• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2013 Fighting game championship of the World July 12th - 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of games for which some people won't know who the players are, I hope the Smash scene does a good job introducing me to their scene during pools or semis. I don't know anyone from the Smash scene, but I'm excited to see it.

Same.

Can't decide if I want to subscribe this year. I don't use stream chat very often, and my internet is butt. Had Fios last year and it was great, but now I'm on a garbage DSL connection that was struggling with CM over the weekend.

Laptop HDMI out to TV in HD is god like.

Dahbomb

Green Ace' team is so bad that he lost against PRRog's team only because the team has low damage output once one of the character dies. He had 3 time outs on Green Ace. Any other 6 or above team would've clutched out the win because it would've been a more functional team when one character dies.

This team would get exposed so hard by ChrisG. Trish can't zone or get in on Morrigan with those assists, Wesker definitely the hell can't so it will be down to solo Dante to do work which as it turns out is how Green Ace got many of his wins with.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Some interesting storylines going into EVO this year. Both big Capcom games have a virtually, but not completely, undefeated top pick to take EVO. But if you had to put a finger on the person who would knock Chris G and/or Infiltration into losers or out, who would it be? Who is best fit to take out these titans?

For Chris G I think the obvious choice is Flocker. He's done the best against Chris G with the least experience playing him and has tailored his game to threaten Chris G specifically. He has a diverse range of teams at his disposal, is highly likely to place high and I can only imagine he is grinding that MorriDoom tech right now.

I don't know enough about AE to comment about Infiltration so I'll just say vulva.

Some interesting storylines going into EVO this year. Both big Capcom games have a virtually, but not completely, undefeated top pick to take EVO. But if you had to put a finger on the person who would knock Chris G and/or Infiltration into losers or out, who would it be? Who is best fit to take out these titans?

For Chris G I think the obvious choice is Flocker. He's done the best against Chris G with the least experience playing him and has tailored his game to threaten Chris G specifically. He has a diverse range of teams at his disposal, is highly likely to place high and I can only imagine he is grinding that MorriDoom tech right now.

I don't know enough about AE to comment about Infiltration so I'll just say vulva.

Justin Wong can take on Chris G. I don't see Chris G winning it tho.

Lulubop

A player like Alioune would have a good shot at Infiltration. Kazunoko too.

As for Chris, I agree with Flocker. I'd put Flux and maybe Moons up there too.

BadAss2961

ibseIRBzj3lsOk.gif
I've been watching this for like 5 minutes now.

Dahbomb

Flux has been giving ChrisG a hell of a time lately. But that is IF Flux progresses far enough in the bracket to face him.

Its a shame that so many of the good Zero players live in Socal with limited experience against MorriDoom. Someone like Richard, KillerKai and Marn can definitely put the hurt on ChrisG. All of them play Zero/X/Strider and the X is replaced by two characters who can deal with Morrigan (Dante and Vergil).

God I want Zero to win so bad. Too bad all the Zero players except Flocker are massive chokers.

What a disgrace, The Smash section has no honorable mention of Gimpyfish62 (#1 Bowser) and Wizzrobe (15-yr old Hungrybox killing machine).

I know he didn't win a seed to EVO from Zenith because he didn't rank high enough in Melee but look at his Project M rank at Zenith:

Project M

Winners Finals:
Hungrybox (Jigglypuff, Wario) vs. Wizzrobe (Sonic) – 0-3

Grand Finals:
Wizzrobe (Sonic) vs. Hungrybox (Mario) – 3-1

Maybe he blacked out from GreenAce's awesome play and missed everything.

I mean, the Weasel Shots come out at a better angle for Wesker and Trish than Cold Shots. It causes more hitstun and less hitstun decay than Cold Shots. It's harder to hit than Cold Shots. Not only does it start up and recover faster than Cold Shots, it's on screen for 44 frames less than Cold Shots, meaning you get to call more assists. Both characters get better confirms because it's only 4 hits and keeps the opponent grounded. Hell, Wesker gets better combos off of it than EMD, and that only hits once.

Calling it a poor man's Cold Shots is incredibly disingenuous.

The parallels between Chris g and infiltration are frightening.

Both are clearly the best
Both play a number of different characters at a high level
The number of top players that can actually beat them can be counted on your hand
Both have shown weakness against relatively unknown players

GamerJM

Banned
Mahval 3

Would love to see: Yipes or maybe Green Ace
Predict: Chris G

SF4

Would love to see: Diago
Predict: Infiltration

Persona

Would love to see: BananaKen
Predict: One of the Japanese guys

KOF13

Don't follow enough

Tekken Tag 2

Don't follow enough

MK9

Don't follow enough

Injustice

Would love to see: Anyone other than Chris G
Predict: Chris G

Smash

Would love to see: Shroomed (is he going? He's not in the OP, I know he doesn't have that big of a chance of winning but he's definitely my favorite Melee player)
Predict: Armada

Revven

Sorta related to EVO, Cosmo is streaming and educating people about Melee at a pretty basic level so if you need help in understanding some of the mechanics or characters tune in for a bit: http://www.twitch.tv/cosmowright

He will be at EVO, too, so if you're a fan of his speedrunning and stuff and you're going to EVO you should try to meet him! He will be competing in Melee with Zelda.

Edit: @GamerJM: Yes Shroomed is going to be there.

Dahbomb

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";69057861]I mean, the Weasel Shots come out at a better angle for Wesker and Trish than Cold Shots. It causes more hitstun and less hitstun decay than Cold Shots. It's harder to hit than Cold Shots. Not only does it start up and recover faster than Cold Shots, it's on screen for 44 frames less than Cold Shots, meaning you get to call more assists. Both characters get better confirms because it's only 4 hits and keeps the opponent grounded. Hell, Wesker gets better combos off of it than EMD, and that only hits once.

Calling it a poor man's Cold Shots is incredibly disingenuous.[/QUOTE]
Alright alright the poor man comment was kinda taking it far but the main utility of Cold Shots is still the heavy lock down which it does better than Weasel Shot. That's why it lasts longer on screen, someone caught in it is bound to get opened up. Weasel Shot is a good rushdown/mix up assist for Trish (although Cold Shots get that job done too and people do play Trish with Cold Shots) but you are way better off with a Beam assist or Vajra for Wesker.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Flux.. man I want Flux to do really well. He has a lot of the elements of a good player and he understands how to play Marvel and his team really well. It's just he gets opened up and mindfucked sometimes. I think in a super high pressure situation he won't have the same nerves Chris G has. Same goes for RayRay. They've both shown they have the skill to fight Chris G, just not consistently.

I wonder who Chris G is scared about right now. Probably Wong, Flocker and Champ.

AE wise? I still like PR Balrog because he is more or less notes proof. Because of this, he also has a good chance of running the Japanese gauntlet.

Xian is obviously in good form but will probably hit people who know the match-up well. Even then, it isn't long sets so he might still do some damage.

Sako obviously could do a lot of damage if he actually shows up. It remains to be seen if this is going to happen or not and is one of the more hype things about the tournament to me. If he makes it to top 8? Look out.

Fuudo is still very strong and seems the least likely of names like Daigo to be knocked out randomly. You wouldn't back him to beat Infiltration though because that is where his consistency works against him. Daigo could do anything, but he seems pretty susceptible to characters like Cammy or Ibuki. Unless he has an alt he is comfortable with, I think his Ryu will end up to be a sinking ship.

The wildcards for me are Ryan Hart and Bonchan. In theory they have bad Sagat match-ups to deal with, but I also think they are the players best equipped to "know" those match ups well enough to overcome them anyway. As per my predictions, I wouldn't be surprised to see players like these two in top 8 along with some relative unknowns as the big names get randomed by match-ups themselves or knock each other out.

Wish I can go to Vegas but just spent the entire week there and one week is enough. Well at least the weather might be cooler.. Have fun!!!

Clawww

Flux is good and Zero is always a threat, but I don't think he can take out Chris at Evo. He's not quite at that caliber yet. Flocker very well could, though.

Personally, I'm looking forward to lots of Zero salt during/after Evo. Obviously many/most people recognize Zero as one of the nastiest characters in the game, but I want to hear people cry for nerfs, I wanna see DAT SALT

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Laptop HDMI out to TV in HD is god like.

That's how I watch most streams these days, but it's been stuttering on HD stuff. I stream Netflix in HD, but Twitch can turn into a slideshow sometimes. I also like having multiple streams going during Evo, and HD wouldn't be an option for that.

Alright alright the poor man comment was kinda taking it far but the main utility of Cold Shots is still the heavy lock down which it does better than Weasel Shot. That's why it lasts longer on screen, someone caught in it is bound to get opened up. Weasel Shot is a good rushdown/mix up assist for Trish (although Cold Shots get that job done too and people do play Trish with Cold Shots) but you are way better off with a Beam assist or Vajra for Wesker.

The point is that it combines the quality of a beam assist and a lockdown assist. It's nearly full screen and it has a bunch of active frames. It's an awesome assist, but only for the right characters. Wesker loses nothing by picking it, and Trish gains the world compared to a (non-iron man)beam assist or Vajra.

Trish gets to dash up, lock them down with it, then drop for a high/low/left/right mixup. Wesker calls it with normals and jump guns then gets a left/right mixup followed by a command grab mixup.

There is almost no situation that I can think of where Cold Star is better for Trish or Wesker than Weasel Shots, and the only assist that I think works as well for the team is maybe Bolts of Balthakk. But you could counterpick zoning teams with Plasma Beam and be workable.

Edgeward

Gonna root for a dark horse and say Kazunoko for AE. Other than that will root for any and all Sagats to break that ceiling and fight through all those legions of divekick and vortex characters

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
What a disgrace, The Smash section has no honorable mention of Gimpyfish62 (#1 Bowser) and Wizzrobe (15-yr old Hungrybox killing machine).

I know he didn't win a seed to EVO from Zenith because he didn't rank high enough in Melee but look at his Project M rank at Zenith:

Project M

Winners Finals:
Hungrybox (Jigglypuff, Wario) vs. Wizzrobe (Sonic) – 0-3

Grand Finals:
Wizzrobe (Sonic) vs. Hungrybox (Mario) – 3-1

Or you could've PM me when I asked for anybody who follows or is in the Smash community for any type of info. Just sayin.

iNEpC5BYoejHw.gif

C'mon bro

Wizzrobe is reportedly overall #1 in Smash64, Melee, Project M and Brawl in Florida. Over Hungrybox, they play together all the time and have grown close. I know he mains Sonic in M but he's formidable. (Lets not forget he destroyed Mew2King at Zenith) (on top of humiliating Hungrybox) I hate Sonic, but the boy is more than good.

Also Gimpyfish62 is the reason Bowser ever became tournament viable in the first place, he deserves some respect.

Or you could've PM me when I asked for anybody who follows or is in the Smash community for any type of info. Just sayin.

honestly I was not really mad bro, just hilarious that Mew2King was mentioned considering if it was P:M he'd lost to a 15 yer old Sonic main.

I'm not debating whether they're good or not. I'm not into smash so I have no idea. I just thought you took it too seriously. It's just an OP not some hall of fame.

Revven

The OP can't name everrryyyy player, Smash's list would be absolutely too long if anyone tried to include every notable player that entered Melee lol.

The main ones to watch out for are Armada, Mango, M2K, Dr. PP, and Hungrybox and as long as those five are in the OP, it's already good enough.

ad_idem

So hyped for evo this year! Especially for the Salty Suite streams, since they'll be epic.

Also I might be a bit out of the loop or something, but for those people picking Infiltration as their picks and listing him as MCZ Western Wolves, I thought he left a long time ago and was not currently sponsored?

All these gifs of EVO needs explanations, all of them look goofy as heck lol. I want to know the backstory to some of those, or at least a link to a video of when they happened.

If you're referencing the Marn vs Filipino Champ gif (quoted above) that's from the recent Curleh Mustache West Coast Volume 2 from last weekend. Marn had a lot of momentum and was poppin' off as he was playing and getting the crowd hype.

You can find the video >>here<< starting around the 5:42:30 mark.

Forgot which evo this was, but this was Sanford Kelly mashing out in MvC2.

Dahbomb

Come on man, Weasel Shot DOES NOT provide the same utility as a beam assist. You are now overrating the assist. I never said the team needs Cold Shots, certainly Cold Shots is garbage for Wesker (and for Vergil) but the team needs something full screen which Weasel Shot does not provide.

Honestly speaking as much as I hate to say it, replacing Dante with Doom (Plasma Beam) makes it a much better team. You still get unblockables but now both Trish and Wesker have Doom TAC option and full screen Plasma Beam assist.

Fuck Doom man... he makes everything better. The best support character in any Marvel game ever.

Who I want to win AE: Xian or Daigo
Who I think will win AE: Infiltration
Biggest threat to the above: Kazunoko
Who I want to win UMvC3: Nemo, JWong or RayRay
Who I think will win UMvC3: ChrisG
Biggest threat to the above: Flocker

Dahbomb

Alright I will do this too;

UMVC3:

Who I want to win: Justin "Marvelous" Wong or some international player like Nemo/KBR
Who I think will win: ChrisG

AE:

Who I want to win: Xian
Who I think will win: Infiltration

Injustice:

Who I want to win: ChrisG
Who I think will win: Perfect Legend (dude was sandbagging at CEO)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom