• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2017 The Fighting Game Tournament of the Year (Read OP, No Game Whining)

Josh5890

That was a great SFV finals. Interested to see the ESPN numbers. Capcom coming through with those season 2 changes enough to have a crazy mix of fighters in finals.

Yea. The nice thing about Smash 4, SF, and Tekken to an extent was the wide use of characters today and throughout the tournament.

Seriously a phenomenal EVO. I'm definitely going next year!

Anyone know if Barfights and/or salty suites streams going on? I need my fgc fix for post-evo lol...

Basketball

If anybody had to win minus Punk I'm super glad it's Tokido

but seriously if the dude gave himself a minute in the character select screen the outcome would have been different.

He lost mentally but good shit though.

JusDoIt

The ESPN production this year was the best possible advertisement for the game as a spectator sport. If fighting games fail to become a thing on TV, it's because people just aren't interested. It's not because the FGC has failed to put together a quality presentation.

Or it could be because Seth cried on live TV, but aside from that they nailed it.

WarRock

Fighting games that I tried to watch the entire tournament/top 8 and actually kept up with:

-SFV (No words. Just hype)
-Tekken 7 (Amazing tournament and amazing top 8)
-UMvC3 (One last send off for Marvel. RyanLV beating Chris G and ascending was satisfying to watch)
-GGXrd (First time watching a major for this game, very fun and am inspired to pick it up now)
-Injustice 2 (First NRS game that I haven't picked up, but not a bad top 8. Too much Aquaman tho)

Fighting games that I checked out their stream and find them interesting:
-Blazblue (Never thought I'd like the gameplay but here we are)
-Smash 4 (Actually a pretty fun game to watch not gonna lie.)
-KoF XIV (NEVER THOUGHT THAT THIS GAME WOULD BE SO HYPE THAT DAIMON SUPER IN GF AAAAAAHHHH)
KoF is ALWAYS hype.

Amazing Evo! Maybe the best SFV tournament I've ever seen. Too many hype matches and Tokido's play was masterful.

What a great show, already can't wait for next year (and for Punk's runback!)!

I'm gonna miss UMVC3 though, I'm not really feeling MVCI...

Goodstyle

I swear there was a moment when Tokido was holding the trophy in the line up and getting his name called, Punk looked over at the trophy in Tokido's hand and started crying even harder before looking away. If punk wasn't a massive shit talker I would have felt bad but in this context it was hilarious.

Congrats Tokido!!!
Damn, that is humiliating. I feel for Punk.

MrDaravon

Punk still being 300+ points ahead of Tokido is crazy.

DE6flPrWAAAV74l.png

Kashiwaba

Amazing Evo! Maybe the best SFV tournament I've ever seen. Too many hype matches and Tokido's play was masterful.

What a great show, already can't way for next year (and for Punk's runback!)!

It's a bit too early to judge MVC:I people need to give it a chance the games seems pretty deep so far.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

What a great show, already can't way for next year (and for Punk's runback!)!

MVCI will come around. I think capcom understands the legacy of that series and they will support and improve as necessary.

They need to fix the atrocious UI. It's garbage tier.

Xeteh

I swear there was a moment when Tokido was holding the trophy in the line up and getting his name called, Punk looked over at the trophy in Tokido's hand and started crying even harder before looking away. If punk wasn't a massive shit talker I would have felt bad but in this context it was hilarious.

Congrats Tokido!!!

The Alpha.

I'm glad Tokido won it. He was looking like the best throughout season 1, and then started to fall off in season 2. Thought he might have lost his best chance to claim one of those world titles.

Guy was just on his game this weekend.

kitzkozan

I don't see how punk can keep up his alpha schtick after crying like that.

Meh, he's still a kid and I have seen numerous junior level players weeps after a huge loss. :p I'm relieved in a way because there is a risk for a young player to become complacent when they win too much too soon. Tokido needed years to finally win an EVO (just like Chris G in Marvel 3), so this is a good lesson for Punk. You always have to be on your toes, always be ready to improvise and think of new strategies on the fly to stay at the very top because you will run into super hot players eventually (or those who are your black beast).

Josh5890

Guaranteed
Street Fighter V
Tekken 7
Smash 4
King of Fighters XIV
Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite

Probably
Injustice
Melee- I woudn't be surprised to see this go

Two out of these Three
Dragonball FighterZ