• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurovision Song Contest 2015 |OT| Austro-Australovision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Am I the only one not listening to any of the songs beforehand? I always thought revealing them in advance was a terrible idea.

dude

dude
Golden Boy might not have any Hebrew in it, but it's one of the better song we've sent recently. I actually can't get it out of my head.

addik

So, they just revealed Australia's entry and it's pretty good.

I was so sure they were going to send another ballad to make this year a ballad-fest, but they're sending something catchy. I like it!

Kinokou

Am I the only one not listening to any of the songs beforehand? I always thought revealing them in advance was a terrible idea.

I only listen to some of them if they are linked here with an interesting comment. Going through an entire list on the other hand kind of ruins the enjoyment of the eruovision evenings, almost so much that I prefer only watching the actual finale.

Spyware

I always watch a swedish show called "Inför Eurovision Song Contest" where a bunch of people watch all the videos and talk both about how the song was chosen and what they think of it. This is where I hear them first and I like it that way since I sometimes miss songs during the contest due to stuff happening in real life. :p

Grug

Not a Guy Sebastian fan by any measure although I do respect his talent. Quite surprised by Australia's entry. Not bad at all.

Jasup

I always watch a swedish show called "Inför Eurovision Song Contest" where a bunch of people watch all the videos and talk both about how the song was chosen and what they think of it. This is where I hear them first and I like it that way since I sometimes miss songs during the contest due to stuff happening in real life. :p

Heh, Inför Eurovision Song Contest is the one show that determines if I'll be listening all the entries before the Eurovision or not. Basically, if I remember to watch the first episode of the year, I'll watch them all and if not, I probably won't be listening to the entries at all.

As of yet I have not heard any of this years entries (besides the Finnish one because I watched the national competition).

Melon Husk

Oz actually trying to win?! Game-changer.

I recognise bits and pieces of other songs in Tonight Again but I can't name them...

video for Elnur Huseynov's "Hour of the Wolf"

fits with the year's funereal tone but like most Azerbaijani stuff I kinda like it... I think a lot of the success will come down to the staging, honestly

but that's always been one of Azerbaijan's strengths, and he did take 8th in 2008 with this getup
F4JZqaQ.jpg

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Australia coming in strong. Gonna give the Swedes a run for their money.

Yeah! great thread, mate!

Btw: The Damon Bennet-Certified Eurovision Drinking-Game is something you need to do:

The rules:

- Meet up with some friends. Everyone will have 4 Countries associated with him.

---> 1 Country that the bookmakers think has a high chance of winning
---> 1 Country you like/think can win
---> 1 Country someone in your eurovision party assigns to you
---> The Country your eurovision party takes place in. If your country does not participate, chose one, which everyone in your party likes.

- For the show casually drink a ton of beer, to survive absurdity of the show

- You are probably already drunk from the high amounts of beer, but: Everytime one of your 3 countries scores 8 Points or higher -> Drink one shot. Make sure to bring enough schnaps!

- When the country you live in (or the one you chose for your party) scores 8 points or higher, EVERYONE will need to drink a shot.

- Once you are drunk enough, it will be even more fun to sing the chorus of the song over and over again, each time one of your countries scores 8 points or more.

There is no winner! Everyone is a winner, because everyone will be incredibly drunk and it will make eurovision a ton more enjoyable.

Warning: Make sure to not touch your phones, the temptation to actually vote a billion times for one of the contestants is incredibly high once drunk.

DrSlek

So, they just revealed Australia's entry and it's pretty good.

I was so sure they were going to send another ballad to make this year a ballad-fest, but they're sending something catchy. I like it!

When I heard they were sending Guy over hottest 100 winners like Chet Faker and Vance joy I had severe doubts.....but I'm actually impressed by this entry.

Australia entry sounds pretty good. I think I still give the edge to Estonia though. I prefer the Icelandic version of...Iceland's song a lot more than the English, shame.

Azerbaijan entry strong as usual (I'm a sucker for ballads).

Spain feels like it never really starts.

Not big on Italy they went too middle ground between the classical opera and pop so it ends up being neither and just a jumble. (though I liked the video).

Armenia's entry...feels like 5-6 different songs poorly edited together.

France's song seems pretty good but I doubt they will get much for presentation.

Austria...just no.

Sorry Georgia, Malta has the better warrior.

My early favs: Poland, Estonia, Romania, Macedonia, and Greece. not in order

ymoc

Apparently antisemitism is spreading across Europe in full force.
The wave is sweeping across Hungary and has infected even the most innocent of all places, the Eurovision.

