of what you're doing. Don't act like you have the "fighting religion" mantle when countries that have implemented this have the worst examples of religious extremism.

IISANDERII

Please don't twist my words and then proceed to cuss at me. I was talking specifically about those who were forced to wear it by their family, who will now not be allowed to go outside and get social support. You are banning them from go outside, that is the natural consequence of your law.
If I'm reading this right, this is fucked up position to hold. Don't you think that people who commit forcible confinement need to be charged with forcible confinement?

If I'm reading this right, this is fucked up position to hold. Don't you think that people who commit forcible confinement need to be charged with forcible confinement?
Yes I do. The original comment was about how victimized women who were forced to wear it need more support, and I asked how they're supposed to get support if they're not allowed to go and interact outside freely.

Sure, speak for me. I mean, I didn't know I was oppressed, wow I've so seen the light. Thank you, who we have never talked before.

Those of us who "hide our bodies" arrived to that conclusion because we think we are being tested by God to see if we will go through the restrictions for his sake. And before you start the argument that "God is a male, so yes you're being oppressed", no, God is not male, and argument into that will veer us into the territory of theology which I have do not want to start.

Yes, our religion is our safe space, because my religion tells me that I am important, God's own creation, and thus my thoughts and actions are important and that I solely am responsible for my own personhood. Whether society thinks I'm less because I am a woman, black queer and muslim (yes, didn't you know muslim queer existed? They've always existed even in the time of the prophet, too bad heternormative people steered the helm of the religion for so long they effectively erased us), my religion tells me to not heed them any mind, that I am the sole responsible of me, and that my actions are important, and that my life is accountable. When there is nowhere else that accepts me, God accepts me, and tells me that I have the right to fight for a good life.

Many other muslim women arrived at a different conclusion: they thought that the hijab does not represent them and they can be muslim without it. I say excellent, but because they arrived at a different conclusion does not mean I should change mine.

Feminism has long discarded our voices because the majority of those who steered the movement are white. White women can be as racists and eurocentric as their male counterpart. As long as they get what they want, they will through women minority under the bus. Because who cares, fuck you got mine.

FGM is not okay because it causes pain and unnecessary health complications for nothing. And no, FGM is not part of Islam. Mutilating yourself is prohibited in the religion.
The argument I would start is that any man, woman, or other should be ashamed of putting faith in an outdated book #woke

The idea that women veil themselves for their god is such a fucking joke.

And yes, I'm being toungue in cheek. But gah damn yalls, if your precious religion oppresses you how do you not see through the lines.

Top Bottom