• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2017 The Fighting Game Tournament of the Year (Read OP, No Game Whining)

Unlucky

Great photos of Tokido's win from Robert Paul

DE6dcImVYAA8bfT.jpg

DE6dcInV0AEDjY3.jpg

DE6dcIoUMAIlljB.jpg

DE6dcIqUIAAC3SB.jpg

janoDX

Have you not seen Punk in any tournaments?

Do you realize that this is Punk's first EVO?

At 18?

And never been on a bigger stage before?

The guy was nervous and noticed that since Top 8 started he was scared almost to the point of anxiety. This loss will only make him stronger, mark my words. Also, he might taunt and he might trash talk, but he's his own major critic, he knows when he does something wrong and tries to fix it, his match vs Itazan showed that he improved his Nash to face Zangief, a loss like this is the wake-up call for so many champions and I believe this is no exception.

Just, look at his last tweet.

He knows he fucked up, he knows he cracked up, but he also wanted this and prepared for it for so long.

Arika's game? Yeah probably. I don't see that getting enough traction to get a slot in the Evo lineup though.

it feels like everything's coming out next year. hype!

I wonder if it will make it to EVO next year. Would be Interesting to see. Too many Games I don't know next year will be the first time EVO lineup announcement will have some suspense. All I can say for sure that we will get SFV or SSFV if that's out, MvC:I thats it.

mbpm1

Tokido has always been very photogenic

Someone find that photo of Tokido after losing to Infiltration last year.

The one where he looks like out of a noir movie plotting his revenge

colinp

Banned
Daigo was asked who he thought would win at Bar Fight Round 2 and he said Tokido, ahahaha twitch chat blows up with "Daigo the Prophet!"

There isn't a coming back from this though. This was bigger than Punk. This was the one real chance America had to win EVO & he lost it. Capcup doesn't mean shit. This meant everything and he lost. For 355 days not just Punk but all of America needs to hold that shit. Nothing can redeem this except winning EVO next year.

Keylow415

Punk is only 18 to so he's still a kid and having a lot of success can get to your head. Him being emotional shows that he really cares so I think that's a good thing. Just have to learn how to lose and get better from it.

There isn't a coming back from this though. This was bigger than Punk. This was the one real chance America had to win EVO & he lost it. Capcup doesn't mean shit. This meant everything and he lost. For 355 days not just Punk but all of America needs to hold that shit. Nothing can redeem this except winning EVO next year.

Do you see them winning it next year if SSFV is indeed released and its on arcades?

I wonder if it will make it to EVO next year. Would be Interesting to see. Too many Games I don't know next year will be the first time EVO lineup announcement will have some suspense. All I can say for sure that we will get SFV or SSFV if that's out, MvC:I thats it.
I wanna hear the OST to Arika's game.

The EX series had fucking incredible soundtracks, some characters had better music than their SF2 themes.

f7FdEdG.jpg

Really, everyone thought US had SF5 in lock this year. It was a surprise that only 3/8 was American in top 8, but the favorites were still in. But having Tokido win really felt like a dark horse victory.

Dahbomb

Sadly this is true. I don't think US can achieve this peak again for a while in SF.

Our best player in Grand Finals waiting to play a dude who he himself put him into losers. Everything was set in play for this moment to happen... and he got mind fucked + downloaded.

Next year we also will have the talent drain that will happen due to Marvel Infinite. Even Punk will be trying at the game. You got people like FChamp making top 8 this year at EVO for SFV... yeah that's not happening again next year when he's fully focused on Marvel and maybe even DBZ.

HardRojo

Tokido has always been very photogenic

Someone find that photo of Tokido after losing to Infiltration last year.

The one where he looks like out of a noir movie plotting his revenge
One only needs to look at that Tokido ice cream pic from TGS I believe, to realize that lol.

I do hope EVO Japan will be just as hype as this.

A little sad VF isn't on there. I think Japan would show up for that game despite it being dead in the US. They can certainly get to 500 players and have proven it. Evo must be banking on KOF's Chinese presence because I think Japan itself would have more numbers for VF.

mbpm1

Sadly this is true. I don't think US can achieve this peak again for a while in SF.

Our best player in Grand Finals waiting to play a dude who he himself put him into losers. Everything was set in play for this moment to happen... and he got mind fucked + downloaded.

Next year we also will have the talent drain that will happen due to Marvel Infinite. Even Punk will be trying at the game. You got people like FChamp making top 8 this year at EVO for SFV... yeah that's not happening again next year when he's fully focused on Marvel and maybe even DBZ.

It's just not meant to be man.

USA is never winning SF at EVO. We had every advantage handed to us and we squandered it USA USA USA.

janoDX

f7FdEdG.jpg

Really, everyone thought US had SF5 in lock this year. It was a surprise that only 3/8 was American in top 8, but the favorites were still in. But having Tokido win really felt like a dark horse victory.

Tokido ran through every favorite to win, Kaz, Itazan, Du and Punk. I know, "never count Tokido out", but this year wasn't good for him.

I think Champ and Itazan had the biggest chance to take him out and if that happened, I think Punk could have won the entire thing.

Chauzu

The Evo Japan Smash 4 turnout will be interesting. It's the week after Genesis 4, one of the biggest Smash tournaments of the year, and that tournament usually has good japanese turnout. Will japanese go to both? Prioritize Evo Japan? Will US smashers skip out on Evo Japan entirely? Will be interesting to see.

I'd like Evo Japan to be a major tournament but that would require more top players outside of Japan entering...

Xeteh

Do you realize that this is Punk's first EVO?

At 18?

And never been on a bigger stage before?

The guy was nervous and noticed that since Top 8 started he was scared almost to the point of anxiety. This loss will only make him stronger, mark my words. Also, he might taunt and he might trash talk, but he's his own major critic, he knows when he does something wrong and tries to fix it, his match vs Itazan showed that he improved his Nash to face Zangief, a loss like this is the wake-up call for so many champions and I believe this is no exception.

Just, look at his last tweet.

He knows he fucked up, he knows he cracked up, but he also wanted this and prepared for it for so long.

That's all well and good but it was one weekend after a season of him being the total opposite. Sure he's got room to grow and he's easily one of the best in the world but because he's young and fell under the pressure, I don't see why it makes him sympathetic.

i don't think so. even in the goofy interview before the finals with gootecks he said he was nervous to face tokido. He showed a surprising amount of deference. makes sense since apparently tokido slapped him in casuals they played earlier that weekend.

Ah well, didn't see that from being there. Guess he just psyched himself out. The reset absolutely killed him too.

What's crazier is that Champ actually gave Tokido a harder time than Punk.

mbpm1

The reset didn't have to kill him. He could have went back to character select and reset the situation.

Instead he charged in like a noob. He was done then.

Experience and fundamentals won tonight. When your opponent was playing FG even before you were born 20+ years of experience will certainly come in handy. And it showed. Punk looked outclass and outsmarted. He was seeing stars like a boxer who is up against far experienced opponent and by 5th round he was lucky to be standing up still while his opponents is running laps around him.

Do you see them winning it next year if SSFV is indeed released and its on arcades?
There is no SSFV. Stop believing that stupid rumor. There is just season 3. And it doesn't make a difference. The impending Season 3 balance patch will shift the tiers are again just like last year. The players on that stage, their characters might not even be viable in Season 3. If the balance shifts towards Japanese mained characters the window of opportunity will have shut.

Potential games out by next Evo.

Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite, Dragon Ball FighterZ, Dissidia NT, Persona Cross Tag Battle, Arika EX, That weird F2P Smash clone

That's sort of crazy.

Honestly, forget his wins against Kazunoko and Itazan. Tokido's wins against the 3 Americans were actually his most impressive and in someways surprising victories. I think in tournament Tokido was 0-2 against F Champ and has been beaten badly many by Knuckledu since late last year with both Akuma and Ryu.

Although word got out that he dominated Punk in casuals, Punk is and IMO still the reigning best SFV player on the planet even after Tokido's amazing run. So he conquered 2 demons and beat the best in the world. I honestly didn't believe he had a shot because winning EVO meant he had to beat Champ and Du, which I didn't think he could. I wonder if he can keep up this momentum and continue being a top 3 guy the rest of the year because his performance until EVO has been a little lackluster.

Dahbomb

Experience and fundamentals won tonight. When your opponent was playing FG even before you were born 20+ years of experience will certainly come in handy. And it showed. Punk looked outclass and outsmarted. He was seeing stars like a boxer who is up against far experienced opponent and by 5th round he was lucky to be standing up still while his opponents is running laps around him.
I don't think Tokido is particularly more skilled at the game than Punk, it was a difference in experience at the big stage. Punk looked nervous all top 8, even when he was dominating. He was definitely not playing at peak Punk level against Tokido, ran into so many errant knees. People still forget that Punk put Tokido in losers, it happened just yesterday!

janoDX

That's all well and good but it was one weekend after a season of him being the total opposite. Sure he's got room to grow and he's easily one of the best in the world but because he's young and fell under the pressure, I don't see why it makes him sympathetic.

Because due to his approach to the game, and his thoughts, that everyone was staying behind and not improving, he's pushing those people to do better. He might be a trollish person and likes to talk trash and stuff but if you saw his face all this weekend he was a different person, he went full serious, he took himself so seriously he broke down at the end.

The reset didn't have to kill him. He could have went back to character select and reset the situation.

Instead he charged in like a noob. He was done then.
What did Punk have in the pocket that could counter ToKuma? Are you allowed to go to char select and stall and just pick the same character? Because that's whack.

Lucumo

Jiyuna in the anime suite was just talking about that and he said he doubted it would be. Takes place near the end of the season, where people would just want to relax. It wouldn't be international bc people not in japan will just want to destress at that time and not travel 9 hours.

As long as it's Asia and somewhat approaches Tougeki's level (and doesn't have Western games), it will be good enough.

By the time Tokido got to punk he had already power up Akuma from taking so many souls .
He had a hell of run to get to the GF .

Tokido was flowing and Punk was waiting in the bleachers for good while.. in a way it's hard to turn on that switch when the other guy has been fighting for his tournament life.

I don't think Tokido is particularly more skilled at the game than Punk, it was a difference in experience at the big stage. Punk looked nervous all top 8, even when he was dominating. He was definitely not playing at peak Punk level against Tokido, ran into so many errant knees.

Yeah he just doesn't have the experience at that level. I would still say Tokido's FG basic fundamentals are leagues beyond punk. I don't see punk doing well in fundamental heavy game like SF 2,3,4 etc.

mbpm1

What did Punk have in the pocket that could counter ToKuma? Are you allowed to go to char select and stall and just pick the same character? Because that's whack.

I'm surprised you haven't seen people do this before.

It's very common. Across many games and many tournaments.

Xeteh

Because due to his approach to the game, and his thoughts, that everyone was staying behind and not improving, he's pushing those people to do better. He might be a trollish person and likes to talk trash and stuff but if you saw his face all this weekend he was a different person, he went full serious, he took himself so seriously he broke down at the end.

I don't see how him dropping combos to teabag or bringing teabags with his face on them to a tournament is "pushing them to do better". I really hope he keeps taking the approach he took this weekend because his talent would make him so easy to cheer for but until he proves it I'm not just going to jump on TeamPunk because he was emotional after Evo.

Of course you can do that. And he should have done that

I'm surprised you haven't seen people do this before.

It's very common. Across many games and many tournaments.

It just seems like a very cheap/artificial way to break momentum and stall. Personally I disagree with that and think it's akin to a team calling two time-outs in a row in the NFL (aka unsportsmanlike conduct penalty), but I guess I'm in the minority.

It just seems like a very cheap/artificial way to break momentum and stall. Personally I disagree with that, but I guess I'm in the minority.

There are anti-stalling rules in most tournaments (like you can't just sit there for 10 minutes thinking, for example), but yes it's absolutely a way for someone to get a quick breather. Probably the only way.

Alucrid

Banned
not western made, yo. we wouldn't have any games. i mean games popular enough in the west to bring in the players.

ok. so you got rid of blazblue, an anime game, for dragonball z, a literal anime game, added in smash 64 for some reason and dropped out KOF to be replaced by a vote in which it or some nintendo garbage will probably win. doesn't seem like it changes that much to me.

Top Bottom