Antisemitism detected
Brought to you by:
The New Antisemite
Covering Jew hatred in Europe, one random incident at a time

Here's the song
Edit: among a hundred other messages in the video, this is one of them: “2014 – Gaza – two-thirds of the victims were civilians, including more than 500 children.”

Apparently, Isreali ambassador Mor asked the Hungarian broadcasting authority to remove the sentence about the Gaza war, explaining that it is seen as an “inconvenient” political message against Israel.

End this hatred Europe. Let Israel protect it's citizens for god's sake!!!! The children did not die for nothing. They died for freedom and peace.

Apparently antisemitism is spreading across Europe in full force.
The wave is sweeping across Hungary and has infected even the most innocent of all places, the Eurovision.

Antisemitism detected
Brought to you by:

Here's the song
Edit: among a hundred other messages in the video, this is one of them: “2014 – Gaza – two-thirds of the victims were civilians, including more than 500 children.”

Apparently, Isreali ambassador Mor asked the Hungarian broadcasting authority to remove the sentence about the Gaza war, explaining that it is seen as an “inconvenient” political message against Israel.

End this hatred Europe. Let Israel protect it's citizens for god's sake!!!! The children did not die for nothing. They died for freedom and peace.

Shameful :(

I have one doubt, if Australia wins the Eurovision will they organize the next edition?

Read the OP. :p
Ermahgerd why is Australia taking part in EUROvision!?!?!?!?!?!?
Australia is taking part as a guest entry specifically for the 60th anniversary of the Eurovision Song Contest. The country has the biggest viewer base outside of Europe, and since this year's contest's motto is "building bridges", the European Broadcast Union (EBU) thought it was a fun idea to have them participate. In case Australia wins, they will be allowed to send another entry in 2016, and will negotiate with a European country for the hosting. Otherwise, every other rule applies to the country.

Kinjo

Neo Member
The ESC is one of my highlights of the year and I have a feeling that it's gonna be one of the best ESCs ever

We have Lordude (credits go out to SquiddyCracker), the Armenian mini-musical (the Tamar chick is so cute omg), Estonia's Summer Wine cover (which is my fav this year btw), Israel's Golden Boy who's gonna show us Tel Aviv before he leaves, Georgia's WAYAH, the Australian Bruno Mars, Finland (no further explanation needed), Belarus's mixture of early-2000's Justin Timberlake and Robin Thicke, the headphones-wearing chick from Slovenia accompanied by Eddie Edwards from TNA, Måns F'N Zelmerlöw and even the UK has a great entry because the dude is SCATTING

And I also love Germany because the girl is cute and the song is cool and Russia because of patriotism

Sadly, the other half of the contestants is very lame and almost all of the good acts are in the first semi-final :(

There's no barrier to it in theory; of course the EBU can do whatever it wants in terms of eligibility. There would be a problem in terms of broadcasting just because the contest airs live in the very early morning in Australia and as far as I know many Aussies don't watch it live. That can be tough to maneuver around as a show that depends on phone voting.

There's some Europeans who mind Israel, the Caucasus countries and, in the past, Morocco taking part, and those are members of the EBU. Heck, some even don't like Eastern European countries taking part.

But I believe that generally, the more the merrier is the prevalent thought.

Antinash

Discovering that there is actually a EurovisionGAF has made my day. It's gonna make watching this year even better. On a related note, I actually like our act (Molly Sterling - Ireland) this year. Hopefully we don't shit the bed like we did last year. It's time we started to justify that whole "most times winning" title that we're reminded of every year. Starting to think the rest of Europe doesn't believe us.....

There's no barrier to it in theory; of course the EBU can do whatever it wants in terms of eligibility. There would be a problem in terms of broadcasting just because the contest airs live in the very early morning in Australia and as far as I know many Aussies don't watch it live. That can be tough to maneuver around as a show that depends on phone voting.

To be honest, most Aussie fans of Eurovision wouldn't mind not be able to vote so long as there was a contestant in there they could watch on delay.

More and more Aussies are getting up to watch it live (Im not a fan but my brother is). I just catch the delayed cast later that night.

Discovering that there is actually a EurovisionGAF has made my day. It's gonna make watching this year even better. On a related note, I actually like our act (Molly Sterling - Ireland) this year. Hopefully we don't shit the bed like we did last year. It's time we started to justify that whole "most times winning" title that we're reminded of every year. Starting to think the rest of Europe doesn't believe us.....

wait really

you guys hold that title

and you sent jedward how many times

For anybody interested, tonight at 9:00 the BBC will show the Eurovision 60th Anniversary concert which took place on Tuesday night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom