• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu Sales: Week 21, 2024 (May 20 - May 26)

www.famitsu.com

【ソフト&ハード週間販売数】『ペーパーマリオRPG』が11万本を売り上げ首位を獲得! Switch版『デジボク地球防衛軍2』もトップ10入り【5/20~5/26】 | ゲーム・エンタメ最新情報のファミ通.com

[Weekly software and hardware sales figures] "Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door" tops the charts with 115,000 units sold! Switch version of "Earth Defense Force 2" also enters the top 10 [5/20-5/26]​

Sales ranking announced by Famitsu. Here is a summary of the estimated weekly sales figures for video games and hardware from May 20 to May 26, 2024.

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door which depicts the great adventure of Mario and friends who have become as thin as paper took the top spot in its first appearance. This title is based on the GameCube version released in 2004 with improvements to the graphics and ease of play. It is a fun title with a variety of stage gimmicks such as using his thin body to fit through narrow gaps and transforming into a paper airplane to fly in the sky and has sold over 100,000 units.

Coming in third is Earth Defense Force 2: World Brothers which is also making its debut. This is a spin-off of the Earth Defense Force series in which you become a member of the Earth Defense Force and fight giant creatures. It is a 3D action shooter that features a world where everything including characters and objects are made up of square voxels. It's a title we'll be keeping an eye on for future sales.

Apart from these, there are a number of familiar titles that appear every week including Stellar Blade which topped the charts for three consecutive weeks but has since dropped in rank to sixth place, making it into the top ten for four consecutive weeks.

Famitsu Sales: Week 21, 2024 (May 20 - May 26)​

Software​

1st Switch Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
115,649 (total 115,649) New / Nintendo / May 23, 2024

2nd Switch Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
6,056 (total 5,848,388) -15% / Nintendo / April 28, 2017

3rd Switch Earth Defense Force 2: World Brothers
5,711 (total 5,711) New / D3 Publisher / May 23, 2024

4th Switch Ring Fit Adventure
5,122 (total 3,575,312) -51% / Nintendo / October 18, 2019

5th Switch Animal Crossing: New Horizons
5,075 (total 7,777,029) -16% / Nintendo / March 20, 2020

6th PS5 Stellar Blade
4,323 (total 95,422) -60% / Sony Interactive Entertainment / April 26, 2024

7th Switch Minecraft
4,189 (total of 3,537,779) -10%/ Microsoft Japan / June 21, 2018

8th Switch Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
3,875 (total 5,513,822) +5% / Nintendo / December 7, 2018

9th Switch Super Mario Bros. Wonder
3,752 (total of 1,859,718) -11%/ Nintendo / October 20, 2023

10th Switch Splatoon 3
3,733 (total 4,304,838) -5% / Nintendo / September 9, 2022

Hardware​

• Switch - 3,542 (total: 19,797,357)
  • Switch Lite - 7,546 (total 5,855,582)
  • Switch Oled - 36,944 (total 7,298,794)
  • PS5 -17,476 (total 4,858,377)
  • PS5 DE - 5,892 (total 780,385)
  • Xbox Series X - 1,769 (total 278,159)
  • Xbox Series S - 330 (total 312,929)
  • PS4 - 131 (total 7,926,045)

rie1YVH.png

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
A nice uptick in HW sales this week. Good opening for Paper Mario, and Stellar Blade should reach 100k copies sold at retail within a couple of weeks' time (perhaps a bit longer if the week-on-week drops are more significant).

I hate that Sony are becoming profit hungry A-Holes now. The PS5's price is just too high.

Japan Switch hardware sales are holding up so much better than the U.S and Europe, April Circana sales for April were around 130K and Famitsu sales from April 1 to 28 were 250K (71.9K + 71.3K + 64.3K + 43.0K).

Nintendo really are the kings of Japan. But it's also not that surprising Switch is holding better there; Japanese gamers don't seem as fussed about having the newest prettiest-looking games as their Western counterparts. They also don't seem as interested in gritty realistic war simulators or Hollywood-style mature epics (tho there are exceptions, like Rise of the Ronin and Ghosts of Tsushima).

Japanese gaming culture just seems much better balanced in appreciating a wider selection of games, than most Western equivalents. Certainly more than the American one.

Japan Switch hardware sales are holding up so much better than the U.S and Europe, April Circana sales for April were around 130K and Famitsu sales from April 1 to 28 were 250K (71.9K + 71.3K + 64.3K + 43.0K).

I think we may see one last bump this fall/winter as Nintendo finally starts being serious about discounting to prepare for Switch 2. It's pretty amazing (in a bad way, for consumers) that MSRP has held this entire generation.

Woopah

Nintendo really are the kings of Japan. But it's also not that surprising Switch is holding better there; Japanese gamers don't seem as fussed about having the newest prettiest-looking games as their Western counterparts. They also don't seem as interested in gritty realistic war simulators or Hollywood-style mature epics (tho there are exceptions, like Rise of the Ronin and Ghosts of Tsushima).

Japanese gaming culture just seems much better balanced in appreciating a wider selection of games, than most Western equivalents. Certainly more than the American one.
I don't think it's much about graphics as it is that third parties simply haven't got the same software strength in Japan as they do in the West.

Plenty of games with not great graphics do well in the West.

And that's a problem for Sony which has tradionally relied on third party software.

Last edited:

Kerotan

Monster hunter wilds will be pretty big in Japan.

I know it's PS5/PC in Japan. Will it release on Xbox there as well?

I'm assuming based off it's pretty average looking graphics compared to World they'll try do a switch 2 port in a few years. Or maybe they'll be happy to just make a seperate game.

Gambit2483

I hate that Sony are becoming profit hungry A-Holes now. The PS5's price is just too high.
With less software sales/licenses to profit from (especially shovelwares) it seems they are no longer content with making a loss on hardware like in the old days.

Woopah

MH Wilds being at the top is no surprise but it's interesting to see Pragmata so high up.

Can't believe Pragmata and Luigi's Mansion 2 HD are so high and yet DQ can't be seen anywhere.
Monster hunter wilds will be pretty big in Japan.

I know it's PS5/PC in Japan. Will it release on Xbox there as well?

I'm assuming based off it's pretty average looking graphics compared to World they'll try do a switch 2 port in a few years. Or maybe they'll be happy to just make a seperate game.
This is one of most interesting things about the game to me. Whether Capcom keeps a PS/PC focused MH team and a Nintendo/PC focused MH team, or whether they make both teams fully multiplatform.

Astral Dog

Can't believe Pragmata and Luigi's Mansion 2 HD are so high and yet DQ can't be seen anywhere.

This is one of most interesting things about the game to me. Whether Capcom keeps a PS/PC focused MH team and a Nintendo/PC focused MH team, or whether they make both teams fully multiplatform.
I believe next generation will be 100% multiplatform in such cases, no point in separate teams anymore when development costs will get another boost, (unless say, Nintendo pays for an exclusive game,but even then i doubt its necessary if the entire series comes day one on their platform)MH World wasn't compatible with the original Switch so they needed to make another game to remain competitive

Switch 2 will mark the time when many AAA games will be designed to be compatible, rather than a late port or exclusive version.

Last edited:

Woopah

I believe next generation will be 100% multiplatform in such cases, no point in separate teams anymore when development costs will get another boost, (unless say, Nintendo pays for an exclusive game,but even then i doubt its necessary if the entire series comes day one on their platform)MH World wasn't compatible with the original Switch so they needed to make another game to remain competitive

Switch 2 will mark the time when many AAA games will be designed to be compatible, rather than a late port or exclusive version.
It's going to be very interesting to see what kind of numbers third party AAA games can do in Japan when fully multiplatform.

Robb

Gold Member
Good to see TTYD do well! I really hope they use it as the foundation for Paper Mario going forward on “Switch 2”.

Top Bottom