• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 (PS4) God Rays Removed in Latest Patch (Why Ubi??)

low-G

Those Nov 24th patch notes: "Fixed occlusion bug"

At Ubi offices:
"Hey the sun is being blocked but it's still rendering the god rays, only you can't see them cuz polygons being rendered on top of them"

"Just disable the effect noone will notice lol"

Sunbream sounds stupid.

QqRlOIW.jpg

hunchback

I bet it was intentional to make PS4 version onpar with X1.

If I ever buy this it will be on PC unless they fix

MS isn't going to demand a patch for removal of one lighting part. They're not going to say remove the sunbeam. It doesn't work like that. More than likely what happened is that fixing one bug caused another to start. It happened with patches from PC game's in the 90's.

So...what was this patch SUPPOSED to do? As in fix?

Playstation 4/Playstation 3

Fixed some random crashes on all game modes.
Fixed host migration edge random & case issues
Fixed custom match stability issues
Fixed join-in-progress edge case issues
Fixed progression page issues in Story missions
Fixed functionality issues in the shop menu
Fixed several localization issues (cut-off text, subtitles)
Fixed various low repro walkthrough breaks
Fixed host migration random issues specific to coop
Fixed minor gameplay functionality issues
Fixed aiming issues with the machine gun weapon
Fixed minor and low repro QTE issue with specific animals
Fixed Map Browser issues
Fixed occlusion and navmesh issues
Fixed some missing audio in radio calls

Playstation 4 Only

Coop will no longer cause users to hang on the main menu and with the second player unable to progress to the lobby.

Raonak

Banned
It's like ubisoft are trying their hardest to tarnish their already abysmal reputation.

I hope it's just a bug, considering im gonna be getting it soon. The implications that ubisoft are intentially disabling effects via patches is damming, and a scary precedent.
Might wait on a patch first.

Chaplain

That's an horrible coincidence. I don't know what to think.

I know what I thought when I heard about this yesterday. Ubisoft specifically took out the god rays on the PS4 due to something with X1 version.. At this point, is it safe to assume that Ubisoft will now do whatever MS tells them to do when it comes to forced parity? The past years evidence points me to a resounding yes.

Cuyejo

Mmmh, if Nvidia got a hand on this that would be pretty scummy from them, totally not cool. It would also set a bad precedent for any Nvidia endorsed games on the future... If only there was a way to get an answer from Ubilol.

omonimo

Banned
I know what I thought when I heard about this yesterday. Ubisoft specifically took out the god rays on the PS4 due to something with X1 version.. At this point, is it safe to assume that Ubisoft will now do whatever MS tells them to do when it comes to forced parity? The past years evidence points me to a resounding yes.
I don't think MS has something to do with this. I suspect the same Ubisoft want intentionally parity on both platforms. Probably they are scared sales would be affect in some way in the 'inferior' version. I almost convinced about this. The late leak about Crew parity give me that suspect.

Mastperf

I don't think MS has something to do with this. I suspect the same Ubisoft want intentionally parity on both platforms. Probably they are scared sales would be affect in some way in the 'inferior' version. I almost convinced about this. The late leak about Crew parity give me that suspect.
Keep in mind that the PS4 version is full 1080p with better anti-aliasing.

sdornan

I sincerely doubt Microsoft gives a shit if god rays are in one version vs. another. They have bigger things to worry about.

Purest 78

Wait, so was this really a parity patch, like legt, the effect was in the PS4 version, but not the XB1, so they removed it from the PS4 version?

I can't think of another reason, the games performance was pretty good. I can't see why a very nice visual effect would be removed.

Downgrading the game post launch when it's unnecessary makes me feel it's not worth 60 bucks either. I can give a far more deserving developer that kind of big money.

If you were on the fence of..you know.. actually playing the game, the presence of god rays or not should not really influence you.

If you were on the fence of..you know.. actually playing the game, the presence of god rays or not should not really influence you.

I've already bought the game and the knowledge that they removed a great graphics feature like godrays is just ridiculous. I need them to address this before I seriously consider boycotting Ubisoft games. I'm still holding out that this was an accident.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I've already bought the game and the knowledge that they removed a great graphics feature like godrays is just ridiculous. I need them to address this before I seriously consider boycotting Ubisoft games. I'm still holding out that this was an accident.
I'm thinking it's a bug too but this is what bothers me as well. I bought the game the day before someone figured this out.

Gurish

The xone never had them in the first place. Only the ps4 version.
Wonder why it wasn't mentioned by DF, how did they manage to miss that PS4 has that effect while missing from the XB1? it's not such a minor thing, but to find a scene where the game runs in -1 fps on PS4 compared to the XB1 (while most of the time it runs better in PS4 as well) they managed to find without any problem...

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Wonder why it wasn't mentioned by DF, how did they manage to miss that PS4 has that effect while missing from the XB1? it's not such a minor thing, but to find a scene where the game runs in -1 fps on PS4 compared to the XB1 (while most of the time it runs better in PS4 as well) they managed to find without any problem...
Patch went live on the 24th. When did DF run their analysis again? They always have the lastest patches installed when they do them.

Gurish

Patch went live on the 24th. When did DF run their analysis yyyyagain? They always have the lastest patches installed when they do them.
I'm talking about their initial analysis pre-patch where the PS4 had that effect while XB1 didn't, they've never mentioned it, only on the technical analysis made by that new guy I've learned about that technical disparity.

Edit: on a second read i got what you mean, i thought the patch was recent, if it was from the time DF did their analysis, it's still weird that they've missed it anyway.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm talking about their initial analysis pre-patch where the PS4 had that effect while XB1 didn't, they've never mentioned it, only on the technical analysis made by that new guy I've learned about that technical disparity.
I think their intitial article was just a quick performance analysis.

Top Bottom