• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite/Worst Black comedies of the 90's/2000's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exile20

How come there are not a lot of good black comedies anymore? Back in the day there were a lot, some were terrible but there were some great ones. A lot of the below shows were a huge part of my childhood/teenage years.

A Different World (1987-1993)
Family Matters (1989-1998)
The Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air (1990-1996)
Hangin' with Mr. Cooper (1992-1997)
The Hughleys (1998-2002)
The Jamie Foxx Show (1996-2001)
Kenan & Kel (1996-2000)
Living Single (1993-1998)
In the House (1995-1999)
The Parent Hood (1995-1999)
Malcolm & Eddie (1996-2000)
Martin (1992-1997)
Moesha (1996-2001)
The Parkers (1999-2004)
Roc (1991-1994)
Sister, Sister (1994-1999)
Smart Guy (1997-1999)
The Steve Harvey Show (1996-2002)
The Wayans Bros. (1995-1999)
Second Time Around (2004-2005)
My Wife and Kids (2001-2005)
The Bernie Mac Show (2001–2006)
Half & Half (2002-2006)
Eve (2003–2006)

Am I missing any?

norm9

You missed Homeboys In Outer Space.

Seriously though-
In Living Color (how you forget this?)
The PJ's.

ETA- Wasn't a comedy, but South Central on Fox was one of my favorite shows as a kid. Dealt with real issues.

Bleepey

My Cousin Skeeter. It took me a couple minutes to think of American Black sitcoms without checking wikipedia.

Apt101

Man I was a small child at the time of most of these, but I remember Martin being the most genuinely funny sitcom. In Living Color, however, was the best of any genre.

I remember not liking Roc but I think it dealt with more dramatic stuff, so it was going over my young head.

Hah, I thought this was about black humor not in a literal term but in a dark sense of humor.

Growing up I really liked:

Fresh Prince
PJs
My Brother and Me
Cousin Skeeter
Kennan And Kel
Smart Guy

Seesaw15

Cousin-Skeeter-480x321.jpg

Watch Black-ish. Black-ish is great. It started off really stereotypical but has really come into its own this season.

I mentioned this in that friends thread - they just did an episode in which Dre talks about the Cosby show and how he tried to pattern his life and parenting skills around Heathcliff Huxtable. That really hit home with me as I did the same thing and know a lot of other people who did the same, including my wife.

rtcn63

I remember being somewhat confused when Micheal disappeared on The Parent Hood and was replaced by the kid who tried to steal something or other. Plus Da Brat.

And White Mike from The Wayans Brothers becoming a teacher.

I loved the Martinintro

Slightly on topic, but we should have a "Favorite cast replacement where they couldn't even bother to find another actress remotely similar". It couldn't have only been Aunt Viv and the daughter in My Wife and Kids

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Family Matters, In Living Color, Martin, Fresh Prince, Hangin' With Mr. Cooper, Living Single, Sister Sister, Kenan and Kel. So much good stuff.

I feel like the only thing I watched as a kid was black comedies. Maybe that's why I find TV so boring nowadays.

blakep267

I loved

Bernie Mac
Cosby

Fresh prince and Family Matters are shows that I didn't hate but I only watched then when I was bored or as background stuff. As I've gotten older I've come to be less cold on Fresh prince

I hated
- everybody hates Chris
- Jamie Foxx show
- Wayans bros
-Martin
- Steve Harvey
- My wife and kids( aside from Franklin. He was hilarious)

I just never really found those shows funny

blakep267

I had such a crush on that girl when I was growing up.

My brother would watch Fresh Prince ALL the fucking time and I could not stand it. I hated that show.
Its funny I was the opposite. I thought Meagan Good was kinda funny looking back then and I may be wrong but I think she had a lisp. Then she grew up of course

For me, In Living Color was appointment television. I was like 10-11, but it felt soooo good to see Vanilla Ice get eviscerated at the time and hear the other side of the story. Growing up in Oklahoma you'd think Vanilla Ice was fucking Kendrick Lamar or something. There were a million other amazing sketches too. Like to hear it here it goes!

Fresh Prince, Steve Harvey, Martin, Jamie Foxx, and the Wayans Bros were all my go tos.

Thank's to BounceTV I got into the Parenthood again, wasn't a bad show until like it's final season.

Kenan and Kel and The Bernie Mac Show are probably my favorite from that list, but I remember watching Macolm and Eddie, Martin, Sister, Sister, Smart Guy, and the Wayans Bros.

My mom religiously watched Living Single though.

I wasn't introduced to In Living Color until we subscribed to Netflix and my mom ordered the DVD's for me to watch.

Galang

Banned
I think I literally loved every black comedy that was available for me.

I loved:
Steve Harvey
Jamie Foxx
Smart Guy
The Parkers
Fresh Prince
Kenan And Kel
That's so Raven

Don't really remember hating anything. I think black comedies of that time and before were all top notch television for the most part.

I rarely watched Moesha but the other day I was listening to a podcast and they were talking about unresolved cliffhangers and apparently on Moesha the main kid was kidnapped and sold?? And it like never got resolved and Keke Palmer asked Brandy about it on her show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zzvPFaehqM

On a random note I watched My Wife and Kids a lot more on ABC Family than when it aired and that was not a bad show but then every episode in the later seasons seemed to have the genius kid just solve all their problems and it wasn't good anymore.

Sanjuro

Family Matters (1989-1998)
The Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air (1990-1996)
Hangin' with Mr. Cooper (1992-1997)
The Jamie Foxx Show (1996-2001)
Kenan & Kel (1996-2000)
Malcolm & Eddie (1996-2000)
Martin (1992-1997)
Sister, Sister (1994-1999)
Smart Guy (1997-1999)
The Wayans Bros. (1995-1999)
The Bernie Mac Show (2001–2006)

Am I missing any?

I watched these. Cosby Mysteries and Cosby if that even counts. Most were ABC Friday Night and upstart WB programing I felt like.

In Living Color should count too.

Exile20

I rarely watched Moesha but the other day I was listening to a podcast and they were talking about unresolved cliffhangers and apparently on Moesha the main kid was kidnapped and sold?? And it like never got resolved and Keke Palmer asked Brandy about it on her show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zzvPFaehqM

On a random note I watched My Wife and Kids a lot more on ABC Family than when it aired and that was not a bad show but then every episode in the later seasons seemed to have the genius kid just solve all their problems and it wasn't good anymore.

Keke Palmer has her own show now? I have not watched BET in probably 10 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom