• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu: PSP vs DS

TheGreenGiant said:
Damn. Troll.

1. Obselte? What's the call on that? most people have regarded it as the more innovative of the 2.

2. why not? It's new and different. And you're talking demos. At least Nintendo had demos. I forgot, you like eyecandy so much you're going with rolling video demos

3. They've demoed that you can use dual screen for more reasons that maps. You can now have a game that plays really vertically and more. That's why developers are excited about the DS

4. They won't have to. GBA games will play on the DS, and then everyone is developing for it. So they will have games.

5. You do know that the E3 prototype is going to be revised?

1. I was talking about hardware power. It's no more than a N64. Old technology, just like the GBA (I'm waiting for some old school fanboy to come and say graphics doesn't matter. It's ok). Nintendo is looking to the past as always, while Sony aims for the future.

2. I do like eyecandy, what's so wrong about it? Did you try the demos? Well, I did and they were pretty bad. I'd rather see the potential use of that techonolgy and not a bad pratical example.

3. If they can come up with some creative use of the two screens, great. But Nintendo didn't demo anything convincing yet... or maybe they just keeping the good ideas for themselves... I just don't see dual screen as a great, innovative idea, but only an small effort towards product differentiation.

4. Of course, but this is no reason for excitement. Personally I coudn't care less for GBA emulation. If Nintendo is coming with a new product that co-exists with GBA, they should try to make it something new and unique.

5. I hope so.

I didn't want to sound against Nintendo (always loved them), but the DS hype is something I'm still trying to understand.

Black_Mamba said:
Tell this to Apple. You may not give a shit about good design, but it's one of the most important things today. The fact that the PSP looks 100x better than the DS is almost enough for me to bet on Sony this time.

oH this. Sure the ipod is sexy but the ipod has more to do with music which can become something people can be emotionally attached with, its also unobtrusive, you listen to it and no one notices or stares. The Ipod is also non-gender specific. Its appeal is unversal more so than a gaming console; as cool the PSP is.. you're going to look like a dork playing videogames on the move; no matter if its PSP/GBA/SP/DS.

and you're also not discussing costs. PSP will cost much much more than a DS

Black_Mamba said:
1. I was talking about hardware power. It's no more than a N64. Old technology, just like the GBA (I'm waiting for some old school fanboy to come and say graphics doesn't matter. It's ok). Nintendo is looking to the past as always, while Sony aims for the future.

2. I do like eyecandy, what's so wrong about it? Did you try the demos? Well, I did and they were pretty bad. I'd rather see the potential use of that techonolgy and not a bad pratical example.

3. If they can come up with some creative use of the two screens, great. But Nintendo didn't demo anything convincing yet... or maybe they just keeping the good ideas for themselves... I just don't see dual screen as a great, innovative idea, but only an small effort towards product differentiation.

4. Of course, but this is no reason for excitement. Personally I coudn't care less for GBA emulation. If Nintendo is coming with a new product that co-exists with GBA, they should try to make it something new and unique.

5. I hope so.

I didn't want to sound against Nintendo (always loved them), but the DS hype is something I'm still trying to understand.

good to hear that it isn't the bias going. sounded like it for a bit.

Just because technology is old doesn't make it bad. Being able to carry around a N64+ portable is actually going forward considering that its portable. The GBA has proven that console limitations actually forces game developers to make creative games. And honestly 2d rocks. If you want 3d gaming; why not just get a new next gen console? As for the term obselte; I can argue that since the PSP is PS2 tech+; it too is obselete in the face of coming consoles. Well, won't touch on it too much but for all its glitter, I sure hope the PSP battery life holds up.

Unlike you I'm kind of excited about both consoles and am looking forward to seeing both. I do believe that the DS will slaughter the PSP over time though. All the multimedia functionality just isn't that useful.

jiggle

TheGreenGiant said:
you're going to look like a dork playing videogames on the move; no matter if its PSP/GBA/SP/DS.

That hasn't stopped people from buying up all the different colors and designs of GBA SP, now, has it? I don't see anything wrong with wanting the handheld that look nice, physically.

Maybe when both companies announce the pricing, it'll be worth discussing. Until then, it's "all a moo point".

arter_2

look the ds may be behind the technology curve but who cares. What i dont get is why people say the psp can do all this but at what cost. I mean look the friggan machine can't be played for more then 2 1/2 hours. hell it can do lower end graphics but the games you all tout as being the next big thing, i hate to tell it to you are only going to last 2 maybe 3 hours. Hell if every one is going to go all graphics whore on the psp what will make people buy the lower end graphic games. No one will they might as well just go make games for the ds whyere it will be more appreciated.

maybe the ds is the way it is so that the portable is a little more streamlined nintendo can make a portable gamecube but they wont cause the battery tech isnt thier yet to run it.

jiggle said:
That hasn't stopped people from buying up all the different colors and designs of GBA SP, now, has it? I don't see anything wrong with wanting the handheld that look nice, physically.

Maybe when both companies announce the pricing, it'll be worth discussing. Until then, it's "all a moo point".

a) colours and design.. yes. Design is meritous and the GBASP does it well. But why are you quoting the bit about dorks?

b) do you seriously think the PSP will be 1) cheaper 2) same. It will cost more.

jiggle

TheGreenGiant said:
b) do you seriously think the PSP will be 1) cheaper 2) same. It will cost more.

I'm giving it a benefit of the doubt(or is that the benefit of a doubt? whatever), like what you are giving to DS's design.

and pssst, ps2 cost more than Gamecube too, but people(in the beginning) still ate it up for the dvd player bonus.

a) colours and design.. yes. Design is meritous and the GBASP does it well. But why are you quoting the bit about dorks?

I'm lost, your point on a good looking handheld is what?

Spike

Black_Mamba said:

Guess what, mate. The PS3 will release the year after the PSP debuts, hence the PSP will be old technology too.

TheGreenGiant said:
oH this. Sure the ipod is sexy but the ipod has more to do with music which can become something people can be emotionally attached with, its also unobtrusive, you listen to it and no one notices or stares. The Ipod is also non-gender specific. Its appeal is unversal more so than a gaming console; as cool the PSP is.. you're going to look like a dork playing videogames on the move; no matter if its PSP/GBA/SP/DS.

It may be another paradigm for Sony to break. Videogames were so uncool before the PSOne and now they're socially acceptable. Who knows one day you could play your PSP wherever you wan't without looking like a dork... ;)

It's impossible to say if the PSP could be seen as a cool object just like an iPod is, but i'm sure people will buy a good design also to please themselves and not only to show off.

I take this in consideration, but again, it's no reason for this level of excitement. I'd rather wait and see how much this price difference will be before getting excited by the cheap and more "down to earth", so to say, platform.

puck1337

I'd say the "Which do you want to be left standing in the end?" is probably the most interesting of all. The other answers were pretty predictable.

Vargas

With the PSP's shitty battery life, and meant for "home" use, I'll stick to the PS2.

No one knows what the battery life of the PSP is yet. To call it shitty is just getting ahead of yourself.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
on a side note, I'd like to point out how Nintendo is already losing his battle with Sony on the marketing front. I mean, we (game jurno) got a lot of good promotional materials for PSP (very hi-res images of the system seen from any fucking angle) to put on our multiplatform mag covers. What did Nintendo released? Just two not so big images portraing the system from the front, one with metroid and the other one with Mario64x4. Expect lots of front cover with the PSP on it and developers to be impressed by the coverage ignoring that the only reason for that coverage is, plain and simple, the availability of cool press material.

TTP said:
on a side note, I'd like to point out how Nintendo is already losing his battle with Sony on the marketing front. I mean, we (game jurno) got a lot of good promotional materials for PSP (very hi-res images of the system seen from any fucking angle) to put on our multiplatform mag covers. What did Nintendo released? Just two not so big images portraing the system from the front, one with metroid and the other one with Mario64x4. Expect lots of front cover with the PSP on it and developers to be impressed by the coverage ignoring that the only reason for that coverage is, plain and simple, the availability of cool press material.

a) Sony needs the hype. Emotion Engine?

b) Maybe that's cause Nintendo are going to redesign the model? The current DS is kind of fugly so I see more than a great amount of logic in not getting the current model pics out. They're also launching first so come November, that's all going to change. Expect to be deluged with clips/games. Kerry(?) Marketing VP of Nintendo did say that they will have a show to showcase DS final and the press will be invited when they are ready. Surely you have to be aware that this is going to happen.

TTP said:
cool press material.

sucked in

TTP said:

It's to be expected though, Sony's marketing ability is second to none. Whether or not they can take over Nintendo remains to be seen, but Nintendo can't take them lightly at all (as they seem to be doing).

Top Bottom