• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EW: Netflix making a Western series with Game of Thrones star (Jason Momoa)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frog-fu

Banned
Netflix’s next drama series is a Western.

The streaming company has greenlit Frontier, a series set in the late 18th century starring Jason Momoa (Game of Thrones, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice) and directed by Brad Peyton (San Andreas).

The series is described by Netflix as “an action-packed adventure drama following the chaotic and violent struggle to control wealth and power in the North American fur trade in the late 18th century. Told from multiple perspectives, the series takes place in a world where business negotiations might be resolved with close-quarter hatchet fights, and where delicate relations between Native tribes and Europeans can spark bloody conflicts.”

In addition to Momoa, the series also stars Alun Armstrong (Braveheart), Landon Liboiron (Hemlock Grove) and Zoe Boyle (Downton Abbey).

Source

Sounds pretty dope to me. I love that Westerns are beginning to make something of a comeback. Momoa is awesome so I'm definitely in.

dork

Banned
Sign me up for more westerns since hell on wheels is ending, dont really care about Jason Momoa though

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
*shrugs*

I liked Momoa in The Red Road. I don't think a lot of people caught that one since it was on the Sundance Channel, but I'm pretty sure it's on Netflix. I mean he doesn't have to stretch himself much since he plays a tough guy in that, but I never thought "Oh he's a bad actor" or anything.

I love Westerns, but I'm cautious about this unless someone from Justified or Deadwood is involved here.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Aren't Westerns more in the late 19th century, usually? 18th century sounds... pre-western, I guess, haha.

Seems like it's more action than drama. Which may or may not be a bad thing, hard to say... Not sure about Momoa as a lead though. :\

[quote="God's Beard!";188349281]I miss Deadwood.[/quote]
Me too. But I think Hell on Wheels ended up being better overall, to be honest. Deadwood started out strong but the cancellation really hurt its last season.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'd be far more worried about Brad Peyton directing than Jason Momoa's acting chops.

Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore
Journey 2: The Mysterious Island
San Andreas
Incarnate (some WWE/Blumhouse horror flick only released in a couple European countries so far)

And forthcoming:
Journey 3: From the Earth to the Moon
Rampage (yes, an adaptation of the video game)

His career is almost entirely dumb spectacle.

I'd be far more worried about Brad Peyton directing than Jason Momoa's acting chops.

San Andreas
Incarnate (some WWE/Blumhouse horror flick only released in a couple European countries so far)

And forthcoming:

Those journey films are still being made?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

San Andreas

And forthcoming:

Ewww. I bet they would have gotten The Rock to star instead if he wasn't busy with his films and Ballers.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Those journey films are still being made?
I believe they'd even announced plans for a 4th at the same time, but The Rock's schedule has become so packed, there's a chance the Journey sequels and the Rampage movie never materialize. I don't think any of those are greenlit. Who knows.

I believe they'd even announced plans for a 4th at the same time, but The Rock's schedule has become so packed, there's a chance the Journey sequels and the Rampage movie never materialize. I don't think any of those are greenlit. Who knows.

That's probably for the best.

Fantomex

This guy is the new Taylor Kitsch, they'll keep trying until he bombs a big blockbuster. Dude can't play caveman every movie.

San Andreas

And forthcoming:

lmao at this list. is this the rock's go to wasteman director? they made a journey sequel?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
No idea what Journey is, but yeah I noticed the "San Andreas" part next to the director's name and that didn't fill me with confidence.

It's probably gonna be shlocky bang bang action with no plot. :( Which might work in some movies but in a TV series...?

Though to be fair, directing and writing are not the same thing. Are these dumb spectacle movies badly directed, or just badly written?

How'd this end up going from Netflix to Discovery?

Saw the trailer before a few YouTube videos and it seemed kind of silly.

Please spill.

it's produced by Discovery Canada so it aired on Discovery over here and is gonna be distributed on Netflix in the US in some undetermined time i guess.

i'll check it out if it's decent, I think the setting hasn't really been touched upon much.

He was in this?

Yes he was, and he was a badass

tvGFwvZ_NXrl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom