• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everyone is lawyering up

Exile20

President Trump's personal lawyer, Michael Cohen, has hired his own attorney as the special counsel investigation into Russian election interference progresses, NBC News reported Friday.

Cohen has hired Washington, D.C., attorney Stephen M. Ryan, according to NBC's Katy Tur.

A source told Tur that Cohen will testify before the House Intelligence Committee on Sept. 5, adding that the testimony was delayed due to "scheduling and logistics.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/338139-trumps-personal-lawyer-hires-attorney-report

But Trump isn't the only one lawyering up. Washington, DC law firms say they're getting a lot more inquiries from government employees, who are generally calling for one of three reasons: They're worried about being caught up in an investigation, worried about being fired, or considering becoming whistleblowers.

https://qz.com/990943/as-investigat...p-administration-federal-employees-lawyer-up/

List:
Donald Trump
Jared Kushner
Mike Pence

ElfArmy177

Oops

rs-trump-hands-up-dont-shoot.png

_Ryo_

I really hope the ones considering becoming whisleblowers do so. It would be amazing seeing everyone turn on Orange Cheeto.

LordRaptor

This is the best episode of House of Cards.

I dunno, this seasons been pretty unbelievable.
Talking about grabbing pussy and still getting elected, then fucking russian hooker watersports blackmail videos?

I'm pretty much just hate watching now, shits so unrealistic.

Sounds to me like Cohen admitting he's way in over his head on this. He wants someone more familiar with the type of law that will be involved in these cases. Meanwhile he'll continue to inadequately serve as Trump's lawyer, apparently, to which I say good.
edit: Maybe his excuse is he needs to devote all of his time to defending Trump rather than himself. I guess.

"It is such an honor, blessing and privilege to serve as lawyer for the great Michael Cohen, who feels it is the greatest reward for a life well lived to serve as lawyer to the amazingly talented, blessed and all around champion of all he surveys, President Donald Trump the Great."

Zips

The whistleblower part is interesting. Very interesting.

A little bit more and we might see a full on abandoning ship.

jelly

I wonder if Mueller has even started making phone calls or it's just chinese whispers and gossip turning the heat up. That's what will break the administration, everyone for themselves and can I get immunity!

People, it's just a routine.

Vice President Pence explained his decision on Friday to hire an outside lawyer to help him with the special counsel and congressional investigations of Russian election meddling as "very routine."

"It's very routine," he told reporters in Miami. "Very routine."

Pence's office confirmed on Thursday that he had retained Richmond-based attorney Richard Cullen, the chairman of the law firm McGuireWoods, to assist him in navigating the potentially difficult legal ground of federal investigations into possible collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia.

In fact, Pence's decision to hire outside counsel has precedent. President Richard Nixon's first vice president, Spiro Agnew, retained a personal attorney when he came under investigation for corruption. He resigned from office in 1973.

It's just a coincidence, folks.

I know a lawyer (or anybody) who represents themselves is a fool but it'll never not amuse me to see a lawyer hiring another. It just makes me think of like a mechanic paying a mechanic to fix their car.

Balphon

An investigation of this scope is basically going to require everyone at the White House to get representation of some kind. It doesn't really matter how far away they are/were from any actual potential wrongdoing.

It'll really hit lower-level staffers hard, as they are unlikely to get much support from the President's inner circle. Competent representation for this kind of thing isn't going to be cheap.

Top Bottom